Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
These are Asus Xonar STX and a EMU 1212M audio cards, both are PCI cards. Modern mobos have no more PCI slots and I was wondering if anyone had tried one of the PCIe to PCI adapter thingys like so:

https://www.amazon.com/Sintech-PCI-Express-Riser-Extender/dp/B00KZHDSLQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=pcie+to+pci&qid=1554563195&s=electronics&sr=1-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
I've never used one of them, but PCIe is essentially PCI under the hood, so I'd expect it to work just fine. I'd probably look at something with a more convenient form factor (and better known company) like this: https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card~PEX1PCI1

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Minus Pants posted:

I've never used one of them, but PCIe is essentially PCI under the hood, so I'd expect it to work just fine. I'd probably look at something with a more convenient form factor (and better known company) like this: https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Slot-Extension/PCI-Express-to-PCI-Adapter-Card~PEX1PCI1

I thought pci and pcie were fundamentally totally different

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

HalloKitty posted:

They are. But those Startech things have bridge chips in them to handle the conversion. I've used one for some legacy interface cards running extremely old HVAC gear and they worked fine. Can only support half-height cards though, that might get you with a sound card.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm ok, so it should theoretically work. I need something different than that half height thing since my sound cards are full height.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

If you've got the clearance and are ok with carving up the case a bit you could make it work. I can also see a couple external PCI enclosures that would do the job, but that's very niche and they're coming in around $300.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah no way, not carving my case up :( Ugh, Maybe Ill get one of the adapters with an extension pci-e thingy and just build a little rig outside my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Physically they are completely different, but the logical protocol is backwards compatible. My point was just that it's a straightforward conversion.