Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Easter lambs! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yay more lambs! :neckbeard:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The four horned rams generally have thicker horns with more blood flow so they don't break as often as lambs but it's a lot more messy when they do.

Oh I can just imagine. Thanks for the pictures and all the explanations!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Congrats on the showing and those are some gorgeous looking new ewes. Can't wait to see those new babies from them next year!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chocolate goat

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Never apologize for so many pictures of your beautiful lambs. I love all their spotty coats!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh! The other exciting sheep news is that I'm now the director for my region in the Jacob Sheep Breeders Association. If you're in the midwest and interested in registered jacob sheep I'm now officially the person to talk to.

There are only 25-30 registered breeders in my region so it's not that impressive but I appreciate being elected anyway. I'm one of the youngest people on the board, despite being in my 30s, so I've had to explain to everyone what the difference between a Facebook page and a Facebook group is, and how an Instagram hashtag isn't an Instagram account. Finding a volunteer social media manager for the association is my first order of business.

Edit:

A breeder I know just had this pure white jacob born (jacobs are black with white spots so current theory is that she just has one giant spot covering her whole body) and they just look so weird without spots.

This is great news and a beautiful lamb!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Good luck on the lambing, hope everyone comes out okay!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Good luck little guy we're all rooting for you! But yeah it's crazy how fetal development works.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Happy birthday Major!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nope, sheep breeding is more hands on than you'd expect.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Here's hoping for two healthy lambs!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What a handsome ram!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's sad the ewe essentially abandoned the lamb, but the lamb is adorable and will now love you forever.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Those are some good babies. Good coats good horns.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's a breed of four horned sheep, the Jacobs. Op has several.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wow that's the dumbest way I've heard of a sheep killing themselves. Usually they play follow the leader and jump off a drat cliff while they're being herded somewhere.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Good lamb, good ram, make sure you go up big and strong little fella, we can't wait to see your horns!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yep! Jacobs come in black/white and lilac/white which is just a recessive dilute form of black. It can be anywhere from a slate blue/grey to a chocolate. We're not exactly sure what causes the variation in shades, probably some additional modifier. We keep offering money to folks to figure it out (I'm on the science and research committee of the breed club) for us but no one is that interested in sheep color genetics.

I'm interested in sheep color genetics, but unfortunately my knowledge of genetics tips out at Mendle so no help there, sorry. Love those lambs though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lambs are just great :swoon:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh man so many babies! :swoon:
Love to see so many healthy lambs, good job!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hutla posted:

I love baby lamb time, it's the best!

It's also fascinating with all the things that have to be carefully done to ensure healthy lambs, I do think they're cute though :neckbeard:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I would like some pictures of Beep Beep and Boop of course please. Sheep and goats are my favorite ruminants.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Goats! :neckbeard:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Good job Scout! You herd those goats!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Good luck on your little ones! I love baby goats.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sheep babies :neckbeard:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're so fuzzy!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Baby goats! :neckbeard: kinda sad you had to let the buck go so early, but it means less work for you so in the end it's fine. Weird that she wouldn't bond with the kids, that happen often in your experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Surprise goats are always stressful but you did a good job since they all made it. Cute babies.