Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

mcbexx posted:

I had to look it up, because I couldn't even come up with a third female character with enough screentime or impactful performance to warrant a nomination. I thought of the shrink, but figured the part was too small compared to the others to get a nod.

No diss on Sarah Niles, she was pretty good, if not a bit one-note in her deadpan, distanced characterization, but picking her over Goldberg seems a bit rough if you compare the two performances - especially if you consider Niles winning over Waddington and Temple would be a longshot in the first place.

apple paid hella bucks to get those noms. why doesnt hbo love barry to the tune of several million dollars in bribes like apple loves ted lasso, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Aye Doc posted:

apple paid hella bucks to get those noms. why doesnt hbo love barry to the tune of several million dollars in bribes like apple loves ted lasso, smh

It's probably less that and more Ted Lasso is 100 times more popular than Barry and award shows are a dying medium in terms of viewers so how to get people to tune in? Nominate their favorite shows.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PostNouveau posted:

:psyduck: THREE actresses from Ted Lasso got nominated in that category

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Alex Borstein (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)

Hannah Einbinder (“Hacks”)

Janelle James (“Abbott Elementary”)

Kate McKinnon (“Saturday Night Live”)

Sarah Niles (“Ted Lasso”)

Sheryl Lee Ralph (“Abbott Elementary”)

Juno Temple (“Ted Lasso”)

Hannah Waddingham (“Ted Lasso”)

What a travesty of a list. Even if it is just the Emmys none of these people deserve a nod over Sarah Goldberg. Sarah Niles character specifically wasn't funny or even a significant part of the show. This is almost meta for her character in Barry.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Doltos posted:

lol

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So when I first saw Seinfeld, I thought there was something off about Jerry's line delivery. For the longest time, I just wrote him off as a bad actor. Eventually, I saw clips of him doing standup and interviews and finally realized that's just the way he talks, he's not actually a bad actor (though he's not a great one).

I kinda feel the same way about how Sarah Goldberg speaks. For her, maybe it's a Canadian accent thing, but my brain just has a hard time recognizing her as an "Outstanding Actress".

Just rambling, but it's obviously more about greased palms and such.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No Jerry is a bad actor but they eventually leant into it by just writing him as a superficial narcissist (true to life)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

But he also talks like a hosed up, bad actor in real life.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

oh jay posted:

But he also talks like a hosed up, bad actor in real life.

it's because he's a bad actor doing a bad job of pretending to be a human

also lol at thinking stand-up and interviews count as real life

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Doltos posted:

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

Alex Borstein (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)

Hannah Einbinder (“Hacks”)

Janelle James (“Abbott Elementary”)

Sarah Niles (“Ted Lasso”)

Sheryl Lee Ralph (“Abbott Elementary”)

Juno Temple (“Ted Lasso”)

Hannah Waddingham (“Ted Lasso”)

What a travesty of a list. Even if it is just the Emmys none of these people deserve a nod over Sarah Goldberg. Sarah Niles character specifically wasn't funny or even a significant part of the show. This is almost meta for her character in Barry.

Hacks is a show with two leads so it's funny to see one of them here.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

It’s even funnier because Hannah Einbinder can’t act :/

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Just started season 1 and this is very good !!! Loving every minute lmao

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It gets a lot better as it goes on, too. You're in for a great ride.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I just watched through the whole series this past week. it was a lot of fun! I haven't read through the thread yet so I'm sorry if it's been mentioned already, but it felt a lot like the writers were really frustrated with the back half of Dexter and tried to do it right. it hits a lot of the same plot beats

I can still remember my friend throwing a beer at the TV in frustration when Deb kramered in out of nowhere to kill Laguerta and keep Dexter's ethical code -pure- whereas in Barry, of course a psychopathic murderer would kill the detective attempting to arrest him. what else would happen lol

my one gripe (and i'm sure this is an unpopular opinion) is that Noho Hank really started to grate on me. he kind of felt a joss whedon character dropped in to declare "well that happened" after every major plot beat

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

God Hole posted:

my one gripe (and i'm sure this is an unpopular opinion) is that Noho Hank really started to grate on me. he kind of felt a joss whedon character dropped in to declare "well that happened" after every major plot beat

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

God Hole posted:

I just watched through the whole series this past week. it was a lot of fun! I haven't read through the thread yet so I'm sorry if it's been mentioned already, but it felt a lot like the writers were really frustrated with the back half of Dexter and tried to do it right. it hits a lot of the same plot beats

I can still remember my friend throwing a beer at the TV in frustration when Deb kramered in out of nowhere to kill Laguerta and keep Dexter's ethical code -pure- whereas in Barry, of course a psychopathic murderer would kill the detective attempting to arrest him. what else would happen lol

The dexter stuff is basically how the books went, but it happened in book 1.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I forgot about that line. I loving howled in my basement.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Sally backing up into darkness while screaming at her agent is some masterful stuff. Such a simple visual thing and so obvious but done so well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Finished up season 3. The fact that they managed to make a season finale of a mostly comedic show with practically no jokes and pull it off is astounding. What a wonderful half hour of TV it was.

I didn't know it had been renewed until after I watched it. It felt like a perfect place to end it for pretty much all of the characters, they could easily have left it there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just finished season 3. One thing that bothered me is that Barry seems to be pointing Gene's gun at the end - did he just not think, or is he evil enough that he wants to frame Gene for the murder, even after all he did for him?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ymgve posted:

Just finished season 3. One thing that bothered me is that Barry seems to be pointing Gene's gun at the end - did he just not think, or is he evil enough that he wants to frame Gene for the murder, even after all he did for him?

What? Frame Gene for what murder? Why would he ever want to do this?

:psyduck:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What? Frame Gene for what murder? Why would he ever want to do this?

:psyduck:

Barry seems to be pointing the gun he took from Gene at Moss in the finale, which if I'm not mistaken is that special gun Gene was given by a friend and is probably very traceable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

Barry seems to be pointing the gun he took from Gene at Moss in the finale, which if I'm not mistaken is that special gun Gene was given by a friend and is probably very traceable.

Yeah. Traceable to Barry. Aiming it at Moss' dad. With witnesses.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah. Traceable to Barry. Aiming it at Moss' dad. With witnesses.

I mean, assuming there were no cops there and no double crossing, of course! Barry didn't know that when he aimed the gun!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

I mean, assuming there were no cops there and no double crossing, of course! Barry didn't know that when he aimed the gun!

I think you're trying to make up a twist that isn't there. Barry wasn't trying to frame anyone.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Barry wouldn't frame Gene because then Gene talks to the police about Barry.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah he was just improvising and using whatever gun he had.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate that Hader has straight up said that Barry is just not that bright and mostly just makes it up as he goes.

I don’t think it fits Season 1 well, but it certainly explains some of his choices in Season 2 and onwards.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I've always felt that was pretty clear but the reason it worked for me is because everyone on the show is either that much dumber or so self involved that he gets away with it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

General Probe posted:

I've always felt that was pretty clear but the reason it worked for me is because everyone on the show is either that much dumber or so self involved that he gets away with it.

Yeah, it's Beavis & Butthead theory. The titular character is dumb as rocks (maybe occasionally clever at one thing in a savant sort of way) but everyone else occupying the world is dumber in a more insidious way.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I saw no real distinction between Barry's fellow soldiers celebrating and encouraging his aptitude for murder and Barry's fellow actors knowingly goading him into tapping into this really dark and dangerous part of himself for the sake of a good performance

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I mean, murder is definitely worse than using one's inner demon's to power an acting performance?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

God Hole posted:

I saw no real distinction between Barry's fellow soldiers celebrating and encouraging his aptitude for murder and Barry's fellow actors knowingly goading him into tapping into this really dark and dangerous part of himself for the sake of a good performance
Well that's because you need to get your distinction-lens prescription up to date, man!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://deadline.com/2022/08/barry-patrick-fischler-season-4-hbo-series-recurring-1235095460/

Patrick Fischer kicks rear end and he's gonna be awesome in barry

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

God Hole posted:

Noho Hank is the bridge character from the underworld to normality. He also serves as a plot device to move Barry back towards murder. There's also a parallel between Barry and Hank as in neither truly wants to do what they're doing which results in Noho Hank murdering people and essentially becoming Barry.

He's a little ridiculous but an unique character. I enjoy him.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
whoops wrong thread, love noho hank though even if he makes things a little silly

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

UFOTacoMan posted:

whoops wrong thread, love noho hank though even if he makes things a little silly

i take back the joss whedon thing, in retrospect that was harsh. and i think in season 3 they really toned down his hyper-observational gimmick so i was able to enjoy him as a character more

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
someone asked: the poison Barry takes is coded as arsenic, I think. green foam at the mouth, muscles tensing in that horrible position and his throat closing up

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I can't wait for the throwaway gag of Barry killing a good natured, mustachioed soccer coach next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I remember a scene from season 1 where Barry is at the lockers at a school talking to a kid, and I originally thought it was a flashback to child Barry talking to his dad played by Bill Hader, but then he refers to the kid by another name. What was that scene?