Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Suddenly, patch.

Ben's Raincoat is a less boring item now and no longer lets you cheat Eclipse 8. Goobo Jr. got a huge buff. And it turns out Brittle Crown never actually had a downside until now, lol.

Otherwise just a buttload of bug fixes, including a hell of a lot of Simulacrum cleanup. Rockets can proc rockets again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
I’m working my way through vanilla monsoon runs to unlock skins, and last night I found some stompers while playing commando. I used my wax quail to trimp up to the skybox, then just oneshot stomped everything around the teleporter while laughing like a maniac. 10/10 would stomp again

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Please don't kick my dick

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Suddenly, patch.

Ben's Raincoat is a less boring item now and no longer lets you cheat Eclipse 8.

Haven't had one drop since the patch, but that kind of sounds like a huge nerf? Like, most things that apply debuffs do it continually in an AoE, or in multiple shots, so just stopping one seems like a drastic reduction from stopping all of them. Sounds more like a decent green now instead of a red. On the other hand, desk plant is a red so my argument is invalid.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

yeah it really fuckin sucks that ben's raincoat doesn't invalidate collapse anymore. i liked that part

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha oh man, I just had one of those god runs. went for a quick monsoon run with acrid, the first items I picked up were: ceremonial daggers, monster tooth, 57 leaf clover. from then on the run just played itself mostly. I got the shattering justice hammer in the 4th stage and then got a tesla coil along the way. I also had like six insta-kill lenses so I just had to hop around the map and everything got instakilled. i love this game 10/10

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
It seems like a better way to handle the braincoat rework is to have the debuff block last a couple of seconds, preventing you from being debuffed during its duration.
That said, it's a huge improvement over before where it trivialized the biggest challenge in the game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tax Evasion posted:

It seems like a better way to handle the braincoat rework is to have the debuff block last a couple of seconds, preventing you from being debuffed during its duration.
That said, it's a huge improvement over before where it trivialized the biggest challenge in the game.

In a game where a sufficiently upgraded character can appear in a level and wipe it out without firing a single shot, I don't think an argument that anything is overpowered has much weight. But yeah it could be less binary, and having a timed immunity period that increases as you stack more of them would be a good compromise.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Overall I think it was a mistake to have auto-attacking items; but they're so integral to the game now that if you don't have them, your run is over. It makes long runs really boring after the novelty of showing up and winning without ever clicking wears off, though. The trouble is that because these items are prevalent, in order to make the game a challenge they had to up the ante significantly with enemy damage to make anything capable of stopping a player with those items. This in turn just pushes players more towards the auto-kill items because being near and/or in LOS of an enemy is a dangerous proposition. I think the game would be a lot more fun if you still had to actually play later stages, which means engaging in direct fights, and consequently lowering enemy damage.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It's a problem you run into a lot when roguelites try to keep scaling things upward indefinitely. Either the player defense increases faster than the enemy offense, and after a certain point you only die if you actively give up, or the enemy offense increases faster than the player defense and it turns into rocket tag, which warps the game and generally forces the player into a specific playstyle if they want to continue.

To be honest I'm not sure how much you can avoid it, if the player gets real power boosts and not just playstyle changing sidegrades. You can, of course, add in strong rubber banding, so that attack boosts don't let you kill things faster and defense boosts don't keep you alive longer, but that's just trading one problem with another.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

In my experience designing a few games and playing way more, the best solution is to have a handful of different durability types that the player can transition through and build on at the relevant stages. For example, early on Health Regeneration is king because you can largely survive most attacks, you just need to be able to bounce back. Then Maximum Health starts mattering because attacks are hurting more, so you have to beef up your ability to shrug them off. Then Sustain starts mattering because enemies are beefing up too and fights are getting more slugfest-y, so you gotta maintain your health mid-combat. Then you're in the One Shot Protection era and Mobility and Damage Prevention are your best options because enemies are starting to get deadly and that's the only way you can survive.

Systems like D&D tend to pace this very well by gating feats behind specific levels so you rarely, if ever, have access to defensive systems that are too powerful for the threats you're supposed to be facing.

Risk of Rain 2, on the other hand, has a relatively equal chance of getting any type of defense at any time, with the only exceptions being Dio's Best Friend and Ben's Raincoat.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Seems like RoR2 kind of starts just under the one-shot protection range and ramps up from there. That's why healing and defensive options tend to be less valuable than movement items when it comes to damage mitigation (outside of niche cases like an engineer standing in a bungus field of three overlapping turrets). After a few levels almost anything will two-shot you, thanks to the built in one shot protection, but then a majority of the enemies either come in big groups or fire multiple shots at once, which undermines that protection pretty quickly.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
OSP is essentially a band aid fix that barely works is why shields end up being worse as the game goes on, because more than one personal shield generator breaks OSP. not to mention a bunch of enemies that hit multiple times, inflict dots etc.

the game's been really overdue for some large balance overhauls that it'll likely never receive.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

FZeroRacer posted:

OSP is essentially a band aid fix that barely works is why shields end up being worse as the game goes on, because more than one personal shield generator breaks OSP. not to mention a bunch of enemies that hit multiple times, inflict dots etc.

the game's been really overdue for some large balance overhauls that it'll likely never receive.

Yeah, although the addition of the void shrimp replacement for the ATG did a lot to make shields more useful. Not that they don't retain all the same problems, but now stacking shields lets you keep your shrimp missiles firing, and the best way to avoid damage is to kill things before they have a chance to hit you. Almost makes a transcendence build enticing again, and I've never bothered with that outside of silly meme runs because once a run gets going it's pretty hard to find 7 seconds to sit out of danger waiting for shield regen to kick in.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Despite Ben's Raincoat being heavily nerfed player side, I am glad that it's no longer incredibly crippling if enemies get it in Simulacrum or any other instance where enemies get items.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got to play a bit tonight of the expansion, the Simulacrum is pretty fun but got really boring after like wave 30. Felt pretty unstoppable until wave 50 gave enemies N'kuhana's Opinion lol. Went down immediately.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The stages where only void monsters spawn suck so much rear end. Pretty much solely because the jailers' collapse moves around.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

The stages where only void monsters spawn suck so much rear end. Pretty much solely because the jailers' collapse moves around.

Also those void turret things. Whatever they're called. I don't know if they're underpriced for the director to spawn or what, but if you get a void modifier on wave 5 it can easily delete your run right there. Tons of them spawn all over the walls, they have way too much HP and built in regen, and they're all firing player-seeking projectiles that will hit you behind cover. You need to have already gotten lucky with some movement and damage item drops to have much chance of surviving.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

dont know if anyone still playing this game cares, but the prismatic trial going on PC right now is super easy to get the Mercenary "complete prismatic trial without taking damage" challenge with. Its a trial of glass, which increases damage by 500% and reduces health to 10% and right by the start there is a lunar item that replaces the player's secondary skill with the ranged attack, which helps a ton. There's also a spare mag right by the first teleporter in the chance shrine. Bosses go down in seconds

still took a couple of tries, but once I had my route down it only took like 3 minutes or so to clear it. I was certain that I would have to cheat this challenge so Im happy that I got it legit

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Thanks for the heads up!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Xi Constructs are bullshit garbage.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I feel like MUL-T shouldn't have armor in Power Mode. He's easily the most powerful Survivor in the game because he can just tank his way through early levels while putting out brutal DPS. By the time he can't just facetank poo poo anymore, he's likely already got enough items to turn him into a DPS machine.

If it was my decision, I'd cut the armor and the slowdown from Power Mode. Both suck for entirely different reasons.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It takes me forever to get a run off the ground with Mul-T now. I don't know if it's the new annoying enemies or what. He just feels so slow (although I realize he's not really) and is hauling around such a big hitbox that blind pests or those jumpy ground enemies or the insanely fast jumping larva can just melt him before he can do much more than sprinkle a few weak shots from his spray gun.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

BobTheJanitor posted:

It takes me forever to get a run off the ground with Mul-T now. I don't know if it's the new annoying enemies or what. He just feels so slow (although I realize he's not really) and is hauling around such a big hitbox that blind pests or those jumpy ground enemies or the insanely fast jumping larva can just melt him before he can do much more than sprinkle a few weak shots from his spray gun.

Mult with the double primary can get absolutely bonkers very quickly. just need some attack speed and on hit effects. opinions among my friends are mixed but I have settled on chaingun+rebar puncher because as you say blind pests and wisps can be a problem. you can tank a lot right out of the box in power mode but spamming shift can do a lot for your survivability. It's to the point where I don't pick him anymore because the run is gonna take an hour+ but I play on monsoon with no eclipse

Ghislaine of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 3, 2022

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
His two equipment slots are great. Sawmerang + Preon Acc + one or two batteries means bosses survive for mere seconds.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't hate the equipment swapping gimmick but Power Mode is just better and benefits way more from the majority of the items in the game.

Double up on Scrap Launchers and grab a Purity from the lunar shop and never look back.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Mult with the double primary can get absolutely bonkers very quickly. just need some attack speed and on hit effects. opinions among my friends are mixed but I have settled on chaingun+rebar puncher because as you say blind pests and wisps can be a problem. you can tank a lot right out of the box in power mode but spamming shift can do a lot for your survivability. It's to the point where I don't pick him anymore because the run is gonna take an hour+ but I play on monsoon with no eclipse

That may be why I remember him as a pain, last time I played him was specifically to unlock power mode (I kind of took a long break after 1.0 came out), and that was so frustrating to get a run going that I haven't touched him since. Yes, not even to try out the skill that I was trying to unlock. :v:

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
The real benefit of equipment swapping isn’t double Preons, as those fall off pretty quickly. It’s having both Recycler and Executive Card at the same time and having so much more and better loot.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

double nailgun mul-t is a monster. Get some on-hit items and youll destroy any enemy. Lack of range kinda hurts, but the crazy dps more than makes up for it imo

That being said, I dont think hes OP or even the best survivor. Power mode makes you into a huge target so im glad hes able to tank hits better than most.

Best survivor is probably Loader. They have crazy good damage with their utility, maybe the best of any skill in the game(that you can spam, shutup captain mains). They arguably have the best mobility of any survivor, which not only lets them dodge hits easily, but also makes finding the newt altar trivial, which can lead to crazy runs with OP blue items. They also have a really handy passive that lets them get overshield with each hit, and theyre immune to fall damage. This makes surviving the early game that much easier, leading to more consistent runs

I cant think of any other survivor that has such a strong kit out of the gate. Most others are able to put out near the same amount of damage, but at range, but they also have big drawbacks like being super squishy or having no movement skills. I guess it comes down to preference but id rather deal with Loader's weakness at range than any other survivor's drawbacks

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
My only problem with Loader is that I have to choose whether to take the cool satisfying ground slam move w/ bonus movement utility or the thing that lets me ignore almost every flying enemy in the game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Loader falls off hard the higher in difficulty you go - Frozen Elites can quickly lock you down and every single one of the Void enemies is designed from the ground up to punish you for playing a melee class. She's got a very strong kit, but she's harshly impacted by being melee.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Plus Loader has super high base damage but doesn't scale as high as quickly as other characters. ROR2 just gets less friendly to the one-great-big-hit style mathematically as the difficulty goes up.

She was, however, my first skin unlock, so I still love her and play her when I'm doing fun dumb sessions with friends.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shere posted:

My only problem with Loader is that I have to choose whether to take the cool satisfying ground slam move w/ bonus movement utility or the thing that lets me ignore almost every flying enemy in the game.

Also you can use the zappy ball to help trigger the buttons on Aqueduct, for those sweet sweet double bands.

My biggest problem on Loader is that the default controls suck rear end for her, very specifically. Because I want to hit sprint after starting a punch and that's not a thing my fingers can do with Shift + Ctrl.

Edit: As for which survivor is amazing out of the gate, Bandit is definitely up there. Free crits, shotgun is absurdly good even with its quirks, free built-in debuff for easier Death Mark procs, Vanish does basically everything - drop aggro at will, free movement speed, and can act as a pseudo-double jump/break a fall, and if we're including unlocks Desperado is insane and only moreso with void items. M2 is a bit limp, but it also breaks falls and the super bleed isn't the worst.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 5, 2022

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Imo shift and control being the default bindings was a bad move on the developers' part. when I started playing, I rebound the utility to M4 (the button on the side of my mouse) and special to middle click.

my vote for best survivor is acrid: you get great mobility, free scaling and AoE, and pretty much doesn't need any items (you need one medkit, one hoof and one gasoline tank and you're good). too bad that his alternate skills suck, so it's like he just has the primary ones, but oh well.

bishibosh
Mar 15, 2021

Really been enjoying the changes RiskyMod makes. The removal of proc chains especially.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bishibosh posted:

Really been enjoying the changes RiskyMod makes. The removal of proc chains especially.

Huh it makes drones how they always should've been. Might have to take it for a spin.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

My ideal drones would follow you closer without getting stuck on things, and know how to avoid damage better, especially AoE attacks. But that could be a lot of coding, so my quick and dirty drone fix would be teleporting them to you when they get X distance away, and making them immune to, or at least have a huge damage reduction from AoE attacks. And also just better damage scaling so they're actually worth picking up ever.

Not sure how that mod handles them since all I could see on their thunderstore page was something about making the drones perform the same on all levels, which isn't too informative. And when I'd originally looked at that mod and saw the first item was 'removed proc chains' I nope'd out immediately. Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like 'removed ability to do damage past the first loop' to me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I play ROR2 with a bunch of class and item mods these days, would those balance ones even work with all that stuff?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Drones at the very least shouldn't take damage from the void. You go drone heavy and you will regret it if you jump into one of those levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The void zones need some major tweaks. It shouldn't be that hard finding all the enemies inside them to collapse them, even with the arrows pointing in their direction. And yeah, drones just kill themselves in them.