Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I thought it was John Hamm.
Please, his name is "Jon Ham"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Every time Barry has killed (in the show) he's been forced into it by the threat of: His death/a friend's death/life in prison.
The first shot of the series is Barry checking for his keys, having just annihilated the skull of a sleeping guy for money

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah but we don't actually see that kill or know what the context was. Semantics, I know, but relevant for a tv show.
He nearly shot his girlfriend’s ex in the head last week.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

yeah, I knew well enough to squint through that article once I saw it describing the drugstore scene that hadn't aired yet at the time. see you after the finale, thread!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Barry will take another shot at redemption, but he will fail.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

that’s the problem!!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

demostars posted:

Also, it's a bit weird to me that Barry seems to be the title character to this "Laws of Humanity" show but he just got hired on? Are procedural dramas like that where a character name like "Hugh Manity" just gets passed between actors like "James Bond" would be? I've never voluntarily sat down for one so it strikes me as odd but still plausible.
Hugh Manity was the lawyer sitting on the front of his desk, facing Cousineau. Barry was the one who addressed Manity by name when he entered the room behind Cousineau and put his hand on his shoulder.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Ignis posted:

I also think he's not really in Chechnya, but rather he was made to believe he is, so he wouldn't run away from the barn in California they got him stashed at. This show is otherwise pretty attentive to detail, so it seems weird that they'd mess up a basic detail like european timezones.
Fuches’ first scene of the season begins with a subtitle placing him in the “MOUNTAINS OF CHECHNYA,” so the show would have to also be lying to us.

There are a lot of fine little details in Barry, but the writers are also unafraid to not sweat the small stuff. (See Barry, Hank, etc. discussing their various crimes and murders in text messages and over the phone, mentioned previously in the thread.) Part of the show’s unique vibe is that it’s sometimes unexpectedly “theatrical” in the sense of being like stage drama, and that means occasionally sacrificing realism to better serve the scene.

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 12, 2022

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Barry is also unlikable outside of killing people!
https://twitter.com/margacrisostomo/status/1628011771696144386?s=61&t=ggDXMLf2RkvXvqj2uP3KyQ

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/sharigaynes/status/1650555040103530496?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/bmrow/status/1336218302939426816?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/filmyeuns/status/1536332565715509248?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Dick Jones posted:

Why not just dye her hair brown?
Of all the questions you asked, this is the interesting one. But consider the possible answers, and what they might say about Sally. Ultimately this will make for a more rewarding experience than chasing the tiny dopamine hit of making the CinemaSins ding sound effect in your head

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bill Hader posted:

So to me, I find the episode incredibly funny; I laugh a lot during this episode, every time we would watch cuts of it or screen it I would be laughing a lot.
I'm with him, but then again I've never stopped thinking the show is really funny.

blue squares posted:

C'mon, at this point it is 100% real
IMO it's been 100% clear the time jump isn't a fantasy ever since the neighbor dad said both boys' names to explicitly reveal that John is not Flashback Barry, but thinking it's still possible after the latest episode is absolutely wild. Next you're gonna tell me someone thought it was a Truman Show fake desert situation

Phoix posted:

That and the extended shot of him walking into the desert that felt more and more like a sound stage really made me think they were gonna do some insane reveal
gdi

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

it is because of his majestic snow-white beard

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://youtu.be/DHC24BDDA_k
this fan trailer had the really lucky timing of getting made two weeks ago. so it's somewhat spoiler-filled, but in another way weirdly not. hard to imagine most future viewers will go into the show unspoiled on Barry ending up in prison (it's all over HBO's own final season marketing, and that's what you see in the app) but it preserves the surprise of the time jump. but for us, following the most recent cliffhanger it's a good midseason hype-up for his upcoming confrontations with the good (Gene), the bad (Hank) and the ugly (Fuches).

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/emgeejay/status/1656517578351849473?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

panko posted:

speaking about signs from god, anything to the rooster crowing when cousineau jr. jr. gets off of the school bus?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

quote:

batshit theories
Theory crafters like this are effectively missing the really good and interesting show they’re watching because they’re imagining twisty-twists the whole time. It’s especially frustrating when the show has always been consciously “theatrical” to some degree and encouraged suspending your disbelief (e.g. the childishness of the cops, the lack of concern for texting about crimes).

They did reshoots and shot scenes out of order due to location availability. Hader having slightly less stubble between scenes is not a tip-off that we’ve gone back in time (as speculated by people who thought the jump forward was a trick to begin with). Fuches’ new persona is interesting because that moron really did manage to change for once, and yet he still holds a sour ball of hatred in his gut for Barry Berkman. Why would anyone think it’s more interesting that he’s secretly the same as he was in the first half of the season?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

timp posted:

I watched this ep with no phone but somehow still missed a major plot point: How did Hank escape from Fuches after the failed missile launcher attempt?
he did a goofy pratfall down a big hill and you heard him painfully rolling and falling over the phone. in the next scene he's black and blue and covered in twigs and poo poo like elmer fudd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

very funny that Barry’s hair grows a Superman spit-curl in the scene where he finally decides to do the right thing (and then gets immediately owned)