Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, hold up, maybe I'm just forgetting, or perhaps I'm truly bad at watching TV, but was Fuches always lying to him?

I don't think it's explicitly stated, but since Fuches doesn't seem to give a poo poo about who gets killed it seems pretty likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah but we don't actually see that kill or know what the context was. Semantics, I know, but relevant for a tv show.
He nearly shot his girlfriend’s ex in the head last week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, hold up, maybe I'm just forgetting, or perhaps I'm truly bad at watching TV, but was Fuches always lying to him?

Yeah, that's the implication

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

emgeejay posted:

He nearly shot his girlfriend in the head.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

emgeejay posted:

But he didn't tho.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think it's explicitly stated, but since Fuches doesn't seem to give a poo poo about who gets killed it seems pretty likely.

I feel like sometime in S1 I knew Fuches was tricking him into killing decent people and lying about who they were but I forgot til it came up here.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Not that Barry's in the clear--he flat out shot Moss to avoid jail.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It doesn't excuse it, but he does his best to try not to kill people anymore.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Not reading the rest of the thread but just finished episode 4 and holy poo poo that ending lmao, that was masterfully done.

edit: haha wtf is this next episode, this ninja girl

double edit: that episode was fun but i felt like the girl made it feel very little like an episode of Barry, took away some of the realism of the show, but it was funny i'll give them that

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 3, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't excuse it, but he does his best to try not to kill people anymore.

The more I think about it the more I think this should be thread title.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drat good call on Patriot on amazon.

I really dig it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion of Patriot. I'm going through it now. I guess I really need to pay attention because it seems to jump around a lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Thanks for the suggestion of Patriot. I'm going through it now. I guess I really need to pay attention because it seems to jump around a lot.

Yeah I’ve noticed that too. It definitely seems to have more meat on its bones.

I do love the folk singer aspect lol.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The folk songs are doubled down on in season 2 so you've got that to look forward to

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are any of the words in Patriot real or is it marzel vanes and turbo encabulators?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's all fake and largely improvised, Kurtwood Smith came up with most of it on the spot

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I thought that girl ruled. Stranger things have happened.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I watched the first season of Patriot and ehhh... Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for it, but it was just so depressing. It had it's moments, and I liked the weird humor and the actiony bits, but it just felt roo slow in between interesting scenes. The main character is such a sad sack and sabotages himself in such inexplicable ways, like his refusal to show Leslie the slightest bit of respect. I'm not sure if I'll watch season 2 -- I like the premise and some of it is gold, like almost anything with Dennis, but ehhh....

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Let me explain the entire plot of the show, both seasons: Jesus Christ will someone let that poor man go home and get some rest.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The made-up engineering gibberish was my favorite part of the show. Kurtwood Smith owns that poo poo.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Patriot is getting me down as gently caress. But it's pretty good.

No, it's pretty cool.

e: Actor that plays Dennis also played Johnny Cage in the amazing Mortal Kombat movie. His beefy chest seemed familiar.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Only for two seconds in the horrible sequel before he gets killed by Shao Khan. Linden Ashby played Johnny Cage in the good Mortal Kombat movie.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Human Tornada posted:

Only for two seconds in the horrible sequel before he gets killed by Shao Khan. Linden Ashby played Johnny Cage in the good Mortal Kombat movie.

Doh. Clearly it's been too long since I've watched any of them

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Shageletic posted:

I thought that girl ruled. Stranger things have happened.

:same: imho that whole episode was great

also lol at the patriot talk, it seriously made have to look to see if i'd clicked the wrong thread, will have to check it out i guess

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Luvcow posted:

:same: imho that whole episode was great

also lol at the patriot talk, it seriously made have to look to see if i'd clicked the wrong thread, will have to check it out i guess

Yeah give it a few episodes. I really enjoy it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I finally got around to watching the episode, I think the HBO Go app messed up because that wasn't an episode of Barry.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’m disappointed that the crazy ninja girl didn’t make an appearance in the background this week.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gene Cousineau in 13 Divorces

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Barry finally got there, and drat, Bill Hader really sold it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I feel like this has to end with Barry killing Fuches.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like this has to end with Barry killing Fuches.

I adore Stephen Root and what he brings to Fuchs, but yeah, the character is a POS and the only way I can see Barry making a normal life for himself right now would be, well... Also, if I may make a prediction based in how I'd maybe write it: If and when he does finally kill Fuchs, it may somehow wind up being the kill that brings him down. He finally gets so close, then.... But that's just me--got issues with catharsis in my work.

e: Also, "Oh, yes, Bari. I am washing Burmese right out of my hair. ...Team Badass. C'mon. Kicking rear end, making names. ... I'm man of my word, okay? I am Honest Gabe." Oh Haank :allears:

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 6, 2019

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Accidental double post when I meant to edit.

I'll use this space to say this show made me realize how grateful I am to not have a purpose. They seem dicey.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 6, 2019

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Glad to see badbadnotgood get some play here.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

kittenmittons posted:

Agreed.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Have to give major props to this show for making a Stephen Root character stumble around in the woods in a slapstick fashion for several minutes and then still be able to end the episode with something that makes him genuinely menacing

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

bbf2 posted:

Have to give major props to this show for making a Stephen Root character stumble around in the woods in a slapstick fashion for several minutes and then still be able to end the episode with something that makes him genuinely menacing

The way that Barry represents the drama/comedy dichotomy of theatre is really incredible. I can't think of another tv show that pulls it off so effortlessly.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

kittenmittons posted:

I came here to post this. I love BBNG and got an immediate grin on my face once Time Moves Slow started up. The music choices in this show, from Charles Bradley in the OP to the different credit songs have been impeccable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I loved when the accordion player popped out from behind Cristobal and you hear very quiet accordion notes accidentally played. It got a genuine laugh out of me.

I love this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hank needs his own spin off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm operating on the assumption that Hank will probably be okay somehow. Considering how Fuchs survived season one, I figure something ridiculous and probably (at least) mildly violent will deus ex machina him to safety. Banking on the obvious (Team Badass), myself.

precision posted:

Hank needs his own spin off

Dude is the best.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 7, 2019