Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Albert is probably going to second guess the whole forgiveness thing when he learns Barry didn't even make it home without trying to do a murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah I definitely don't see Albert walking away from the show. He's a competent cop, and was in the military alongside Barry in nightmarish situations. Purely in terms of utility to the story, he offers a lot of options that no other character can.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

fez_machine posted:

Not for the bulk of the show, but this season and especially the last episode is particularly focused on pain, redemption, forgiveness and non-romantic love. Barry howls in pain as he's forgiven by a man who should by all rights have no mercy for him.

It felt similar of other pieces of modern Catholic art like Sorceress's religious movies and the movies Mel Gibson directs.

Others have called out the beach scenes of people waiting for the afterlife as feeling particularly Catholic.

What are "Sorceress's religious movies"?

Dick Jones posted:

The problem would be explaining Barry's motive for attempting to kill Jim and why it qualifies as a crime of passion. Gene was probably wearing a wire when he said "He knows you killed Janice. He knows everything."

True. I'd have to rewatch for the dialog, I was thinking along the lines of his defense being that he snapped because he was so worried about Gene and Gene's distress, with their therapeutic relationship already well-documented in Variety.

Put me in the 'hoping he spends no time in jail camp', though. I'm not interested in behind bars hijinks.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

unlimited shrimp posted:

What are "Sorceress's religious movies"?

This was supposed to say Martin Scorsese I think.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Chemtrailologist posted:

This was supposed to say Martin Scorsese I think.

yeah, I got auto-corrected to hell on that one

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I know what you're talking about, season 3 gave me some serious Last Temptation of Crisco vibes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

fez_machine posted:

yeah, I got auto-corrected to hell on that one

What are you talking about? THE PASSION OF THE SKELETOR was amazing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched the first 3 eps of season 3, holy moly that's good TV. Just comes across as effortlessly sharp and inspired. And it's got it's own tone to it, just delicious stuff. :bisonyes:

I don't even know where I want it to go, they blew it all up in the best way, I'm on board with where it goes.

Edit: Just watched the whole season in one day, that's good stuff right there! High octane masterful stuff, scene after scene. Four hours doesn't usually go down as smooth as that. Makes me believe in the future of TV. Inspiring to see.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 16, 2022

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Heavy Metal posted:

High octane masterful stuff, scene after scene.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm rewatching this season and I have to say all the bomb stuff is probably the highlight of this season for me. Its so surreal but hilarious.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

limp_cheese posted:

I'm rewatching this season and I have to say all the bomb stuff is probably the highlight of this season for me. Its so surreal but hilarious.

I kept waiting for the reveal to be that it was a dud of some sort. Just a box filled with junk electronics or whatever. But it was real and had an app and had a staffed helpline. Amazing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The app had a staffed helpline, presumably they have a healthy disclaimer about liability for what the user is doing with it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the LA in Barry is like a weird mix of GTA where there are police and consequences (sometimes) and John Wick where society is like a libertarian lassez faire thing just keep your head down when bullets fly and some crime elements are not only look the other way but even casually in the open (getting hit jobs on CL instead of the darkweb). More towards the GTA side though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nameless Pete posted:

Albert is probably going to second guess the whole forgiveness thing when he learns Barry didn't even make it home without trying to do a murder.

he could wind up like the detective who wanted barry to kill karate master and his feral karate child and try to use barry for his own purposes

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Karate Child is gonna be who kills Barry. And then recruited by Fuches.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ghostwritingduck posted:

While that may be true, Hader is such a movie aficionado, he could be framing things based off of instinct developed from duplication of someone who was more intentional.

I started listening to the podcast with Hader, and he sounded blown away at the possibility that the season finale felt like a series finale to some people.
They have a Hader-curated movie collection on HBO Max. I was happy to find out he loves Ikiru.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

grobbo posted:

I think it might actually be the sports match that's playing in Moss' house at the climax, signalling the fateful moment that's coming Barry's way.
Yes, it was nicely foreshadowed by the announcer's depiction of the game. That was a very nice touch.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

withak posted:

It is extremely Brooklyn

It feels like one of the rare cases where the actor with the extremely Brooklyn accent is actually from Brooklyn.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shrimpy posted:

It feels like one of the rare cases where the actor with the extremely Brooklyn accent is actually from Brooklyn.

Speaking of Brooklyn (99!), I just remembered where I'd seen the actor who plays Gene's agent; DC Parlov, who wrote Skyfire!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Shrimpy posted:

Oh wow, he voiced Kenji in Ghost of Tsushima. No wonder his voice sounded so familiar.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of Brooklyn (99!), I just remembered where I'd seen the actor who plays Gene's agent; DC Parlov, who wrote Skyfire!

I actually had to look up where I had seen him before, and it turns out it was that one!

"He pulls, Jake. He pulls."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gene's agent was also the scumbag agent/producer from that standalone Los Angeles story in Fargo Season 3, which really got my wires crossed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HBO's 'Barry': Fred Melamed Appreciate Retreat

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It took me a minute to realize that he was supposed to be playing a character. My immediate thought was "Well, yeah, of course Gene knows Fred Melamed. No way that guy doesn't have a Cousineau story."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

It took me a minute to realize that he was supposed to be playing a character. My immediate thought was "Well, yeah, of course Gene knows Fred Melamed. No way that guy doesn't have a Cousineau story."

Maybe he also called him a gently caress gently caress.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

He's also Maria Bamford's hapless agent in Lady Dynamite. Weird role to be typecast as but he makes it work every time.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It's cute how y'all are pretending like you didn't watch WandaVision. Stop it.

Stop it.

Stop it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

Stop it.

Stop it.

I completely forgot he was in that, but now I remember thinking 'oh hey, it's that guy!'

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Stop it.

Stop it.

I don't have to pretend.

I think of it as my way of retroactively supporting Ms. Marvel, because past me didn't contribute to the numbers of any of the other MCU shows.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

HBO's 'Barry': Appreciate Retreat

I approve of this. He's right up there with Stephen Tobolowsky as a guy I'm always happy to see ham it up on screen.

To contribute: I liked him as Patrick Stewart's cocaine prescribing therapist on Blunt Talk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I approve of this. He's right up there with Stephen Tobolowsky as a guy I'm always happy to see ham it up on screen.

To contribute: I liked him as Patrick Stewart's cocaine prescribing therapist on Blunt Talk

I am a huge Tobolowsky fan (his podcast is fantastic, btw) and sadly never really had Melamed's name stick in my brain until this show.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The first time I saw Malamek I thought he WAS Tobolowsky. They should play brothers who passively aggressively hate each other.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I am a huge Tobolowsky fan (his podcast is fantastic, btw) and sadly never really had Melamed's name stick in my brain until this show.

I guess we can also credit him with being indirectly responsible for naming one of my favorite 90s indie bands out of Boston:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkW_ZkMtmlQ&t=242s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2bDvdvxlIs

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The real reason they killed off Akhmal so brutally is because this is his IMDB page

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1017746/

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What the panther did was right and just

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Justified.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

Justified.
Good show that, making my way through Season 4.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Actually Timmy O would be a great fit for Barry now that I think about it...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nameless Pete posted:

Stop it.

Stop it.

It was boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mordja posted:

Actually Timmy O would be a great fit for Barry now that I think about it...

Sally: I mean when you think about it, I'm a hero, what did I do wrong!?!
Raylon: Well hell ma'am... I mean you did beat a man to death with a baseball bat, that type of thing tends to get frowned upon. Also you used some extremely bad language to your former assistant.... :yeeclaw: