Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Feeling like this arc should have been packed into a single episode.

they prob could if they wanted to but it'd feel really rushed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I don't think it would, given how stretched out the actual one was.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I still can't decide what to think about this weird little show. The visual style top tier and a lot of fun, but the story is full of weird little missteps and things that doesn't make much sense, but the main protagonist and his sister are good characters with great character interactions and battles are great, but....

Overall I am liking it, but I have bunch of caveats about pretty much every single episode so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the early manga had problems but eventually got better. the only problem with the anime is the parts of the manga it is adapting. pig assaults fix everything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The manga pretty much gets it's poo poo together by Drum House.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah. I started reading because it was so high up on the popularity polls and couldn't tell why during the early chapters and came drat close to dropping it then PIG ASSAULT happened and now it's a weekly read.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Lizard posted:

I still can't decide what to think about this weird little show. The visual style top tier and a lot of fun, but the story is full of weird little missteps and things that doesn't make much sense, but the main protagonist and his sister are good characters with great character interactions and battles are great, but....

Overall I am liking it, but I have bunch of caveats about pretty much every single episode so far.
I've actually liked the show as a whole much better in how is presenting the story compared to the OG manga, but this is indeed a pretty common complaint of the early parts of KnY (volumes 1 and 2, I think?). Trust me, though: Once the manga finds its footing, it does so with gusto, and I expect the anime to pretty much up its ante from there on as well.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i had like 200 chapters of the manga to binge so i never really had issues with the pacing

though in the show version of things the flashbacks and cuts elsewhere come off way more obtrusive and bad to me, that's my only real complaint

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

i had like 200 chapters of the manga to binge so i never really had issues with the pacing

though in the show version of things the flashbacks and cuts elsewhere come off way more obtrusive and bad to me, that's my only real complaint

Manga's on like 160 chapters!

I know, I'm a pedant.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Probably shouldn't even ask this so maybe don't answer, but for manga readers, how long of a series does this feel? Like is the end in sight or could this keep running for a couple more years. I've always come in pretty late to the newer Shonen Jump stuff so I'm excited to be on the ground floor, of the anime adaptation at least

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think the manga will still be ongoing 10 years from now like one piece

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I could see a few more years. Dunno about much longer.
Like, 300 chapters total, tops?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Expect My Mom posted:

Probably shouldn't even ask this so maybe don't answer, but for manga readers, how long of a series does this feel? Like is the end in sight or could this keep running for a couple more years. I've always come in pretty late to the newer Shonen Jump stuff so I'm excited to be on the ground floor, of the anime adaptation at least

I think the series is supposed to be on its final arc, so I'd assume it would end within 2 years.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, ok, that escalated quickly. :stare:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr Muzan just wants to live a quiet life

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
OH poo poo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I already knew this series is good at hitting emotional scenes but I see it's extremely good at terror too. Muzan's introduction is absolutely perfect.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Mr Muzan just wants to live a quiet life

That is exactly what I thought of once he turned around with that kid. :catstare:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I did really like Muzan's intro.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

My only gripe is that I'm let down that the demon that killed Tanjiro's family is The Big Bad Demon Guy From Centuries Past. it has the opposite effect and just makes that plot thread way less cool.

I thought this at the time, but now we've met The Big Bad Demon Guy From Centuries Past I'm actually fine with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah that introduction was perfect, i'm totally on board with wherever they're going with this

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
drat Muzan u scary

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was pretty much the best way to translate that part into the anime. Still pants-voidingly horrifying. Like I know Seki can do villains, but holy smokes did he absolutely sold the "You mean nothing to me, boy" feel the manga established.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man Ufotable did some gorgeous area shots in the last part of this episode. They even managed to make the autogenerated crowds look decent and differentiated.

Also Muzan is probably the most terrifying villain in Jump right now. He's great and you've only started to see what he's capable of.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love the "monster uses a human facade to blend in" trope. And Muzan absolutely nails it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

As someone who hasn't read the manga, it's kind of interesting to me that Muzan is wearing a distinctly western-style suit as opposed to like a Hakama or something. Wonder if that'll amount to anything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

As someone who hasn't read the manga, it's kind of interesting to me that Muzan is wearing a distinctly western-style suit as opposed to like a Hakama or something. Wonder if that'll amount to anything.
This is ~1920 in Japan so I'm guessing he's kinda got a nanpa thing going on, or he's going for a more affluent/city-life kinda look.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's interesting that it's much more explicit in the anime that Tanjiro thinks it's Muzan directly who killed his family and turned Nezuko. I always got the feeling from the manga that it was just general demon scent coming from Muzan, that he just smelled similar to all the other demons so Tanjiro could pick him out. But either I misremembered or was just wrong.

Either way, what a great episode. I keep noticing when watching with my roommate that these episodes seem to go by so quickly, and other stuff we watch seems to take a while. It's just that watching this is so fun that time flies!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So anime only people what are your theories on Muzan.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Satanic PUA?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

My current guess is that he has a wife and kid in roughly the same way that a normal person might have a pet despite eating meat

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The real powerful moment isn't the Muzan intro but when Tanjirou tells the guy that the only thing to deal with things is to keep moving. When he lashes out at Tanjirou, despite all the horror he went through losing his family, he doesn't miss a beat and forgives him instantly because he understands he's hurting and wishes him well. Because Tanjirou is a good boy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
His good boyness is of such magnitude he doesn't even need to explain why understands exactly how he feels, one sympathetic smile is enough. :unsmith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

His good boyness is of such magnitude he doesn't even need to explain why understands exactly how he feels, one sympathetic smile is enough. :unsmith:
It's his blessing and curse.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Enjoyed this ep! The twist was good and I'm excited to see more of him. The more a villain is like Yoshikage Kira the better. It's amazing how much the ep seemed to fly by considering very little happened.

I still think it's dumb if Muzan was just wandering in the woods and decided to kill Tanjirou's family, so i'm going with the Underling of His headcanon

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Love that this episode we got one of this manga's trademark Goofy Faces for Tanjirou being bewildered at the size of Tokyo.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Eej posted:

The real powerful moment isn't the Muzan intro but when Tanjirou tells the guy that the only thing to deal with things is to keep moving. When he lashes out at Tanjirou, despite all the horror he went through losing his family, he doesn't miss a beat and forgives him instantly because he understands he's hurting and wishes him well. Because Tanjirou is a good boy.

:same:

It's a common theme of how Tanjirou encourages people to continue living and fighting day by day. He's the bestest boy.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not much to theorize on yet but it's interesting that he's very obviously able to go at the very least hours without chowing down on whoever is in sight. I wonder if it's because he's an even more picky eater than the demon Tanjiro killed in the first half, or because he's just been around forever and attained a high level of self-control, or some combination of the two.

The only other demon we've seen so far that hasn't gone nuts and just constantly been on the hunt for the next meal is Nezuko, and doesn't that seem interesting?

Muzan being able to blend into society at this level also means he presents a pretty unique challenge to demon slayers just in his environment. Most of their skillset seems to be centered around taking out whacked out super cannibals out on the rural fringe or in dark alleys. where there aren't a ton of people around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paragon1 posted:

Muzan being able to blend into society at this level also means he presents a pretty unique challenge to demon slayers just in his environment. Most of their skillset seems to be centered around taking out whacked out super cannibals out on the rural fringe or in dark alleys. where there aren't a ton of people around.

There is also the fact that Demons don't tend to work together. But Muzan can easily create them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The thing I am interested in is: we know Muzan can "create" demons and if I understood it correctly, every demon he "creates" can create other demons as well. And we just saw that the transformation from human to demon is almost instantaneous. Will we get the recreation of various "one infected in panicked crowd of soon to be zombies/demons" scenes from zombie movies in the next episode?