Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Since ancient times, rumors have abounded of man-eating demons lurking in the woods. Because of this, the local townsfolk never venture outside at night. Legend has it that a demon slayer also roams the night, hunting down these bloodthirsty demons. For young Tanjirou, these rumors will soon to become his harsh reality...

Ever since the death of his father, Tanjirou has taken it upon himself to support his family. Although their lives may be hardened by tragedy, they've found happiness. But that ephemeral warmth is shattered one day when Tanjirou finds his family slaughtered and the lone survivor, his sister Nezuko, turned into a demon. To his surprise, however, Nezuko still shows signs of human emotion and thought...

Thus begins Tanjirou's quest to fight demons and turn his sister human again.

(Source: VIZ Media)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2k7bfBeCw

Alder fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

aside from a little bad CG, it was a good opening episode

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just watched ep1. I love the manga, but I'll still be giving this the three episode test.
There's some CG in a few walking shots that looks a little stilted. While it isn't the most atrocious CG I've ever seen, I'm not a huge fan of it.

If it frees them up to make the fight animations cooler - like if they actually do the breath stylizing like the manga (it's in the OP at the end, so, probably?) - I'm in. Also, I guess this is a good way to refresh myself on the older bits of the story. Like, I totally forgot that it was Giyuu who found them.

E: I'm super sleepy and I wish I had something more substantive to say. I do like Tanjirou's VA so far, it seemed like he was going out of his way to sound very nice and young and innocent at the beginning of the story. I hope we get to see his voice evolve over the course of the anime, because if my memory serves me right it's not an insignificant amount of time that gets covered in the first few arcs.

Also, I did really like the animation of the fight scene with Giyuu. All three of them showed quite a bit of emotion during the fight and it was conveyed well, I think. I still do have pretty high hopes for the future fights.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 7, 2019

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was an extremely UFOtable looking show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ready to see a really good boy and his companions do their thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DwekhcvpH0

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh man, that is a much more adult voice than I was expecting for good boy Tanjiro.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Finally watched it. Looks great!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Character designer deserves a raise - those were some incredibly well-drawn faces in episode 1 IMO.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yo so if you're not down for The Adventures of My Sweet, Innocent Boy, you're a gosh darned dag nabbed fool.

Tanjiro is the best.:allears:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I wasn't into what fifteen-twenty chapters I read of the manga so I hope this can pull me back in, I like the premise a good amount!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the manga took a while to pull me in but I think the anime did a better job with the opening than the manga did. I'm pretty optimistic about this adaption atm

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

I wasn't into what fifteen-twenty chapters I read of the manga so I hope this can pull me back in, I like the premise a good amount!

dang, you quit just before the best character showed up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've wanted to read the manga for a while but I'm bad at starting things, so I went with the anime instead because the opening's really good and Ufotable is a good way to sell me a series.

I definitely enjoyed this first episode a lot. Maybe it'll get me reading the manga as well, if it keeps being this good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nezuko is a very good girl. The somehow understated soccer kick decapitation slayed me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show has an interesting, kinda dry sense of humor to it and I kinda dig it so far.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This was a pretty boss episode as well.

Sindai posted:

Nezuko is a very good girl. The somehow understated soccer kick decapitation slayed me.
That was so well-executed. I thought they were going to do the typical triple cut for that type of thing, but nah-- once it's more than enough. :allears:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There's a cute skit after the credits, so watch that preview.

Also, I feel like I need a gif of Nezuko popping her head out of that hole like a rabbit. "Where's Nezuko?!" *pop* "Oh, there she is."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One thing that I thought was lowkey hilarious was the casting for this episode: You get Hikaru Midorikawa, one of the most easily-recognizable voice actors from the past 3 decades to voice a character that gets taken down with relative ease and bites the big bullet before the first half of the episode is done. Hopefully we get something similar soon. :mmmhmm:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The series has a lot of tone shifts but they never feel wrong, so to speak. The comedy is great, the darkness is fuckin dark, the violence is violent. There's a lot of flying limbs and heads in this series and some particularly gory moments.

Also, Tanjirou is a very good boy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It feels weirdly paced and put together but overall I like what's going on.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh my God, it's even better than the manga :allears:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
really enjoying this! liking it more than manga right now if only because I like the slower pace where I thought the early bits of the manga I read moved a bit quickly and jumped around a bit. i do hope we meet some of the three thousand characters the OP has teased soon tho, do we know how many episodes this is yet?

also nezuko is the best

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

really enjoying this! liking it more than manga right now if only because I like the slower pace where I thought the early bits of the manga I read moved a bit quickly and jumped around a bit. i do hope we meet some of the three thousand characters the OP has teased soon tho, do we know how many episodes this is yet?

also nezuko is the best

Two cour. And it sounds like the plan is for another season down the line if this one does well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay so this is clearly Fate, right? I mean, Ufotable, but also that ending was clearly one of Fate's.

It's not even Kalafina too, it's the other Kajiura group, and yet it still feels completely identical.

On the episode itself: drat, this series is good. I loved pretty much everything in it, but especially anything around Nezuko, from that silly pouting because she has to be on her basket away from the sun to that badass kicking against the demon. She's the best and I hope she keeps being the best.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Spiritus Nox posted:

Two cour. And it sounds like the plan is for another season down the line if this one does well.
this is great news!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the music from the demon fight kinda gave me a nier vibe. who's doing the music for this show?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

the music from the demon fight kinda gave me a nier vibe. who's doing the music for this show?

Yuki Kaijura - if the name isn't familiar you might recognize her work from Sword Art Online, Madoka, .Hack, or a bunch of other stuff. She's very prolific and I enjoy her style a lot.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Man the anime is good.
We should recycle the thread names though.
Kimetsu No Yaiba Anime: Tanjiro is still a good boy.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Nezuko suddenly kicking a dudes head clean off had me lollin irl that was badass.

I hope she eventually gets her demon side under control so she can speak again, or at least lose the muzzle :unsmith:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yuki Kaijura - if the name isn't familiar you might recognize her work from Sword Art Online, Madoka, .Hack, or a bunch of other stuff. She's very prolific and I enjoy her style a lot.

Go Shiina, also. Like a lot of composers now, he got his big break in games and now does tv series like Dimension W, Kyousougiga and Zodiac War most recently. The nasally chorus vocals are the biggest giveaways to his style if it's not obviously a Kajiura piece.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I didn't like first episode very much becouse despite being very pretty, I felt it abused monologues, inner monologues in particular to the point of farce. Second episode is much better however, and the sudden soccer kick decapitation had pretty much won me over for now.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Just remembered, the running sequence of cgi (in the forest) was actually pretty good, I think I'm just fine with this use of CGI.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Apart from the one cut where the bamboo whip trap lands overhead Tanjiro, all the 3D looks really good

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ufotable does some really good CG work when it's showing dynamic action stuff. There was a lot of that in the Fate stuff they did too.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Nezuko suddenly kicking a dudes head clean off had me lollin irl that was badass.

I hope she eventually gets her demon side under control so she can speak again, or at least lose the muzzle :unsmith:

Or at least get something more like a dog's muzzle that would let her, you know, talk, now that that we know that's something demons cn do.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's not even Kalafina too, it's the other Kajiura group, and yet it still feels completely identical.

Kajiura songs leaning on a familiar set of personal tropes? The devil you say!

Just waiting for the chimes glissando.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

They're good tropes tho

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Spiritus Nox posted:

They're good tropes tho

I'm not disputing that. She's very much the hedgehog to Yoko Kanno's fox.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, if composers sticking to tropes too closely were such a serious hamper, I'm sure I'd have more bones to pick with someone like Taku Iwasaki or Maiko Iuchi. Kajiura does right by whichever series/movie she's working on most of the time, so it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Also we know that Kajiura basically writes the same music for every show. I don't think anyone really cares though because it's all good music.

Probably the only thing she's done that's sounded unique is Madoka.