Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotor posted:

the weird thing is that google actually fundamentally understood human interaction better than twitter or facebook, which is pretty loving amazing in a couple of ways.

um no they didnt they made google buzz first which was opt out and connected you automatically to everyone you ever emailed

the only reason g+ had any of the controls it did was because buzz didnt have any at all and everyone pointed out exactly what controls a social network should have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

that leads to more questions than it answers. why even do all of the poo poo that made users revolt when they couldve just rolled out single sign in for google stuff and ignored the social media aspect of it all?

i mean i know the answer is vic but ive always had the same opinion as qirex on the matter which is that google couldve gotten everything they wanted and avoided all of the backlash by simply unifying their logins and changing their eulas and not doing everything else that was hated so vociferously. i intellectually understand their reasoning for doing what they did but its so hard to actually believe in them misunderstanding human nature so fundamentally in practice when it was so obvious not just in hindsight but at the time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

I'd guess a healthy dose of misguided libertarian utopian valley thinking was involved, like "well these anonymous systems have awful trolls, maybe people will behave when it's their real names" but oh look instead they're celebrities now

youll never convince me a libertarian has ever wanted to solve any problem that wasnt "i dont have enough money"