Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Throughout history, our sense of taste has protected us. It has caused us to crave the most nutritious and filling foods, it has warned us of spoil and poison. It brings joy and excitement to our otherwise mundane daily lives. But it it is a fickle sense, and easily mislays us.

This challenge may be the greatest in NICSA history. I understand if it proves to be unpopular. But we are all brave goons, and I have faith in all of you.

The challenge is

FOODS YOU HATE

I bet every single one of us has a food that they hate. Perhaps a vegetable they were forced to eat as a kid, or a badly prepared dish we were served in the past. Maybe something about the ingredient is just slimy, weird, smelly, or otherwise distasteful. Maybe it brings up bad memories. Maybe it's something your entire culture finds distasteful, and were trained to fear from childhood. My friends, the fear ends NOW. Because nothing solves conflict like bonding over a meal.

Participants must cook ONE dish, containing at minimum, one ingredient they dislike, OR, attempt to cook a dish they dislike. It can be a preparation they have had and disliked in the past, or a new preparation using the ingredient in a novel new way. Participants must document the cooking process and final product. Participants must also explain why they have disliked the ingredient/dish, and attempt to understand, and possibly enjoy the ingredient. Bonus for writeups detailing the history and any interesting facts about the ingredient, because knowledge and understanding is how we conquer fear! It does not matter if you don't like your final dish, but you must try three bites, because THAT'S THE RULES.

(and now, some more rules)

Wroughtirony posted:

What is ICSA?
ICSA (Iron Chef Something Awful) is a series of online cooking contests loosely based on the Iron Chef TV series. In each contest, contestants must design and execute a menu based on whatever theme the chairman has chosen. The winner is picked in a poll that usually pops up a few days after the deadline, and REAL PRIZES usually get shipped out in a week or two. The chairman has nearly unlimited power to decide the rules of their specific event. Most entries are multi-course meals where the theme ingredient is featured in each course.

How do I enter?
Post a new thread for your entry, and link it in the chairman’s thread. A typical entry will include recipes and pictures of mise en place and major steps, but participants are encouraged to be creative in the way they present their entry as well as in their execution. A chairman may also add specific challenges or constraints in their ICSA regarding how they want you to enter.

What about NICSA?
NICSA (Newbie Iron Chef Something Awful) differs from ICSA in that it excludes ICSA winners, regulars and professional chefs from entering the final poll. (You can still enter if you work the line at Applebees.) The spirit of NICSA is to encourage as many people as possible to participate with a chance of winning, since the regular ICSA can be daunting due to the number of culinary heavy hitters who regularly enter.

Submission Rules :
1. Post a separate thread for your entry, then post here with a link.
2. Post pics! We want to see the process as well as the final dish.
3. If possible, please include your recipe so that other Goons can try and recreate your dishes for their own consumption.
4. Learn about dem foods
5. Have fun, and be creative.
6. Questions? Ask in the thread or PM your Chairman.
7. Dont use dangerous ingredients! Things that are illegal in your country, things that you are allergic to, ect. Dont hurt yourself in the name of NISCA (save that for ISCA)

PRIZES:
-FIRST PLACE Will receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card, a COOL GIFT, and a CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION. First Place will be determined by the Voting Thread.
-CHAIRMAN'S CHOICE Will receive a SPECIAL COOL GIFT!!!! And Certificate. And will be determined at the Chairman's Discretion.

Go forth, brave goons! Grab the carrots and cabbage, the peppers and durian, the offal meats, the fish heads, the weird food grandma served at holidays and said your ancestors ate, the strange pickle, the puffins stuffed inside a seal carcass and buried under rocks at the beach for three months.

YOU HAVE UNTIL APRIL 29th
Allez Cuisine!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Going to have to give this some serious thought as pretty much the only foods I disliked as a child (spinach and chicken liver) are things I learned to cook and love later in life. The closest thing to a food I hate right now is probably lobster? But that is more of a "this isn't interesting enough to be worth all of the fuss and cost, I could just melt butter and drink it" feeling. Might be time to call mom.

Sarah Bellum
Oct 21, 2008
Ooh, this is excellent and I want to take part! My stomach is already churning at the thoughts of cooking oysters and aubergines.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you live with a SO or a roommate/whatever, this is a good chance to cook that thing they love but you hate and get brownie points along the way

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Nephzinho posted:

(spinach and chicken liver) are things I learned to cook and love later in life.

These two were my first thought as well, but as ingredients they've redeemed themselves :unsmith:

I don't dislike any ingredients enough to hate them in every preparation, so I guess I'm flipping a coin between spinach and egg soup and almond fish...

Waci fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 31, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sarah Bellum posted:

Ooh, this is excellent and I want to take part! My stomach is already churning at the thoughts of cooking oysters and aubergines.

Ohhhh I *hate* oysters. Could do fried to have them require "cooking".

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BrianBoitano posted:

If you live with a SO or a roommate/whatever, this is a good chance to cook that thing they love but you hate and get brownie points along the way

There has never been a more prefect opportunity my friend. Let food unite us, not divide us!

Sarah Bellum posted:

Nephzinho posted:

Ohhhh I *hate* oysters. Could do fried to have them require "cooking".

Oysters have many preparations besides raw and fried! Such as Oysters Rockefeller, or Po'Boys!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 31, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

There has never been a more prefect opportunity my friend. Let food unite us, not divide us!

Oysters have many preparations besides raw and fried! Such as Oysters Rockefeller, or Po'Boys!

I have never thought about other preparations because I've always seen them as expensive loogies.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm disqualified from entering NICSA, which is good because I can't think of any foods I hate!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hahaha, this is great. I’m glad I’m not allowed to enter, because I can’t think of a good way to make peanut butter durian.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Scientastic posted:

Hahaha, this is great. I’m glad I’m not allowed to enter, because I can’t think of a good way to make peanut butter durian.

Do it you coward.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with durian jelly?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I really hope the next NICSA theme is what I think it is, because if it is then I already have several kickass recipes for every course ready and waiting.

This is not the theme I was hoping for.

BUT...

Suspect Bucket posted:

Participants must cook ONE dish, containing at minimum, one ingredient they dislike, OR, attempt to cook a dish they dislike. It can be a preparation they have had and disliked in the past, or a new preparation using the ingredient in a novel new way.

My signature recipe for the theme I WAS hoping for works really well for this theme too, so I’m in.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

Or stuffing.

I made oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving last year and it slapped.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I might just make an oyster and clam thread while i'm at it. I loooove them. And all seafood, really, my av is not strictly about minor league baseball and early 2000's internet memes.

Oysters are basically expensive tasty snot balls, you're not wrong. But oysters' expense comes down to the shipping, and the fact that they're mostly hand harvested and produced by small farmers. It's kinda like wine, except exceptionally less bullshit. When you enjoy them, you can really taste the difference between different varieties and origins, it's pretty great. I only eat local oysters when i'm by the coast, otherwise I don't bother.

Eat the sea boogers!

edit: OYSTER FACT! Oysters used to be so plentiful that you could get an oyster sandwich in Manhattan cheaper then a hot dog. Some families were so poor, they lived on nothing other then oysters and bread.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 31, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Hm this is tempting. I tried beef heart once and it was horrible though I think it might have a lot of potential.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Waci posted:

Do it you coward.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with durian jelly?

I would, but unfortunately the rules say I can’t. A dreadful shame, but you know the old saying: “rules are meant to be unquestioningly obeyed”

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

I might just make an oyster and clam thread while i'm at it. I loooove them. And all seafood, really, my av is not strictly about minor league baseball and early 2000's internet memes.

Oh man...

Oh man oh man oh man.

Can we save this for a later NICSA? If we did a second seafood one at the same time as this one, I’d have to pick between like 5 different recipes and that’s just too much for me to juggle with at the moment. Plus I don’t have a ton of money to work with right now due to parent death... like I almost didn’t buy this avatar.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Newbie Iron Something Chef Awful

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Suspect Bucket posted:

edit: OYSTER FACT! Oysters used to be so plentiful that you could get an oyster sandwich in Manhattan cheaper then a hot dog. Some families were so poor, they lived on nothing other then oysters and bread.

Roughly half the world's oyster population, as of 1600, was in New York Harbor.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Suspect Bucket posted:

The same is true of lobsters in the Northeast US: https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-once-only-fed-to-poor-people-and-prisoner-1612356919

I'm trying to decide if "some kind of salad" qualifies, given that one of my most disliked foods is "most leafy green vegetables".

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So. I could write a list a mile long about stuff I hate. Bell peppers. Eggplant. Okra. Sweet potato. Butternut squash ever since it became the cloyingly sweet nastiness it’s become in the past 15 years. Seitan. Tempeh. drat near every commercially made sauce that includes sugar, with the exception of ketchup. I might just enter for the gently caress of it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Resting Lich Face posted:

Newbie Iron Something Chef Awful

YOU WON THE SECRET PRIZE! Please come pick up your slightly chewed water buffalo horn my dog no longer cares for at

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The only foods I won't eat are things that try to kill me with anaphylaxis (like shrimp, crab, lobster, etc) and even then I still like them. The only things I don't enjoy eating are surströmming and sugary cereals - I'm not bringing surströmming into my house, but maybe I'll try and make a sugary cereal from scratch?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Whalley posted:

The only foods I won't eat are things that try to kill me with anaphylaxis (like shrimp, crab, lobster, etc) and even then I still like them. The only things I don't enjoy eating are surströmming and sugary cereals - I'm not bringing surströmming into my house, but maybe I'll try and make a sugary cereal from scratch?

That would own! I myself make my own museli, it's the best. I want to see your breakfast cereal attempts!

Incoherence posted:

The same is true of lobsters in the Northeast US: https://gizmodo.com/lobsters-were-once-only-fed-to-poor-people-and-prisoner-1612356919

I'm trying to decide if "some kind of salad" qualifies, given that one of my most disliked foods is "most leafy green vegetables".

Salad owns and you should definitely figure out how to make a salad you like. It is perfectly legal to top a salad with a whole sliced steak, or a scoop of barbeque. Eat the greens!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 1, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I am ineligible, but also deeply tempted to use this as an excuse for savory aspics.

I hate savory aspics.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Liquid Communism posted:

I am ineligible, but also deeply tempted to use this as an excuse for savory aspics.

I hate savory aspics.

May I ask why you hate savory aspics specifically, as opposed to all aspics because gelatinized food is gross as gently caress?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

The only things I really hate are hot dogs and grapefruit and I like pretty much any other kind of sausage so it's not like I could legitimately sub out the hot dog for a brat or something since I already know I like those. But still, my first thought was a something like a Sonoran hot dog with a grapefruit based salsa. Actually that sounds kind of good, even to me.

stereobreadsticks fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 2, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

stereobreadsticks posted:

Sonoran hot dog with a grapefruit based salsa.

Do it. I wanna see this odd concoction.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

May I ask why you hate savory aspics specifically, as opposed to all aspics because gelatinized food is gross as gently caress?

I am Deeply Midwestern, so the venerable Jello Salad runs in my veins. Hopefully not literally.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I absolutely despise liver when it's not in liverwurst form. I try it about once a year or so when the opportunity presents itself, and every time I hate it. I may give this one a shot.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How are you champions doing? I'll be making (well, documenting my boyfriend doing it) the cabbage dish that changed my mind about cabbage this week.

TWO WEEKS REMAIN

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If board games fall through on the 20th I will be attempting a variety of oyster preparations. Way I see it, worst case scenario I get desperately ill and don't have to go over the bridge to NJ for Easter. Win win?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Suspect Bucket posted:

How are you champions doing? I'll be making (well, documenting my boyfriend doing it) the cabbage dish that changed my mind about cabbage this week.

TWO WEEKS REMAIN

I'm working on a thing

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Nephzinho posted:

If board games fall through on the 20th I will be attempting a variety of oyster preparations. Way I see it, worst case scenario I get desperately ill and don't have to go over the bridge to NJ for Easter. Win win?

Which bridge, and which bit of Jersey?

If the answers are Verrazano and Trenton, owch. I spent 40 bucks on train tickets to avoid bridge tolls (and to drink on the train back from a wedding shower)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Which bridge, and which bit of Jersey?

If the answers are Verrazano and Trenton, owch. I spent 40 bucks on train tickets to avoid bridge tolls (and to drink on the train back from a wedding shower)

I'm in Crown Heights, my parents are right over the GW. I pretty much bought a beater just to go back and forth the 16 miles because they won't come here (they're still scared of Brooklyn from 30 years ago) and I can't take my dog on a bus.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

TWO WEEKS REMAIN

I already made my food, I just have to type up the post.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Oh man... I hate, hate, hate some hard anise candies my grandma always had at her house, I would only use them as treats for the dogs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
SEVEN DAYS REMAIN

My boyfriend made the cabbage SNEAKILY and did not let me photographs. We will make it again this week hopefully.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gently caress I still have to type up my thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

I. M. Gei posted:

gently caress I still have to type up my thread.

Same