Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I suspect he will still be Prime Minister in a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the old autocrat has tasted power again

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Malaysian PM has Resigned. Government has capitulated.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmfao eat poo poo Mahatir.

Way too loving quick. Despite being 94 years old every single political party from both sides are asking him to be PM again. I hate my country's politics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp good job you dumbfucks. Umnos back.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Recently a group of Filipino Anarchists got together and organised a group called Bandilangitimph. Black Flag in Tagalog. For a new group they've hit the ground running, they've producing and digitising dozens of books, and commentaries on the region and have established working relations with other groups including in Malaysia.

Most of their English language content is being hosted on libcom.org https://libcom.org/tags/philippines
https://libcom.org/blog/bandilangitimph

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
First two cases of coronavirus confirmed in Indonesia today, be curious to see if this stops the government from spending millions of dollars on influencers to promote tourism and if they start actively trying to find cases instead (around 333 tests conducted so far for 270 million people). This one only got found because a Japanese person living in Malaysia got detected after he returned there, and told the people in Indonesia he'd been in contact with, who then told authorities. One of the infected people began to have a cough on the 16th, went to see a doctor then went home, and didn't end up in hospital until 10 days after.

https://coconuts.co/jakarta/news/fi...ealth-minister/

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...dName=worldNews

Looks like another country is going into lockdown.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Report from Singapore, after several weeks of panic buying and hiding inside, Singapore has realised it’s actually doing quite well compared to the rest of the world and everyone’s back outside en masse. Albeit avoiding touching each other.

Whether they’ve swung too far back and this’ll cause the virus to spread more easily, time will tell.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
There was a report yesterday saying that Singapore offered to send some sort of medical equipment aid to Indonesia in February and Indonesia refused, I guess the government here was still in denial at that point. There aren't even that many cases here in Indonesia yet due to lack of testing (just over 1000 tests done) but there are already reports of them having to fit 6 people in a 3 x 4 isolation room, with some of them only having wheelchairs, and others sleeping on the floor. I have to repatriate back to Australia next week, leaving behind my partner and her sick parents and I am very worried about what will happen to them if they get infected.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you take a look at the WHO GIS datagrid for reporting of incidents by country, you can see real clearly which countries are making a serious effort and which ones are not.

Thailand, for example, doesn't even report on like half the days since the first report.

Suddenly a couple of days ago they're like oh we have 30 new cases! Time to go into lockdown and take this seriously!

Meanwhile there are probably a thousand cases they haven't even bothered to test, if not many more than that. It's a very head in the sand country, to be fair, but given the amount of contact it has with Japan, Korea and China, not to mention Europe and the rest of the world, I'm sure there's much more going on there than they have admitted.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 18, 2020

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Some of the incompetency and trying to put the (now mostly non-existent) tourist dollar first is infuriating. Indonesia not spending any money on preparing back in February, and choosing to spend money on an influencer campaign to try and promote tourism looked ridiculous at the time, and 19 deaths later it looks even worse. The actual people themselves aren't helping at all either, schools got closed in Jakarta, some people got to work from home, and universities went to online study, so some people just decided to go on holiday or return to their home town, potentially spreading the virus to places with worse health facilities. Maybe this is just what happens when people die young from dengue fever or traffic accidents all the time, some people just get immune to caring about ways of preventing people dying.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Congratulations to Thailand on being at the front of the short bus. Good lord, the GMSR is going to be hosed.

Except Laos, of course, where COVID-19 inexplicably slows down, stops working and goes dormant.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is the most australian thing i've ever read

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/this-is-my-beach-fence-doesn-t-deter-sydney-swimmers-20200325-p54dul.html

quote:

The photographer said a few other beachgoers joined in, saying that the government was overreaching. "It wasn't very pleasant," he said.

"The whole gist of it was that it was his beach and he can do what he wants and that the problem was elsewhere, in south-east Asia."

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Without even clicking, this is going to be the Bondi thing, isn't it? The Betoota Advocate has been on about it for days.

EDIT: Clicked, not the Bondi thing, heh.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just got word from my relatives in Vietnam that there's only apparently 100something cases of coronavirus in the entire country! Everyone's still going to work as usual, it's just the kids staying home. What on earth is going on? Is it lack of testing, government denial, or are they just inexplicably extremely good at this?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

They closed down the border with China very early on and have been good about contact tracing.

My family in Bien Hoa decided that since the kids have been home since Tet and are young they can go to market to pick up food instead :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

They closed down the border with China very early on and have been good about contact tracing.

My family in Bien Hoa decided that since the kids have been home since Tet and are young they can go to market to pick up food instead :v:

Better than letting grandma do it!!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Absent some weird seasonal, demographic or environmental factors, Vietnam should end up getting this as bad as anyone, but they are a more controlled society than everyone else in the GMSR, so I could see them holding out for longer. You're hearing the same story from every Mekong country except (now) Thailand. We're special, we've done a very good job, our diet stops it, we wear masks unlike the Europeans who are all dying from it, etc. I haven't checked today, but as of a couple days ago, Laos and Myanmar were still reporting 2 cases and Cambodia was reporting like 100. It's a joke. A minimum of 60,000 regional migrant workers have returned home to neighboring countries from Thailand and that include Vietnam.

Either they're susceptible or not. If they are and we don't science the poo poo out of this first, it's gonna rip through eventually.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 29, 2020

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A friend of a friend was visiting Vietnam when this started to be taken seriously. He and most tourists and visitors were encouraged to get early flights out of the country. Unfortunately for him one of the passengers on the outbound flight tested positive, so the whole lot where taken to a military base and isolated and tested multiple times, with those testing negative being filtered out in small numbers.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They definitely have been more aggressive. Early on, an Asiana flight bound for Vietnam was ordered, mid-flight, to land at a military base for inspections. It turned around and told Vietnam to gently caress off, but VN is definitely taking this more seriously than the other Mekong countries. Their problem is, it's still a porous developing country with a large migrant labor population. It wont be foreigners who vector it in, it'll be Vietnamese.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Indonesia currently has the problem where lots of universities went to online study, some offices started working from home, so a lot of people decided they'd like to leave Jakarta and go chill with their family in their hometown before the government puts a ban on Eid al Fitr travel. I'm still not even sure what the government's approach is, governor's want lockdowns and seem to want to actually do things but the central government is still seemingly doing as little testing as possible, and is still adopting the Indonesian approach of needing to have 800 meetings about things before making a decision. Bali still doesn't have anywhere to analyse test samples on the island, very few ICU beds, a lack of PPE and they're still reporting fewer than 10 cases there. They do have confirmed positive cases in almost every province by now though, including West Papua where the health facilities are not even close to the standard of facilities in Jakarta.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/dlippman/status/1245151162669699073?s=21

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Jokowi might just be the worst leader in the world at handling this, even worse than Trump. You would think banning the Mudik tradition that sees 20 million people traveling to their hometowns would be a no-brainer but he can't even do that.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news...obox=1585877785

quote:

Annually, some 20 million people from Greater Jakarta travel to their hometowns to celebrate Idul Fitri in a tradition called mudik (exodus). The tradition, public health experts say, could lead to massive COVID-19 contagion on Java, an island of 141 million people, where many regions have far worse healthcare systems than Jakarta.

“[The President] underlines that there is no official ban on people going on the mudik during the 2020 Idul Fitri holiday period. The travelers, however, must self-isolate for 14 days, will be given ‘people under observation’ [ODP] status, as per the World Health Organization health protocol, and will be monitored by the respective local administration,” presidential spokesman Fadjroel Rachman said in a statement on Thursday, shortly after a speech by the President on the matter.

Self isolation doesn't mean anything if people are getting stuck in traffic on the road for 20+hours, interacting with all the road side sellers on the way, then getting home and potentially infecting every single relative in the family.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I see Duterte isn't letting a little pandemic get in the way of giving himself even more sweeping power.

http://libcom.org/blog/anarchist-opposition-anti-terror-act-terrorism-state-04062020

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
He saw Hun Sen and said, "Hold my Red Horse."

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
This thread's pretty dead but Indonesia just legalised a job creation bill that is so bad I have to post about it. It's meant to ease business in the country so it was always going to be bad, but people have been protesting non-stop and the government just ignored all that. Anyway, here's some highlights -

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news..._medium=android

quote:

The omnibus bill on job creation significantly relaxes environmental standards for business activities that require an environmental impact analysis (Amdal).

Also, environmental experts are no longer involved in the environmental impact analysis. Which.. presumably means no business activities will ever have a negative impact on the environment because there will be nobody there to actually analyse it?

quote:

A number of requirements and licenses required to build buildings are slated to be scrapped in the omnibus bill.

Licenses for safety, structural requirements, protection against fire and lightning strikes, as well as requirements for health, air, lighting, sanitation, building materials, building comfort, evacuation access and accessibility for disabled visitors are also set to be revoked.

The prevailing Article 93 that stipulates workers’ rights for paid leave under certain circumstances has been deleted from the omnibus bill. The circumstances currently covered include paid leave of three days when workers get married, two days when their children are circumcised or baptized or get married, or when their wives are in labor or undergoing an abortion.

The omnibus bill revokes Article 159 that allows workers to file a lawsuit in an industrial relations court or agency if they want to challenge the reasoning behind the decision to lay them off.

There's another section in there about foreign workers being able to work in start-ups now without needing permits which I personally find very funny. My partner's former boss is an insanely wealthy woman, wife of a former minister and she has the ability to just call up government officials to make things happen. She also loves bringing in Chinese workers to work at her startup which is supposed to be a WhatsApp competitor, so I guess it's a good law for her.

Everybody's been hosed by the government's sheer incompetency when it comes to handling the Covid-19 situation, and now every worker is being double hosed by a bunch of lazy fuckers in parliament that have no idea what working is actually like.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1356018834927456256?s=19

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Can't believe the face eating panther ate my face.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sure what the heck

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It feels dumb to say this but I hope the military are practicing and encouraging good social distancing and mask usage during their coup or there could be a huge spread afterwards

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

apparently the military says it's going to be in charge for a year

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1356066257745965056

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Doctor Teeth posted:

apparently the military says it's going to be in charge for a year

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1356066257745965056

Sure, sure, and I am the Czar of All The Russias.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I find it mildly interesting that all across the world from Bolivia to the US to Myanmar authoritarians are justifying their coups with claims of election fraud. They're poisoning the well for anyone that might have legitimate objections.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that guy who swam to see her did that twelve years ago. time flies

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 1, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What I want to know is, why don't more militaries run TV stations?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Was there ever any actual functional difference between these last few years and military running things before/now for the average Myanmar citizen? There were elections, sure, but any other rights or freedoms restored that are now possibly taken away? Obviously in regards to ethnic/religious minorities there didn't seem to be much of a change in the eternal war waged by the state on them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Sure, sure, and I am the Czar of All The Russias.

that might make you the oldest goon, then

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Going after Aung San Suu Kyi for illegally importing Walkie Talkies wasn't what I expected

https://twitter.com/Shoon_Naing/status/1356911967554822145?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Scylo posted:

Going after Aung San Suu Kyi for illegally importing Walkie Talkies wasn't what I expected

https://twitter.com/Shoon_Naing/status/1356911967554822145?s=20

Man, the Myanmar Customs Service does not gently caress around.