Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tokubetsu posted:

+ another recommendation for Patriot.

This whole episode was tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
It wasn't John Ham jesus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah it was Jon Hamm. Sheesh!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

John Hamm really hosed Barry up!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Patriot is good but a lot of slow burns and dialogue:

"what?"

............."cool"

........"yeah, cool"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"What're you doing?"
"I'm about to jump off this building"
"Is it high?"
"Yeah... bout 40 feet"
"Cool"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

precision posted:

"What're you doing?"
"Is it high?"
"Yeah... bout 40 feet"
"Cool"

[Paraphrased]
“How are you gonna do that?”
“Well, apparently a lot of people go wrong and try to land on their feet, but there’s actually a lot of small bones down there and they break easy. So really what you do is land on the biggest hardest bone in your body.”
“You’re gonna jump 40 feet onto your head?”
“And like some of my shoulder, yeah.”
“Where did they teach you that? Jumping off things class?”
“Yeah.”

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dick Jones posted:

Yeah I just realized he's Agent Johnson from The Matrix trilogy. The one who fights Morpheus on top of the 18-wheeler.

Also the night club's chief security guy in John Wick.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
He also fights Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde. It's that big 1v1 fight in the theater. Well accomplished stunt man and martial artist.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

precision posted:

"What're you doing?"
"Is it high?"
"Yeah... bout 40 feet"
"Cool"

“It is cool”

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
This Patriot show is really good. Thanks for the recommendation, fellow Barry fans.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

marshalljim posted:

This Patriot show is really good. Thanks for the recommendation, fellow Barry fans.

I've thought about starting that so many times and just never have. Is it as funny as Barry or is it more drama?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've thought about starting that so many times and just never have. Is it as funny as Barry or is it more drama?

It's hilarious.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Also just started Patriot and I'm only one episode in but it's pretty good so another thanks for the recommendation to add to the pile

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I thought this episode was simultaneously insanely well made but also a really bad episode of Barry, the first I have ever not been incredibly satisfied by. Part of what makes this show so good is even though its a farce, it has maintained some level of realism in perspective that makes the more violent, action heavy scenes tenser and more impactful than they would be in a show that was aiming for something more cartoony. It was incredibly out of place for Barry to do a lot of the things he did and the little girl Crouching Tiger flying all over the place was completely unnecessary. I would have totally loved it if she was just a relentless badass that ran circles around Barry and Fuchs, but she was literally a magical monster mutant girl, which fits in with the show....how? Nothing this show has ever done as felt "impossible" at all. Quite the opposite actually.

I was 100% on board with a comical slapstick level struggle between him and Ronny, but once the girl and Fuchs got involved, as well as the absurd escape at the end it just had me rolling my eyes.

Bill Hader can loving direct though, my god.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 2, 2019

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's better imo, but there's more pathos for sure. Strikes a truly unique tone. Season 1 was art. Season 2 drops off a bit in quality, but still comes through with a few incredible episodes S206...legendary.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Solice Kirsk posted:

its like "that material where no light can escape" comedy. calling it a black or dark comedy implies some light can escape.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Patriot is real good but I had to take a few weeks between watching seasons 1 &2.

If Barry is a comedy about a man trying to quit a job everyone wants him to do, Patriot is a comedy about a man trying to do a job everyone wants him to quit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe it will all be a dream Barry had while trying to figure out a way to not kill Ronny (his name was Ronny right?).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of, I wonder if we're ever going to see any more of Barry's future fantasies. I want to know what happened to his kids after they teleported to moon school.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought for sure it was another fantasy he was having before he killed Moss. Oh! Oh! Maybe it all is and he's in jail for killing his buddy!

Oh! Or maybe that part was a dream too! I just really want part of it to be a dream I guess...

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Decided to give this Patriot show a go since it got so much positive word of mouth in here. Seems like it takes a little while to wind up and kick off, but I definitely feel pretty good bout where it seems to be headed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah... pretty good...

(There's a great part in S2 where John explains why he always says "pretty good" when people ask how he is)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is he a big Curb Your Enthusiasm fan?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phenotype posted:

Is he a big Curb Your Enthusiasm fan?

No. The whole thing is like "Pretty good is my go to, but I'm not that, ever"

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yo2ZYAdxa4

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I really don't want this show to have a tragic ending but it probably will because people wouldn't accept a TV murderer not getting his comeuppance.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I mean, look at Dexter. That finale was great :thumbsup:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

What's weird about Barry contrasted with other TV murderer protagonists, is that I still just flat-out like his character - maybe I just like Bill Hader. With Walter White or Dexter, part or most of you wants them to get hosed somehow. But I'm actually cool with Barry never facing the ultimate consequence.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

First episode of patriot sure is ...something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Captain Lavender posted:

What's weird about Barry contrasted with other TV murderer protagonists, is that I still just flat-out like his character - maybe I just like Bill Hader. With Walter White or Dexter, part or most of you wants them to get hosed somehow. But I'm actually cool with Barry never facing the ultimate consequence.

Right? I think it's just the inexplicably light tone that the show carries. Barry's probably more outright dangerous than either of those two, but since it's such a silly show with all these bumbling criminals, it just seems a lot less real when he kills someone. The only thing he's done that felt "evil" was killing the lady cop at the end of last season, everything else just feels like wacky slapstick.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Killing his buddy was really bad too.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Every time Barry has killed (in the show) he's been forced into it by the threat of: His death/a friend's death/life in prison.

The first two are more excusable to me than the third, but that is one reason I think he stands in contrast to tv characters that revel in their immorality.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Captain Lavender posted:

With Walter White or Dexter, part or most of you wants them to get hosed somehow.

I found Walter White, especially, was fairly irredeemable from the get go. He acts the same in the first couple of episodes (lording power over teenage students) as he does once he's in the drug trade. Barry on the other hand clearly hates what he does but is broken and can't find a way out of his vocation until he goes to Gene's class.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dick Jones posted:

Yeah I just realized he's Agent Johnson from The Matrix trilogy. The one who fights Morpheus on top of the 18-wheeler.

He's the guy who 1v1s Keanu in the russian nightclub and throws him onto the dance floor in wick 1

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Every time Barry has killed (in the show) he's been forced into it by the threat of: His death/a friend's death/life in prison.
The first shot of the series is Barry checking for his keys, having just annihilated the skull of a sleeping guy for money

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

It seems like they're trying to shift the moral blameworthiness onto Fuches, as in Barry was depressed when he was discharged and Fuches took advantage of him.

But I mean, Barry's still doing all the murders. I don't think it's going to work.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

emgeejay posted:

The first shot of the series is Barry checking for his keys, having just annihilated the skull of a sleeping guy for money

All of Barry's previous career was Fuches making up stories about how all the hits were on druglords or kidnappers or some poo poo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

emgeejay posted:

Yeah but we don't actually see that kill or know what the context was. Semantics, I know, but relevant for a tv show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Madurai posted:

All of Barry's previous career was Fuches making up stories about how all the hits were on druglords or kidnappers or some poo poo.

Wait, hold up, maybe I'm just forgetting, or perhaps I'm truly bad at watching TV, but was Fuches always lying to him?