Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Shazam! is the seventh film in the DC Extended Universe. Directed by David F. Sandberg (Lights Out, Annabelle: Creation) [his only two feature-length films prior to this movie], the classic comic book story of Billy Batson's ability to turn into Earth's Mightiest Mortal, [NAME REDACTED], by saying the magic word "Shazam" stars Zachary Levi as [NAME REDACTED], Mark Strong as Doctor Sivana, and a bunch of kids playing Billy Batson and his foster siblings. Think Big, but with a cape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This looked bad but then the latest trailer was pretty fun so if it can be two hours of goofy poo poo I’ll be happy. Still not expecting great things though, especially from Strong’s villain who seems boring as hell

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was pretty alright, though trying a bit too hard to ape Homecoming I think.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I found this pretty charming on the whole. It definitely has a very retro feel to it despite a contemporary setting. All the foster family stuff plays really well and gives it a real heart you don't see in a lot of other superhero movies. I think one criticism I see that I feel is valid is that Levi plays Captain Marvel as younger than Billy Batson but on the whole he does a great job. The kid who plays Freddy is absolutely phenomenal and does a great job bridging Batson and Captain Marvel to the audience.

The hints at the larger DC universe were pretty well handled. It wasn't super clear to me if it was going to be set in a shared universe until one particular cameo as there were heavy references to the comic books.

I'm also really satisfied that we actually saw The full Marvel family at the end instead of just a tease. The demon CGI I found really good even though it feels different from typical CGI monsters. They felt intentionally power rangery that played well for me.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

This looked bad but then the latest trailer was pretty fun so if it can be two hours of goofy poo poo I’ll be happy. Still not expecting great things though, especially from Strong’s villain who seems boring as hell

Mark Strong seems like that kind of actor who could easily play very dull characters if mismanaged but has the potential to be really incredible if well directed and written. I'm hoping, but not expecting, this will be the latter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The villain was so by-the-numbers for the most part there was even a joke about it.

Definitely a lot of common problems from trying to ape the Marvelverse here, complete with a key villain being played mediocrely and teasing more interesting ones to set up the sequel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm :corsair: enough to remember the Saturday morning TV show and looking forward to taking my 8 year old son to see this over the weekend. Movie looks great and a nice change of pace from the more recent comic book stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Can someone who has seen this movie answer this question for me: does Superman make a cameo in the movie?

Please spoiler your reply. Thank you in advance.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Can someone who has seen this movie answer this question for me: does Superman make a cameo in the movie?

Please spoiler your reply. Thank you in advance.

Silently and only from the neck down to avoid bringing in Cavill. It is exactly as lame as it sounds.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

god drat it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Please put this in the OP.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pirate Jet posted:

Silently and only from the neck down to avoid bringing in Cavill. It is exactly as lame as it sounds.

that's some season 1 Supergirl right there

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Aces High posted:

that's some season 1 Supergirl right there
I liked that bit from TV SHOW
OHEY GREAT HERE COMES THAT HERO PERSON TO SAVE THE--- whelp they just up and joined the zombie mob great guys wave as they pass by I guess.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't seen Shazam yet, so I can't comment on how they portrayed Dr. Sivana. He's paint by numbers, but mostly because his character was the original numbers. He was the original mad doctor from where the archetype comes from. He even predates Lex Luthor.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i was genuinely surprised by the twist of billy turning all the kids into the marvel family, so good job DC on hiding that from all their publicity stuff

Sivana seemed to have his powers range from ineffective to destructive depending on what the plot demands. i did enjoy the villain's speech gag though. Almost all the cast did a great job although Levi's portrayal of immaturity gets too over the top sometimes.

agreed that the superman cameo is really loving bad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think there might have been a deal with Sivana that he's actually not much better at using his powers than Billy is, he just has a more clearly defined goal. Really coulda done a bit more with him, I think.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I heard there's a scene involving a strip club in the movie? I was planning to see this next week but the group I was going with would include a kid and his extremely conservative parents. Can someone give some context to the scene and whether it'll be ok to watch with said kid and more concerningly said parents?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I heard there's a scene involving a strip club in the movie? I was planning to see this next week but the group I was going with would include a kid and his extremely conservative parents. Can someone give some context to the scene and whether it'll be ok to watch with said kid and more concerningly said parents?

from the IMDb parents guide:

SHAZAM's age and power are utilized by the boys to go to a strip club, nothing is shown and the scene is played for laughs as he just gets food from there. Freddy asks SHAZAM if he "saw any boobies."

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Its storefront says "gentlemen's club" and for all intents and purpose if you don't know what that means you won't know, although cap marvel himself said something like "i needed a lot of cash" alluding to paying strippers. It's featured as a gag another time in the third act and there's a throwaway line by one of the kids suggesting he's not heterosexual.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of wish Sivana was more like his original comics version, smaller and more goblinish. Also a bit sillier.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So. I want to thank this film for finally, officially, definitively killing the hell out of Zack Snyder's vision of the DC Universe. :buddy:

Oh, it ended up being a group effort, of course. After all, Snyder had three whole lovely movies to make this franchise as hosed up and unsalvageable as he could, so it was never going to be an easy fix. However, thanks to the hard work and combined efforts of Jenkins' Wonder Woman, Wan's Aquaman, and now Sandberg's Shazam, we finally have the exciting and engaging cinematic universe that DC Comics deserves, instead of the pretentious garbage that Snyder left us with. Once or twice could be outliers or coincidences. But three whole movies that seem to do absolutely everything in their power to tear down as much of Snyder's visions as they could? The world has spoken, and the answer is ever so satisfying. :3:

It genuinely gives me so much joy that so many people are embracing the good and entertaining DCEU that films like Shazam are bringing to us, and that the disastrous efforts of MoS and BvS have slowly yet surely been cleansed from everyone's collective palettes. It makes me so darned happy that the only impact Snyder's pathetic legacy is going to leave is teaching filmmakers what not to do if they want to make a good film. Oh, sure, we'll always have grimdark drivel masquerading as profundity in media, but I take great pleasure in the fact that there'll be way less of that kinda shite in stuff that I wanna watch because Snyder's failures in that arena are just too recurrent for the business to ignore at this point, while the success of films that do the opposite of what he would do are equally hard to dismiss. :xd:

And when Snyder tries again in a couple of years to re-achieve relevancy, probably by whining some more about how people just aren't smart enough to appreciate his vision or by baiting more of his fans with false hopes, I can at least rest easy knowing that it won't effin' matter. It's done. The DCEU has been saved from him, as it should be. :haw:

So once again, thanks Shazam for being part of the team that did the dirty work of dragging Snyder's acerbic vision out the back and snapping its multifarious necks once and for all. :patriot:

RIP lovely DCEU, you'll never be missed! Hello, DCEU that everyone will actually like instead! :woop:

e: lmfao I guess Snyder is so toxic even here in CD that they had to quarantine him to his own little thread now. Hi Snyder thread! Good snipin' or whatever! Ya boy sux and now everyone knows it. Keep on keepin' on. :v:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BrianWilly posted:

So. I want to thank this film for finally, officially, definitively killing the hell out of Zack Snyder's vision of the DC Universe. :buddy:

Oh, it ended up being a group effort, of course. After all, Snyder had three whole lovely movies to make this franchise as hosed up and unsalvageable as he could, so it was never going to be an easy fix. However, thanks to the hard work and combined efforts of Jenkins' Wonder Woman, Wan's Aquaman, and now Sandberg's Shazam, we finally have the exciting and engaging cinematic universe that DC Comics deserves, instead of the pretentious garbage that Snyder left us with. Once or twice could be outliers or coincidences. But three whole movies that seem to do absolutely everything in their power to tear down as much of Snyder's visions as they could? The world has spoken, and the answer is ever so satisfying. :3:

It genuinely gives me so much joy that so many people are embracing the good and entertaining DCEU that films like Shazam are bringing to us, and that the disastrous efforts of MoS and BvS have slowly yet surely been cleansed from everyone's collective palettes. It makes me so darned happy that the only impact Snyder's pathetic legacy is going to leave is teaching filmmakers what not to do if they want to make a good film. Oh, sure, we'll always have grimdark drivel masquerading as profundity in media, but I take great pleasure in the fact that there'll be way less of that kinda shite in stuff that I wanna watch because Snyder's failures in that arena are just too recurrent for the business to ignore at this point, while the success of films that do the opposite of what he would do are equally hard to dismiss. :xd:

And when Snyder tries again in a couple of years to re-achieve relevancy, probably by whining some more about how people just aren't smart enough to appreciate his vision or by baiting more of his fans with false hopes, I can at least rest easy knowing that it won't effin' matter. It's done. The DCEU has been saved from him, as it should be. :haw:

So once again, thanks Shazam for being part of the team that did the dirty work of dragging Snyder's acerbic vision out the back and snapping its multifarious necks once and for all. :patriot:

RIP lovely DCEU, you'll never be missed! Hello, DCEU that everyone will actually like instead! :woop:

close this thread, it can't get any sadder than this

anyway, shazam wasn't great. it had some really good bits, such as the stuff where they're learning to use his powers and goofing off, but the rest of it was, like, a fan-friendly man of steel. like bumblebee to the transformers films. the villain was a joke, the demons were boring (you've got the seven deadly sins and they all look like grey monsters?), and the dialogue was riddled with so many cliches ("He doesn't have a social media profile, he's a ghost" -- seriously!) that it had to be intentional. i was honestly a bit let down after the trailers.

like, i compare it to bumblebee but that's unfair to bumblebee.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd be down for a sequel with the entire team of super-empowered teenagers vs the forces of an evil caterpillar. And Black Adam, who tries to act like the big brother to the whole lot.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

e: lmfao I guess Snyder is so toxic even here in CD that they had to quarantine him to his own little thread now. Hi Snyder thread! Good snipin' or whatever! Ya boy sux and now everyone knows it. Keep on keepin' on. :v:

You think Snyder chat is toxic but you came in here with a post exclusively about Snyder and didn't say poo poo about Shazam. Take it to the Snyder thread if you have an obsessive need to talk about the guy.

For actual Shazam content, I'll copy my post from after I saw the prerelease:

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Shazam was fun, but was chasing the Marvel vibe so much that the end credits were a sketchbook cartoon montage set to a Ramones song lol

The humor and family themes were well done. Some of the action could have been better, and the seven deadly sins were kind of generic. There was some good imagery especially early on but I feel like there was some missed potential, but there wasn't anything super stiff or awkward and it was overall pretty consistent. The acting from some of the foster siblings varied which I guess is to be expected. Freddy and Billy (more-so in adult form) played off each other incredibly well.

Definitely enjoyed and I think people will eat up the tone and (final battle spoiler) full color-coded Marvel family so I can't see it getting bad reviews. It checks the boxes for what a super hero movie is "supposed" to be.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Big yikes

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

:chloe:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I kinda figure that whole thing is sarcasm, but who the hell knows in this grim darkness of the immediate present.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
So how was Shazam, lmao.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So how was Shazam, lmao.

it was a fun romp but it's definitely not groundbreaking enough to destroy snyderverse

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I kinda figure that whole thing is sarcasm, but who the hell knows in this grim darkness of the immediate present.

BrianWilly is truly that pathetic, I guarantee you he meant every word of it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I sure did! If I leave nothing else whatsoever on this forum, let this be my ultimate message: zack snyder sucks. Glad he gone. :parrot:

Guy A. Person posted:

You think Snyder chat is toxic but you came in here with a post exclusively about Snyder and didn't say poo poo about Shazam. Take it to the Snyder thread if you have an obsessive need to talk about the guy.
hah haaha I think you guys are doing a fine job self-destructing over there all on your own.

As for Shazam, besides the fact that all the kids are great and that all the moments land really well and there's especially one moment that shows off Sandberg's horror roots loving fantastically, my one large negative takeaway is that I don't really like Zachary Levi as Shazam. And the main reason for that is because for me the gap between him and Asher Angel's character of Billy Batson is basically unbridgeable. We pretty much noticed it in the trailers and the film itself is a macroscopic recreation of the same: Billy and Shazam just aren't the same characters. They don't act the same, they don't sound the same, they don't really even care about the same things. The more I look at them the more I don't even think Levi looks like how Billy would look as an adult.

Moreover, Shazam would say things, and I would try to imagine the same dialogue coming out of Billy's mouth, and it just wouldn't fit. It got to a point where it really irritated me, because I was really invested in Billy Batson's storyline, and Billy Batson's storyline just...stops for a while for Shazam, a completely different character, to kinda act like a cartoon and mug for the camera for fifteen or twenty minutes. It was during these moments that I was like, ok, can we go back to seeing what Freddy and the others are doing now?

Still, I do appreciate the spirit of Levi's character, and whatever else might be said, it definitely gave a ton of unique personality to this film.

Anyway good job film for kicking the Snyderverse in its twitching corpse

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

I sure did! If I leave nothing else whatsoever on this forum, let this be my ultimate message: zack snyder sucks. Glad he gone. :parrot:

hah haaha I think you guys are doing a fine job self-destructing over there all on your own.

Anyway good job film for kicking the Snyderverse in its twitching corpse

Thanks for at least putting some on-topic content in between more of your creepy obsessive trolling

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sounds like some gripping poo poo, the kids remembered their lines.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BrianWilly posted:

Very rare for a poster to give me real life douche chills. Congrats

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone reacting negatively to BrianWilly’s post is prime ignore list material. I love how you all make yourself known basically immediately whenever someone speaks truth about Snyder. Your level of sensitivity when it comes to your terrible filmmaker waifu is getting ridiculous.

Anyway yeah I dug this movie a lot, the cast were great and the tone was perfect, very funny and likeable. Climax went on way too long through and the use of slo-mo was weird. Absolutely my favourite DC movie so far through given it didn’t poo poo itself in the third act like WW did

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sounds great! The movie was fine and had a good two acts out of three.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Everyone reacting negatively to BrianWilly’s post is prime ignore list material. I love how you all make yourself known basically immediately whenever someone speaks truth about Snyder. Your level of sensitivity when it comes to your terrible filmmaker waifu is getting ridiculous.

Pfffffttt. He literally came in here and posted that to get a reaction. He didn't post a thing about the actual movie until he was called out, and then he took more potshots in order to get another reaction, despite the fact that he "now" knows there is a thread to do exactly that. Come the gently caress on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He was totally right about it killing Snyder’s vision for the universe, though. It feels like a direct rebuttal to Snyder’s grimdark nonsense

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man, I can't wait to see this. It had actors playing roles, and a three act structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

He was totally right about it killing Snyder’s vision for the universe, though. It feels like a direct rebuttal to Snyder’s grimdark nonsense

Yeah you're right sorry I'm sure that was a totally sincere post BW made punctuated by all the clever emojis

I think there's a discussion to be had to what extent it is a rebuttal to Snyder's vision (despite being set in the same universe and referencing a lot more of the existing characters than any other DC film to date) but based on you saying everyone who responded is ignore list material I don't think you're actually interested in that conversation.