Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The sheep got into the wrong pasture...

What a good girl. Heelers are so cool. Scout does a pretty good job getting all those sheep moved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I should note that she hasn't actually been trained yet. That was only her 3rd time really being asked to help. I got home from a 7 hour shearing job and there was no way that I was getting those sheep in on my own so I pulled Scout out of her crate and tossed her to the sheep. I was hoping to start up herding lessons with her this month but my oldest dog needed $550 of vet care unexpectedly so it's probably not going to be in my budget until next month.

She's a real good baby dog though :kimchi:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mina supervising :3

i hope major is doing ok

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

I should note that she hasn't actually been trained yet. That was only her 3rd time really being asked to help. I got home from a 7 hour shearing job and there was no way that I was getting those sheep in on my own so I pulled Scout out of her crate and tossed her to the sheep. I was hoping to start up herding lessons with her this month but my oldest dog needed $550 of vet care unexpectedly so it's probably not going to be in my budget until next month.

She's a real good baby dog though :kimchi:

I've had 3 different heelers and I only needed minimal training for any of them. They're scary smart. The only one that ever gave me any problems was my boy Jack. He had a year of adolescent rebellion where everything was a struggle. They're basically just a great breed. They're so good at figuring out what you want and keeping their eye on you. Bet you only need a few lessons for Scout to get it figured out. She's already doing a fantastic job even though she's still really young and excited.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Mina supervising :3

i hope major is doing ok

Major is doing much better! He broke a tooth and when they put him under to remove it they noticed he was bleeding/bruising super easily. They took off the broken tooth slab, x rayed him to make sure he didn't have secret cancer (he didn't!), ran some clotting tests (all normal) and then called me to pick him up. When I got there he was struggling to walk and we were all terrified he somehow damaged his spine but he's almost back to 100% now so he was probably just too drugged, too stressed and too tired. We're just going to leave the tooth unless it gets super infected or something now.

He's such a stoic, spry dog it is sometimes easy to forget that he's a 13 year old saint bernard mix and isn't going to be around forever.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lambs are just about ready to be weaned and 3 already have a new home lined up!

Biscuit

Alberic

Wanderer, you can't even tell his leg was turned into a pretzel at one point!

Waltz, she's staying

Wildfire, she's staying too

I never did name this one but she's got a home lined up

Flutterbye

Marina, she's going with the cormo

Knockout

Ink Spot

Bonica, she's going with the other two

Bordeaux

Colt. He's the size of the adult jacobs already, it's ridiculous

Juno

Beep

Serendipity, he's staying

Souvenir, he's also staying

Rio, the oops lamb

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ink Spot has nice horns!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Those are some good babies. Good coats good horns.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

biscuit and beep look so good!!!!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Some of these rams are already looking really dignified.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
those are some very handsome sheepies

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Knockouts quad is so awesome looking. When the lateral horns grow backwards instead of downish like serendipity, do they get in the way of the ears sometimes?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

dismas posted:

biscuit and beep look so good!!!!

:neckbeard:

And Wildfire has such a sweet face.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ILL Machina posted:

Knockouts quad is so awesome looking. When the lateral horns grow backwards instead of downish like serendipity, do they get in the way of the ears sometimes?

Sometimes ears do get stuck behind or in front of ears. Or on really bad fly years the ears will get raw from thwapping into the horns and it takes forever to heal them up. It's mostly only a problem when the horns either curl into the neck or face, or tip forward so far that they can't graze properly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do you feel like telling us how you decided which ones to keep?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you feel like telling us how you decided which ones to keep?

I wanted a girl out of Wendigo and I couldn't decide which so I'll just grow them both out. Wendigo is a big girl with amazing fleece but she only has half a working udder and is getting up there in years so I wanted to retire her after I got a replacement out of her.

I needed a new ram this year but Woodrose was bred to a ram completely unrelated to my lines so I can just use her ram lambs instead. Again, I couldn't decide on the 2 or 4 horn so I'll just grow both out for more options. Woodrose's fleece is just spectacular and her breeder doesn't breed lilacs anymore so I'm glad to keep her line around.

All the lambs are nice but it comes down to what genetics I need to keep around. I'm trying to keep my flock size reasonable by only keeping back lambs if I think they're good enough to replace their dams so for some ewes those would have to be pretty fantastic lambs for me to be tempted to keep them.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Are you keeping Beep?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm not planning on it. I'm hoping to decrease my cormo flock significantly this year so I don't need to be keeping back any lambs. I just really want to focus on my jacobs more going forward.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
They're so big now! Lambs grow up in a flash, don't they?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm about to see Lamb, so I'm thinking of you and your babies. The good cute animal parts, not the horror poo poo.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Excellent timing for bumping this up because today I put breeding groups together today! Expect a bunch of spotty lambs in 150-ish days. I’m only breeding the Jacobs this year but I am breeding like 17 of them so there should be lots of spots.

I’ve been super busy showing and competing with my little dog but I’ll try to get some pictures of the creatures soon.

Beep is now happily in a home with a couple other bottle babies and some homeschool kids that are crazy about them :kimchi:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Beep is now happily in a home with a couple other bottle babies and some homeschool kids that are crazy about them :kimchi:

Yessss. Ultimate payoff this thread rules.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so happy to hear that about Beep!

Congrats and good luck with all the coming lamblets.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Excellent timing for bumping this up because today I put breeding groups together today! Expect a bunch of spotty lambs in 150-ish days. I’m only breeding the Jacobs this year but I am breeding like 17 of them so there should be lots of spots.

I’ve been super busy showing and competing with my little dog but I’ll try to get some pictures of the creatures soon.

Happy for Beep and happy to hear that you've been hopefully having fun. Can't wait to see some spotty littles.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

That's so awesome and I'm very jealous! Some day I will put money away for an awesome jacob tattoo instead of just buying more sheep and sheep supplies.

like a year late, but I want to point out that you can almost definitely barter some tattoo work for meat/tanned hide/jacob's skull. Like you'd probably get a comparative bargain and tattoo artists in general are obsessed with skulls

Also this thread owns and you and your sheep own

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like sheep so I like this thread.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I had to take pictures of some of the keeper lambs for registration and figured you all might want to see some lambs too. They're all 6-7 months old now.

Wildfire

Waltz

Juno, who was supposed to be sold but no one was interested so I'm happy to hang onto her

Serendipity

Souvenir

These aren't all of them, just the ones I needed to register.

Flutterbye, Marina, Bonica, Rio, the black cormo ewe, and Beep all got excellent homes over the summer :3:

Breeding groups this year are:
Logan with Daphne, Indigo, and Dianthus (and maybe Pistachio, he was being a butt about dividers)
Reuben with Aster, Betty, Sassafras, and Aphrodite
I'm with Woodrose, Holly, and Mariposa
Serendipity with Keepsake, Dulcet, and Jubilee
Souvenir with Pennyroyal, Pansy, and Pistachio but they're huge bitches and only Pansy wasn't just beating the snot out of him so I might have to change rams and try again next cycle

Everyone (except maybe Souvenir's girls) should be bred and due by March 16th.

Also I wasn't going to breed any cormos but they were in love and who am I to stand in the way of love?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

what a great thread

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat, Serendipity is pretty.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Aww, sheep love.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Wildfire is gorgeous

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Good sheep, cute couple, hope things go as well and smoothly as possible!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

I'm with Woodrose, Holly, and Mariposa

One of your rams is named "I'm"?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

dismas posted:

Wildfire is gorgeous

Regal. Princely.

Love the cormo love :kimchi:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

One of your rams is named "I'm"?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm really named himself, but he forgot to take the capslock off. He's registered as I'm the Man and is a very sweet lad.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It stopped raining briefly and I wanted to take dog pictures so here are some sheep pictures too. These are all rams just hanging out in the ram pasture for the winter.

Colt

Biscuit

Wander

Inkspot

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Does Wander have stripes on his horns?!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Ngl biscuit and colt look like assholes. Maybe that's just resting ram face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
How do you get sheep with four horns? I thought they only grew two if they grew any at all.