Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
K-ON is good, and _____ is the best
This poll is closed.
Yui! 22 21.78%
mio 19 18.81%
ritsu 10 9.90%
Mugi 21 20.79%
Azusa 9 8.91%
Ui 5 4.95%
Jun 2 1.98%
Nodoka 6 5.94%
Sawako 7 6.93%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tomorrow, April 3rd 2019, is the 10 year anniversary of my favourite anime of all time. I love k-on and it's time for us to come together and celebrate the pinnacle of the slice of life genre.

Trying to write about k-on without saying "it's an adaption of a manga time kirara 4-koma" is tricky because that is what it is, but back in 2009 that wasn't a description of at least one anime a season. It's animated by kyoani and kinda started a style they used for a few subsequent shows. I feel like k-on was important for the evolution of the slice of life genre over the last decade and still holds up well today. It spawned games, countless CDs, a movie, it was huge. It's not just a show where nothing happens, characters develop and grow over the course of 37 episodes + movie that we're going to collectively re-experience.

For those of you who want the premise

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's an easy going slice of life show about a bunch of highschoolers who form a band, only they spend most of their time eating cake

ocassionally, they do gigs

So how this'll work is that to avoid anime burn out we're going to watch 2 episodes twice per week - this will be at midnight GMT (7PM EST) on Saturday night (Sunday morning) and Wednesday night (Thursday morning). We're starting this this weekend! I hope that makes sense.

Although there's no real spoilers in K-ON I'd appreciate the usual simulwatch rules of not talking about what we haven't seen yet, so that people who are experiencing this for the first time can react organically.

More stuff will be added to the op later

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

jun suzuki is the best character

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nodoka is the best because Yui wouldn't be alive without her.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Azusa is the best character

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Shoutouts to Jun

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've lost interest in getting to k-on, but best wishes to the simulwatch revival. :)

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 2, 2019

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Poor Sawako

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Sweet christ it's been 10 years?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQYI67E7sI

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm so proud of you

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

One day I'll get all the full combos so I can unlock a new room item or whatever

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I played that game way too much, to the dismay of the chat thread that year.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i've never watched k-on

so i'll try and watch k-on

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's pretty good. Second season is way better, but the first is no slouch.

Might try to keep up with this since it's been a few years and it's even on vrv.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh I was just planning on rewatching this myself. I'll probably watch more on my own time than in here, but I'll probably at least pop into the thread now and then!

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
For the pedantic amongst us, the time is midnight GMT (7PM EST) on Saturday and midnight GMT (7PM EST) on Wednesday, correct?

Sorry, I spent way too many years writing software specs. Now any hint of vagueness bugs the hell out of me. For K-On, I might even join in a group activity for a change.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Screw it. If it's gonna be 2 episodes a week, that seems manageable for me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Screw it. If it's gonna be 2 episodes a week, that seems manageable for me.

4, 2 per day

2 saturday, 2 Wednesday
37 episodes and a movue

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, still doable.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I just finished up watching this show for the first time a couple weeks ago so this thread will be nice. I'll mostly be reading what everybody else has to say but I'll jump in for particular favorite episodes

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's me. I'm the Nodoka-liker.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Beato Believer posted:

For the pedantic amongst us, the time is midnight GMT (7PM EST) on Saturday and midnight GMT (7PM EST) on Wednesday, correct?

Sorry, I spent way too many years writing software specs. Now any hint of vagueness bugs the hell out of me. For K-On, I might even join in a group activity for a change.

Actually, it's currently DST, therefore

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

its me the only ui fan in existence

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Polsy posted:

Actually, it's currently DST, therefore

I deserved that.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It's as much a reflection on me that it occurred to me to think that, but I've been looking at UK-US DST issues at work for the past 4 weeks.

So, uhh, how about that K-On.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

sawako shares a birthday with me.

i still voted for nodoka

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm in.

Ritsu is the best.

Expect My Mom posted:

i've never watched k-on

so i'll try and watch k-on

Hooray!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Mugi is a close second but Sawako is the best :black101:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beato Believer posted:

Yes, Americans will be watching at 7PM EST on Saturday and Wednesday. Sorry I have to sacrifice West coasters to my timezone.

We start this weekend with season 1 episodes 1 and 2

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

There's no Gita in the poll :milk:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain Cappy posted:

There's no Gita in the poll :milk:

And what about Ton-chan?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
K-on rocks! Literally.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Voted Mio, but only because she is the best.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mios the cutest

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ritsu like Keith Moon which counts for a lot but it's Yui for her entire arc in the series

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
mio is the best op

I'll definitely rewatch k-on, but I probably won't wake myself up in time to watch it at the same time as everyone else

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

everyone is good except Mio hth

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mio is the best character

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Namtab posted:

we're going to watch 2 episodes twice per week - this will be at midnight GMT (7PM EST) on Saturday night (Sunday morning) and Wednesday night (Thursday morning). We're starting this this weekend! I hope that makes sense.

I think Wolfram Alpha is telling me that midnight GMT is 8PM EST, at least for us yanks. Daylight savings time is some sort of foul magick and I have no idea how it varies from country to country, I just trust my devices to auto update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Midnight GMT is 8PM EDT, but the UK is in BST right now and I imagine Namtab just meant 'UK time'. It'll be 7pm Eastern time.