Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
tim kennedy is back. faster and stronger and smarter than ever before.

https://twitter.com/TimKennedyMMA/status/1112580976423682048

some april fools poo poo or somethin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

please immediately book him v yoel romero

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

STONE COLD 64 posted:

please immediately book him v yoel romero

yes

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Skip My Posts posted:

https://twitter.com/TimKennedyMMA/status/1112580976423682048

some april fools poo poo or somethin?

he is 0-14-1 in his last 15 against the demons in his head. with no hitler to hunt, piss collectors to chase away under threat of being murdered, and no platform to call veterans with ptsd fakers, he had to come back and get in a fist fight with martin kampmann or something if they can track him down

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

he is 0-14-1 in his last 15 against the demons in his head. with no hitler to hunt, piss collectors to chase away under threat of being murdered, and no platform to call veterans with ptsd fakers, he had to come back and get in a fist fight with martin kampmann or something if they can track him down

I miss Martin Kampmann. Dude had some loving great fights.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I miss Martin Kampmann. Dude had some loving great fights.

he was fun yeah. welterweight as a whole was great to watch from like 2008 til woodley won it

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
For some reason i thought kampmann became the head coach of alpha male

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

david carmichael posted:

For some reason i thought kampmann became the head coach of alpha male

he was there for a while

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I have a good deal of respect for Martin "The 47th fighter nicknamed Hitman" Kampmann for actually staying retired instead of all these dudes who can't

MMA is worse than wrestling about this poo poo

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Reminder
https://twitter.com/NYid07/status/409075006962823168

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

By a little bit you mean '40 seconds' right?

he spent a decent amount of time on his feet and there were some parts of the fight where khabib had to work fairly hard to complete the takedown, fence work etc .. so in that respect, hes probably at least as good as any other of khabibs opponents

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

khabib hosed up Conor so hard his brain can't brain properly anymore. Dagestan #1.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

coconono posted:

khabib hosed up Conor so hard his brain can't brain properly anymore. Dagestan #1.

dont think it was khabib what did that

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bluedeanie posted:

dont think it was khabib what did that

khabib beat Conor so hard the cocaine found a way in

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

did he leave the usada testing pool because lol if so

if he was smart he would stay the gently caress away from the ufc and go lose in one fc or something

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I don't know if anyone else caught this but i just watched it and the parallels between the UFC and WWE are (unsurprisingly) huge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8UQ4O7UiDs

Worth noting that I think the UFC is doing a better job than the WWE but that's not saying much. The independent contractor thing isn't going away anytime soon with Trump being president and Linda McMahon in his administration and I actually think the WWE would be even less likely than the UFC to make the change, but pressure on the WWE is good for this purpose and if a miracle happened and they somehow caved to public pressure then I can't imagine the UFC wouldn't be far behind. Just something for you to all keep an eye on I guess.

edit: also the jokes are very bad so just deal with them

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

he spent a decent amount of time on his feet and there were some parts of the fight where khabib had to work fairly hard to complete the takedown, fence work etc .. so in that respect, hes probably at least as good as any other of khabibs opponents

Yeah, the first 40 seconds. The round that took place on the feet had nothing in it that made Conor look like he actually had a path to victory. When the threat of the takedown is that big, he couldn't strike with any confidence. He also kind of sucks at striking when he has to lead. Khabib had him scouted and landed a few really nice counter lead hooks.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Apologies if this has been discussed to death, but I am way behind the times and am now getting to the fights in Fight Pass that are blocked out for ESPN+, which makes me want to unsubscribe from Fight Pass very much. Should I subscribe to ESPN+ and drop Fight Pass?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
There's no reason for a US viewer to keep fight pass unless you're real into invicta and glory afaik

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I kept fight pass so I continue to use a VPN to watch ESPN+ cards and I can use my VPN to purchase PPV for $30.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
wtf when I had fightpass PPVs were still like 64 bucks

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

espn+ has fight archives?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I don't know if anyone else caught this but i just watched it and the parallels between the UFC and WWE are (unsurprisingly) huge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8UQ4O7UiDs

Worth noting that I think the UFC is doing a better job than the WWE but that's not saying much. The independent contractor thing isn't going away anytime soon with Trump being president and Linda McMahon in his administration and I actually think the WWE would be even less likely than the UFC to make the change, but pressure on the WWE is good for this purpose and if a miracle happened and they somehow caved to public pressure then I can't imagine the UFC wouldn't be far behind. Just something for you to all keep an eye on I guess.

edit: also the jokes are very bad so just deal with them

UFC fighters are in a much worse position in some ways.

UFC contracts don't offer any type of living stipend or downside guarantee. You don't fight, you don't get paid. Training and fight prep are all covered out of pocket by fighters in anticipation of money made from the fights. You get injured, piss hot, etc, all that money's lost.

There's also no guarantee on the timing of the fights. You sign for five fights(its usually like 3 and then 2 optional at the promoter's discretion), you fight those five fights whether it takes you 5 years of 15 years. IIRC both Rousey and Punk have fights left on their deals.

Free agency and contract termination are largely at the control of UFC. While they haven't really hosed with anyone than Rampage Jackson, if a fighter wants out to fight for another promotion, UFC has to consent. Same when it comes to new contracts. UFC contracts spell out negotiating periods and how they're executed. No "whelp contract is up, time to see what Bellator offers" unless UFC says you can go.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

coconono posted:

UFC fighters are in a much worse position in some ways.

UFC contracts don't offer any type of living stipend or downside guarantee. You don't fight, you don't get paid. Training and fight prep are all covered out of pocket by fighters in anticipation of money made from the fights. You get injured, piss hot, etc, all that money's lost.

There's also no guarantee on the timing of the fights. You sign for five fights(its usually like 3 and then 2 optional at the promoter's discretion), you fight those five fights whether it takes you 5 years of 15 years. IIRC both Rousey and Punk have fights left on their deals.

Free agency and contract termination are largely at the control of UFC. While they haven't really hosed with anyone than Rampage Jackson, if a fighter wants out to fight for another promotion, UFC has to consent. Same when it comes to new contracts. UFC contracts spell out negotiating periods and how they're executed. No "whelp contract is up, time to see what Bellator offers" unless UFC says you can go.

i'll defer to like anyone else in the whole world about how WWE wrestlers get paid so i don't know if they get paid regularly or per event or per day you show up to training/workout or what. I do know that the UFC guarantees you 3 fights a year though. If you fight less than 3 times a year, it's because you turned down a fight (injured, scared, etc). Rousey still has fights on her contract left because she entered Retired Status. Also you're right about the negotiating period except that they enter a period of time where the UFC can match outside offers, if they choose.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

i'll defer to like anyone else in the whole world about how WWE wrestlers get paid so i don't know if they get paid regularly or per event or per day you show up to training/workout or what. I do know that the UFC guarantees you 3 fights a year though. If you fight less than 3 times a year, it's because you turned down a fight (injured, scared, etc). Rousey still has fights on her contract left because she entered Retired Status. Also you're right about the negotiating period except that they enter a period of time where the UFC can match outside offers, if they choose.

wwe's contracts (for main roster) are a standard salary over a multi-year period, paying you a percentage of revenue from live events you perform on along with royalties for merchandise sales. wrestlers are usually required to do appearances/signings, most of the time without compensation, and receive a downside if they are injured/unable to perform during any extended duration of their contract. additionally, if they are injured/deemed unable to perform, wwe will freeze the contract indefinitely and resume it once they return.

a case of this was daniel bryan, who had signed a three year deal in august of 2013, due to expire in september of 2016. in early 2015, after repeated concussions, he was forced by the company to retire as a wrestler, and was brought back as an on screen character in june of 2016. there was also an 8 month period in 2014 where he was out for concussions. this added roughly two years to his contract because of freezing, so his new contract expiration was september of 2018. this is a raw deal as it is. so from june 2016 through march of 2018, he was a weekly on screen non wrestling character. he was still required to travel, attend tv, media, signings, everything obligated of main roster wrestlers outside of non televised live events. this is very much a full time job in it of itself. when his contract came due in september of 2018, they claimed that his non-wrestling status didn't count and he still owes an additional two years. whenever he would request his release, which was multiple times, even during retirement the company put onto him, the company wouldn't grant it. he's a really strong case study on the contractor vs employee argument.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

There was a point where a decent chunk of the 500 fighter roster hadn't fought at all in the last calender year. I don't think that was because they were all injured or scared.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

This is good info, thanks

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

There was a point where a decent chunk of the 500 fighter roster hadn't fought at all in the last calender year. I don't think that was because they were all injured or scared.

They either have to offer you 3 fights a year or just straight up pay you for the fight(s) they don't offer. I don't know if anyone ever determined if they pay out show vs win wages but it's definitely known they have to pay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

They either have to offer you 3 fights a year or just straight up pay you for the fight(s) they don't offer. I don't know if anyone ever determined if they pay out show vs win wages but it's definitely known they have to pay.

Then that must have been what happened. It was a couple of years ago when the roster was getting really bloated with fighters who'd jumped in as a late replacement. It was reported on various sites that something like a fifth of the roster hadn't fought at all in the last year.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

did he leave the usada testing pool because lol if so

if he was smart he would stay the gently caress away from the ufc and go lose in one fc or something

Yes, his last USADA test was 2016. But I can't take this seriously given the day he posted this.

Bluedeanie posted:

espn+ has fight archives?

Yes, they have all the events that have been shown on ESPN+ (obviously), as well as a seemingly random collection of other PPVs and maybe non-PPV events.

Wait what the gently caress, I just checked again and it actually looks like there's a lot LESS pre-espn archives on there than there was when it first launched, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a bunch (like a dozen or two) of two-digit and 1xx PPVs listed there but now the oldest thing I can find is UFC 197.

Anyway there's no proper way to browse any of it either you just have to type UFC in to the search bar it's dumb as poo poo.

EDIT: Ok after digging a bit more in their horrendous website I'd say that until they get their index/archiving/search in order, I'm changing my answer to NO they do not have fight archives because even if they're technically uploaded, there's no reliable way to find them.

I loving typed in "Gaethje" and the first result is some random upload of Gathje vs Alvarez, because who knows why.

Brut fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 2, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

heeebrew posted:

I kept fight pass so I continue to use a VPN to watch ESPN+ cards and I can use my VPN to purchase PPV for $30.

Yo can you recommend a VPN provider that's solid for this?

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Thank you for deferring to me. I don't know.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Brut posted:

Yes, his last USADA test was 2016. But I can't take this seriously given the day he posted this.

oh yeah, timezones and poo poo.

still, tim is a dickhead

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

Yes, they have all the events that have been shown on ESPN+ (obviously), as well as a seemingly random collection of other PPVs and maybe non-PPV events.

Wait what the gently caress, I just checked again and it actually looks like there's a lot LESS pre-espn archives on there than there was when it first launched, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a bunch (like a dozen or two) of two-digit and 1xx PPVs listed there but now the oldest thing I can find is UFC 197.

Anyway there's no proper way to browse any of it either you just have to type UFC in to the search bar it's dumb as poo poo.

EDIT: Ok after digging a bit more in their horrendous website I'd say that until they get their index/archiving/search in order, I'm changing my answer to NO they do not have fight archives because even if they're technically uploaded, there's no reliable way to find them.

I loving typed in "Gaethje" and the first result is some random upload of Gathje vs Alvarez, because who knows why.

Cool, so an even worse UI than Fight Pass, impressive.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Cool, so an even worse UI than Fight Pass, impressive.

I hear some of the console/roku/whatever apps are kinda garbage but I've never had a problem with Fight Pass web based UI.

I'd say my main gripe with fight pass is that while they supposedly have that feature where you can switch to the different cameras manually whenever you want, they seemed to have abandoned it long ago.

Let me watch an entire Al Iaquinta fight's worth of Longo/Serra.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brut posted:

I hear some of the console/roku/whatever apps are kinda garbage but I've never had a problem with Fight Pass web based UI.

I'd say my main gripe with fight pass is that while they supposedly have that feature where you can switch to the different cameras manually whenever you want, they seemed to have abandoned it long ago.

I mostly use it through apple tv and my mobile to chromecast, and both of those are kind of poo poo. Just little things that are annoying to me, but i imagine would be really frustrating to a newcomer, like not being able to go to either fighter's profile directly from the page of a fight, for instance. The fighters tab having all the champions under one tab, then the rankings (with the champions at the top) under a different tab.

None of it is app breaking, but you can tell no one has really looked at it critically since they implemented it.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
https://youtu.be/lBU4Hxqe8vY

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Conor’s April Fool’s joke was pretty solid

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1112785281252560896?s=20

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

Yeah, i went through the last couple of PPVs on Fight Pass and none of them offered corner audio, which is a big disappointment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fight Pass on the fire cube tv is bad, but the website on a PC is fine.