Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071

honk honk
got linked this from the byob spaceship thread in games, ants rule and eusocial insects are just about the raddest creatures living on this planet

some cool ant facts I've picked up from various documentaries. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact species in question for any of them.

Not all workers are incapable of reproduction. Some species reinforce the reproductive exclusivity of the queen socially, rather than biologically. I can't find the documentary to double check exactly which species, but there's one native to Arizona iirc where if a worker gets pregnant while there's still an active queen, her sisters will hold her down and starve her until the pregnancy is stillborn

There's at least one species where, rather than both genders having nuptial flights, the females will stick around with their mothers and the males will go looking for alternate colonies. They're too big to fit into the tunnels, so they submit to having their wings and limbs torn off by the workers and then just sorta hope the colony actually needs a new male because sometimes the workers will just say no thank you and eat him instead of dragging him in to mate

There's a species of termite that, in its constant evolutionary battle against the local ant species, is just barely under twice an ant's proportions. This means their tunnels (which are termite sized, of course) can't fit two ants side by side, and the termites get to fight the ants 1v1 if the ants come invading, which the larger termite will basically always win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU