Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iospace posted:

Yeah, he's on the Oilers.

Also what the gently caress happened to the Devils this year? They dropped 25 points compared to last year

Corey Schneider is finished.

Edit: Actually he's been cooked for 3 seasons so I guess it's not that. drat what a fall.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Aphrodite posted:

Corey Schneider is finished.

Edit: Actually he's been cooked for 3 seasons so I guess it's not that. drat what a fall.

It’s the kucherov curse. And hall has a raging case of it this year.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I’m actually surprised that McDavid doesn’t get hurt like that more often flying down the wing and cutting to the front of the net with a defender draped all over him with how loving fast he is coming in. After seeing current teammate Brandon Manning tripping him into the end boards in his rookie season I figured it was going to be a regular occurrence.

Glad I was wrong though, watching him play live is incredible

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I still have no idea what McDavid was thinking by grabbing Giordano's stick on that play.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

I’m actually surprised that McDavid doesn’t get hurt like that more often flying down the wing and cutting to the front of the net with a defender draped all over him with how loving fast he is coming in. After seeing current teammate Brandon Manning tripping him into the end boards in his rookie season I figured it was going to be a regular occurrence.

Glad I was wrong though, watching him play live is incredible

It is honestly only a matter of time when you're flying around like that. Happened to Sid, happened to Stamkos, happened to Malkin. I don't know if they just come back slower or they learn how much it loving hurts to slam into a metal post at full speed and don't want to do it again

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Kings talking to McLellan, apparently. He just really loves the division, I guess.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It is honestly only a matter of time when you're flying around like that. Happened to Sid, happened to Stamkos, happened to Malkin. I don't know if they just come back slower or they learn how much it loving hurts to slam into a metal post at full speed and don't want to do it again

Happened to Yzerman in the playoffs in 88 too. He was never able to run again

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

What are the chances Jim Benning gets fired this year?

Zilch

https://twitter.com/fr_aquilini/status/1115000354566025223

I mean he fired Linden 9 months ago for saying this was going to be a rebuilding year, but yeah who cares. Benning stays.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 7, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Habibi posted:

Kings talking to McLellan, apparently. He just really loves the division, I guess.

If I'd spent the last three and half years in Edmonton I'd be looking for a job somewhere sunny as well.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blues announcers kept talking about how improved the Canucks were (no evidence provided), so it seems the common wisdom among the Old Guard types are that Benning is actually doing a Good Job.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Blues announcers kept talking about how improved the Canucks were (no evidence provided), so it seems the common wisdom among the Old Guard types are that Benning is actually doing a Good Job.

That seems to be the case, but holy hell is this team ever riddled with problems. Pettersson starting the year at meteoric levels really warped people's perspectives of him and the future of the team. He's been a middling first liner since November and the team has struggled accordingly. The team also didn't improve in any real way. They were 0-10 in shootouts last year (somehow) and 6-6 this year but only improved by 8 points. Add 4 points to the team last year and does anyone act like this team is any better?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I have beer league hockey on the 9th starting at 8:25, I hope when my game is over I will see the New York Rangers drafting first overall.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Zilch

https://twitter.com/fr_aquilini/status/1115000354566025223

I mean he fired Linden 9 months ago for saying this was going to be a rebuilding year, but yeah who cares. Benning stays.

Boy are there a lot of hot takes in the replies to this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

That seems to be the case, but holy hell is this team ever riddled with problems. Pettersson starting the year at meteoric levels really warped people's perspectives of him and the future of the team. He's been a middling first liner since November and the team has struggled accordingly. The team also didn't improve in any real way. They were 0-10 in shootouts last year (somehow) and 6-6 this year but only improved by 8 points. Add 4 points to the team last year and does anyone act like this team is any better?

Uh... no Gudbranson?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

grack posted:

Uh... no Gudbranson?

No he's good now, remember?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

No he's good now, remember?

I have faith that won't last.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Virtanen seems like he could break out at any moment, right?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Virtanen seems like he could break out at any moment, right?

He'll only break out after they trade him for say... McCann and Gudbranson

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Virtanen's not a total bust, but he's a long shot to live up to his draft position at this point.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
https://twitter.com/MikeKellyNHL/status/1115032631496908801

the answer is that I am very pumped about mr. quintin hughes

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

dude's slick. is there a site that tracks these? I'd like to see how much better dahlin is than every other sabre D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

grack posted:

Uh... no Gudbranson?

Him being traded was the highlight of the season. It's odd, because I think the games have been more entertaining this year.
There's still some odd coaching decisions going on. Edler on a clearly stagnant PP. The constant scratching of Goldobin. That Gudbranson *never* got scratched/benched/fired into the sun. Horvat constant playing with crappy line-mates in order to drag them up.
I'd also preferred to see Demko getting more games once it becamse clear that they weren't going to the play-offs.

I would like to think that next year will be better, but there's still Sutter, Eriksson, Spooner, Beagle contracts to deal with.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/1115103456069472256

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
huh. you would think from tychkowski's tweets that they were about to amputate his leg

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

huh. you would think from tychkowski's tweets that they were about to amputate his leg

I wouldn't rule that out just yet. Wouldn't it make more sense for the Oilers to spread McDavid's speed throughout the lineup?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 8, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I would like to think that next year will be better, but there's still Sutter, Eriksson, Spooner, Beagle contracts to deal with.

There is a bit of hope on the stupid vet contracts. The full NTC on Sutter's contract becomes a limited NTC this year, so he could potentially be moved. Spooner only has one year left and he's probably movable if the Canucks are willing to retain and/or take a crappy return to get rid of him. Granlund isn't coming back, ditto for Schaller.

I'm not holding out much hope for getting rid of Eriksson, Beagle or Roussel, though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

grack posted:

There is a bit of hope on the stupid vet contracts. The full NTC on Sutter's contract becomes a limited NTC this year, so he could potentially be moved. Spooner only has one year left and he's probably movable if the Canucks are willing to retain and/or take a crappy return to get rid of him. Granlund isn't coming back, ditto for Schaller.

I'm not holding out much hope for getting rid of Eriksson, Beagle or Roussel, though.

Also he looks okay so far but I wouldn't be surprised if Benning overpays for a Luke Schenn extension later

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

It only made his shin stronger, now he'll be skating even faster!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panthers couldn’t even wait til 12 to announce the news, Quenneville confirmed.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Flyers twitter is having a slight meltdown

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I knew there was no chance he would come to Buffalo, but a guy can dream.

I hope Botterill waits until after the playoffs to hire somebody in case a team that gets knocked out fires their coach or something.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://twitter.com/flapanthers/status/1115222786300096513?s=21

Notice how the Q has a moustache

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I knew there was no chance he would come to Buffalo, but a guy can dream.

I hope Botterill waits until after the playoffs to hire somebody in case a team that gets knocked out fires their coach or something.

Toronto sports media is already baying for Babcock's head, it's absurd.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Arivia posted:

Did he forget to ask Steve Simmons about his family at a press conference this year?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Excited to see Q drag the fancycats to the 1st spot out of the playoffs

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wow, Chicago even finds a way to put its unwanted coaches on an escrow team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TBF that has to be the easiest pitch in the world. "Hey Q, wanna coach a team that has zero expectations, zero media coverage, and no state income tax?" This is basically him going on cruise control until retirement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There might literally be cruises involved.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Arivia posted:

He's fundamentally not suited for the roster he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Babcock's got his issues as a head coach but that roster is built to score a ton of goals and allow a ton of goals.