Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Maxis was irreplaceable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I really miss sim tower :(

I loved naming the residents and tracking them all around.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I ended up getting Sim City 4 and have to this day never figured out how to make a good bustling city :smith:
This is hard for me to admit, but I actually sucked a lot at SC4 until I read Deadly Hume's LP here (years ago, not even sure you can still find it). By far, the biggest challenge of starting a new city in SC4 is resisting the urge to give sims stuff. I believe even water is kinda optional, but police and fire protection is totally not necessary until your budget can support it. If you plop down a large police station or a hospital it will destroy your budget, instead place a police kiosk and a clinic until your town grows and take full advantage of the sliders within those buildings. If I recall, the schools have sliders for teacher's budget and bus budget, decrease the radius until it just barely covers all of the houses (you did place it in the center of your residential zone right?) and decrease teacher funding to where it barely covers the number of students. You have to really babysit each building at first fine tuning the budget until your population gets high enough that you can just throw money at all your problems.

I think this make a lot of sense because if you consider what rural america is really like, a lot of towns lack a lot services and rely on the neighboring cities for support. My home town had 3 "cities" in the county (county was about 20 miles square), the main town has a population of about 1,000 and it has a small hospital, police station and post office. The other two "towns" are literally just a collection of houses and nothing more, they used to have post offices eons ago but those have been closed for decades. If you need a major surgery the nearest real hospital was 80 miles away, hell the ER life-flighted my Dad 400 miles when he had a stroke because they couldn't handle it at the local hospital. Sorry if that is a bit of a derail, but my point is much like in real life, small towns in SC4 just cant provide services for residents and so you have to cut the budgets back to the bare minimum to survive. You can fine tune each building by using the query tool to adjust things like the teacher budget (capacity) or bus budget (range) and police, fire, and medical all have similar sliders.

Also, if you can find it, read Deadly Hume's LP. It taught me everything I know about how to play SC4.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Well thanks to this thread I bought 3000

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Well thanks to this thread I bought 3000

post ur city

i bought sc3k-u about a year ago since they finally managed to make it compatible with modern OSes and this was my city

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Miniature city I'm building last couple days. SC3KU is the first game I ever played that had its own dedicated screenshot tool, though I guess it inherited it from The Sims.

I'd also take an updated version of this game, non-curved streets, sprite-based buildings, and all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BTW there's a 1080 resolution patch (though tbqh I don't really see a massive difference?)

https://www.monitortests.com/sc3k-patcher-1.1.zip

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

BTW there's a 1080 resolution patch (though tbqh I don't really see a massive difference?)

https://www.monitortests.com/sc3k-patcher-1.1.zip

it just makes it so the game fills the screen without stretching. it doesnt do anything to the graphics

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Applewhite posted:

I really miss sim tower :(

I loved naming the residents and tracking them all around.

That one dumb fucker that keeps taking the worst elevator routes to get anywhere, and is always bright red with fury because of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

That one dumb fucker that keeps taking the worst elevator routes to get anywhere, and is always bright red with fury because of it.

Don't dox me

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

the schools have sliders for teacher's budget and bus budget, decrease the radius until it just barely covers all of the houses (you did place it in the center of your residential zone right?) and decrease teacher funding to where it barely covers the number of students. You have to really babysit each building at first fine tuning the budget
I don't care how realistic that is, it's a terrible mechanic that is super unfun to have to deal with. Even worse than replacing waterpumps and whatnot in SimCity 3000 when they age.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I might buy sc3k if it works on new os's since ive never played it and.im getting a bit burned out on rimworld

edit: where can i buy it?

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 22, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GoG

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

simcity 3ku is some kind of mythical game, with an absolutely god tier soundtrack that i still listen to every now and then.

I remember they removed Sim Broadway from the soundtrack in SC3K Unlimited, which is a shame because it's the best.

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010

Poil posted:

I don't care how realistic that is, it's a terrible mechanic that is super unfun to have to deal with. Even worse than replacing waterpumps and whatnot in SimCity 3000 when they age.

It’s really not a big deal. Just do it when you first set them down and if you forget to change them as your population grows then the teachers/doctors/whatever will strike and the game will prompt you. Just up the budget then

Also as he mentioned you only need to do it at the beginning. There are other things to micro manage but it’s pretty easy really

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Scaling is a tricky thing in citybuilders. At a certain level you need to be able to deal with issues without having to micromanage, while having precision tools when necessary. It all depends on having consistent design philosophy and a clear idea of what minimum and maximum scales you want.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

I remember they removed Sim Broadway from the soundtrack in SC3K Unlimited, which is a shame because it's the best.

No kidding? Hm, I'll have to dig out my CD and get the darn thing back.

e: I guess it was removed from the U's CD image back in the day, cuz I ain't got it.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 22, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

Oh yeah thats bullshit

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
any SC4 masters in this thread know of any good plugins to get some more industrial variety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The SC2K re-release for Windows 95 that included the urban renewal kit and a shitload of alternate tilesets was so good and I miss the era of PC games that were totally happy to run windowed like that