Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
managing who can see your posts is important for sure, but i feel like that's orthogonal to the whole "horrible people are empowered to spread hate and propaganda" issue the larger networks are dealing with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Schadenboner posted:

Like, the circles thing was really good?

that was pretty much the long & short of it. If you wanted to talk to every stranger possible, you could. If you never wanted to see a post by someone you didn't specifically whitelist, you could do that, and do so in a simple, straightforward, understandable way.

infernal machines posted:

managing who can see your posts is important for sure, but i feel like that's orthogonal to the whole "horrible people are empowered to spread hate and propaganda" issue the larger networks are dealing with

You can't spread propaganda to people when they can't see it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the circles thing was good except you couldn’t have your own circle of identities so you’d have to juggle multiple accounts if you wanted to shitpost semi anonymously

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
social network that effectively blocks spread of viral content turns out to be unpopular. hmm...

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the weird thing is that google actually fundamentally understood human interaction better than twitter or facebook, which is pretty loving amazing in a couple of ways.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
even playing darts blindfolded, someone is always closest to bullseye

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotor posted:

the weird thing is that google actually fundamentally understood human interaction better than twitter or facebook, which is pretty loving amazing in a couple of ways.

um no they didnt they made google buzz first which was opt out and connected you automatically to everyone you ever emailed

the only reason g+ had any of the controls it did was because buzz didnt have any at all and everyone pointed out exactly what controls a social network should have

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

um no they didnt they made google buzz first which was opt out and connected you automatically to everyone you ever emailed

the only reason g+ had any of the controls it did was because buzz didnt have any at all and everyone pointed out exactly what controls a social network should have

so i guess google is better at listening to user feedback? still pretty weird imo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
in the case of buzz that "user feedback" came in the form of an ftc consent decree

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i dont remember anything about buzz

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they also had orkut which was a fun little thing for a bit until literally every group had people spamming it in all caps portugese every 20 seconds

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

they also had orkut which was a fun little thing for a bit until literally every group had people spamming it in all caps portugese every 20 seconds

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it was also invite only for so long that it was already dead when they opened it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

that's because they have all that ad data so they know how you connect already.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

that's because they have all that ad data so they know how you connect already.

this is why I never understood the need for a single identity in plus, google knows behind the scenes who you actually are and can show you the correct ads so why force someone into a single public facing identity?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think that's mostly to encourage people not on the platform to join with as much real info as possible. they also probably don't want to promote a network of people anonymous to each other since it leads to discussions that are less relevant to advertisers.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

this is why I never understood the need for a single identity in plus, google knows behind the scenes who you actually are and can show you the correct ads so why force someone into a single public facing identity?

google was jealous. they were doing a ton of work trying to track and correlate users across sites, and here comes Facebook and people will just *give* them all the information they want. age, religion, relationship status, education level, and a whole network of relations. things that had to be algorithmically guessed using big data was just there, freely offered. Facebook spends less money on traffic acquisition and gets paid more for their ads.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

I'm not sure this is true, at least in practice. I've got several goog accounts and I see very little bleedover of ad subjects.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they keep it specific to the signed in user, but its definitely tracking that you use both identities and then correlating them across devices

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
today on my way to work i was driving behind a van for some home repair contractor that had a big "find us on g+ !" on the back

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
i read on this website that circles was used to coordinate harassment without being visible to the victims.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

google was jealous. they were doing a ton of work trying to track and correlate users across sites, and here comes Facebook and people will just *give* them all the information they want. age, religion, relationship status, education level, and a whole network of relations. things that had to be algorithmically guessed using big data was just there, freely offered. Facebook spends less money on traffic acquisition and gets paid more for their ads.

💯% correct. The fact that when you hit google.com rn for a web search you're probably logged is the reason google didn't care at all the fb feed style frontend died.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

that leads to more questions than it answers. why even do all of the poo poo that made users revolt when they couldve just rolled out single sign in for google stuff and ignored the social media aspect of it all?

i mean i know the answer is vic but ive always had the same opinion as qirex on the matter which is that google couldve gotten everything they wanted and avoided all of the backlash by simply unifying their logins and changing their eulas and not doing everything else that was hated so vociferously. i intellectually understand their reasoning for doing what they did but its so hard to actually believe in them misunderstanding human nature so fundamentally in practice when it was so obvious not just in hindsight but at the time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LastInLine posted:

i mean i know the answer is vic but ive always had the same opinion as qirex on the matter which is that google couldve gotten everything they wanted and avoided all of the backlash by simply unifying their logins and changing their eulas and not doing everything else that was hated so vociferously. i intellectually understand their reasoning for doing what they did but its so hard to actually believe in them misunderstanding human nature so fundamentally in practice when it was so obvious not just in hindsight but at the time
I'd guess a healthy dose of misguided libertarian utopian valley thinking was involved, like "well these anonymous systems have awful trolls, maybe people will behave when it's their real names" but oh look instead they're celebrities now

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

I'd guess a healthy dose of misguided libertarian utopian valley thinking was involved, like "well these anonymous systems have awful trolls, maybe people will behave when it's their real names" but oh look instead they're celebrities now

youll never convince me a libertarian has ever wanted to solve any problem that wasnt "i dont have enough money"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

youll never convince me a libertarian has ever wanted to solve any problem that wasnt "i dont have enough money"

libertarians (the poor kind, not the rich assholes) are naive morons. the kind of people that believe that magically everything would be better if we replaced firemen and food inspectors with corporations are also the kind that believe unfiltered free speech will make society better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LastInLine posted:

nah a lot of them are like “more freedom = better than under all circumstances” they tend to be the kinds of weirdos who like to complain that the lunch line in the cafeteria isn’t perfectly optimized

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
scroogled again

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

google+ forcing that youtube bait & switch along with all the other secfucks was what finally killed my opinion of them for good. that’s my story thanks for reading

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

scroogled again

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

qirex posted:

nah a lot of them are like “more freedom = better than under all circumstances”

you don't need to talk around it, we know libertarians are all pedophiles

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

you don't need to talk around it, we know libertarians are all pedophiles

let's be fair, some of them are merely druggie gun humpers who explicitly tolerate pedophiles

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Management posted:

libertarians (the poor kind, not the rich assholes) are naive morons. the kind of people that believe that magically everything would be better if we replaced firemen and food inspectors with corporations are also the kind that believe unfiltered free speech will make society better.

it's basically a position of no thought where you take it as axiomatic that more freedom is always the answer to every problem and then you can turn your brain off the rest of the day and just coast and frankly i can see the attraction.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

hell yeah turn your brain all the way off, at any age.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4602730/you-sell-heroin-5-year-old-boos

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rotor posted:

it's basically a position of no thought where you take it as axiomatic that more freedom is always the answer to every problem and then you can turn your brain off the rest of the day and just coast and frankly i can see the attraction.

same but free software

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Management posted:

same but free software

oh man i got some reckons wrt that let me tell u what

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The Management posted:

same but free software

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
while google plus is dead, google executives continue to make their own circles, such as ones for their family, ones for the subordinates they’re loving, and ones for their other secret family.

take the most recent example, one David Drummond, senior vice president and chief legal officer of alphabet. he started dating a woman who worked for him, had a child with her, and then had her transferred out of his department, ghosted her, denied child support, and started sleeping with another employee. oh, he’s also married with kids. again, he is the top lawyer in the company.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...affair-policies

this follows the examples of known sleaze-bags Erik Schmidt (sex-dungeon owner and burning-man creep), Andy Rubin (wife swapper fired for harassment), and Sergei Brin (intern fucker).

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

gooplus was a good time. I was syntaxrigger in those times. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I honestly miss it because maybe 12 of us could talk to each other without seeing bullshit from other people.