Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This might be spoiler territory but something happened in the latest episode and I can't get it out of my head

Splatter isn't appropriate for dust, is it? Splatters for like, wet stuff. Spray for dry stuff isn't super common, but at least applicable, since splatter has an implied wetness to it whereas spray is just about the range of by which something is scattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I love it when a non-satire story has antagonists that are impossible to just overpower directly so you have to beat them by figuring them out and outsmarting them in some way. Not only it's more interesting than "my attack is better than your attack" it also makes for a more sensible story where the protagonists don't have to become stupidly overpowered over time to handle raising stakes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

UnfurledSails posted:

I love it when a non-satire story has antagonists that are impossible to just overpower directly so you have to beat them by figuring them out and outsmarting them in some way. Not only it's more interesting than "my attack is better than your attack" it also makes for a more sensible story where the protagonists don't have to become stupidly overpowered over time to handle raising stakes.

It makes sense for this series as demons by default are stronger and more resilient then any human. Susamaru is just the first example of one that could not be directly beaten.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Today's episode was gorgeous.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

It makes sense for this series as demons by default are stronger and more resilient then any human. Susamaru is just the first example of one that could not be directly beaten.

Yeah, agreed. But I think I'd go as far as saying that it's almost always makes a better story than "guy trains even harder to beat the enemy." Even better is when the antagonists themselves figure out that they have to change their ways and grow to keep up and start thinking as well, instead of just going "WTF this puny insect is besting me I'M UNSTOPPABLE!!" *explodes into a billion pieces*

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
So this episode seems to confirm that the water given off by Tanjiro's sword is real, or at least real enough to interact with the arrows, which is interesting. He was making the water before he got the black sword, wasn't he?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

So this episode seems to confirm that the water given off by Tanjiro's sword is real, or at least real enough to interact with the arrows, which is interesting. He was making the water before he got the black sword, wasn't he?

I think it's still just metaphorical water. All he's doing is making sure he catches what's-his-name's vector attacks with the blade - it's still the sword getting pulled on, not the water.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean when fighting the trio theres this cool looking waterfall effect and after the commercial break its the same exact scene but its all the mud and swamp poo poo thats being pushed from the ground after hitting it really hard so I'm still on the mind that its metaphorical.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, I mean, this whole time Tanjirou's battle abilities have only ever been described and framed as the results of training, not magic or demon powers or anything. "I practiced really hard so now I can move real good and swing real hard" is one thing, "I practiced real hard so now I can summon torrents of water from nowhere" is another altogether.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The water is metaphorical. Basically the sword styles from the breaths emphasize the techniques- all of the Water Breath styles are these adjustable, flowing techniques. If it wasn't obvious from the opening there's a breath of lightning, and it works exactly how you'd imagine it.

Also this adaption continues to be fantastic.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 1, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think it's still just metaphorical water. All he's doing is making sure he catches what's-his-name's vector attacks with the blade - it's still the sword getting pulled on, not the water.

Yahaba.

I would say between the two Susamaru is the stronger one of two demons. Yahaba seemed more support.

Also congrats guys we found out the name of the Villain Boss squad. The Twelve Demon Moons.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess it never occurred to me to think of the breaths as anything other than visual metaphor, but i couldn't tell you why

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Seemed like good use of CGI for some of Tanjirou and Nezuko's acrobatics.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The immediate replay of 30 seconds of action after the commercial break was a little weird but this was a cool ep with the arrows

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it feels weirdly padded for a show that's what 12 eps for the first season? A flashback to the previous episode, followed by the last 30 seconds of action before the break and the 'previews' that are like 2mins+ at the end seems more like something from a long running shounen show worried about catching up to the manga lol
It's not a big deal since the rest of the show is so good, it just kinda sticks out.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it feels weirdly padded for a show that's what 12 eps for the first season? A flashback to the previous episode, followed by the last 30 seconds of action before the break and the 'previews' that are like 2mins+ at the end seems more like something from a long running shounen show worried about catching up to the manga lol
It's not a big deal since the rest of the show is so good, it just kinda sticks out.

Its 26 episodes

https://twitter.com/kimetsu_off/status/1119239286782480384

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 2, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm weeks behind so i'm not reading much of the thread, but i just wanted to say:

Stupid show you can't do this to me :qq:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This episode was so gorgeous. The art style is just so fun and cinematic.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm seconding the opinion that the CGI waa actually really good this episode.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this was the last fight in the manga where I was still on the fence about the series and they've once again seriously one upped the source material here

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm seconding the opinion that the CGI waa actually really good this episode.

the cgi was fine on nezuko because it was too far to really see the model well but hard disagree on cg tanjirou in the house. it was animated well but it's always really obvious when you get a good view of the 3d model's face. it's not a big deal or anything and the fight scene itself was super well done, but I definitely notice the cg every time. it's the kinda thing that'll age poorly

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I wonder if they could use the deep learning ai that learns you turn cats into dogs, to turn cg anime into realistic drawn looking anime.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

I'm weeks behind so i'm not reading much of the thread, but i just wanted to say:

Stupid show you can't do this to me :qq:
It kicked you in the heart's groin, right?

Me too, kitten. Me too. :cry:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Animation was top notch, but holy crap that soundtrack tho! I love how much love and effort have been put in this show.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The CG was pretty good I didn't even realize it until the scenes were almost over. There does seem to be a weird thing all over this episode that has nothing to do with CG. A few of the scenes felt uncharacteristically wooden, like the part where Tanjirou is defending Nezuko's honour, the scene where Tanjirou kinda repeats to himself to not let his guard down or the part where the kid goes invisible. Those bits are so jarring it almost makes the show feel amateurish or low budget until the next good cut comes on screen again.

Considering they spent like half a minute after the commercials to play a scene from literally the previous episode, the awkwardness of the pacing and dead air could just be them trying to find places they could stretch the episode out for whatever reason.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

The CG was pretty good I didn't even realize it until the scenes were almost over. There does seem to be a weird thing all over this episode that has nothing to do with CG. A few of the scenes felt uncharacteristically wooden, like the part where Tanjirou is defending Nezuko's honour, the scene where Tanjirou kinda repeats to himself to not let his guard down or the part where the kid goes invisible. Those bits are so jarring it almost makes the show feel amateurish or low budget until the next good cut comes on screen again.

Considering they spent like half a minute after the commercials to play a scene from literally the previous episode, the awkwardness of the pacing and dead air could just be them trying to find places they could stretch the episode out for whatever reason.

I think Tanjiro was trying to sound like a professional rather than a kid from the backwoods in that scene, both for himself and for his new friends. Subtitles have trouble when characters switch speech-patterns.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

He's trying really hard to seem focused and with conviction but just comes out as being a dolt thats struggling to stay alive

The scene is immediately before Yushiro tells Tamayo they should flee while the other two fight, its supposed to be comedic.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 3, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He's trying really hard to seem focused and with conviction but just comes out as being a dolt thats struggling to stay alive

The scene is immediately before Yushiro tells Tamayo they should flee while the other two fight, its supposed to be comedic.

Tanjiro is actually pretty clever and analytical with it comes to fights. A dummy would not have been able to think his way through Yahaba's attacks.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

He still sounds like a dolt

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

That's part of Tanjiro's charm. :3:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hes a dork, but not an idiot.
He was trying to be polite.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's like the scene in episode 2 where he won't take no for an answer when trying to build Nezuko's transportation basket. He's been offered a good, and dang it, he's gonna pay for it! :colbert:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the word you want is "bumpkin."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hes a dork, but not an idiot.
He was trying to be polite.

I think its more than just being polite when he's reducing whole sentences to just a single word and saying "ILL DO MY BEST!" in the end.

You can be a tactical genius in combat but at the same time be a complete dolt/dork in interpersonal communication, its a common theme in shounen series. What makes Tanjiro better is how pure and earnest he is.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
This is so loving good, I am tempted to read ahead in the manga but honestly I am avoiding it because i am so thoroughly enjoying the way they animated this.

Choices, choices...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Crunchyroll's Translation seemed a bit off this week.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This episode topped the last one in terms of visuals IMO. Even the audio was excellent, especially the ball-kicking bit. It really gave a good sense of how much power was going into those hits.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Caught up can't really say anything beyond anime good, it even manages to keep re-explanation minimized for a shonen show.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So... why are they leaving without killing the demon that makes more demons? That seems like it should priority one for the entire demon-slaying community.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dzhay posted:

So... why are they leaving without killing the demon that makes more demons? That seems like it should priority one for the entire demon-slaying community.

I'm pretty sure it is but getting to Kibutsuji doesn't seem nearly that easy. He's living a completely normal life, he can go fully unseen by the community at large unlike normal demons, and even if someone manages to clear that hurdle and get to him he can just create a commotion by birthing another demon then escape in the chaos, or worst case scenario, he can just murder whoever gets in his way since he's still far more powerful than any demon he's created.

The closest comparison I can think of, at least from what we've seen of him so far, is Kira Yoshikage. Different ways to kill people, but similar methodologies in not standing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Because two of his weakest recruits crippled and almost murdered them. Muzan is not someone with whom you gently caress.