Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

haldolium posted:

I don't think this will have much in common with the first game except for the name. It's Bethesda having no clue what to do with their bought up license rights from id and others.

This will be quite probably DOOM meets Mad Max.

Bingo

I think this game will be very good and have a long tail end as far as sales go. But it won't be until Rage 3 that Bethesda gets a real payoff, kind of like with Doom Eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hector Delgado posted:

Didn't RAGE 1 have you go though the same levels but in reverse, like halfway into the game?

I just 100%'ed the game last fall and I've already forgotten if this is actually the case. I don't...think so? Maybe my brain's shut it all out. I think there were points where you'd backtrack through a level/"dungeon" upon completion, kind of like Skyrim without the convenient and contrived way that every dungeon looped back around to the entrance.

I actually ended up enjoying Rage for the ~$4.99 I spent on it (and DLC) during a sale, but I definitely agree with the presence of the driving segments. The irony is that the "gunfeel" and combat felt really tangible and satisfying, but the cars mostly operated like they do in Borderlands (unpleasantly weightless). If the vehicle segments had possessed that hefty, crunchy feel like in, say, Mad Max (2015) I'd probably have a completely different opinion about it. I seriously hate vehicles in FPS games more often than not, primarily because for various reasons developers insist on making them handle, roll, and flop around like they're plastic Tupperware containers.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Hector Delgado posted:

Didn't RAGE 1 have you go though the same levels but in reverse, like halfway into the game?

That was Devil May Cry 4.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I just 100%'ed the game last fall and I've already forgotten if this is actually the case. I don't...think so? Maybe my brain's shut it all out. I think there were points where you'd backtrack through a level/"dungeon" upon completion, kind of like Skyrim without the convenient and contrived way that every dungeon looped back around to the entrance.
It's not required to beat the game, but RAGE starts offering side missions that are the often the main mission levels run in reverse. If the level allows it, sometimes it is just revisiting a main mission level with a slightly different path through. Trying to make the most of their assets I guess, at least it isn't forced.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Rebel Blob posted:

It's not required to beat the game, but RAGE starts offering side missions that are the often the main mission levels run in reverse. If the level allows it, sometimes it is just revisiting a main mission level with a slightly different path through. Trying to make the most of their assets I guess, at least it isn't forced.

The most obvious of this is the Dead City - a neat area in and of itself that you dont spend nearly enough time in. But at some point after you meet The Resistance you get sent on a mission that essentially has you do the same level backwards to get into n are that was previously inaccessible. Beating it even gets you the achievement 'ytiC daeD' or something like that so they were fully aware of the BS they were pulling.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I think most of id games were basically about Carmacks tech visions and less about creative and/or outstanding gameplay. Sometimes it went well together though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

IDSoft dropped off after Quake 3 Arena. Doom, and Quake are their absolute best games.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

I said come in! posted:

IDSoft dropped off after Quake 3 Arena. Doom, and Quake are their absolute best games.

I feel like that's because they couldn't manage to translate their gameplay and feel into a modern fps- which I feel Doom 2016 achieved.

Still cautiously optimistic, all the trailers make it look really smooth to play, but I feel like the vehicle handling will make or break it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bust Rodd posted:

Which really backfired because then we got Bioshock: Infinite and after that everyone went “actually nobody in the industry know how to write, let’s go back to bullets”

Was a huge hit in every way, critically and sales, just saying. Hell I'd like some of that Bioshock money. Also Iiked the game, better than the prior ones. I should get paid to defend these hit games drat it.

I also liked Rage.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

haldolium posted:

I think most of id games were basically about Carmacks tech visions and less about creative and/or outstanding gameplay. Sometimes it went well together though.
Just about every bad game design decision was Carmack's doing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/RAGEgame/status/1123615561462632449

???!!?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

PC in a Dreamcast case:

https://twitter.com/RAGEgame/status/1123625984471830530

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yes, because when I think of the 90s, I think, "Dreamcast."

Also I try not to think of the 90s.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dreamcast came out in the late half of 1999, it's barely a relic of the 90s. I wonder what the system specs of this custom PC even are. Cooler would have been a top of the line gaming PC in a PC case from 1995.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I thought Rage 1 was a pretty fun game... when I didn't have to do dumb minigames or drive a car.

If only they had concentrated on making the good fun shooty parts bigger and better it could have been a classic but alas, it was not to be.

Oh and also make a ending worth my time.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
lmbo the marketing on this game is really something else

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice to see respects paid to the mighty Dreamcast. I have mine hooked up, it's still thinking after all these years. Best collection of fighting games ever assembled. Well other than an arcade. It did have Quake 3 on it, and I think Ivy from SoulCalibur would make a strong ally to the DoomSlayerGuy, or Detective John Rage.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
RAGE 2 should have a contest where the grand prize is to go down in a sewer and shoot lasers at actors who are dressed as savages and idiot-mutants while Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" blasts on speakers hidden throughout the arena. Follow-up prize is that Magnus Nedfors shaves the sides of your head and dyes your remaining hair pink and then you get to eat at Red Lobster with the game's writers while Prodigy's "Firestarter" plays on an Extra Bass CD Player somewhere in the establishment.

EDIT: Third-place "conciliatory" prize is that you get a piece of Bethesda RAGE 1 merchandise autographed by John Goodman but he signs it "Dan Hagar"

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 2, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'd settle for John Goodman to return but be General Knoxx.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

RAGE 2 should have a contest where the grand prize is to go down in a sewer and shoot lasers at actors who are dressed as savages and idiot-mutants while Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" blasts on speakers hidden throughout the arena. Follow-up prize is that Magnus Nedfors shaves the sides of your head and dyes your remaining hair pink and then you get to eat at Red Lobster with the game's writers while Prodigy's "Firestarter" plays on an Extra Bass CD Player somewhere in the establishment.

EDIT: Third-place "conciliatory" prize is that you get a piece of Bethesda RAGE 1 merchandise autographed by John Goodman but he signs it "Dan Hagar"

That would be an honor. I'd also like the Wonder Years theme song by Joe Cocker to be in the game somewhere personally. My fav Prodigy track was Breathe, so I'd appreciate that in there.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Grandprize winner should be that Tim Willets gets your name tattooed onto his ballsack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With these contests, I always assume the prizes just go to a manager at the game studio who then gives it to their kid.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

RAGE 2 should have a contest where the grand prize is to go down in a sewer...Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" blasts on speakers hidden throughout the arena

Not Firestarter? :wtc:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Not Firestarter? :wtc:

I probably spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out if "Firestarter" should be Grand Prize or "Smack My Bitch Up". I really prayed on it and that's what I ended up with; I feel like I could eat more seafood to the tune of "Firestarter".

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Talks about events to unlock new poo poo and a few more cheats revealed including Super Wingstick that just keeps bouncing off of enemies possibly forever.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Nice! I really like the community goals and weekend xp boost type stuff they're talking about doing for a single player game, I bet we'll see that in Doom Eternal as well.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I can't wait to play this game and have it be awesome and tell people and nobody care or play it until 6 years later when it's on sale for £5 and then all the friends I told to play it tell me to get it and a thousand YouTube videos spring up talking about this "flawed gem of a game that just remembers to be fun above everything else"

The cycle will repeat itself with all games I love

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

poo poo, it's shaping up like this is gonna be a fun game to just mess around in.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
PSA: OVERDRIVE IS NOT SOMETHING TO SIT ON. Without upgrades so long as you play well you get OVERDRIVE charge fast. Upgraded you could even just live in OVERDRIVE mode even without a cheat to do so.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shotgun spread being really tight using ADS is extremely my poo poo, kind of wish it was that accurate all the time but you can't have everything

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just how much DOOM DNA does this game have?
I mean I'd buy a level pack for DOOM 2016, so the more the better as far as I'm concerned.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hopefully RAGE 2 has equally as good combat mechanics, but still has an identity of its own as well.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean I'd buy a level pack for DOOM 2016, so the more the better as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone who's gotten to preview it compares it directly to Doom 2016, ID did a lot of oversight and the corridor run and gun "push" design that made that game tick are supposedly on full display here.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I don't think the combat is gonna be DOOM tier but everything we've seen of it makes it look very fast and violent. My biggest concern is that the enemies won't be that interesting, most of them seem pretty standard.

And if previews make the game look super easy, that's because they're all being played on lowest difficulty. The final game will probably have proper ULTRA-VIOLENCE and NIGHTMARE modes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It can't be precisely like it due to enemies shooting bullets at you instead of chucking projectiles, but the dash move seems designed around the idea of dodging gunfire. The ai design is similarly rewarding as dooms, enemies are pinatas that the more you push back against the better you play. We'll see, I do have high hopes for it!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Your abilities, besides finding enough feltrite, upgrade chests and the occasional story progression thing, is gonna mostly come from arcs you can raid for guns and other things. Oh you can also melee enemies for ammo so its using what worked in 2016 almost down to a T except it also wants to be shiny, a little bit more video gamey and Doom guy/gal speaks here.

Ultimately there's gonna be similarities you likely can't ignore. DOOM 2016 was a ground breaking success and RAGE 1 wasn't. How samey it feels is dependent on you, the player, and how problematic a shooter with sick guns, freaks and now super powers is at the end of the day.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 5, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Donovan Trip posted:

It can't be precisely like it due to enemies shooting bullets at you instead of chucking projectiles, but the dash move seems designed around the idea of dodging gunfire. The ai design is similarly rewarding as dooms, enemies are pinatas that the more you push back against the better you play. We'll see, I do have high hopes for it!

Actuallty it looks like all of the enemies' bullets are projectiles rather than hitscan.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i was looking at the deluxe edition on gmg and thought "huh, no soundtrack in a deluxe edition, that's unusual" but then realized i don't even know who's doing it, and can't find any info about it.

maybe its just licensed party rock tracks, with an original single by andrew w.k. serving as the menu music

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Lone Badger posted:

Doom Eternal later this year (they say it's the year of Doom!) will be what you need. Hopefully Rage 2 is fun, but I don't think comparing it to the sublime Doom will do it too many favors. It looks like Far Cry with super powers, the enemies look dumb as rocks. And looks like you wander around taking down bases that may well feel copy and paste. Hopefully it pulls off a fun feel though, just it's going for very different things than Doom. And it is primarily by another developer.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Shotgun spread being really tight using ADS is extremely my poo poo, kind of wish it was that accurate all the time but you can't have everything

Agreed there, another thing that's not very Doom about the game.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the nucas posted:

i was looking at the deluxe edition on gmg and thought "huh, no soundtrack in a deluxe edition, that's unusual" but then realized i don't even know who's doing it, and can't find any info about it.

maybe its just licensed party rock tracks, with an original single by andrew w.k. serving as the menu music endlessly looping soundtrack for the entire game