Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

http://www.threefieldsentertainment.com/our-games/dangerous-driving/

Release date: April 9

Platforms: Xbox, PS4 and PC

Three Fields Entertainment is whats left of the original Criterion team. They made the successful Danger Zone 1/2 (burnout crash mode) and also made Dangerous Golf.

from what I have seen of this game They've taken basically everything from Burnout 3 and dumped it into the Unreal engine. UI, Physics, everything is as close to Burnout 3 as it can be without ruffling EAs feathers, presumably.

the games page posted:

Before we tell you what our game is, instead, we’ll start by telling you what it isn’t. It isn’t yet another game about Motorsports. It isn’t for people who obsess over vehicle specifications, braking points and power to weight ratios. Nor is it a glorified manufacturer advertisement for Supercars and Hypercars that you’ve never heard of and will probably never ever get to stand next to, let alone drive. Whilst there is a time and a place for ‘stepping into the shoes of a modern day racing driver’ or performing perfectly polite overtaking maneouvres on laser scanned recreations of the world’s most famous racing circuits, this isn’t the sort of driving we can relate to.

For most of us, the reality of driving takes place on horribly congested roads, crawling at a slow place, and doing everything you can to try and stay calm as you try to get to where you’re going, wishing you could just floor it and take off into the sunset!

This is a game about real driving. The sort of driving you’d do if no one else was looking. The sort of driving you’d love to do if only everyone else would just get out of the drat way!

This game gives you the chance to do that. To floor it in everyday cars, at high speeds, weaving in and out of traffic and slamming the other cars right off the road.
This is a game built in the spirit of the classic arcade racing games of the 80’s and 90’ from teams like Sega’s AM2, Namco and Taito. It’s about speed, driving skill and beautiful powerslides around epic corners. It’s also about all out aggression, instant retaliation and sweet, sweet revenge.

The more dangerously you drive, the faster you can go.

Features!

9 game modes - Heatwave, Road Rage, Wanted Suspects, Pursuit Mode, Eliminator, Survival Mode, Face Off, Races and GP.
27 Vehicles across 6 car classes -Sedan, SUV, Coupe, Supercar, Hypercar and Formula DD.
69]single player events across 7 North American National Park inspired locations including Canyons, Deserts, snowy Mountains, Lakes and more.
online play coming month 1 after launch.

NEW FEATURES
Persistent Wrecks! Take a Rival down and their wreck remains on the road making subsequent laps ever more dangerous!

Heatwave Chains increase top speed! Heatwave events are pure racing – with no Takedowns! Take a Tuned car into a Heatwave event and each successful Heatwave combo adds 2 mph to the car’s top speed. How fast will you go?

Spotify Integration! Music is personal – and none more so than the music you choose to drive to! Authorise your premium Spotify account in the Audio menu and control your music inside the game.

gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxOB_t7OJw0

I for one am very excited. Burnout 3 was my all time favorite game in the series and probably the game I played the most on my PS2. It looks a little dated, probably because with a small team a copy+paste into a new engine was the best they could muster without the EA budget behind them, but if it feels as good as Burnout 3 did, I dont care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'm pretty pumped for this one, hopefully it drums up some more press. I want more goofy arcade racing games

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm fuckin' hype for this. It's not going to scratch that Burnout Paradise itch, but at this point I don't expect that game to ever be equalled. Burnout 3 was the best non-open-world Burnout by far, so this looks loving awesome.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm a huge fan of Burnout, especially 2 and 3, and from what I've seen this looks to be something of a combination of those two games so I'm definitely picking it up next week. The one thing I'm a bit disappointed about is how bare-bones the damage model is and how there doesn't seem to be any actual deformation. Maybe they'll sort that out at some point, but as it is the crashes look somewhat lackluster compared to games like BeamNG, Wreckfest and even the latest Carmageddon.

But yeah, still a day one buy for me.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think it comes down to it being a small budget and using old models from the original game. It was never going to have the vehicle detail of paradise, but I'm ok with that because paradise isn't the best game in the series outside of the visuals anyway.

I gave Paradise another effort with the remaster and found it more enjoyable this time around although you can't play it for more than an hour before the events start to feel samey thanks to having only 8 end points.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Of course I understand they have a low budget and something like seven people on the dev team, but especially considering the fact they've now made two games that are basically Burnout crash mode you'd think the damage modeling would've been a high priority at some point. I don't need BeamNG or even Burnout Paradise levels of deformation, just give me something. Even Burnout 2 damage, where there was no real chassis deformation but body panels would fall off quite nicely, would be an improvement. At least here you get some wheels falling off and doors flapping about, plus explosions and particle effects but it just doesn't look right when you can't trash the chassis.

But hey, as long as the gameplay is fun (and it certainly looks to be, I'm really hyped for the Heatwave races), I'll be quite satisfied. I'm sure they'll sort out the damage model at some point, maybe with the next game.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
How's the Epic Games Launcher? Thinking of picking this up but haven't tried out EGS yet.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Ryuga Death posted:

How's the Epic Games Launcher? Thinking of picking this up but haven't tried out EGS yet.

Don't use it if you don't want your data given to Tenecent/Chinese government. It scrapes a lot from your Steam installation, and I've heard rumors that it looks for other stuff, like certificates. Honestly, the fact that it's on the Epic launcher only should be in the OP. That thing is not that far from a virus.

This pretty much kills my interest in the game entirely. Oh well, I'll just have to wait a year.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not on steam :(

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

John and Rich from Digital Foundry take a look at the console versions of Dangerous Driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAbXM1fIhCQ

PS4 Pro and Xbone X versions run at 1080p and 1440p respectively, at 60 fps with the occasional drop to the high 50s especially on the BoneX side. I would expect these drops to get ironed out with patches, because they just seem to be a result of optimization not being quite there yet, but at the moment the Pro version has a slight performance advantage.

Meanwhile, the regular PS4 and Xbone run the game at 30 fps. Frankly, that is not good enough for a game like this that requires split-second reactions (all Burnout games run at 60 fps, except for the PSP and DS releases), and is made worse by serious frame-pacing issues. I couldn't imagine playing the game like that even if they fix the frame-pacing, but YMMV. I really hope Three Fields adds a 60 fps performance mode with a lower resolution and/or reduced visual detail to the base console versions.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 9, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The game unlocked for me a couple of hours ago on Xbone X, so I played through most of the Sedan events and at this point I can quite happily confirm that this is a Burnout-rear end Burnout game. It feels like a worthy successor despite the lower budget and rough edges like the occasional typo in the menus, the random frame drops pointed out in the Digital Foundry video, and the Spotify integration (which is a neat idea and the official Three Fields playlist for the game is pretty solid as well) breaking for no apparent reason.

The driving physics are a bit different from what you might be used to, in that the cars feel lighter and more sensitive than most of the vehicles in the earlier games, but the gameplay very much feels like Burnout and the sense of speed in the faster cars (one of which you get to try out in the second event of the career mode) is absolutely insane and feels exactly like it should. Taking down opponents is just as satisfying as ever despite the lackluster damage model. I also discovered you can still do the boost start from Burnout 2 and 3, which the game never tells you about but if you mastered the (slightly awkward) mechanic 15 years ago it'll still work!

The Heatwave races are a lot of fun even before you unlock the cars that get a +2 mph speed increase every time you chain a Heatwave, although the system itself is much more forgiving than the Burnout mechanic in Burnout 2. You can chain Heatwaves together as long as you keep boosting and don't crash, whereas in Burnout 2 you had to actively keep driving as dangerously as possible to keep your Burnout chain going.

I do have some doubts about the longevity here because the game is pretty bare-bones, but it is incredibly fun to play and that's the most important thing. It's not like Burnout 2 had much more to it, and I still play that to this day because it's a fantastic arcade racer.

Sorry about the double post, I just wanted to talk about how much I'm enjoying this. Seriously, if you liked the racing in Burnout 2 and especially 3, you will not be disappointed. At least if you're not playing on a base PS4 or Xbone, I guess. :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 9, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im pumped to try it when I get home.

i'd imagine multiplayer will add a fair bit of longevity to it once that comes around.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Playlist is up on Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2FBEg20r2x1wBFEQgHu5Hl?si=IlqjsUeJTmOsyJQfqeJo8w

Lot of bangers in there

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

The cars do feel super light. I wish they were a little heavier, but that might just be all the Outrun 2sp I've played since Burnout 3/Revenge talking.

Game is solid though, can't wait to play more after work.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

There actually are noticeable differences in the way the cars handle here. The Advanced cars, which are geared towards the Road Rage events, are much heavier than the other models and have a tendency to understeer a lot so you really have to manhandle them around the tracks. Of course, different classes of cars also have different handling characteristics, so the big SUVs in the second set of events feel nothing like the nimble sedans you start out with. I also dropped the handling sensitivity slider down a couple of notches, which I highly recommend because it makes the sportier cars a lot less twitchy.

Also, the second Shakedown Preview event puts you in a formula car and the speed on that thing is completely insane. :staredog: You have to make it around a long, twisty track in under 3:45, and while that is a relatively generous time limit (3:30 is the platinum time, and I beat that by a few seconds despite crashing once and bumping into walls a lot) it's easier said than done to avoid crashing more than a couple of times when you're doing 230 mph and drifting around blind corners.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
THE BIG QUESTION: Is there local multiplayer?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

tithin posted:

Not on steam :(

Another epic exclusive it seems. Oh well...more money for me to squander on other dumb games.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

If the concern is just rewarding epic for exclusives and not the actual client, you can get a key on the humble store instead.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

THE BIG QUESTION: Is there local multiplayer?
Some sort of multiplayer is coming next month, probably online-only but I don't think anyone except the developers knows just yet.

Also, while I am very glad they went out of their way to replicate the feel of classic Burnout here, I don't think making you restart a 20-minute GP series when you lose the last race in the final corner due to wonky physics was really a necessary component of the Burnout experience. While most Burnout games work the same way (at least they had the courtesy to warn you that you were about to restart the entire GP series), Burnout 3 let you retry individual races in a GP and nobody complained. Oh well, I guess it wouldn't be Burnout if there wasn't some frustrating bullshit at some point.

By the way, you should probably turn off the Takedown camera for now. Since this game has massive rubberband AI in the regular races, the opponents are always right behind you and the autopilot during the Takedown cam tends to be overly careful, dropping you behind the opponents and often even the wreck of the car you just took down. I actually managed to crash into the wrecked car once when I came out of the Takedown cam. :downs:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 9, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Oh my god. :shlick:

Tell me it's as good as I hope it is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

30fps on standard PS4/Xbone is kind of loving nuts, was this budget racing game really that demanding? I can't imagine playing an arcade racer at less than 60fps

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Doc M posted:

Some sort of multiplayer is coming next month, probably online-only but I don't think anyone except the developers knows just yet.

If it’s online only throw it in the trash. I’m still pissed at Burnout Paradise for ditching local multiplayer.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

If it’s online only throw it in the trash. I’m still pissed at Burnout Paradise for ditching local multiplayer.

Online only. Their FAQ explicitly says no local MP

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I played a bit earlier today, streamed for some friends, and uh

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/408948146

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

tithin posted:

Online only. Their FAQ explicitly says no local MP

loving lame trash.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

tithin posted:

:catstare: I've seen the AI cars do some wonky things, but nothing quite like this.

That sucks about the lack of local multiplayer, I didn't think to look at the FAQ so I had no idea how the multiplayer was going to be. I can understand why it's not there, as the game already doesn't run great on the poverty models of the consoles and splitscreen would probably cause them to melt. Also, I admit I don't know much about game engines, but isn't splitscreen supposed to be a pain in the rear end to implement in Unreal Engine or am I mixing it up with some other modern engine?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

tithin posted:

For those who missed it multiple times (because its so horrifically fast), it happens at 0:19.

I hope this game is good because I've been hurtin for a squirtin of burnout 3, but that clip makes me scared

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I'm enjoying the game, though it's definitely a budget release from a small team and it shows. I think I'm getting $30 out of it myself on a base PS4. One reviewer said (paraphrased) 'this is okay and I hope it does well because they'll probably knock it out of the park in a sequel.' That sounds about right.

If you liked Burnout 2/3 a lot you'll have plenty of fun IMO, as long as you've got reasonable expectations of a budget release. Pick it up on sale at some point if you're worried, but I think it scratches the itch pretty well.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Doc M posted:

:catstare: I've seen the AI cars do some wonky things, but nothing quite like this.

That sucks about the lack of local multiplayer, I didn't think to look at the FAQ so I had no idea how the multiplayer was going to be. I can understand why it's not there, as the game already doesn't run great on the poverty models of the consoles and splitscreen would probably cause them to melt. Also, I admit I don't know much about game engines, but isn't splitscreen supposed to be a pain in the rear end to implement in Unreal Engine or am I mixing it up with some other modern engine?

Split-screen is easy as hell to implement in most if not all game engines. The problem is they don't want to lower the graphics details. This would be somewhat acceptable excuse in a racing or a pimp my ride simulator where looks are king. But in an arcade bumper-cars racer? It's just stupid.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Split-screen is easy as hell to implement in most if not all game engines. The problem is they don't want to lower the graphics details. This would be somewhat acceptable excuse in a racing or a pimp my ride simulator where looks are king. But in an arcade bumper-cars racer? It's just stupid.
I must have confused "hard to implement splitscreen" with "hard to implement splitscreen without lowering the visual quality" so never mind that then.

Anyway, I completely agree with you in that prioritizing the visuals with this game was a weird decision. I don't play a lot of local multiplayer because I don't have any friends so for me that doesn't really factor in, but just the fact this runs at 30 fps on the base consoles is something I can't wrap my head around at all. People ended up complaining about dated visuals anyway, so why not prioritize frame rate instead like with the original Burnout games? Burnout 1 on PS2 has terrible aliasing and field rendering artifacts and kinda looked like crap even when it came out, but it still feels great to play because it runs at a pretty smooth 60 fps.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

game is definitely closer to 2 than 3 in terms of feel, although its nice to be able to chain drifts now.

how do you get a boost off the start line?

it definitely feels like a cheap/mobile game made for consoles, but the gameplay is reasonably solid.

kind of dumb to have such a linear progression through the races however. would be nice to have to switch up between classes occasionally instead of just running through each one and unlocking all the cars in a class only to never need them again.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

They need to remake burnout revenge

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Laserface posted:

how do you get a boost off the start line?
Hold down the brake trigger, press down the accelerator while still holding the brake and then release the brake while keeping gas held down. Your tires will start to smoke when you do this. Then when the countdown hits 1, release the accelerator and immediately press it down again. It's not the most intuitive mechanic in the world.

tithin posted:

Preferably into something good this time :smugbert:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 11, 2019

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

If the concern is just rewarding epic for exclusives and not the actual client, you can get a key on the humble store instead.

I saw someone saying you can boot it via steam after you have it installed

https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...e.109970/page-5

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tithin posted:

you can already play it backwards compat?

but yeah its not that good. Dominator (on PS2) used the traffic check mechanic better IMO

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Laserface posted:

Dominator (on PS2) used the traffic check mechanic better IMO
By not having it? If you hit something from behind in Dominator, you wreck your car.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Doc M posted:

By not having it? If you hit something from behind in Dominator, you wreck your car.

it was a separate game mode. I think you had to traffic check cars to a certain amount to win, and each car you checked granted .2 seconds extra time or something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does this game have Crash mode?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

buglord posted:

Does this game have Crash mode?

no (because they already released 2 games exclusively of crash mode)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Laserface posted:

it was a separate game mode. I think you had to traffic check cars to a certain amount to win, and each car you checked granted .2 seconds extra time or something.
That was Traffic Attack in Revenge, and yeah, that is a fun mode. I wish they had kept traffic checking confined to that mode, or maybe that and crash/road rage events. Dominator has no traffic checking whatsoever, but it does have Burnouts again and chaining them is the main gimmick of the entire game.

I've been working my way through some more events in Dangerous Driving, and I'm starting to find a lot of small annoyances I hope will get addressed in updates at some stage. For starters, the opponent AI is just weird -- in regular races, you get serious rubberbanding and the opponents will always be right on your tail up until the final stretch of the last lap, which is when they suddenly slow down. If you don't use a lot of boost, the AI will not boost either and will not overtake you unless you bump into something or completely gently caress up a turn. On the other hand, Face-Off and Heatwave events are ridiculously easy because the AI just falls way back and you'll win by 30 seconds or more if you're even halfway competent. There should be some kind of middle ground between those extremes.

Then there's the Shakedown events, or Burning Laps as they used to be called. I love these in Burnout 3 despite them being super hard, but here they've changed a couple of things for the worse and the events are now really frustrating. Namely, there is way too much traffic now. In the old games, Burning Laps had reduced amounts of traffic which also spawned in fixed locations because Criterion knew they had to give the player some kind of concession if anyone was going to earn golds from these events. You basically have to boost at all times (the game gives you extra boost so you can pretty much keep the button held down as long as you're in the oncoming lane) without crashing more than a couple of times, which is easier said than done even with reduced traffic in fixed spots. Dangerous Driving doesn't have those concessions, so you get the full amount of traffic and it's randomized every time. Thankfully, they at least made the time limits a little bit more generous, but these events are still pretty brutal here.

Speaking of traffic, the tail lights on the traffic cars should be a lot more obvious like they were in the Burnout games. You pretty much can't see the lights until it's too late. Some of the tracks are so visually busy as well that it's really difficult to see what's going on in general, with a ton of screen space reflections and stuff like that all over the place.