Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Farewell 2018-19 NHL regular season, you sucked. All the playoff spots are locked up, so for the rest of us it means a long gruelling summer refreshing TSN and Capfriendly deluding ourselves into thinking better days are ahead. Welcome Habs fans, no one really feels sorry for you guys.

Important Dates

Draft Lottery - April 9, 2019 at 8:00 p.m. EST - This is a one hour television special for some unfathomable reason

2019 NHL Entry Draft - June 21, 2019 (1st Round) & June 22, 2019 (Rounds 2-7)

Free Agency Interview Period Begins - June 23, 2019 Hey! They finally decided on a date

Free Agency Opens - July 1, 2019

Idle speculation about absolutely nothing just to fill time July 3 - September 10, 2019

What Acne Riddled Teenager Should I obsess over now?

Jack Hughes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBy5Syj_ttA

Kaapo Kakko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHb3br6kPIM

Everyone else is kinda meh.

So What do I do Now?

Just refresh Tankathon until Tuesday evening so you can get that momentary shot of joy that has eluded you all year when your team comes out on top of the RNG. There's nothing else to do.

Capfriendly has an Armchair GM feature if you want to play make believe.

Otherwise, just post here and commiserate with your fellow sad sack franchise fans. It helps.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

sportsgenius86 posted:

PLAYOFFS BITCH

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
if phil housley isnt fired by tuesday im going to absolutely lose my mind

also, there's like 8 guys after hughes and kakko that are all pretty drat good prospects and all relatively evenly ranked. calling them "meh" is wrong IMO. it also makes predicting anyone outside of the top 2 impossible, which means the beginning of the draft is going to be wild

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Friedman on his 31 thoughts podcast this week said he got the sense that if the Oilers win the lottery again there is support among GM's to alter the lottery rules.
Imagine being that bad, not even intentionally, that you alter the way the league assigns draft positions.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

Friedman on his 31 thoughts podcast this week said he got the sense that if the Oilers win the lottery again there is support among GM's to alter the lottery rules.
Imagine being that bad, not even intentionally, that you alter the way the league assigns draft positions.

Not once but twice. The league expanded the lottery to all non playoff teams in response to the Oilers winning three times in a row and then tanking for McDavid.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Who had the most disappointing year? Maybe I put too many expectations on a 35-year old Kovalchuk. Jamie Benn nearly lost me a hockey pool! My expectation that Tarasenko would have a 40/40 season is pretty much done.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/SpiritHockey/status/1114570803373314050

congrats t-bone

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Right now Vancouver is in 9th. Guarantees a big shake up when 3 teams ranked 10-15 get to draft top 3 because it wouldn't be a draft lottery without the Canucks dropping hard.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Blackhawks are going to draft either first or second and the outrage from other fans will fuel me for the entire offseason.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

Who had the most disappointing year? Maybe I put too many expectations on a 35-year old Kovalchuk. Jamie Benn nearly lost me a hockey pool! My expectation that Tarasenko would have a 40/40 season is pretty much done.

keller or dylan strome

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

hifi posted:

keller or dylan strome

I was thinking Keller, but I feel that when he's inevitably traded from Arizona, he'll put up the offense he was meant to put up.

Strome was nearly a PPG player in Chicago...after being traded from Arizona.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I think I've ordered this in New York before

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T-Bone posted:

I think I've ordered this in New York before

Are you him?

Also, i hope his nickname is "surf and turf"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
McDavid breaking his leg in a meaningless game 82 is just peak oilers

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The start and the very last game were ok for the Devils, the other 76 games inbetween sucked dire rear end.

Wonder what Shero is going to do really, there's a handful of good young talent but risking it all on them is going to be suicide. Blackwood is the only positive I take from this season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I heard Connor was a big old baby who started wailing to high heaven and telling anyone who'd listen he'd broken his leg when he'd just bashed his shin.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wippersnapper posted:

Right now Vancouver is in 9th. Guarantees a big shake up when 3 teams ranked 10-15 get to draft top 3 because it wouldn't be a draft lottery without the Canucks dropping hard.

Isn't one of the things Benning is halfway decent at is draft scouting?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

Isn't one of the things Benning is halfway decent at is draft scouting?

He's 2/4 on top six picks and has one guy from outside the first round who's a regular player on the Canucks, so not really.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
How did people trick themselves into thinking Benning was good at drafting

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

How did people trick themselves into thinking Benning was good at drafting

Like "defensively responsible," or "good in the room" if you say "great at drafting" enough about someone it becomes true regardless of any and all evidence to the contrary.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Boughner's out:

https://twitter.com/FlaPanthers/status/1114901332656316416

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

My money is on Quenville for the Florida job

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

clean ayers act posted:

Florida was too cheap to pay the dudes they shipped off to Vegas. NO WAY they're going to pay Quenville.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

clean ayers act posted:

Quenneville is apparently looking for a Cup contender, now or in the near future. I don't think Florida is that close.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arivia posted:

Quenneville is apparently looking for a Cup contender, now or in the near future. I don't think Florida is that close.

Definitely Buffalo. Please be Buffalo.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

man they're gonna suck for years to come, huh. firing boughner is great but all those other words are stupid as poo poo

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the oilers finished with 79 points and that was still their second best finish of the last 10 years

just lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Florida was too cheap to pay the dudes they shipped off to Vegas. NO WAY they're going to pay Quenville.

Tallon and Quenneville worked together in Chicago too and word is they're hot favourites to spend $20M on Bob and Panarin, so I could see it. Florida's ownership might have given Tallon carte blanche to spend to get back to the playoffs.

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1114926109257359360

There you go

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Friedge said on 30 thoughts that if either Buffalo or Edmonton win the draft lottery - the NHL will be changing the rules.

Guarantee that Chicago is somehow going to jump 9-10 spots to get next American star Jack Hughes and Buffalo goes to second to get Kakko.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1114927476797403136

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Hahaha did the Wild really finish below the Hawks to claim last in the Central? Jeez

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

Tallon and Quenneville worked together in Chicago too and word is they're hot favourites to spend $20M on Bob and Panarin, so I could see it. Florida's ownership might have given Tallon carte blanche to spend to get back to the playoffs.

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1114926109257359360

There you go

Welp imma go outside and find some crow I guess. Florida must be super confident about landing Bread and Bob which even then I still wouldn't say they're favorites for the division.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Bread and Bob go to Florida and then Columbus overpays like hell for Jonathan Quick oh please oh please oh please

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Canucks scored a grand total of one more goal than they did last season.

They didn't take steps forward this year, Jacob Markstrom just decided to become a top 5 goalie in the world from December onwards.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Yaya posted:

The Canucks scored a grand total of one more goal than they did last season.

They didn't take steps forward this year, Jacob Markstrom just decided to become a top 5 goalie in the world from December onwards.

Pettersson replaced the goal-scoring production of the Sedins on his own.

MaoistBanker posted:

Bread and Bob go to Florida and then Columbus overpays like hell for Jonathan Quick oh please oh please oh please

Even if someone trades for that contract ain't nobody overpaying for it.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

MaoistBanker posted:

Friedge said on 30 thoughts that if either Buffalo or Edmonton win the draft lottery - the NHL will be changing the rules.

Guarantee that Chicago is somehow going to jump 9-10 spots to get next American star Jack Hughes and Buffalo goes to second to get Kakko.

lol, buffalo has won the lottery once despite being loving terrible for 10 years now. edmonton has picked 1st overall 4 times over the same time frame largely because of the dumb draft rules. but naturally the NHL will conclude that this is all the fault of bad organizations and not the lovely loving decisions made by league brass.

whatever they change the lottery to will be worse than what is in place now, i have no doubt in my mind

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
btw, it's been reported multiple times that the NHL stepped in to guide the pegula's in their last GM search and the league thought jason botterill was a solid choice. what a surprise to find out he Sucks loving rear end and has made the team noticeably worse in virtually every way. better change draft rules because we give terrible advice

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1114936271003115520

Congrats Sabres fans

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Lotta coach firings this season (and just after the season)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
gently caress YES BOTTERILL

NOW FIRE YOURSELF