Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Zadda posted:

Anyone here having issues with the mission/quest "double cross" from dr. Kvasir? I have to meet him in his lab and I can reach him, but when I'm inside and press the button to talk to him nothing happens. I've opened a ticket with support but curious if others have encountered the same issue and have a possible fix.

I can just leave the lab and to other thing meanwhile, I just can't progress in the "story" anymore it seems.

Yeah, I had that same issue and doing some searching a bunch of people do. I just kept hitting interact until it finally worked. Took about 5 minutes. I wanted to like this game but man is this one of the more disappointing games I've played in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Ah, I'll give that a go, thanks!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Zadda posted:

Ah, I'll give that a go, thanks!

Yeah, try crouching, try from behind. It's really weird how it just works at some point.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just realized after 15 or so hours of play that I've been doing it with pretty obvious input lag. I didn't really realize it until I tried to drive a motorcycle. I'm guessing it's DS4Windows fuckery. I shoulda bought it on Steam but got it from GMG for 45 bucks. I guess the Bethesda launcher doesn't have QoL poo poo like support for like every controller.

sm_sa
Mar 8, 2005
sm
Try talking to the thing he rides around on - that worked for me there, and later on when I had to interact with him.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

AirRaid posted:

Source on that?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/548570/announcements/detail/1613891161342786092

quote:

Outside of squashing bugs, the team is also working on adding new features to the game. We’ve seen the feedback that you want to be able to revisit some of the bandit camps that you’ve previously cleared. We love that feedback! In the near future, select bandit camps that you’ve cleared are going to be repopulated at an even higher difficulty with a reward incentive. The best part? The challenge is ongoing, so you can test your skills as you attempt to clear the outposts again and again, with the outposts getting more difficult each time. More details to come.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I did the preorder cult of the death God mission and is there a way to change out of Nick Raines' tacky-rear end gear?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Untrustable posted:

So I did the preorder cult of the death God mission and is there a way to change out of Nick Raines' tacky-rear end gear?

Once you finish Death God there's an option setting under General Settings that lets you toggle them, but it's really buggy right now. (it will switch back to the Raine armor every time you get into a vehicle). The devs said they are fixing it with the patch though.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 1, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Thanks, didn't even think to check there. No clue on when that patch will drop but glad they're listening to the bug reports.

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
Anyone know where i can get a copy of rage on on pc ??

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Steam?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/9200/RAGE/

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Steam for a Steam copy. Other third party retailers will sell you a Bethesdanet key, only redeemable directly on their platform. You might get a discount on a third party site, it’s up to you if you’re happy with bethnet.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I got a free steam key with my preorder of Rage 2. It's all yours if you can wait til Wednesday.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Untrustable posted:

I got a free steam key with my preorder of Rage 2. It's all yours if you can wait til Wednesday.

You got a Rage 2 key when you preordered Rage 2? I’d hope so!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I'm really enjoying this game. It definitely improves as you unlock more abilities. The shooting feels really really good though. Like Doom if you didn't die so quickly.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

AirRaid posted:

You got a Rage 2 key when you preordered Rage 2? I’d hope so!

Ah nah I got a steam key for RAGE 1 with my preorder that I was gonna give to the person upthread.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Speaking of Rage 1: what I really like about Rage 2 is that they managed to capture/recreate the way the mutants move. I still think that Rage 1 had some of the best gunplay and especially enemy behaviour in the history of FPS games, it all just got drowned in all the lovely stuff.

I enjoy the fact that Rage 2 kept the way the mutants swarm you, irregardless of what's in their way and where they have to jump/climb/whatever.

It's been a long time, but IIRC there is this one mission in Rage 1 where you have to defend SOMETHING for some time from mutants which rush at you from different directions, and seeing them climbing, jumping over railways, toppling over themselves if you hit them during their advance....it was a very, very cool moment.

I'd replay Rage 1 in a heartbeat if there would be a way to simply play the story missions, without having to deal with all the other stuff. The shooting in Rage 1 was awesome.

e: to explain it a bit more: I know there are a lot of games with swarming enemies, but the way the pulled it off in Rage 1 (and now also in Rage 2) is awesome, with the enemies navigating the scenery like they are parcour-pros.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Rage 2 made me miss the fact that in Rage 1 there was multiple ammo types that would sometimes changed how a gun worked in a significant way. I feel like they probably could have dropped the throwables in exchange for weird ammo and I would have liked it way more. The revolver could have been more interesting with other ammo types, like bullets that chain electricty to others shot by them, or concussive rounds that do a lot to the target shot with them and knock away nearby enemies.

The game feels like it needed more toys almost as much as it needed more things to kill and better difficulty, or more linear levels.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Drones are a complete waste, even fully upgraded, and literally aren’t worth the cost of materials compared to grenades and wingsticks

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Drones are a complete waste, even fully upgraded, and literally aren’t worth the cost of materials compared to grenades and wingsticks

I used the drones to get that one achievement. And then dropped them hard, they're pretty awful.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

tuo posted:

Speaking of Rage 1: what I really like about Rage 2 is that they managed to capture/recreate the way the mutants move. I still think that Rage 1 had some of the best gunplay and especially enemy behaviour in the history of FPS games, it all just got drowned in all the lovely stuff.

I enjoy the fact that Rage 2 kept the way the mutants swarm you, irregardless of what's in their way and where they have to jump/climb/whatever.

It's been a long time, but IIRC there is this one mission in Rage 1 where you have to defend SOMETHING for some time from mutants which rush at you from different directions, and seeing them climbing, jumping over railways, toppling over themselves if you hit them during their advance....it was a very, very cool moment.

I'd replay Rage 1 in a heartbeat if there would be a way to simply play the story missions, without having to deal with all the other stuff. The shooting in Rage 1 was awesome.

e: to explain it a bit more: I know there are a lot of games with swarming enemies, but the way the pulled it off in Rage 1 (and now also in Rage 2) is awesome, with the enemies navigating the scenery like they are parcour-pros.

I had plenty of pathfinding issues, almost in every base that was even a tiny bit more complex. AI didn't really shine in my playthrough and was mostly cowardly hiding or doing default stupid poo poo. Maybe its a difficulty thing though, which would be nice since doing difficulty that way instead of only HP/dmg sliders is pretty good.

patchday

quote:

Audio fixes, such as NPC audio dips
Menu optimizations (reduction in latency)
Several crash fixes
Racing bug issues, including finishing in 1st place but receiving 2nd place (how rude!)
Reducing the amount of Wasteland Wizard locations (from 15 to 3!)
A dialog prompt issue with Kvasir
Mouse acceleration/smoothing options
New AMD sharpness algorithm for all platforms (to address “blurry” complaints)
Nicholas Raine armor fix

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Game is getting a patch tomorrow (Tuesday) with bug fixes and the ability to replay enemy camps. There's also a two part event going to unlock a playable mech next month.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I wonder if it'll boot for me finally
I probably will wait for a sale to find out but I'm still interested because I am one of the mutants that loved Mad Max

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I wonder if it'll boot for me finally
I probably will wait for a sale to find out but I'm still interested because I am one of the mutants that loved Mad Max

Mad Max was awesome though. Had its flaws, the world was kinda empty, specially after you cleared the convoys and such, but the game was solid and the environments were pretty rad in a lot of places.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I enjoy RAGE 2 specifically because of the Mad Max pedigree. Both are pretty dumb games that are very satisfying to play, for me.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Agree. Not all games need to be highbrow.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Patch is out: https://bethesda.net/en/article/yAdQ6Ec3A3MChpUV0tdo3/rage-2-update-1-patch-notes

quote:

FEATURES AND IMPROVEMENTS

Bandit Camps are now replayable! Open your map and select any previously cleared bandit camp to replay them as much as you'd like -- and get rewarded.
New Wasteland Wizard Cheat Codes: Low Gravity, Bloody Mess, Phoenix Rejector Seat, Klegg Support. Activate the new cheats in the ‘settings’ menu.
New Voice Packs added! Ozzy Man Reviews "You Call That a Wingstick?" and German “TV Fatal”. Activate the new voice packs in the ‘settings’ menu.
Wasteland Wizard now only travels to 3 different locations instead of 15.
Menu optimization improved to address slowdown issues.
Crate Improvements! Improved melee hit detection and increased visibility at night.
Improved sharpness on high-res screens to reduce “blurriness”.
Adjusted the day/night cycle. (Previously, the day time moved too slow, night time lasted too long).
Digital Deluxe Upgrade now available in the in-game Store.
Bethesda.net Friend Leaderboards now available for Mutant Bash TV.
Fixed issue where linked Bethesda.net accounts appear as unlinked after re-establishing network connection.

More in the link.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If that patch means “you can now break boxes with melee without having to crouch”... was it an intentional design decision to not have it work that way originally that they’ve walked back?

Or was it just a ridiculous sloppy mistake they made and didn’t realize until the game shipped?

Also 15 locations!!! No wonder I never saw the wizard!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Bust Rodd posted:

If that patch means “you can now break boxes with melee without having to crouch”... was it an intentional design decision to not have it work that way originally that they’ve walked back?

Or was it just a ridiculous sloppy mistake they made and didn’t realize until the game shipped?

Also 15 locations!!! No wonder I never saw the wizard!

Yeah, crate melee distance being so close that they clip through you is dumb.

Also, have they removed having to press the "Use" key to pickup ammo and other crafting/consumable objects in a loving FPS yet? Because that's probably the single biggest detriment to the game for me. It totally destroys the rhythm and flow of everything.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 19, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Picked this up on sale and I'm enjoying it for what it is--a generic open world FPS with great combat. Best of all, its story is mostly ignoble unlike Far Cry's Chris Angel's Mind Freaks.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm replaying this on Nightmare and it just drives home how poorly thought out the unlock system is. :words: ahead
Having to use feltrite to unlock weapon upgrade trees, which then you have to use another upgrade currency on is so stupid. The entire Projects system is also terrible - unlocking Marshall's is straightforward enough, but Loosum and Kvasir's starting missions are drawn out and take you half-way across the map, so by the time you unlock them there's a good chance you'll have done half of the game's side-missions where those unlocks would've been useful, by which point you'll be so overpowered you won't care. A couple of them should straight up be unlocked from the beginning and them having to be purchased is run of the mill 2019 video game padding - why do I need to unlock the abilities to reload while running, display arc for grenades and crosshairs for wingsticks (which are useless despite their constant presence in the franchise's marketing) in a game like this? Following the same thought, why is the radar for collectibles also an unlock? No one is playing this type of game to meander around in an abandoned outpost searching for crates with currency to make your character Not Lame. Same for things like convoys which should be marked automatically on the map once you find them instead of being yet another ability.
The pistol also shouldn't exist and you should already start with shatter, the assault rifle, shotgun and rocket launcher even if it'd go against the game's (and really, current trends) free-form "do whatever" design decision which ends up working against it because the beginning on harder difficulties is brutal, and after that initial point where you have those basic weapons and abilities it's a breeze since the majority of the missions only account for you having the rifle, shotgun and overcharge in terms of difficulty. The rest of the powers and weapons are so-so: the ground slam power is Good, the difficulty for getting the barrier is so out of wack that by the time you can have it you won't need it. The heat chaingun thing that even has its own side-quest associated to it is neat and worth getting, but the fire revolver and grav-dart are fun novelties that you'll only use a handful of times then forget about, the rifle would be good if it weren't so far away in the map that by the time you get it you won't need it, and that ability to destroy armor came with it and were part of the regular fire function instead of being a late unlockable that you have to charge.

If they really wanted they could fix some of this eg. make projects unlock right once you talk to Kvasir after the skirmish right before meeting him, same for Loosum, straight up remove feltrite requirements for weapons, but I doubt they'll do anything. If they wanted to go the extra mile they could add a Souls-style NG+ that starts you out with everything but makes enemies harder in terms of remixing types and quantities. And removes the tutorial rooms every time you pick up a weapon or get a new power. But at best they'll add a standard NG+ if they do.
It's a shame since actually playing the game is for the most part Fun™*, but everything related to the UI or progression (those unskippable screens each time you complete a location) is a disaster and that's without getting how there's a semi-consistent chance of getting the game to crash in the menus, especially on console where you'll be forced to quickly scroll through tabs since there isn't a mouse pointer.

* I like the sound effects when walking/driving and generally moving around, Avalanche's games (Mad Max, Just Cause 4) are surprisingly decent at this even with all their flaws.

GUI fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 29, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did they patch this game after launch to make it more chaotic? Because I watched the GB quicklook at the world looked really dead but now that I'm playing it I can't go ten seconds without some sort of banditry, oftentimes it's even internecine warfare. It's meaningless, of course, because this is an entirely non-reactive open world, but entertaining. I'm still enjoying this game on the sole basis of its combat mechanics (thanks id) but I looked it up and the number of story missions is unforgivably low. Especially considering none of the side quests seem to be authored, they're just about clearing out raider camps as far as I can tell.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Mordja posted:

Did they patch this game after launch to make it more chaotic? Because I watched the GB quicklook at the world looked really dead but now that I'm playing it I can't go ten seconds without some sort of banditry, oftentimes it's even internecine warfare. It's meaningless, of course, because this is an entirely non-reactive open world, but entertaining. I'm still enjoying this game on the sole basis of its combat mechanics (thanks id) but I looked it up and the number of story missions is unforgivably low. Especially considering none of the side quests seem to be authored, they're just about clearing out raider camps as far as I can tell.

Yeah I'm not sure if that was patched in or always existed.

New patch coming out today that adds skipping those lovely cutscenes & tutorials, NG+, new difficultly levels (which achievements), and a loving FLASHLIGHT.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I gave up on the game really fast. I didn't think there was a lack of things to shoot in the world but the world itself was very dull. Generic bandits spawning here and there and clearing out "desolate place with generic bandits" over and over didn't cut it for me. The game needed a better story and missions to make all that world traversing interesting

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Counterpoint: who cares about a slightly lackluster game world when you are ejecting out of a moving vehicle at 60MPH, firing a rocket launcher at some dudes then Slam-landing into another bunch of dudes and killing everyone?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
But I've played games that do that before. Almost any open world action game lets you do that. So I guess I just got bored

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Rage 2 does the grindcore combat very well but it literally doesn’t bring anything new to the table whatsoever. I’ll pick it up for $15-20 in a few months and love it again, but I’m not in a rush.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

AirRaid posted:

Counterpoint: who cares about a slightly lackluster game world when you are ejecting out of a moving vehicle at 60MPH, firing a rocket launcher at some dudes then Slam-landing into another bunch of dudes and killing everyone?

Speaking of ejecting, I can never seem to fire that off consistently. It's a total crapshoot whether pressing "E" ejects or slowly dismounts out of the vehicle.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AirRaid posted:

Yeah, at the end of the day I'm the type of guy for whom combat takes precedence over all else and that's kept me going despite the lackluster everything else. Game looks nice though!

Anti-Hero posted:

Speaking of ejecting, I can never seem to fire that off consistently. It's a total crapshoot whether pressing "E" ejects or slowly dismounts out of the vehicle.
You have to be moving fast enough but yeah it's kinda fiddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Game got another update today.
https://bethesda.net/en/article/4RaQB7ylQPgNXNycKtOGGE/rage-2-update-2-and-new-roadmap

Video games are saved.