Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Escobarbarian posted:

Everyone reacting negatively to BrianWilly’s post is prime ignore list material. I love how you all make yourself known basically immediately whenever someone speaks truth about Snyder.

Your reg date tells me that you are at least in your thirties. Look at yourself and what you're posting right now. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m 28 :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

You got on these forums at 13? I take it back, you're remarkably well adjusted all things considered.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah honestly that's impressive lol

I'm trying to get a Bill Batson joke to work but I can't figure it out

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

im permabanned poster snyderstomper58. i first started reading cinema discusso when i was about 12.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One other thing that triggered my "NITPICK THIS" response was that at no point do we get the Wisdom of Solomon, despite the Wizard namedropping it. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be Mary's own personal special thing during the last fight, just like everyone else had their own special thing, but Sandberg and Levi forgot that they were...y'know...supposed to have a character with the Wisdom of Solomon, so at the end Mary just ended up not doing much. :v:

It's too bad because Solomon's presence in the pantheon has historically given the Shazam franchise an interestingly Jewish identity that carried over through the years (Freddy Freeman's personal arch-nemesis for most of his existence was called Captain Nazi for pete's sake) which is a liiiiittle bit played down here, even though there are some distinct visual callbacks and cues to that as well.

Guy A. Person posted:

He literally came in here and posted that to get a reaction.
Correct! I absolutely posted for a reaction. You have found the truth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

He was totally right about it killing Snyder’s vision for the universe, though. It feels like a direct rebuttal to Snyder’s grimdark nonsense

Escobarbarian posted:

Snyder’s grimdark nonsense

Escobarbarian posted:

prime ignore list material.

:buddy:

So anyway, do people think this is a "rebuttal to Snyder's vision" simply because Captain M*rv*l is an inherently lighter, more cheerful character or did this movie seem to go out of its way to directly oppose/critique particular elements of Snyder's past films? Apologies if this was already answered in black bars, I'm avoiding spoilers for now.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McSpanky posted:

:buddy:

So anyway, do people think this is a "rebuttal to Snyder's vision" simply because Captain M*rv*l is an inherently lighter, more cheerful character or did this movie seem to go out of its way to directly oppose/critique particular elements of Snyder's past films? Apologies if this was already answered in black bars, I'm avoiding spoilers for now.

Again, it references a lot of the existing characters but doesn't really take the opportunity to directly refute any specific Snyder-isms along the way*. At best I'd say the references almost seem like they are doing a soft retcon by treating the characters as their "safer" personas - e.g. they call Batman "The Caped Crusader" (not spoiling this since it's part of several of the commercials) which doesn't really acknowledge his role in Snyder's movies as this divisive underground figure. Then again, as you might expect a lot of this is coming from the children so it's tinged with a lot of hero worship.

It also has some fun with a few super hero tropes, although the ones I'm thinking of off the top of my head aren't particularly dark, specifically thinking of (this was in a trailer or sneak peak but spoiling just to be safe) the villain monologuing from far away while Shazam struggles to hear him is a good example

Then finally, plot wise, there is a definite theme of using your powers for your own gain, which if you buy into the objectivist Superman trope might make sense as a takedown, but I don't so it didn't really for me

It's closest relative IMO is Spider-Man: Homecoming that I mentioned before it borrows a few things from like the Ramons-fueled cartoony end credits, social media videos showing his exploits, and some gags around learning new powers so if you think borrowing stuff from the rival cinematic universe fits the bill that's possibly another aspect.

* more specifically/spoilery I'm thinking they could have easily dropped lines about Shazam being a more friendly hero than the other guys, or made jokes about Batman fighting Superman being a ridiculous idea or any of a dozen other things if they really had wanted to stick it to Snyder, and none of that is really present at all. Like Deadpool did a similar thing mocking his previous film incarnation and Green Lantern (and hell the Martha thing) and there was nothing remotely close to that

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm almost certain DC has said their films are director-driven, and not a one-style-fits-all mold. Plus, it's kind of hard to do the Shazam story with a dark tone without getting into Miracleman territory.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I mean bottom line is if you thought that the previous films were dark and that the "vision" was to make everything super dark always then any move to lighter storytelling is going to seem like a drastic new direction.

I don't see how you would fit Aquaman or Wonder Woman or Cavill laughing at his own joke with his dumb CGI lip at the end of Justice League into this narrative, but it seems like it's important to some people.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This movie hurt me real bad by making me think Cavill was back for JUST a second. Besides that it was very good but it kinda felt like the two Billys were different characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hopefully if Sivana appears in the future he is more like his traditional Original Mad Scientist self.

The Megalomaniac with the overbite is more appealing to me then a serious guy after power.

Edit: I just learned that Sivana literally invented "Curses! Foiled again!" as a villain phrase.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 5, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

For such a fun movie there are little moments where it goes very dark (Sivana mercing his family and Billy meeting his sad mom)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Edward Mass posted:

I'm almost certain DC has said their films are director-driven, and not a one-style-fits-all mold. Plus, it's kind of hard to do the Shazam story with a dark tone without getting into Miracleman territory.

Just imagining they do that miracle man story of being put through a dream simulation which explains all their kid-friendly adventures and ends with everyone being blown up other than Billy who grows up to suffer from survivors guilt and mid life crisis

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DC Murderverse posted:

For such a fun movie there are little moments where it goes very dark (Sivana mercing his family and Billy meeting his sad mom)

When his mom said "It's not a good time for me right now.", I just deflated in the theater. That was a real suckerpunch.

I mean the movie pretty much outright tells you that the reason she never found him is 'cause she wasn't looking. When it turned out she wasn't dead, I sorta saw it coming.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Movie was fun and good. I think my wife said it best when she called it wholesome deadpool. Its pretty schlocky but in a good way.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man, I can't wait to see this. It had actors playing roles, and a three act structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ox8JfFPcE

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 6, 2019

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So no one noticed the Gremlins call back in the first scene?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got back from it. Loved it.

I always anticipated hearing the two things I've been hearing about it. That it's "DC doing Marvel" and that it's the rebuttal to Snyder's vision of the DCCU (I always thought DCCU made more sense than DCEU.).

The character has always been a goofy, comedy cartoon. I think they captured the spirit of the character better than most characters in the MCU who are basically just the same generic quippy action hero but set in a different genre.

And as much as I love Snyder's take on DC characters, I don't think they ever would have intended his take on Shazam. In fact, if I had any complaints, they should have gone cartoonier with it. Snyder's grit would have been a bit more suited to a solo Freddy Freeman movie. His comics were less cartoon and more edgier urban drama. They draw a bit into that with Billy confronting his mom. Geoff Johns's version of Savana sucks. Give me the snively mad doctor Savana anyday.

The joke about Rocky training to get up the steps had me laughing the hardest.

Edit: Oh, and it was kinda refreshing to hear kids swear in a movie intended for kids. Kinda made it feel like an 80s movie.

The bus sequence also felt like a parody/homage of Raimi's Spider-Man. I can't quite put my finger on why I think that.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 6, 2019

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

Movie was fun and good. I think my wife said it best when she called it wholesome deadpool.

Good God that sounds awful.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd be down for a sequel with the entire team of super-empowered teenagers vs the forces of an evil caterpillar. And Black Adam, who tries to act like the big brother to the whole lot.

So, in speculating on a character for the sequels: There are 6 members of the Marvel Family, is there supposed to be a 7th to mirror the the 7 deadly sins?

Also, they should do a movie with this version of Captain Marvel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKawa9p1HHk

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SimonCat posted:

So, in speculating on a character for the sequels: There are 6 members of the Marvel Family, is there supposed to be a 7th to mirror the the 7 deadly sins?

Also, they should do a movie with this version of Captain Marvel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKawa9p1HHk

I'm pretty sure the implication was Black Adam is still out there somewhere and has the seventh part of Shazam's power. Shazam does mention that he once gave his power to a champion and chose poorly, and there's conspicuously six empowered kids vs seven deadly sins, and one empty throne.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is the rock still slated for black Adam?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is the rock still slated for black Adam?

yeah but the last we heard it was gonna be a solo movie before anything else

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Fun and good movie but I took my young kids based on the trailers and LOL did I just traumatize them like my folks did showing me Gremlins

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dwayne Johnson produced Shazam.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I just got out of this and was really impressed how good it was. I wasn't that thrilled with the villian and felt that fell a little flat but otherwise I loved it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Vishass posted:

Fun and good movie but I took my young kids based on the trailers and LOL did I just traumatize them like my folks did showing me Gremlins

Considering it opens with Donald Clamp listening to "Do you hear what I hear?" the Gremlins comparison is apt.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I thought BrianWilly was one of the good ones on this forum with that Wonder Woman avatar. Then I saw his posts become increasingly anti-Snyder in very weird fashion. Guess Shazam was the tipping point lol.

Apparently Shazam isn't playing over well in foreign markets. Guessing the humor is lost in translation?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I liked it. I haven't seen all the DCU movies but I enjoyed it more than BvS or WW.

It did very much copy Spiderman Homecoming. Billy felt like a version of Peter before he lost Uncle Ben. Freddie was Ned. All the tropes with the school/bullies. Etc.

The stuff with Billy's mom was sad (an aside: the cops couldn't look this kid's mom up?) but it worked well move the story. I figured he was going to give his powers to his family and I'm glad that it wasn't just a bit at the very end but the solution to defeat the villains.

Hopefully they can make a few more before the kids get too old and it's just adult Billy turning into himself.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zero One posted:

The stuff with Billy's mom was sad (an aside: the cops couldn't look this kid's mom up?) but it worked well move the story. I figured he was going to give his powers to his family and I'm glad that it wasn't just a bit at the very end but the solution to defeat the villains.

Yeah, for that, my first instinct was to think Oh, it was the 90s, they couldn't just google or whatever. But then I remembered that Billy is 14 years old today so it was probably like 2005 when he got lost and then I felt very old.

They better fast track the sequels fast. Those kids aren't going to be kids forever. Darla was adorable. I can see a Mary Marvel in college spinoff doing pretty well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I was super surprised that The entire Marvel family showed up and it was cool as hell. I love that they all represent some aspect of the gods etc.. although not sure then who Shazam / Captain Marvel embodies"? Zeus?". Anyway I was glad they did that. Also Stealth gay and a person with a disability hero and a foster family. Like it was very cool. Did the same actres play adult Mary Marvel and Mary Marvel shazam?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 6, 2019

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They all seemed to have most or all of the powers. I at least saw Eugene using super strength to throw a sin in addition to lighting.

edit: one more thing I forgot to say. Billy jumping off his deadbeat mom's apartment to go save his real family was pretty awesome.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 6, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I was super surprised that The entire Marvel family showed up and it was cool as hell. I love that they all represent some aspect of the gods etc.. although not sure then who Shazam / Captain Marvel embodies"? Zeus?". Anyway I was glad they did that. Also Stealth gay and a person with a disability hero and a foster family. Like it was very cool. Did the same actres play adult Mary Marvel and Mary Marvel shazam?

Shazam/Captain Marvel represents all the gods that make up the acronym of his name.

Wisdom of Solomon
Strength of Hercules
Stamina of Atlas
Power of Zeus
Courage of Achilles
Speed of Mercury

As far as Mary is concerned, it was the same actress playing Mary Marvel. I think because she's just about college aged and closer to being self actualized than the rest of the kids, she didn't need to change much. Most versions of the character don't change her either. Even in Jeff Smith's excellent Monster Society of Evil, where she's a young child, she still is a young child when he gains her powers.

I think all the other kids weren't coded as having one specific power specialty. I think they all basically got the same power. Billy just shared his powers spread across all of them.

Also, spot on voice for Mr. Mind. I totally marked out for all of that.

Edit: VV I guess I was wrong about that.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 6, 2019

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Different actresses for Mary, apparently. I thought it might've been the same girl but apparently Mary was Grace Fulton and Mary Marvel was Michelle Borth.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The score in this movie is really good, I like how big and creepy it was at different times

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got the idea that all of the Marvel Family have the same powerset, but some of them are better at particular things than others. Wouldn't be surprised if the 'Hadouken!' kid excelled with lightning.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Saw this last night and it was rad. Most I've enjoyed a comic book movie since Thor Ragnarok and maybe my favorite DC movie since The Dark Knight. Very funny and legit heartwarming in a few spots, I understand the Spider-Man Homecoming comparisons but it was just different enough to keep my attention. My only real complaint is that kid Billy and transformed Billy had what felt like two completely different personalities, though I don't know if that's part of the actual character.

Someone do me a solid and explain the post-credits scene TIA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Saw this last night and it was rad. Most I've enjoyed a comic book movie since Thor Ragnarok and maybe my favorite DC movie since The Dark Knight. Very funny and legit heartwarming in a few spots, I understand the Spider-Man Homecoming comparisons but it was just different enough to keep my attention. My only real complaint is that kid Billy and transformed Billy had what felt like two completely different personalities, though I don't know if that's part of the actual character.

Mr. Mind is an infamous villain, and the primary antagonist of the first comic book megaevent Captain Marvel and the Monster Society of Evil. He was a mysterious behind the scenes bad guy who turned out to be a dorky literal worm. He owns. He owns so hard.

As far as Captain Marvel goes it depends. Sometimes Billy and Marvel are entirely different entities. Sometimes they're the exact same just with Marvel having slightly different personality traits due to having magic wisdom. Sometimes Marvel is different-but-influenced-by-Billy. The movie version is kind of its own thing but basically comes across as "what would this kid do if he had all his restraints taken off." Which honestly makes a lot of sense when you consider Marvel's other big villain, Black Adam, who is a guy who got the power and then got corrupted by it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Post credits scene: The talking caterpillar is one of Shazam's greatest villains. He's a psychic worm from Venus. He's pretty historically significant to comics because his introductory story was The Monster Society of Evil, the first serialized superhero comic maxi-series.

One of his henchmen was Adolf Hitler.