Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think it's a 100% certain that Shota is not going to go on excursion to ROH now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Do not even ask posted:

roh copying 2007 era TNA booking is the most mindboggling poo poo

Someone has put Dixie Carter under the Delirious mask, no one has just noticed until now because he also wasn't great.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

Benne posted:

Yeah this probably pisses me off the most. They had a guaranteed mega pop with Tana making his MSG debut and the crowd chanting GO ACE, but instead everyone was looking at their phones trying to figure out the Enzo/Cass bullshit. Complete hatchet job, I'd be pissed if I was the NJPW office.

While that is valid (and gently caress those guys) I feel like a lot of it could be attributed to ZSJ who in my opinion was a pretty safe bet on winning that match. Which then takes any of the heat out of it. Besides, anyone who has seen a ZSJ match knows exactly what to expect and by about hour 3.5, no one wants to see that poo poo. To me, I wouldn't want to see it an hour in *shrug* Book him with a better opponent if you want a better reaction.

I Before E posted:

If you've got three guys talking for five and a half hours, you'll want someone to help take the load off after a while so they're not dead by the main event

This. Good point. Thanks.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I bet all you people that bashed Cornette's ROH feel pretty stupid now. :smug:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Demtor posted:

While that is valid (and gently caress those guys) I feel like a lot of it could be attributed to ZSJ who in my opinion was a pretty safe bet on winning that match. Which then takes any of the heat out of it. Besides, anyone who has seen a ZSJ match knows exactly what to expect and by about hour 3.5, no one wants to see that poo poo. To me, I wouldn't want to see it an hour in *shrug* Book him with a better opponent if you want a better reaction.

what the gently caress

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Did someone come into this house and disparage the good name of Zack Sabre Jr.

What the gently caress.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

what the gently caress

It's like this guy doesn't even know when Zack Sabre Time is

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Demtor posted:

This. Good point. Thanks.

ZSJ's entrance got a pop because people were getting back into it and the match won the crowd back. The Enzo and Cass poo poo mostly just caused Tana to come out to a confused crowd instead of the Jesus pop he should be getting.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

what a rollercoaster.

Still breathing with the Switchblade, but goddamn I love Okada too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

Yeah this probably pisses me off the most. They had a guaranteed mega pop with Tana making his MSG debut and the crowd chanting GO ACE, but instead everyone was looking at their phones trying to figure out the Enzo/Cass bullshit. Complete hatchet job, I'd be pissed if I was the NJPW office.

The loving bizarre thing about this is that they could've had Taka come out and rev the crowd up first but for I think the literal first time EVER in the entire year Taka has been doing this, he came out second instead of doing his promo and then going "HIROSHI TANAHASHI COME ON OVA HEEEAAAAAAAA"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

When having defending champions come out second goes wrong

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

karmicknight posted:

Did someone come into this house and disparage the good name of Zack Sabre Jr.

What the gently caress.

Not only disparaging ZSJ but Hiroshi loving Tanahashi as well

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Demtor posted:

you need jesus ZACK SABRE TIME

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think it's a 100% certain that Shota is not going to go on excursion to ROH now

What are some notable ROH excursions? I know Sho & Yoh, White, and EVIL were all there (though I've seen a bunch of people scoff at how they did jack poo poo with EVIL) but it seems like most of the recent successful ones were all to CMLL.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

Not only disparaging ZSJ but Hiroshi loving Tanahashi as well

I'm assuming he meant "book Tanahashi against a better opponent" and just hosed up

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I Before E posted:

I'm assuming he meant "book Tanahashi against a better opponent" and just hosed up

you're drat right he hosed up!!!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Enzo and Cass? Seriously, ROH?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Look, ZSJ has grown on me over the last year but he’s an opener for an extremely American crowd at MSG. Especially a card with so many starts/stops because of dumb ROH booking

I was there live and people wanted to be into it, but it was just a completely misplaced match. Would’ve popped hard as a follow up to Ospreay/Cobb

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

you need jesus ZACK SABRE TIME

What are some notable ROH excursions? I know Sho & Yoh, White, and EVIL were all there (though I've seen a bunch of people scoff at how they did jack poo poo with EVIL) but it seems like most of the recent successful ones were all to CMLL.

Hiromu worked both ROH and CMLL on excursion

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I mean, I get why that match was where it was on the card: Tanahashi going on early would also be heavily criticized.

I'm willing to chalk it up to crowd confusion at whatever the gently caress that was prior to it.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
IBUSHI FUCKIN BURIED https://twitter.com/TheGarden/status/1114751468068843520?s=20 Edit: Just going to imagine Ibushi got lost on his way to the freight elevator and is now in Newark for some reason.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

I Before E posted:

Thanks. Yes, this... sorry for not being more clear. I am not a ZSJ fan and I stand by that. :colbert: Not saying others can't like him or his style but stop pretending that he isn't as polarizing as he is to American audiences.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Demtor posted:

Thanks. Yes, this... sorry for not being more clear. I am not a ZSJ fan and I stand by that. :colbert: Not saying others can't like him or his style but stop pretending that he isn't as polarizing as he is to American audiences.

Alright, as long as you aren't besmirching Our Lord and Savior Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's how you fix that "problem" (which they brought on themselves): Bring out TAKA first to do his spiel, maybe tell him to go Japanese while the crowd looks at their phones, do the "JUST TAP OUT, COME ON OVAH HEEEAAH" and then hit Tana's music to get people fired up again.

Or better yet, book the tag match earlier if the bosses are insisting on an Enzo angle and get Tana's match far away from it.

Wrestling is only hard if you make it hard.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If the Enzo thing was in fact planned, not only was it stupid, it was poorly executed.

That seems like a good tagline for ROH's contribution to the show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think you can count on one hand Worked shoots that actually have worked in the modern age and weren't double crosses like Takada KOing Kitao

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Demtor posted:

I was going to make a snarky comment but I'm actually genuinely curious, is this really the case? I've always been fairly neutral on technical wrestling, sometimes a couple minutes of hold exchanges at the start of a match are fun but to me not much more than that. I also find Bret Hart super boring. Yet I don't think I've ever watched a Zack match in NJPW I didn't love to pieces. Nothing he does is a rest hold, he's almost as exciting to me as Ibushi or the Junior Heavyweights.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

TriffTshngo posted:

I was going to make a snarky comment but I'm actually genuinely curious, is this really the case? I've always been fairly neutral on technical wrestling, sometimes a couple minutes of hold exchanges at the start of a match are fun but to me not much more than that. I also find Bret Hart super boring. Yet I don't think I've ever watched a Zack match in NJPW I didn't love to pieces. Nothing he does is a rest hold, he's almost as exciting to me as Ibushi or the Junior Heavyweights.

For a large, mostly drunk crowd 3+ hours into an event, capital W wrestling like a ZSJ match usually doesn’t land super well from what I’ve experienced

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I think ZSJ is an acquired taste that not a ton of American fans have acquired. But I think if you're into what NJPW does you're into what ZSJ does. It's a sports style promotion with a guy who wrestles like a wrestler. Being there live I'd say ZSJ was really over but I did hear a couple scoffs at his style by people who seemed to be primarily RoH fans (they apparently exist).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Tomahawk posted:

For a large, mostly drunk crowd 3+ hours into an event, capital W wrestling like a ZSJ match usually doesn’t land super well from what I’ve experienced

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think ZSJ is an acquired taste that not a ton of American fans have acquired. But I think if you're into what NJPW does you're into what ZSJ does. It's a sports style promotion with a guy who wrestles like a wrestler. Being there live I'd say ZSJ was really over but I did hear a couple scoffs at his style by people who seemed to be primarily RoH fans (they apparently exist).

Both fair points.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Meltzer was wondering if the Tanahashi/ZSJ match would work in MSG cause of it being more technical but welp it started out cold cause of other reasons

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The ZSJ match did extremely well in my section once they started paying attention again, I was actually super impressed. Big pops for sequences heading into the finish. That Tana entrance was a bummer though.

Seems like 210 was a blessed section, though; everyone else seemed to be near the worst shitlords, especially on the floor.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What makes ZSJ stand out from the rest of the grapplefucky wrestlers is that he does his grapplefucking with a distinctly *pro wrestling* flair. Very few of his holds would work in a real fight, but he applies them with a confident showman style that makes you believe they hurt, and mixes in some stiff uppercuts and PK kicks to keep up a "tough guy" cred.

And let's not discount him joining Suzuki-gun, which gave his character a much-needed mean streak, and now he's just trying to loving rip people's limbs off, in turn giving his matches a visceral urgency they didn't have just a few years ago. I was a ZSJ doubter once upon a time, but he's won me over thoroughly the past year.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

What makes ZSJ stand out from the rest of the grapplefucky wrestlers is that he does his grapplefucking with a distinctly *pro wrestling* flair. Very few of his holds would work in a real fight, but he applies them with a confident showman style that makes you believe they hurt, and mixes in some stiff uppercuts and PK kicks to keep up a "tough guy" cred.

And let's not discount him joining Suzuki-gun, which gave his character a much-needed mean streak, and now he's just trying to loving rip people's limbs off, in turn giving his matches a visceral urgency they didn't have just a few years ago. I was a ZSJ doubter once upon a time, but he's won me over thoroughly the past year.

I hope they put him and Suzuki in the same block in the G1 and they fight for the leadership of Suzuki-gun

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Benne posted:

Yeah I suppose I haven't ever seen any of his earlier stuff, it'd probably be weird at this point going back to him not being a death octopus who grinds his elbow into peoples' ribcages and calls them dickheads backstage.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think part of the crowd deal is that the crowds here are starting to follow the NJPW home crowds a little more where they’re more subdued and pop for the big stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The crowd loved Tanahashi vs ZSJ by the end.

Awesome card overall, one of the best I've been to live.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

MassRafTer posted:

The crowd loved Tanahashi vs ZSJ by the end.

Awesome card overall, one of the best I've been to live.

So jealous you could see skipper win back his belt live

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Burn Down Canberra posted:

So jealous you could see skipper win back his belt live

Part of me wanted The Switchblade to win for being such a contemptible, hateable heel in TYOOL 2019 but gently caress that ruled.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think part of the crowd deal is that the crowds here are starting to follow the NJPW home crowds a little more where they’re more subdued and pop for the big stuff.

It was weird watching the crowd shift from loud American-style crowd for the ladder match to respectful Japanese-style crowd for the IWGP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

TriffTshngo posted:

Yeah I suppose I haven't ever seen any of his earlier stuff, it'd probably be weird at this point going back to him not being a death octopus who grinds his elbow into peoples' ribcages and calls them dickheads backstage.

Yeah I think a lot of people understate how much Sabre has grown in character work, and why he's so great now. You can go back to the Cruiserweight Classic just a few years ago and he's this generic smiling babyface who wants to out-wrestle opponents, as opposed to today where he wants to rip off their arm and beat Theresa May with it.