Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Powershift posted:

The new king of Asguard is a black woman, the new captain america is a black man, It's political correctness gone mad!

There's this one scene near the end where a bunch of lady heroes assemble to shield Peter Parker and save the day. I was half convinced that this was specifically made to piss off the chuds, and like it. Also, I want Scarlett Witch and Captain Marvel to hold me tight :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So I've got a dead landcruiser in my shed again- This time its my mates 80 series that did a head gasket AND cracked two pistons, so we're doing a top to bottom rebuild.

So while im waiting for the machine shop to finish with all the castings, I decided to do a bit of work on the wiring. Its a 1992 built vehicle, and 27 years of diesel and oil leaks have made the stock loom wrap turn into dust, so Im slowly fixing that up.

And 27 years worth of added electrical accessories. My mate freely admits he doesnt really know enough about 12v electrical work to do NEAT work, but he knows enough how to get poo poo to work, so Im working on rectifying that.

Hes a great friend, but he REALLY needs to put down the electrical tape and soldering iron!

To be fair though, a solid 1/3 of the poo poo under the dash is a REALLY lovely alarm install that was literally shoved into the footwell and held up there by prayer. Found at least three points where there were bare joints because the electrical tape fell off. And two spots where poo poo was rubbing on the steering column!

Its certainly escalated quickly. Just pull it all out and start again. At least I can recycle a lot of the wiring!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I loving hate wiring, and that would be grounds to scrap that poo poo

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Ferremit posted:

Its certainly escalated quickly. Just pull it all out and start again. At least I can recycle a lot of the wiring!

Back when I was doing 12V electrical work the standard installations became pretty monotonous. It got to the point where only the most hosed up wiring repairs made me happy :gbsmith:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

STR posted:

"I've never known anyone poor enough to shop at Goodwill"
On one hand, I really hate this idea that thrift stores are exclusively for The Poors. Not only is it disgustingly classist, but also a thrift store is a place you go to support a charitable organization (which often itself supports several others) in exchange for oft-uncommon used stuff. If I made 3x what I do now I'd still be thrifting, likely more than I do currently (cause finding the good poo poo takes time I don't always have).
On the other, I'm a selfish gently caress and if everyone who can afford to shop elsewhere looks at my hobby with disdain then my only competition is people who're there for economic reasons and weirdo hipsters and I'm sort of ok with that. Certainly many of my best scores were in the thrift stores in bougie parts of town.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Thrift stores are great, because otherwise you have to use Craigslist or one of the hobby-resale shops to get old poo poo. We don't have an equivalent of e.g. Hard Off or Hobby Off in Canada, which is a real tragedy.

I'm a little on the fence about our local thrifts.

Goodwill in the US pays way below minimum wage for its developmentally disabled workers, arguing that just giving them a job is good enough and they can't be expected to pay them properly when they're literally getting their inventory for free. I'm not sure if that's the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Savers/Value Village is one hundred percent a for-profit operation. They might kick in a few charity donations to cushion their taxes, but they price pretty aggressively. Usually they actually have stuff, though, so their intake and locations clearly work.

There's a "Women in Need" chain here run by a women's shelter. They pay their employees a reasonable wage (above minimum, I think), each store does its own sorting and prep, and they usually have higher quality stuff as a result. Their profits go right back into the shelters and battered-women support groups. By far my favourite place to thrift.

I usually am looking for old computer poo poo, so one of my big nemeses in town is the electronics recycling association. They will take in machines, scrap them without looking, and take anything that's sellable and sell it to the Third World as "school computers," unprepared, for huge profits. Giving them your old poo poo makes you feel good, though, and they make it convenient thanks to greasing the right palms with the city.

Thrifting rules. Poor people buy flashy new poo poo they don't need and can't afford to impress other poor people.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 28, 2019

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

WINS owns. And yea, thrift isn't always 100% morally sound (*side-eyes salarmy*) but when it's stuff I'd be going to Wal-Mart for otherwise, it still feels like a lesser of evils.
Let's not forget the ReStore, I've built half my garage infrastructure and a fair bit of car stuff out of that place.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NumbersMatching320 posted:

WINS owns. And yea, thrift isn't always 100% morally sound (*side-eyes salarmy*) but when it's stuff I'd be going to Wal-Mart for otherwise, it still feels like a lesser of evils.
Let's not forget the ReStore, I've built half my garage infrastructure and a fair bit of car stuff out of that place.

I was wondering how you managed to get those stainless steel floorpans with the nice drains.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

All the second hand places in my area belong to mostly the same bad chain. They're a good employer.

But they almost exclusively have clothing and furniture, maybe a shelf of really, really bad electronics. You won't find a forgotten IBM Model M there. They're also just as expensive as buying on eBay. Worst thing though is that they are really inconsistent with what they take in. Wanted to give them my old desk, but it hat a scratch on the surface so they wouldn't take it. Meanwhile, the furniture in their store have inch deep cuts from knives, broken off pieces and what not. Was told it was because the broken furniture sells well with hipsters (my desk was of a modern style, so maybe it didn't look homely and cutesy with a mark as the old quaint ones). Okay. Sold my desk for 80 bucks online.

Anyway that's my Ted talk about sad second hand store experiences.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Lord Stimperor posted:

There's this one scene near the end where a bunch of lady heroes assemble to shield Peter Parker and save the day. I was half convinced that this was specifically made to piss off the chuds, and like it. Also, I want Scarlett Witch and Captain Marvel to hold me tight :kimchi:

I wondered the same thing. It was a bit dumb though because come on spidy do you think she needs help? Did you not just see what CM did to that space battleship by herself?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm kinda pissed about Avengers because

Thanos killed half of the universe with the stones on his left hand. The lives were restored with the stones on the right hand. Yet another case of anti-left-hand bias. I say that jokingly, but seriously as a left-hander, these things are more common than the righties think, and there is NO reason that they couldn't have just made the good guys also use a left hand glove.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hulk no south paw.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The left hand exists so that one can continue to use a mouse.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Overhearing one of the nurses talk about her Audi burning oil. "The light came on at the end of February and we took it in yesterday."

:negative:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got $100 from the Lowe's coupon deal today. Free die grinder and bar clamps.

Coupon you say? Something you can share?
Daddy needs a new string trimmer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Coupon you say? Something you can share?
Daddy needs a new string trimmer.

It was a 1-day deal yesterday. You gave them your cell phone number by texting to a number Lowe's shared and they send you a coupon for anywhere from $5 to $500.

I got $5. :(

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Residency Evil posted:

Overhearing one of the nurses talk about her Audi burning oil. "The light came on at the end of February and we took it in yesterday."

:negative:

Audi? More like oh dea-r

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

I wondered the same thing. It was a bit dumb though because come on spidy do you think she needs help? Did you not just see what CM did to that space battleship by herself?
I found the A-Force thing a bit too noticeable, if that makes sense? As in I liked the reference being there, but it kind of jumped out at me. Like "Norway" being Scotland.

meatpimp posted:

I'm kinda pissed about Avengers because

Thanos killed half of the universe with the stones on his left hand. The lives were restored with the stones on the right hand. Yet another case of anti-left-hand bias. I say that jokingly, but seriously as a left-hander, these things are more common than the righties think, and there is NO reason that they couldn't have just made the good guys also use a left hand glove.
Yeah, but Thanos is clearly meant to be quite literally sinister.

Overall, I thought Endgame was a great finish to the storyline they've built up since Ironman, I can't decide if I think it's the best MCU film, but it's very good.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Overall, I thought Endgame was a great finish to the storyline they've built up since Ironman, I can't decide if I think it's the best MCU film, but it's very good.

I bet I could trim 20 minutes off the runtime and not lose anything important. That's my biggest gripe against it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, but Thanos is clearly meant to be quite literally sinister.

Exactly. Playing into the left handed people are sinister stereotype.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, someone tell him.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Oh God, someone tell him.

Or just say it yourself?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sinister is Latin for left.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Sinister is Latin for left.

That's some archaic bullshit to pull the "oh god, somebody tell him" card. :rolleyes:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

That's some archaic bullshit to pull the "oh god, somebody tell him" card. :rolleyes:
I was clearly being overly dexterous with my puns on this occasion.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, gently caress people.

I took the kids to McDonalds yesterday (I know, I know) in my wife's Focus and it was one of those McDonalds with two ordering lanes that merge back together. I finish ordering, but some asshat in a VW was taking forever to pull up. I let the person from the other drive-through go (it was their turn) but the truck behind them was done as well and tried to go too - but I was quick enough and got in front of them without a problem. He didn't slam on his brakes or anything but it was clear he wasn't happy that I got in front of his Lifted Dodge Rebel with my little Focus.

This rear end in a top hat went around me on the right and forced his way in front of me - if I didn't back up, he would have hit my car because there wasn't any room and he wasn't having it.

The joke's on him though, he got my order (which was cheaper). McDonalds charged me for his but refunded me the difference and didn't charge me for the rest of mine so I paid $4 for about $15 worth of food.

It's the little things in life but seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with some people?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Double drive through lanes are the dumbest goddamn thing.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Random question, who was the grave digging goon with the grass growing soil mix recipe?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Man, gently caress people.

Bought some metal roofing from Lowe's today, and the lady in front of me in the contractor's checkout had some kind of argument with the cashier about the price on the prehung double doors she was buying. With her was the extended family, probably 8 or 9 head of people including small children.

Eventually, another associate opened the other lane and waved me up - I checked out and by that time the argument was over and they had also checked out. The whole group proceeded to stop in the middle of the exit doors and rearrange their items on the cart. Eventually my cashier got their attention and asked them to move. They very loudly protested that they were JUST TRYING TO KEEP THEIR STUFF FROM FALLING (mostly by looking at it and discussing unrelated events with a friend who ambled up, by my estimation).

So I had to creep through the middle of their group with a 12' sheet of metal roofing flat on a cart, sharp metal corners exposed right at eyeball height of several kids running around. They continued their protestations about everyone in this area being awful, and Lowe's employees being unhelpful, as I slowly got through and for as long as I was in earshot.

As I was leaving, they had gotten this huge double door with glass windows loaded onto a tiny utility trailer - and I saw it flop over, and heard a lot of yelling. I hope it was unreturnable, the fuckers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

How "full mamma jamma" are we talking? Get a stupidly expensive workstation

Dunno yet gonna find out the budget tomorrow but I’m thinking something with a 2tb ssd sounds good :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I recently went to McD's for the first time in like 10 years.

Tried their fresh beef quarter pounders. They weren't terrible. Not amazing though, but definitely edible and I didn't feel like poo poo afterwards. The buns were SURPRISINGLY good.

I'd still rather go to Five Guys though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

"Fresh Beef Quarter Pounder" like they're advertising they don't gently caress up the ingredients this time?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I had my first date on tinder last night, and it ended in my first ghost this morning. She was out of my league sure but I wish I checked tinder to see that she unmatched me before I sent her a few texts this morning. Oops.

e: when I say it ended this morning I mean of course we parted last night without so much as a hug.

She dug the stang tho

Cage fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 29, 2019

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

mewse posted:

"Fresh Beef Quarter Pounder" like they're advertising they don't gently caress up the ingredients this time?

This patty is only 50% cardboard!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cage posted:

I had my first date on tinder last night, and it ended in my first ghost this morning.

Ugh that's just the worst. Good luck finding less sucky people next time.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Got all ripped yo to do the front struts on the Mazda today. Confirmed last night at 10pm with my mechanic on the diagrams and torque specs and start time of 2pm. Wrangled a bud into helping.

Sent em a text at 1:30 to no response. Didn't pick up the phone when I called at 2:15. We cracked open the boxes of front struts and were totally baffled by some of the instructions. Bought KYB excel g's and the instructions indicate you need to use their strut mounts and mount gasket kit?

Me and my bud debated this at length over cigarettes and couldn't come to a definitive answer: we can just use the OEM strut mounts again if the rubber is good, right? As far as we could tell, there's nothing really requiring the need for KYB's bumper material. If the threading is the same, slapping the OEM mount and spring back on should be fine.

Thoughts? I've never done MacPherson fronts and there's no way to be absolutely sure until we tear everything apart.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just go crazy. Break poo poo and learn. What's the worst that can happen?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Savers/Value Village is one hundred percent a for-profit operation. They might kick in a few charity donations to cushion their taxes, but they price pretty aggressively. Usually they actually have stuff, though, so their intake and locations clearly work.

There's a Savers nearby that I've been meaning to check out. Looks like a huge place, too.

A lot of my clothing is from Buffalo Exchange in Dallas, which buys clothing outright, and they're pretty picky about what they'll take. I have a bunch of stuff I need to try to take to the one here in Austin - they give you a bit more if you take store credit instead of cash, and they usually have nice stuff. But they're about a half hour away from me. I need to empty about half of my closet out; there's so much stuff that I just never wear, or I don't fit in anymore.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MC Hawking posted:

we can just use the OEM strut mounts again if the rubber is good, right? As far as we could tell, there's nothing really requiring the need for KYB's bumper material. If the threading is the same, slapping the OEM mount and spring back on should be fine.
If they're stock replacement struts, pretty much, yes, I think they're just covering their arse against people putting fresh struts onto knackered everything else and then saying their product's crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Boy I love when parents decide to dump anything they think is yours (hint: half of it wasn't mine) on you when they come to visit. I get it, they want my poo poo gone, but they could have done it a bit.... better.

They included a full propane cylinder with a torch tip on it. Leaking. Had no clue that was in there until I went to the garage about 8 hours later, opened it, and the smell of mercaptan hit me in the face as soon as the door started opening. Cue me digging through everything to finally find the torch buried in the bottom of the toolbox stepdad brought down... which is half full of water and oil. :fuckoff:

The stuff actually worth anything (all of my backdrop and lighting stuff for photography) is somehow missing. But the radiator they wanted me to put in mom's car came along for the ride. Hint: they're taking the new radiator with them back to Dallas and paying a shop to put it in after this, and between that and the snide racist comments directed at GF from hell all night, they're on my "not talking to you" list now (you guys know our relationship is lovely, and we all know this relationship isn't lasting, but... don't make nonstop comments about her intelligence [she's a member of MENSA], and NEVER loving insult people based on their race).

I don't give a poo poo if it's a mistake or not, don't bury explosives in a loving tool chest. That gets you off of my Christmas card list immediately. My renters insurance liability limit wouldn't even come close to replacing the building, before you factor in the cars parked in there.

:fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 29, 2019