Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Ah well this sucks but what can I do. I don't even eat fast food I was getting a Frosty to take to my kids school, I was meeting her for lunch she got picked to be in a play.

Wait, I think

Ether Frenzy posted:

The object was not stationary, you are mis-stating this incident and what really happened was a piece of concrete block fell off a truck in front of you and you swerved to avoid the road hazard.

Yeah, you mis spoke. This is clearly what happened.

Anyways, here's my lil buddy!

He's a little sweetie but he only likes three pets. Four pets gets you a nibble. You can see his clipped ear tip that notes he's been fixed and gotten a round of shots at the vet before being released. As much as we'd love to keep him he's loved by a few neighborhood kids so we're just going to make a temporary insulated box for him and maybe build a nice little kitty home for him so he can be safe and warm.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Car shopping really sucks. FINALLY think I've found what I want, but on closer inspection, the only low mileage example around is a base-model with barely any options in a color I don't think I like. So now I have to wait and see if something else pops up, or spend another week agonizing over what I can get in my price range that I won't hate. Unless I just suck it up and buy the base trim in silver.

Sad!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, the IRS isn't loving around this year. Filed at 11:49. Accepted at 12:06. :stare:

What's that white stuff covering the shrubs?

T-Square posted:

Car shopping really sucks. FINALLY think I've found what I want, but on closer inspection, the only low mileage example around is a base-model with barely any options in a color I don't think I like. So now I have to wait and see if something else pops up, or spend another week agonizing over what I can get in my price range that I won't hate. Unless I just suck it up and buy the base trim in silver.

Didn't know my GF had her car for sale. :v:

(she has an 85k 2005 toyota... it has one option - floormats. Thankfully AC is standard)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 2, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In Indiana we leave our cocaine all over the place.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

T-Square posted:

buy the base trim in silver.

Don't make a terrible life decision like that or any Toyota/Jeep in baby poo poo brown. At the end of the day, you have to look at yourself in the mirror.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ether Frenzy posted:

The object was not stationary, you are mis-stating this incident and what really happened was a piece of concrete block fell off a truck in front of you and you swerved to avoid the road hazard.

Maybe don't commit insurance fraud?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Suburban Dad posted:

No, commit serious crimes to save $80 and spite one of the millions of cellphone drivers who won't be impacted in any way, shape, or form

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what if we guillotine all car havers i bet that would solve a lot of these issues

:smugmrgw:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what if we guillotine all car havers i bet that would solve a lot of these issues

:smugmrgw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

T-Square
May 14, 2009

But then how would I be able to get to work to slave away for an evil corporation?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If I can't file against the jackass who ran me off the road then I'm not doing anything, just sucks. Should have never have even bought a brand new car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's two recommends in two days on this, I need to watch it since the actual races are, uh, shall we say.. not as dramatic as they could be.

And Amazon Prime's "Hitting the Apex" I pretty much recommend to anyone who likes racing/cars/MotoGP/vehicles of any type/storytelling/drama.

They did a really good job of having a narrative for the overall season, the tension in the teams and delicious drama that we all crave. It was a nice way to condense the season down and get some good side stories otherwise lost in the shuffle of who is on top.

In other misc stuff I randomly googled the VIN of my old Mazdaspeed 6 to see if it is out in the wild. I found it https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=30872177&RowNumber=25&loadRecent=True

Died at the hands of a rollover :smith: and it appears to be recent as well.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Reminds me I recently did a massive dump of old files and papers but kept some old registration info. Need to google the VIN of my old 300Z TT and a few others see if they are still around 15-20+ years later for some.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny Nox posted:

a grill that can close to improve highway fuel economy.

How does that work? It deflects the wind rather than having a big open chamber that just sort of collects it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fakeaccount posted:

How does that work? It deflects the wind rather than having a big open chamber that just sort of collects it?

Basically, yeah. "Active grille shutters", since if you don't need the air for cooling it is less of a drag penalty to push it around the car instead of through the radiator and engine bay.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hello ding dongs

My ding dong is bigger. His name is Charlie because he lives in the chocolate factory.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 3, 2019

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

Perhaps you didn't see, our president has shown that crimes are acceptable, good, and to be used to your advantage at every point. Sorry Geico shareholders for this extremely criminal suggestion I've made!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Holy poo poo.

https://youtu.be/TRozAbaKs9M

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

it was really well done.
Also I feel I need to add the obligatory:
A key that can open many locks is called a master key, but a lock that can be opened by many keys is a lovely lock.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That was great

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

it was really well done.
Also I feel I need to add the obligatory:
A key that can open many locks is called a master key, but a lock that can be opened by many keys is a lovely lock.

Oh, hey, I forgot I was going to ask you:

Do you have a hook-up for vandy parts? I took your advice and spent a little bit more to get a pair of 2Ci, but one of them has a blown/clunky woofer. I haven't de-socked it yet to see what's going on in there, but if it's not something that can be re-foamed (the Ci should have neoprene instead of foam anyway) or re-glued, where do people generally get parts?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I know this is super basic to everyone here, but next week I'll be doing stuff on my car for the first time myself (well aside from putting water in and swapping wheels). I've booked a diy garage to change oil, oi and air filters for a start.

However the car is nearing it's 2year/30000km service interval, so more will be needed after that.

Does anyone know a good format for a log to keep track of all the things you do? Like that doesn't only show what you do but where you can eeasily see when the next item is due?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What kind of car?

Some automakers have a service history online, and you can put in your own entries. That's what I've been using. GM offers it in their owner center for all GM customers, not sure about other makes.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

everdave posted:

If I can't file against the jackass who ran me off the road then I'm not doing anything, just sucks. Should have never have even bought a brand new car.

Do you have coverage for legal aid? They should be able to get a non-cooperative party to cooperate

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

STR posted:

What kind of car?

Some automakers have a service history online, and you can put in your own entries. That's what I've been using. GM offers it in their owner center for all GM customers, not sure about other makes.

VW

It's 11 years old now and all the service has been done by dealer garages so far.

E: appears VW only gives access to maintenance logs to dealers, customers and third parties only get print outs and can't enter data

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 3, 2019

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Guess who just spent 9 hours today ripping out a bathroom wall because it was filled with mold

Also, guess who has a serious mold allergy and looks/sounds like the love child of a leper and an untreated asthmatic

I just want to get back to my cars man

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Guess who just spent 9 hours today ripping out a bathroom wall because it was filled with mold

Also, guess who has a serious mold allergy and looks/sounds like the love child of a leper and an untreated asthmatic

I just want to get back to my cars man

was it batman?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"I have another beaver I keep on the side, my wife doesn't know about this one, let's take a look at it. You'll see this one is perfectly smooth on the outside, that's actually pretty common on the newer beavers..."

:pedo:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got nowhere else to say this, but I got completely hooked by one April fools joke this year. My friend posted on FB that after 4 years, he's finally finished his project Corrado, with accompanying shiny car photo.
Of course I should have known, nobody ever finishes a project car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

I know this is super basic to everyone here, but next week I'll be doing stuff on my car for the first time myself (well aside from putting water in and swapping wheels). I've booked a diy garage to change oil, oi and air filters for a start.

However the car is nearing it's 2year/30000km service interval, so more will be needed after that.

Does anyone know a good format for a log to keep track of all the things you do? Like that doesn't only show what you do but where you can eeasily see when the next item is due?

I've been using aCar for ages, which is now part of fuelly.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hello ding dongs

As this is most definitely The Bad Place, I concur with your salutation

In other news it appears it's possible to lease a '19 Challenger Hellcat widebody for ~$600/mo for a 36/10 lease. Stay tuned.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Tremek posted:

In other news it appears it's possible to lease a '19 Challenger Hellcat widebody for ~$600/mo for a 36/10 lease. Stay tuned.

36/10? Ugh. Spring for the 12 at least, then you have a nice round "1000 miles a month" budget.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

36/10? Ugh. Spring for the 12 at least, then you have a nice round "1000 miles a month" budget.

Yeah, this is what I did and I'm coming in just under my mileage, although I assume the Hellcat would (maybe?) not be a daily driver, so.

Wisconsin's swing-state-ness can be fuckin' stressful sometimes, almost every election comes down to the wire. Just had our election for Supreme Court Justice last night and the Conservative candidate came out .4% ahead or something like that with a few precincts and early votes to be reported yet. Might be a recount, but it looks like our Supreme Court is going to get even more stacked towards the right. Worst part is this guy was Walker's attorney, and was previously appointed by him as well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

How much down? What residual? $21k is a lot to pay for something to just give back at the end.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Raluek posted:

Oh, hey, I forgot I was going to ask you:

Do you have a hook-up for vandy parts? I took your advice and spent a little bit more to get a pair of 2Ci, but one of them has a blown/clunky woofer. I haven't de-socked it yet to see what's going on in there, but if it's not something that can be re-foamed (the Ci should have neoprene instead of foam anyway) or re-glued, where do people generally get parts?

oof that sucks. I hope you got a hell of a deal on them.
as far as I know the only place to get parts is directly from Vandersteen. He's pretty good about replying though.
"CALL 559-582-0324 AND PRESS 4 FOR SERVICE AND LEAVE A MESSAGE AS THIS PHONE IS NOT ATTENDED. SERVICE WILL GIVE YOU COSTS AND INSTRUCTIONS."
"ALL PARTS CAN BE ORDERED FROM US AT 559-582-0324."
https://www.vandersteen.com/support/ask-richard

Speaking of Vandy's this dude in West Covenia, CA has a pair of 2ce for $250:
https://offerup.com/item/detail/650...DEaArJLEALw_wcB

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Tremek posted:

When I search for a used car I try to keep my theoretical payment under $500 a month so it’s only $100 a month more for a brand new widebody Hellcat? Great googly moogly.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

Maybe, I don't commute and last year I didn't put 12k on 2 vehicles combined so I doubt I need it.

T-Square posted:

Yeah, this is what I did and I'm coming in just under my mileage, although I assume the Hellcat would (maybe?) not be a daily driver, so.

Yeah, certainly not a must-drive-this-every-day car.

meatpimp posted:

How much down? What residual? $21k is a lot to pay for something to just give back at the end.

I wouldn't put anything down other than the first payment and an acquisition fee, putting cash into leases up front (especially for decreasing the capitalized cost) is a fool's errand.

Money factor is something very low like 0.00012 (.288% APR!) and residual values are likely between 59-63% depending on the term/miles, trying to get confirmation there as Chrysler Capital may have updated their rates yesterday but of course dealers are reluctant to share any details.

Modus Man posted:

When I search for a used car I try to keep my theoretical payment under $500 a month so it’s only $100 a month more for a brand new widebody Hellcat? Great googly moogly.

Yup, exactly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Are you building tire costs of at least 1000/mo into that?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, pretty much this.

It's kind of cool to see truck makers pursue trucks as technology drivers rather than dinosaurs. I think you can still get Ram with a euro-sourced 3.0l diesel, and 4 corner airbag suspension which will change the ride height of your truck at highway speeds, and a grill that can close to improve highway fuel economy.

The problem is that they're pursuing trucks as a replacement for full size SUVs, not as loving pickups. You can't even get many of the manufacturers' main line pickups in regular cab with full length bed anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

nm posted:

Are you building tire costs of at least 1000/mo into that?

This isn't my first rodeo