Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

fuckin' Edgelord

He walks between the raindrops!

FINALLY got to watch this season. And it was great. So many good lines in this season. Small Bunyan and his Big Blue Ox... dance parties... "I gotta get self-centered...." "I have to touch you!" "He's dressed like a rest stop straingler!" Then there were the many visual gags, like seeing Tick get thrashed around like a rag doll, reminiscent of his fight with Evil Clone Tick on the animated series ("The Tick vs. The Uncommon Cold").

Few things will top that arm wrestling machine. I mean, c'mon, Tick actually says, "that is over the top!" My wife and I about died when he said that. (And if you don't get that reference, shame on you and go and watch every Sylvester Stallone movie until you do get it.)

I really hope we get a third season. I want to see some more of that monster in the black hole in T. Rathbone's chest. And I think really delving into Dot's character was a great move. She's turning into quite a badass, and she doesn't let her official, card-carrying superhero brother protect her. Even though he tries. She develops her own powers and isn't dependent on Overkill to protect her, either... even though he tries. And I love that she used her favor to undo the Tick's "no kill rule" favor.

When the next season of Venture Bros. comes out in 2024, I hope we get that crazy doctor saying, "Ever since The Tick, everybody wants-a the black hole heart!"

They did a good job making a believable world in which superheroes and supervillains are just a part of our everyday life. And, there was a good blend of drama in with the comedy. I had some good belly laughs, but the dramatic moments really landed well, too. That's not easy to do. Bravo!

I couldn't tell what the voice at the end was saying. I just went back to check it out again... are we 100% positive it wasn't, "LAXATIVE LOG?"

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think the big problem with this show, and all shows, is that when it's all released at once, it's hard to not binge-watch, and when you do that and the show is really good, you end up forgetting half of the stuff you really enjoyed because you can only take in so much at once. There's something to be said for doling out the episodes one-per-week.

Someone said something about the "hotel" joke... what joke was that?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Lint hunkered down at the Lei-Lo hotel after the Terror's mess.

Lei-Lo hotel.

Lay low hotel.

Oh! I didn't notice Lint doing that, but I did love that the hotel was called the "lay low" hotel. It's the hotel where the bad guys lay.

Low.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Had two teeth pulled today, so I have been re-streaming last season.

Walter's fascination with superheroes makes so much sense now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Good interview, but I think he's mixing up Jackson Publick and Doc Hammer. He refers to Chris McCulloch and Jackson Publick as different people, but they're the same person.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When exactly does arthur's left eye goggle get cracked?

It was in later episode; I re-watched and it was fine for most of the episodes. I'll figure it out.

... Upon this re-watch, I picked up on some references.

The Mole Men were mentioned. I really wish they would have worked in some variant of "THE LIGHT! OUR EYES! THE LIGHT IS TOO MUCH FOR OUR HUGE, UNDERDEVELOPED, SUBTERRANEAN EYES!"

Again, "That [arm wrestling machine] is Over the Top!"

I still need to figure out what that symbol is that Thrakkorzog draws to resurrect Rathbone.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Whalley posted:

That's why in the cartoon, Speak is an awful capybara, but in the show, he's essentially Alex Jones.

I swear, the first thing I thought when I saw that talking dog was, "I'll call you 'Speak' because that's what you do!"

That, and there was a talking dog in the cartoon, I think. In the sidekick's lounge. Oh man, why couldn't we get The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight on the Amazon series? I'd love that! Who'd play him, though... Bobcat Goldthwait from 1989?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I like that they've turned Dot from a character whose sole purpose is to be the 100% normal, straight-laced sibling to the co-lead protagonist, a guy who wants to be in the superhero game and suddenly can be thanks to a super-suit and a nigh-invulnerable superhero who has inexplicably imprinted on him. Instead of just being a contrast point, like the little heart some women put on their bodies to gauge how deep their tan is, she's a well-rounded character and full-on badass. Well, a badass in training, but that's badder of an rear end than I was expecting when this all began. I thought she'd be a caretaker-type who is constantly pulling Arthur back toward normalcy, but she's not.

Hell, for a while, I was worried that she'd just follow her brother, but no, she's branching out with someone else, and her methods are not at all what Arthur's are. And they gave her a legit superpower, which is cool.

I like how in the first season, she was trying to be the protective big sister to her supposedly mentally-ill brother who was clearly getting in over his head. This season, Arthur decides to try and be the big brother, as he thinks he's got a handle on how this lifestyle works, and Dot is doing something very different.

If we get a Season 3, I wonder where they'll go with her.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They should just take the cast and do an animated S3 at adult swim to make the long wait between venture brothers seasons bearable.

We need to make this happen now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think someone either here or elsewhere summed the reason that the show as doomed best: The Tick was "Fix It In Post: The Series!"

It was just too expensive. And that's why we can't have nice things. It certainly didn't help that they didn't advertise Season 2 very well at all, especially in comparison to the hype for Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I think Overkill was probably responsible for like 50% of the times I laughed outloud.

It was like he was looking for some place to keep his knife, and no place was good enough.