Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Tir McDohl posted:

His reaction to being told the demon was defeated seemed to indicate that he knew about it, I thought.

it's kind of ambiguous but i think it makes more sense that it's like the other poster said that he's reacting to having just been told about it. otherwise i would think he would probably stop giving the kids he cares about masks that mark them for death by a particularly cruel demon

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

it's kind of ambiguous but i think it makes more sense that it's like the other poster said that he's reacting to having just been told about it. otherwise i would think he would probably stop giving the kids he cares about masks that mark them for death by a particularly cruel demon

I figured he learned about it before Tanjiro showed up, which is why he was so adamant about not training him or anyone else and set him a supposedly impossible task to complete in order to qualify. He sent him off with the mask because he reckoned that if he could cut that boulder, he could and should kill the arm demon.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
You don't need to do mental backflips about this. Every kid he's sent for years has died. Even if he didn't know specifically that it was that one demon, it would make him reluctant to just keep mulching children he cares about.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's really weird to me if Sakonji knew exactly what was killing his kids and did nothing rather than him not knowing and just assuming his kids couldn't make it past final selection so he didn't really want to train anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As well as one of the other guys doing the exam said the demons trapped up there were supposed to be fairly weak ones who had only eaten a few people. If the Demon Hunters knew there was a powerful demon in there I think they would have eliminated it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

I figured he learned about it before Tanjiro showed up, which is why he was so adamant about not training him or anyone else and set him a supposedly impossible task to complete in order to qualify. He sent him off with the mask because he reckoned that if he could cut that boulder, he could and should kill the arm demon.

He gave him that boulder because he figured there'd be no way he could possibly cut it, and therefore no way he'd risk dying in the selection trial.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fabricated posted:

If it wasn't obvious everyone who passed is relevant at some point but it takes a while for some.

I wish we could see one of them in particular fight because their style so to speak is awesome and is something you'd be like "oh yeah, why wouldn't you do that?" In reaction to. Remember that this is very specifically NOT ancient warring states Japan. It's Taisho era, 1912-1926.

Do they whip out pistols because if they do that would be very cool.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nezuko’s lack of involvement continues to be my biggest disappointment in an otherwise enjoyable series. Based on the previews I’d read before watching, I assumed it was going to be about a brother and sister teaming up to kick demon rear end, but instead she’s been asleep for most of it so far.

I’m not asking for detailed spoilers, but does she at least get that gag out of her mouth at some point so she can talk with the other characters normally?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That does indeed go into spoiler territory for further developments into the manga, so please try to keep that in mind if you don't get an answer, okey-doke?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Fair enough. Feel free to ignore me if there's no way to answer that without giving too much away.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nezuko doesn't get equal billing to tanjiro but she does participate more now that we're past the prerequisite training arc. she's an important character

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, right. Yeah, Nezuko is gonna be more active from here on out. Darn. Got too focused on one thing. Sorry 'neko. :sweatdrop:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Caught up, and dang this show is good. It's gorgeous, keeps superfluous explanations to a minimum, and almost every scene builds on its thematic intent. One of only two decent shows this season.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Nezuko does participate more from this point on.
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot, sometimes as a tiny tiny person.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Absolutely loving this so far! Not the biggest fan of the manga's art. But things like Tanjirou's sword effects really manage to enhance the source material.

Also that OP is hype as hell!

Edit:

Also never got too far into the manga. Not due to the lack of quality or anything. But had I known there was a boar-head dude in the manga I would have read it for sure.
Can't wait for that guy to show up!

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 10, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mulderman posted:

Not the biggest fan of the manga's art.

How dare you, the comedy scenes are by far the funniest things drawn in WSJ

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yesss more Nezuko kiiiiiiick.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The cutest brain washed murder machine

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Swamp Demon is such a creep.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This is where I left off in the manga so im real excited!

My only gripe is that I'm let down that the demon that killed Tanjiro's family is The Big Bad Demon Guy From Centuries Past. it has the opposite effect and just makes that plot thread way less cool. Also that Nezuko had to be hypnotized into being good instead of wanting to do it herself is lame

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

My only gripe is that I'm let down that the demon that killed Tanjiro's family is The Big Bad Demon Guy From Centuries Past. it has the opposite effect and just makes that plot thread way less cool. Also that Nezuko had to be hypnotized into being good instead of wanting to do it herself is lame

It's a safeguard. That's it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Expect My Mom posted:

Also that Nezuko had to be hypnotized into being good instead of wanting to do it herself is lame
I thought that was weird too, but more because she was already being good and I wouldn't have questioned it at all if she'd kept being good and thinking about her family without the almost throwaway hypnosis line.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 12, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

This is where I left off in the manga so im real excited!

I thought it was less that Muzan killed his family and more that the demon that killed his family had to be a "descendant" of Muzan.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

7c Nickel posted:

I thought it was less that Muzan killed his family and more that the demon that killed his family had to be a "descendant" of Muzan.

It's this. Muzan is the big baddie, but he merely started the strain of demonization, he didn't kill Tanjiro's family.

Also, I too think that Nezuko is just a Good Girl who protected her brother (more than once) without any kind of suggestion, so I think the suggestion is just kinda nothing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think the suggestion is just there to explain her not having to get acclimated to strangers.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you see her project her actual dead family members onto two random strangers, so it's kinda weird. but again i think this is one of those early plot beats that got dropped like people making GBS threads on tanjiro for being soft

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

7c Nickel posted:

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It's this. Muzan is the big baddie, but he merely started the strain of demonization, he didn't kill Tanjiro's family.
Oh okay, I totally missed that, so it was a demon created from a human turned into a demon. Does that imply that theoretically Nezuko's blood could do the same thing?

and yeah it was also totally believable to me that Nezuko's humanity was fighting back and she was empathizing with the guy and the girl.

I feel like I've been mostly negative so I'll say I like the music a lot in this show, not even just the Nier-esque singing stuff, but the battle themes are rad. The sound effects too, the very loud slurping noise of the demon moving and his gross teeth grinding are good inhuman markers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the teeth thing is so loving weird and dumb and i like that the guy split into three personalities of: calm and collected, hangry, and teeth-grinding

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I love this manga but the very first arc and so isn't great and Gotoge doesn't really get into the flow of things until later

Luckily it starts now!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the adaption has done a great job improving the early chapters imo

I think the first 12 episodes will end on inosuke's introduction and the drum demon. right after that is where I started getting really invested in the manga so I'm excited to get there

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

7c Nickel posted:

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This isn't what I got out of it at all. I believe it was Muzan himself.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 12, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
muzan hangs out in cities or in his pocket dimension. he doesn't roam the countryside looking for yokels to eat.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

muzan hangs out in cities or in his pocket dimension. he doesn't roam the countryside looking for yokels to eat.

(manga related spoilers) But then how does Tanjiro pick Muzan out of a crowd solely by remembering his scent from the incident while he is trying to pretend being Human? I know it was never explicitly said, but it's either Muzan or I guess an upper moon on his command (probably UM1).

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 12, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ihatepants posted:

(manga related spoilers) But then how does Taijiro pick Muzan out of a crowd solely by remembering his scent from the incident while he is trying to pretend being Human? I know it was never explicitly said, but it's either Muzan or I guess an upper moon on his command (probably UM1).

some manga spoilers here i guess. if Muzan is the top of the demon pyramid it would make sense to me that all demons have a similar smell to some degree, like a note of Muzan mixed with the individual's scent. Tanjiro smelling the demons this ep would somewhat confirm it imo. we do also know that demons other than Muzan have made demons, even though he was also active enough about making his upper moons to come across guys like Akaza.

sorry for the black bars, i hope this thread can kinda move away from the manga chat sooner rather than later

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Same. The manga is great and all, but I've been honestly enjoying the anime on its own. Ufotable are loving knocking it out of the park with the adaptation so far. :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Expect My Mom posted:

Oh okay, I totally missed that, so it was a demon created from a human turned into a demon. Does that imply that theoretically Nezuko's blood could do the same thing?

I think only Muzan's direct progeny can create more demons, from my limited knowledge.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Show good, my wife and lil bro are hooked, and I'm just so excited to show the many adventures of the good good children and their demon busting hijinks.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I will never get tired of Nezuko kicking she poo poo out of demons.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah the latest episode has made up for the biggest flaw of the previous arc, which was a lack of Nezuko kicking the poo poo out of demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Feeling like this arc should have been packed into a single episode.