Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The instigator.

this is the greatest photo, look at that victorious little smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

nankeen posted:

this is the greatest photo, look at that victorious little smile

What's this? Crumbses on his jacket?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Breeding groups went together today so be on the lookout for lambs in about 148 days. No baby goats this year because I don't have a buck. We'll see how I feel about them next year.

Also next year is the farm's 10 year anniversary so I've been working on an art project featuring some of our great ladies.

Jazz

Moose

Taffy

Valkyrie

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Those portraits are amazing. I hope goons rise to this occasion and create some masterpieces to go with them. I feel like this deserves a GBS thread and a banner ad. Unless you want then you be just your works, of course, which is equally excellent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breeding groups went together today so be on the lookout for lambs in about 148 days. No baby goats this year because I don't have a buck. We'll see how I feel about them next year.

Also next year is the farm's 10 year anniversary so I've been working on an art project featuring some of our great ladies.

Jazz

It looks like she's got a hoof raised and is debating whether or not to buy a boat.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ILL Machina posted:

Those portraits are amazing. I hope goons rise to this occasion and create some masterpieces to go with them. I feel like this deserves a GBS thread and a banner ad. Unless you want then you be just your works, of course, which is equally excellent.

I have plans for them but I always love to see art of my critters if anyone is inspired. I’ll show you all my things when I’m done!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We're off to NC to show at SAFF this weekend. I feel like I've used up all my wins for the year so I'm just going to have fun with my sheep friends and hopefully sell some lambs.

The judge is the same as last year and he didn't especially like my sheep then. What're you gonna do :shrug:

Coming with me are:

I'm

Logan

Iris

Peach

Sunflower

3/5 are decent on halter, 2 are still pretty mad about it but I haven't had time to put as much work into it as usual. Luckily people have pretty low standards for jacob behavior in shows.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Good luck at the show! I'm hoping the judge may have had his heart grow three sizes since last year, because your sheep continue to be wonderful.

Edit: I didn't ask initially because I figure you have better things to worry about on your trip, but when you get back, how's Hawthorn holding up? Hopefully the imbalance from his horns doesn't bother him too much. Do sheep feel shame? I'm guessing not, but is he bothered by the horn being gone at all or is it just the new normal for him now?

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 24, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chaosfeather posted:

Good luck at the show! I'm hoping the judge may have had his heart grow three sizes since last year, because your sheep continue to be wonderful.

And if not, you could always arrange for I'm to "accidentally" gore him with those very impressive horns.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chaosfeather posted:

Edit: I didn't ask initially because I figure you have better things to worry about on your trip, but when you get back, how's Hawthorn holding up? Hopefully the imbalance from his horns doesn't bother him too much. Do sheep feel shame? I'm guessing not, but is he bothered by the horn being gone at all or is it just the new normal for him now?

Oh he's totally fine. Healed up really well. Missing a horn doesn't seem to bother him but right now all 2 braincells are focused on impressing girls so I'm not sure he has put much thought into it.

Here's his daddy Isadore too. I meant to post these pictures earlier but I've been dealing with some surprise kittens for the last couple weeks in addition to shearing and getting ready for the show so I've been a bit distracted.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I forgot to update on the show. I did ok! Logan was most impressive getting 3rd in his class in both the jacob specialty judged by a really great jacob breeder and in the open show judged by the guy who didn't especially like my sheep last year. Gotta love that consistency. Several breeders were interested in seeing him all grown out, everyone just already has their rams for the year at this point.

Then I got some 4ths and 5ths and like a 7th? There were some good sheep there and I had a good time hanging out with my friends so it was a successful trip. Crowds were way down because of a legionnaires outbreak but I still managed to sell a ewe lamb. The two boys and my tiny girls were happy to be done with show life and get home to some grass in their quarantine pen.

Next year the judge is going to be the same as the judge at AGM who really liked my sheep so I'm looking forward to that.

Despite not selling as many sheep as I had hoped, I'm bringing home some new ones soon. Monty's breeder is having to disperse his flock, which has been beating people in fleece competitions up and down the east coast for years, and I just had to help a pal out. I really wanted some of his amazing grey cormo crosses but we need to focus on whites right now because Moose is 12 and is probably getting close to the end, and Page is 10 and can't be bred leaving us only Petitfour and Cupcake who are full sisters. Which brings us to:
1131, a two year old

and 1276, a lamb who has such a Moose face that I couldn't say no

Then I already called dibs on Monty's mom, Wendigo

And she needed a buddy to help her integrate into my flock, so Betty had to come too.

There were many more sheep I wanted but I have a limited amount of hay in my barn and money to buy sheep so I had to restrain myself. Hoping to pick these girls up next weekend!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Congrats on the showing and those are some gorgeous looking new ewes. Can't wait to see those new babies from them next year!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
majestic flock

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I managed to forget to latch the gate to the rams' pasture yesterday and came home from dropping my foster kitten off at the rescue to a big old co-ed pasture party. Also yesterday is the day any who didn't take during planned breeding would have started cycling again. Currently my plan is to do pregnancy tests on everyone who is supposed to be bred 30 days from their original breeding date (tests need to be done at least 30 days post breeding) then any that don't come back as pregnant are getting the sheep morning after pill and being bred to their proper ram after that because I don't know if any first timers were bred by huge rams or anything right now. All old ladies are getting the shot as well, I don't need any 15 year olds lambing Jazz. Any ewes I miss in this process will lamb right around April 1st so it seems fitting.

Speaking of Jazz, today is the 9th anniversary of getting our first sheep, including Ms. Jazzy herself. We still have her, Juniper, and Daisy out of our original 7 ewes, which isn't bad considering 4 of them were older ewes at the time and one simply got sent to a pet home where she is still enjoying herself. I never imagined when we got started how much I would like these funny creatures :kimchi:

Here's the very first picture I took of the old loudmouth pain in the rear end. She walked right off the trailer like she owned the place and has been a total diva ever since.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

she doesn't?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

All my doors are latched on both sides and have a puppy x pen surrounding them because she knows how to open doors several different ways. She is the most fiendishly clever animal on the farm and I have a cattle dog mix. I don't know what I will ever do without her screaming demands at me constantly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How often has Jazz just suddenly turned up in the house over the years? :stare:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All my doors are latched on both sides and have a puppy x pen surrounding them because she knows how to open doors several different ways. She is the most fiendishly clever animal on the farm and I have a cattle dog mix. I don't know what I will ever do without her screaming demands at me constantly.

omg you have a cattle dog mix? I love collies. can we see her?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is that Mina or Major?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major is the cattle dog mix. Half saint (bernard), half satan.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How often has Jazz just suddenly turned up in the house over the years? :stare:

She doesn't come all the way to the house, there is nothing she wants here. She breaks into the feed room where she feels she should be able to just live. The feed room doors have to be barricaded like its a zombie apocalypse to keep her out of it and she can't even get to the grain when she gets in there anymore because I keep it in an old chest freezer now. That doesn't stop her from attempting to break in though.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

wtf a saint bernard cattledog cross is all i have ever wanted in life and i only just realised it now

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

saint battledog

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I don't know who thought a 75 lb dog with a cattle dog brain was a good idea but they were wrong (I'm sure no human had any thoughts regarding his conception). He is very handsome though. He has a collar tag that says "trust me you don't want him".

Managed to fit 6 sheep into my CR-V and got them home from NY yesterday. Today I'm helping a friend attempt to wrangle a mostly feral flock of clun forest sheep into a trailer but I'll get you pictures of the new girls that slipped in with the 4 I was originally planning on buying at some point.

Edit: according to Embark the saint was his dad!

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 10, 2019

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Recently we had a little oopsie involving the gate to the ram pasture not being latched properly. Got home from dropping the kitten I found off at a rescue and thought it was weird that I couldn't see any of my ewes in the pasture. Went to let the dog out and it turns out I couldn't see them because they were all in the rams' pasture. I must not have latched the gate properly after feeding hay and it blew open. Luckily it was surprisingly easy to sort everyone out and most of the ewes should have been a couple weeks bred already. Of course this happened the day any ewes that hadn't been bred when they were supposed to would have been cycling again though and they were in with all of my (many) rams.

What I decided to do was to run blood pregnancy tests on everyone who is supposed to be bred already 30 days after they were originally supposed to have been bred. Anyone who came up open or with low pregnancy hormone levels got bred during the free for all and will get a dose of sheep morning after pill, along with any of the old grandmas and young ladies who were not supposed to be bred at all. That meant I had 20 sheep to draw blood on, so I invited anyone who wanted to learn to come out last weekend and give it a try. We pulled blood on everyone in less than 2 hours and everyone who showed up managed to get blood at least once. I was super proud of them, especially since I think they all had needle phobias.

Just a box full of sheep blood, totally normal mail sent out on Monday.

Results got in today.

Only 4 that need dealing with! Truffle is a goat, I just wanted to make sure her son didn't breed her before he was weaned. Petitfour got her dose and got shoved in with Punch and the new cormo ewes that are still in quarantine. I need to figure out what I'm doing with Maddie and the two romeldales. I might just not breed them this year as we're getting late in the season and setting up new breeding groups is going to be a big fiasco. I've got 22 other ewes lambing, I think I'll have plenty of lambs even without them.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Recently we had a little oopsie involving the gate to the ram pasture not being latched properly. Got home from dropping the kitten I found off at a rescue and thought it was weird that I couldn't see any of my ewes in the pasture. Went to let the dog out and it turns out I couldn't see them because they were all in the rams' pasture. I must not have latched the gate properly after feeding hay and it blew open. Luckily it was surprisingly easy to sort everyone out and most of the ewes should have been a couple weeks bred already. Of course this happened the day any ewes that hadn't been bred when they were supposed to would have been cycling again though and they were in with all of my (many) rams.

What I decided to do was to run blood pregnancy tests on everyone who is supposed to be bred already 30 days after they were originally supposed to have been bred. Anyone who came up open or with low pregnancy hormone levels got bred during the free for all and will get a dose of sheep morning after pill, along with any of the old grandmas and young ladies who were not supposed to be bred at all. That meant I had 20 sheep to draw blood on, so I invited anyone who wanted to learn to come out last weekend and give it a try. We pulled blood on everyone in less than 2 hours and everyone who showed up managed to get blood at least once. I was super proud of them, especially since I think they all had needle phobias.

Just a box full of sheep blood, totally normal mail sent out on Monday.

Results got in today.

Only 4 that need dealing with! Truffle is a goat, I just wanted to make sure her son didn't breed her before he was weaned. Petitfour got her dose and got shoved in with Punch and the new cormo ewes that are still in quarantine. I need to figure out what I'm doing with Maddie and the two romeldales. I might just not breed them this year as we're getting late in the season and setting up new breeding groups is going to be a big fiasco. I've got 22 other ewes lambing, I think I'll have plenty of lambs even without them.

That's super cool that you turned it into a learning experience! I know I always had trouble with restraining animals for a blood pull when I worked at the vet clinic. Part of that is because I am short (hard to restrain something that's taller than you due to the table or you can't wrap your arms around) but part of that is because I didn't really get much practice.

I'm guessing those red marks on the test were an edit from you just to highlight who needed attention?

Anyway, all I can think of with the latch is how pet birds sometimes learn to unlatch their own cage so you have to put a lock on it to prevent them from doing stupid poo poo while you aren't home. Clearly this is just the sheep version of that - someone learned how to open the gate with their horns and now you need zipties or something.

As much as it seems like a fun joke, is that even possible? Have you heard of sheep or goats that get that clever?

Also, Happy Thanksgiving!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There's a reason all of my gates and stuff have latches or locks that require keys and/or thumbs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chaosfeather posted:

I'm guessing those red marks on the test were an edit from you just to highlight who needed attention?

As much as it seems like a fun joke, is that even possible? Have you heard of sheep or goats that get that clever?

Also, Happy Thanksgiving!

Yeah, those were just my marks.

Jazz is wickedly clever and can open many different types of doors. She is also the reason we can't use electronet fence because she learned she could pry up the posts with her horns and scoot under without getting shocked. Other sheep would try to follow her and get hopelessly tangled. This accident was just me being a dingus and forgetting to properly chain the gate though.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Don't want to lose this thread so I'm bumping it without any pictures. Sorry! Farming in the winter is boring.

Two months until lambs! I'm pregnancy testing goats this week too because some are suspiciously fat.

Also if anyone is going to the Ohio Viking Festival this summer I was asked to provide sheep and viking sheep information so come say hi to me and I'm!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is the flock in good health? Any recent adventures? How's Major and Mina?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Flock are all progressively more and more pregnant and crabby. Hawthorn had a respiratory infection from the crazy weather but it cleared right up. The one good thing about the random warm weather is it gave me time to get a bunch of hides out of my freezer and fleshed so I can send them off to be tanned.

Dogs I have pictures of. Mina has been wanting to come in during the afternoons for naps and now she's in heat so they've been spending a lot of time in the house together. I was concerned because Mina is 2 and has never spent a significant amount of time indoors before but she has perfect manners and is generally the easiest dog in the universe. She still goes out at night and does her barking at coyotes job (or is locked up in the barn with the sheep) but she seems to enjoy a little time off for a peanut butter kong and a snooze on the couch.

Also she got to tell Santa what a good girl she is.

One of my friends was talking to me about getting a companion for her lgd and was talking about getting a karakachan. I convinced her she instead wanted one of Mina's half brothers so she's bringing home this baby polar bear soon. He's got the same dad as Mina but a different mom. Hopefully he turns out just as awesome as my baby puppy.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
every living creature on your farm is the perfect creature :swoon:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is there any reason you're not spaying Mina?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Cythereal posted:

She'll be spayed when she's fully mature. Probably sometime this year. I don't feel comfortable with pediatric spays on giant dogs and don't have a problem keeping her away from males.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

She'll be spayed when she's fully mature. Probably sometime this year. I don't feel comfortable with pediatric spays on giant dogs and don't have a problem keeping her away from males.

I don't know why or how, but I swear this is a prelude to surprise puppies.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

SHUT UP

we needs them

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A lot of people would be very happy if I bred her (seriously, I get asked a lot) but I promised Major no more puppies in his life time, and he's going to live forever soooo

Growing up we were always super pro getting your dog spayed as early as possible so having an intact bitch has been new for me but it turns out they don't just spontaneously start shooting out puppies just because they have a uterus and while can accidents happen to anyone it's not impossible to avoid an unwanted pregnancy.

The most annoying part is Horny Dog Week where Major turns into Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame instead of just ignoring Mina like he usually does (he's been neutered for a decade).
Just imagine this song but with Mina gleefully flailing in the background, just happy someone is paying attention to her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

I am the Virgin Mary in the scenario, yelling at him to just walk away.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't know why or how, but I swear this is a prelude to surprise puppies.

Instant Jellyfish is a very, very good and responsible person when it comes to her dogs (all her critters but that's beside the point) and that isn't happening. I fully support her reasoning not to pediatric spay a bitch who will rely on her joints and bones for protection purposes for at least a decade to come.

Cythereal posted:

There are studies currently happening that have findings regarding higher incidences of bone cancer, ACL issues, and so forth in giant breeds that have pediatric spays. Given the long-term impact of pediatric spay in giant dogs, this isn't terribly surprising. A lot of vets are becoming aware of it, too.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I had no idea that was a thing! Thank you both for making me aware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Instant Jellyfish is a very, very good and responsible person when it comes to her dogs (all her critters but that's beside the point) and that isn't happening. I fully support her reasoning not to pediatric spay a bitch who will rely on her joints and bones for protection purposes for at least a decade to come.

There are studies currently happening that have findings regarding higher incidences of bone cancer, ACL issues, and so forth in giant breeds that have pediatric spays. Given the long-term impact of pediatric spay in giant dogs, this isn't terribly surprising. A lot of vets are becoming aware of it, too.

It was a joke about tempting fate :ssh:. I'm fully aware IJ is a very good and responsible person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I was not bothered by questions :shobon:

I've been in PI long enough (holy poo poo almost 13 years) to handle people asking about intact bitches, we're all intact bitches here anyway.