Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

When ROH and New Japan announced a joint show at The Most Famous Arena In The World last year, the Big Trump Fundraiser originally tried to shut it down before quickly realizing that ROH's evil media conglomerate had way more money and better lawyers than their evil media conglomerate. So they backed down, leading to the first non-WWE wrestling show in the Garden since 1960.

Things took quite a few twists and turns from there. Tickets sold out almost instantly, largely driven by the drawing power of The Elite before they hosed off to form their own wrestling promotion backed by powerful shady billionaires. Then, with only a couple weeks to go and the card looking shaky at best, New Japan sighed, drew their katana, and booked a handful of killer singles matches that elevated this show from "could be pretty fun" to "absolute must-see."

The show is headlined by IWGP champion Jay White, just as everyone predicted when this show was first announced. He'll be defending the title against New Japan Cup winner Okada, who should go back to the long boys but is otherwise a perfect wrestler and good boy all around. If he doesn't win I will be very sad.

The ROH title was originally going to be Lethal/Scurll, then Matt Taven went to a 60-minute draw at the Anniversary show :psyduck: and he got added to this match. It's also a ladder match for reasons.

Down the card, there's a ton of awesome poo poo on New Japan's side, and then the tag teams are in a bizarre four-way with both companies' belts on the line, and it's winner take all, and a non-champ could pin a non-champ and win all the belts which I hope happens for the Twitter meltdowns. Could be a good match tho.

Also Bully Ray was set for an open challenge, which got everybody excited for a Minoru Suzuki murder. Then they spoiled it on Twitter with Juice Robinson accepting the challenge. I like Juice but, whatevs. You do you, ROH booking.

Iwatani and Kelly Klein will be wrestling for like the 852nd time in a row. ROH's women's division continues to underwhelm. The good news is that there's a STARDOM match on the pre-show which you shouldn't miss.

Oh and there's the three-way junior match, which looks awesome as poo poo.

On paper, this has potential to be the show of the weekend, even with NXT and DDT already setting a high bar. However we got here, it's New Japan, it's MSG, they're almost certainly going to deliver something special. And I guess the ROH guys won't gently caress it up too much, that ladder match still looks pretty fun.

START TIME: 7:30 p.m. ET, pre-show begins at 6:30 p.m.
WAYS TO WATCH: PPV, NJPW World, Honor Club, FITE TV

THE CARD

(For a full match-by-match breakdown, check out VOW)

Jay White(c) vs. Kazuchika Okada, IWGP Heavyweight Championship
Jay Lethal(c) vs. Marty Scurll vs. Matt Taven, Ladder Match for the ROH World Championship
Tetsuya Naito(c) vs. Kota Ibushi, IWGP Intercontinental Championship
Zack Sabre Jr.(c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, RevPro British Heavyweight Championship
Guerillas of Destiny(c) vs. PCO & Brody King(c) vs. The Briscoes vs. EVIL & SANADA, Winner Take All for IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship & ROH Tag Team Championship
Taiji Ishimori(c) vs. Dragon Lee vs. Bandido, IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
Bully Ray vs. Juice Robinson, New York Street Fight
Mayu Iwatani(c) vs. Kelly Klein, Women of Honor Championship
Dalton Castle vs. Rush
Jeff Cobb(c) vs. Will Ospreay(c), Winner Take All for IWGP NEVER Openweight Championship and ROH TV Championship

Pre-show
Honor Rumble (confirmed entries: Jushin Thunder Liger, Kenny King, PJ Black, Beer City Bruiser, Brian Milanos, Cheeseburger, Tracy Williams, Jonathan Gresham, Rhett Titus, LSG, Shaheem Ali)
STARDOM 6-woman tag match: Kagetsu, Jenny Rose, & Hazuki vs. Hana Kimura, Stella Grey, & Sumie Sakai

Benne fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

poast

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
just

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what's the most super card there ever was.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Cavauro posted:

what's the most super card there ever was.

WW2

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The word "tomahawk" comes from a Native American word to describe an ax that can be used as either a handy tool or a dangerous weapon. Similar to a tomahawk, religion can be used either for a tremendously positive impact on lives or, in the wrong hands, for great harm. The community of Tomahawk would experience the wrong use of religion in this bizarre story of a cult ritual turned deadly.

On February 8, 1933, local law enforcement heard concerns from neighbors of screaming and other loud noises coming from a nearby residence. The responding officers broke into a barred up cabin in Tomahawk and discovered the body of 72-year-old Lucinda Mills. Mrs. Mills had been killed at the hands of her own son, John H. Mills, in a bizarre human sacrifice.

The events leading up to Lucinda Mills murder began the week prior with the family engaging in prayer, fasting and speaking in tongues. As the ritual escalated, Mrs. Mills volunteered to be used as a human sacrifice to show they had power over death in the name of God. As the rest of the family were singing and dancing, John Mills used a chain to strangle his mother to death. The family was planning to put the body of Mrs. Mills on a cross-shaped altar then set on fire to have it presented as a "burnt offering" to God.

The police came crashing through the door just prior to the burning of Lucinda Mills body. The scene they discovered upon entering was John Mills still on top of his mother in her bed; another son, Fred Mills, at the foot of the bed reading the Bible; and Lucinda's two daughters dancing and singing on a nearby table. A further investigation of the crime scene led to the arrest of the two sons, two daughters, two son-in-laws, a daughter-in-law and a grandson in the murder.

Upon questioning, the family members claimed to have the ability to perform miracles - from converting water into wine to turning sticks into snakes (similar to what took place in Exodus 7:8-13 in the Bible.) They further stated that they were obeying a "divine command" to offer someone up as a human sacrifice. The family members chanted and prayed for deliverance while in custody but that was a prayer that wasn't answered. John Mills was eventually convicted and sentenced to life in prison in the slaying. - Shane

I don't mean to be flippant but the first thing that popped in my head when I read this was the chorus to the Garth Brooks song, "sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers..." It is a stark reminder that religious beliefs come in all shapes and sizes so it pays to not accept anyone else's version at face value without questioning. A personal relationship with God is just that, personal, and if you don't believe me then you should believe 1 Corinthians 2:5 in your Bible, "That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God."

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i may have dinner plans tonight that keep me from watching this live, and i am pretending to not be super bummed out to miss it

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Hyped for the top of the card hope the rest is fun.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I have to pick up a new car in the middle of this and I'm annoyed. I know you can pause and resume the live stream on browsers but I'm not sure it works on the phone app I've been using to Chromecast. Ah well, odds are I'll catch all the big matches.

Live wrestling!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's not a bad card but that PPV price on Fite is outrageous

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

gently caress yeah I'm excited for this show. Nice to be able to watch it when its live.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 6, 2019

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I love wrestleweekend

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's not a bad card but that PPV price on Fite is outrageous

Get NJPWworld instead, it's like nine dollars.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Draxion posted:

Get NJPWworld instead, it's like nine dollars.
price fluctuates by exchange rates, last month i paid $8.98.

everyone should sub to njpw world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't it included in the ROH HonorClub thing too? Why would anyone buy it on Fite unless they had credit?
Also main card in 2.5 hours from this post, right? Time zones are a bitch at this time of year.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

It's amazing that they sold out MSG and their app Still, Still either doesn't exist (Roku, Apple TV, Game Consoles etc) or is unbelievably poo poo Fire TV.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't it included in the ROH HonorClub thing too? Why would anyone buy it on Fite unless they had credit?
Also main card in 2.5 hours from this post, right? Time zones are a bitch at this time of year.

yes and preshow is in an hour

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I am hyped for NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING, and the hero of the proletariat and future prime minster of the Republic of Britain ZACK SABRE JR to best the old and out of touch monarchist known as Hiroshi Tanahashi.

edit: Also, I guess an ROH show is going to happen, that seems cool. There are some cool guys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Real talk, everyone seems to assume ZSJ is winning because "Tana can't be the British champ, he won't work York Hall shows" as if NJPW isn't doing a show in Stratford in 3 months.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gaz-L posted:

Real talk, everyone seems to assume ZSJ is winning because "Tana can't be the British champ, he won't work York Hall shows" as if NJPW isn't doing a show in Stratford in 3 months.

Yeah I don't get that logic, NJPW guys do random UK tours all the time whether they're holding a title or not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
:perfect: I couldn't get a picture but someone here has a Dennis Rodman NWO shirt :perfect:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If you're watching on World you should probably get in ASAP, they uh, don't sound so confident

https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1114640127257665542
https://twitter.com/njpwworld/status/1114640259080445954

quote:

【 Notice 】 the "G1 SUPERCARD" is expected to load on the server for access concentration immediately after the start of the game. Please wait while you log in as soon as possible and play the video. Thank you for your cooperation! #njpwworld #ROH #njpw #g1supercard

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Glad I checked in on this thread, got the stream on now.

This is probably going to do their highest numbers of all time considering its their first major show on at a reasonable time for their western audience.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'll be using Fite since they honor Honor Club and I forgot to cancel my renewal. I expect that will be solid.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
So the pre show starts at 630, or the show does? Seems like the pre show right now

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Honor Rumble at 6:30, Main Card at 7:30

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

I like how the gmt, time is out by an hour as they forgot about the clock change.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Is the Stardom match being televised or is that just a treat for the fans getting in early? I expect the Rumble to take up the full hour of the pre-show.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Enjoying NJPW's humourous crowd rules video on the stream right now.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Benne posted:

Is the Stardom match being televised or is that just a treat for the fans getting in early? I expect the Rumble to take up the full hour of the pre-show.

I forget where I read it (probably the ROH thread, maybe), but I understand the stardom tag is being taped for ROH TV (or the Women of Honor YouTube)

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Le Saboteur posted:

Enjoying NJPW's humourous crowd rules video on the stream right now.

So good

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I'm just glad that Liger has a new career ready for after his retirement.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Justice Thunder Liger is such a great gimmick. My favorite part is the hole that was cut in the hat for the top of mask.

edit: Oh gently caress, the english language here is surprisingly loving jarring.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 6, 2019

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I love the moments that remind me that njpw is still Japanese in that delightfully batshit way.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This Taguchi Japan video not being subbed is a crime. All Taguchi content needs to be subbed

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Tried to get on the stream and it is death already.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I've been watching puro in Japanese for like 20 years and I still barely know anything but the most superficial Japanese.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
BUZZ

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I'm sorry I can't feel the buzz. I'm too busy breathing with the switchblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Man, I've never seen the stream hiccup this badly for me. Had to switch from my Xbone to my computer to watch this and it's still hanging occasionally.

karmicknight posted:

I'm sorry I can't feel the buzz. I'm too busy breathing with the switchblade.

You'll be feeling the BUZZ when Buzzy Ray churns out yet another 5* classic.