Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rss [with some minor improvements] is the answer to a ton of things online but giving control to the end user is anathema to attention economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

anyway rss is good and if you're doing a web thing you should support it

:hmmyes:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google lives by ABLINCP

Always
Be
Launching
Incompatible
New
Chat
Protocols

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the circles thing was good except you couldn’t have your own circle of identities so you’d have to juggle multiple accounts if you wanted to shitpost semi anonymously

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they also had orkut which was a fun little thing for a bit until literally every group had people spamming it in all caps portugese every 20 seconds

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

that's because they have all that ad data so they know how you connect already.

this is why I never understood the need for a single identity in plus, google knows behind the scenes who you actually are and can show you the correct ads so why force someone into a single public facing identity?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LastInLine posted:

i mean i know the answer is vic but ive always had the same opinion as qirex on the matter which is that google couldve gotten everything they wanted and avoided all of the backlash by simply unifying their logins and changing their eulas and not doing everything else that was hated so vociferously. i intellectually understand their reasoning for doing what they did but its so hard to actually believe in them misunderstanding human nature so fundamentally in practice when it was so obvious not just in hindsight but at the time
I'd guess a healthy dose of misguided libertarian utopian valley thinking was involved, like "well these anonymous systems have awful trolls, maybe people will behave when it's their real names" but oh look instead they're celebrities now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LastInLine posted:

youll never convince me a libertarian has ever wanted to solve any problem that wasnt "i dont have enough money"

nah a lot of them are like “more freedom = better than under all circumstances” they tend to be the kinds of weirdos who like to complain that the lunch line in the cafeteria isn’t perfectly optimized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

you don't need to talk around it, we know libertarians are all pedophiles

let's be fair, some of them are merely druggie gun humpers who explicitly tolerate pedophiles