Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

onsetOutsider posted:

i need to increase my mafia experiene so i'll probably join every game that starts during the everdune player drought.

so yeah in in, if this game ever gets enough players to start

Where was this person a week ago!!

PS if you're not joining this game because you're in dunes you're a coward & I'll kick your rear end.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Can’t imagine what that would feel like

Lmao

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

SalTheBard posted:

I'm watching Survivor right now. So if you are scum just let us know so we can vote you out without any miss cuddles

Oh my God I have been dying to talk to someone about this season. Wardog has kind of grown on me, for a man named 'Wardog.'

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fool_of_sound posted:

one of you has to change your avatar or im going to vote to kill one of you until it succeeds

Out of curiosity, why didn't you vote one of them right here and now?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

I am tired but not tired. What should I do mafia?

Go for a walk or read a book imo

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

onsetOutsider posted:

also whats the point of a stump? i dont get it

I was going to answer this and uh actually I don't know.

Stump is a weird role, usually a player who has already died is given stump powers so they can still contribute to discussion without messing up the numbers. It's a neat way to get around the unfortunate fact of player elimination.

A player who is ~just~ a stump though, idk. Might be some larger unseen axis on which that role rotates, but it's probably not worth getting into day one because it'll just distract from scrumbhunting.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jonathan Fisk posted:

let's start this game early, i'm drunk and have nothing to do

I have a dayvig, and I'm going to kill flerp, toalpaz, or kaschei before the night is over

i don't get why vigs NEVER keep the gun in their pocket past day one. i guess it makes sense for you since you're some kind of night action magnet but wouldn't it also be cool to shoot someone d3 to check a cop result or something?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

flerp posted:

thats boring

you're boring, fight me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

flerp posted:

i would but actually i should be playing within my optimal parameters by waiting for four days and for you to be tracked two times and copped at least one before i fight u

What if I was tobbs 😈

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

SalTheBard posted:

##vote Somberbrero

He's completely insane and it's amazing to watch, because he is also pretty smart.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Mason mmm because I haven't seen him in a while
Vig a lurker because why not
Lunch merk because it's always funny

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Keane, considering we can’t kill you, do you have a win condition?

Not trying to rile you up, but why even go down that rabbit hole this early on? If Keane has anything to hide, he's not going to share it with us.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Steak posted:

anyone not patently ignoring stumpy is sus

##vote fisk

I sorta brought it up, but fisk's answer made me pause for a second. I don't think that's super scummy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Well, okay.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I'll read this thread tomorrow, apologies

What if you read it.... never? because you would be dead? ##vote mmm?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
That seems pretty weird, Steak.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Sorry, something pretty lovely is happening at work and I don't have the mental bandwidth to play right now. I'll check in tonight and put a case together, I think merk is scum based on a quick read.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
alright, some stuff happened today, but i'm here now. It's crazy, I feel like I've missed so much but really this game was 100% dead yesterday and all this started while I was sleeping.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
to try and build a concise case here:

merk posted:

I have no serious vote to make. I just spent five minutes searching for one.

merk posted:

##unvote

The only things that jump out:
1. Fisk addressing the stump, but this seems legitimate given the first game thing.
2. Toalpaz and Steak trying to act high and mighty about how we should ignore the stump.
3. Hal and flerp hopping onto the Toalpaz stump comment with jokes seems super mildly townie I guess.
4. I guess Sal's post about extending jokephase being scummy is kind of scummy because it doesn't say anyone in particular is scum (vienna votes it). That's good enough: ##vote Sal

unvoting me is weird. who cares about unvotes. in the context of this latter post where merkman is rehashing stuff to no actual point, it's weirder. Merkenstein is sidling onto a case that has picked up a lot of traction on a very very very neutral point at best.

i want to ask ya'll this question. Why does merker unvote me in the same post where he votes another player?

It's because murk is concerned with appearances. mark has, subconsciously or not, made a statement that he cares about perception by tossing out a completely perfunctory unvote. Who cares about perception? Probably not townies!

doing a reread but those posts stuck out to me as i was brushing my teeth this morning and i finally had time to address them. ##vote merk

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
okay, so thoughts.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Is this:
A) A town player offering up their life because they don't give a gently caress
B) A scum player throwing themselves at taste's feet because they know most players won't vig the player who asks
C) Somebody with a bulletproof role being cheeky
D) What Ninth should say every day until somebody takes mercy on the rest of us

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

holy gently caress, i don't want to continue to derail the game into this ridiculous tangent but

yes, obviously you can learn from what people say by their reactions to flawed call outs, which is why people making low effort pushes in day one isn't a scum sign. Like, I don't think Merk is scum from this whole thing.

The problem is that merk had a reaction he wanted to see, which was me being "oh, you're right, there was another option i missed" but didn't read it and continued to push it. Once he realized that the actual initial thing he was looking for was already accounted for, he accused me of over explaining*, of course, those longer explanations originated in the world where merk hadn't read my prior post so from my perspective I needed to hash things out very simply so he could understand it. He was mad that I called the original point flawed, but clearly he doesn't think it's worth voting on it's own without shifting to an additional reason

* if you're thinking "wait a minute, he said the thing about over explaining before the exchange about not reading" yes, that's true, but it shifted to being the central point of his argument after, and lets not get into being too overly pedantic

what the gently caress is happening in this game

so from the genesis of mmm's point to the end, mostly. there's stuff after that but i don't care about it as much. that second post is very fake. we're so early on and mmm is already saying "UGH THIS GAME!!!" come on, that ain't right and i don't believe it.

reading their exchange once-through, i think merk comes off better in it. they're both scummy for very different reasons, but it seems unlikely that they're ~gambiting~ by going at each other this early on. i see merk as probably genuinely just attempting to generate discussion, which often comes off as scummy because there's very little else to go off. it's something i used to get dragged for a lot, so i can understand how it might happen to a newbie like merk too.

##vote mmm

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

spacing in vienna posted:

Wait, is FoS a newbie?

i left a tab open for this because what the heck. vienna, is that a joke? also, have you played mafia before? those are both genuine questions, not just trying to be a dick.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i feel like hal might be scum this game as well, but casing hal is like grasping the wind. he's more active than normal, he's there and posting while stuff is happening, but he is wishy-washy when it comes to giving real opinions. his steak vote in particular feels like nonsense.

Hal Incandenza posted:

Not as scummy as changing your username mid game

##vote mr steak

Hal Incandenza posted:

Although I do agree with this, as I already said to merk. I do think merk is correct in that he has been playing like this lately.

Also I am truly happy with my vote on SteakOnset now, he's being a little too aggressive in trying to make his not very good point.

there's zero connective tissue between those posts and they're fairly far apart, like hal just retroactively justified his joke vote to make it serious, which is pretty sneaky!

first post was made: Apr 11, 2019 16:56

second post was made: Apr 12, 2019 09:05

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i could not disagree with you more on like, every point.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Is anyone actually saying mmm or merk for today? Who else was even on merk before me?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

eh ya dingus, frustration with the game isn't just based on how long the game has gone, it's how frustrating the exchanges you're in are.

The exchange between you and merk felt tepid, I just have a hard time believing it.

I would switch to Hal though. Do you have any thoughts on his steak vote as I outlined earlier?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Steak posted:

can you please repeat this post in a way that isnt word salad?

Lol what's your deal though

I wanted to jump on you for this, because Toal is sorta right, just throwing out five names doesn't actually say much. However you also say that your reasoning is because they think your scummy but can't back it up, which is fair I guess. I don't get why you're behind SO combative though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

spacing in vienna posted:

I have, actually, just not in a few years. I've been playing off and on since, I want to say 2009??, but it's way, way more off than on. I resurface every few years to play a few games and then disappear again. When I started, my username was slackerbitch, but I don't remember when I changed it.

So like half the usernames here, I recognize and think I might have played with before, and the other half, I have no clue. So it was a legit question.

Missed this responding to mmm. I asked just because the fool newbie thing was brought up several times today so it seemed weird you missed it.

We were probably active at the same time since I started in 09(oh my god) but I also have the memory of a small bird

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Steak posted:

1) i dont know what FOS means
2) that post was just me dumping all my thoughts to be transparent. i know i dont have cases on those names but thats where my head is at right now
3) what does SO mean when you say im "behind SO combative"?

Finger of Shame.

I am on my phone right now, I meant 'being SO combative,' because you're coming off like a dick when Toal asked you a reasonable question.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Steak posted:

you were already voting for me

Lol he's got you there Toal

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Steak posted:

i 100% did not realize toal's post was addressed to me. i thought they were answering yor question of who was on merk before you with "steak, who is scum" becaus i was. the rest of their post read like nonsense to me after that

i have no idea how to respond to that but it's hilarious.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##vote anomalous amalgam

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Tone is self conscious and nervous

Reads as though AA had the conclusion they were going to get to before they started writing the pist,. calls me out several times but I'm only a maybe, mentioned in a follow-up post when he realized he forgot to bring me up, probably one in his list of scum is his scumbuddy.

Drive-by dumps like that are what scum do when they want to post but can't find a natural transition into the conversation, I used to do the same thing back in the day

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Address the points or is wholesale dismissal the best you can muster?

If you think there's any way I'm going to try to break down your insane Gordian post, you are mistaken.

Notice how you're trying to undermine my credibility by mocking me rather than engaging in real discussion. You're also still not voting me. You also don't care to explain your actual vote, probably because you can't. All of this suggests to me that you are not interested in finding scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Atomic Soda posted:

interested in response from somber to this part of aa's longpost:

I genuinely have a hard time parsing that bit. Is AA saying I was trying to provoke an emotional reaction from Fisk by saying that I was not trying to provoke an emotional reaction from Fisk?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I would also vote sal.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Toals posting was distinctly different.

It wasn't a strange conclusion
My toal suspicion was voiced through out.

And somber is decidedly lazy and making my post out like some eldritch architecture as opposed to a fairly easy to follow assessment.

That's scummy!

Here you pick out one point to respond to in my argument and then ignore the rest as they're harder to address. I'm pretty sure you are scum.

Your ignoring the context of your own post. You do this long write-up calling out several posters, Toal plays a comparatively minor part in that write-up, so it's curious that you would see Toal as the scummiest. I don't get why you're acting like this is such a strange reaction.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I still don't see the case in Toal, I reread them. This is what taste does all the time too so idk how any of you are getting real reads of him. I'm pretty sure AA is scum and I'd like to vote him out.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Humalong posted:

I was ranking the three vote leaders. I agree on Toal and Taste. AA has pinged me a bit but not enough that I think I would vote them today. It seems like their usual brand of insanity.

I feel like AA dropped some shady responses and then vanished to avoid having to respond to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

merk posted:

Taste was really active in the game you just modded on d1 where he was making reads and prodding people.
Toal is playing nothing like they did in the game you just modded where they were actively trying to figure out the game in a word vomit / say everything way.

Your reads on them are really weird.

ninjad pronouns

I'm looking at taste across a wider range of games. A third of the time he just plunks down and refuses to do anything as town d1.

I don't think a sample size of '1' is enough for me to make a meta alignment call on Toal, there are so many reasons Toal could be posting differently that do not have to do with alignment. I've played with Toal a couple times but I am not as familiar with them as Fisk.