Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

That was incredibly boring for the most part. I'm really iffy on the show at this point and will probably drop it if next episode doesn't give me a reason to stay.
Yeah, this episode was pretty poo poo overall but based on the series' overall praise and this post-

Expect My Mom posted:

The sudden two year timeskip really bugged me in the manga to where I stopped reading a little bit after and it still kinda does here. There's a lot of telling and montaging just to get Tanjiro strong enough to be a protagonist and the "I trained for a year, and then trained another year and my sister didn't do anything that entire time and my teacher I live with didn't talk to me anymore" feels a little sloppy to me. I feel like I'm kinda nitpicking but the leap from "I want to save my sister" to "I need to join the demon fighting military" also doesn't quite connect for me. This section just all kinda feels artificial, like the author didn't quite know how to get Tanjiro from Normal Boy to Anime Protagonist smoothly.

Still, the twist at the end is fitting for these kind of yokai stories and the episode looks great throughout. Gonna try to stick it out this time and trust the writing to improve. I also like Tanjiro's new long hair and mad it doesn't look like he keeps it
I'm going to give it a pass as the series finding its footing and getting its pieces where it wants them to get to the real good stuff. The way I see it, this series is beloved on this forum and in Japan, so there's gotta be something worth seeing here. I can forgive one clumsy training arc episode to get to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Without major spoilers, is there any significance to Tanjiro's big ol scar becoming more of a tattoo post-timeskip?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I heard Inosuke's voice for half a second and knew that I knew it but couldn't place any character that sounded like that. So I checked and yup, Soma and Kirito. But like, those guys if they were batshit loving crazy which turns out is the best possible voice cause I am already in love with Inosuke after two scenes and I don't see that changing ever. What a good beast boy.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This is a weird hill but man do I hate when "hade" is translated as "flamboyant" when people are using it in reference to themselves. People sometimes call other people flamboyant but very rarely if ever do people use it the way that one Hashira was. It would also sound absurd if spoken. Stylish or Flashy would've been more natural in both cases.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Homura and Sickle posted:

hes a jojo. demon blood magic is stands. this is a jojo anime. flamboyant is an appropriate translation.
I'm not saying he or anyone else in this isn't flamboyant, I'm saying there were more natural choices. The series has done pretty well with the dialogue up until now, flamboyant just feels a little too japanese-english dictionary.

dogsicle posted:

flashy definitely works for him, look at all those beads and gems
heck yeah.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wark Say posted:

:yeah:

Like I know it's probably because it was originally a scanlation (is it on the official release? I dunno), but the idiom Inosuke uses (it's a yojijukugo/4-kanji idiom written something like 「猪突猛進」) is like a perfect encapsulation of Inosuke when we meet him, no matter what the translator decides to go with.
I confirmed it is indeed an idiom according to the Japanese dictionary found here.

It means what it says on the tin though, charging straight ahead like a boar with eyes only on your target and no regard for anything else around or beyond it. I never read the scans so "Pig Assault" was only ever a funny phrase from the pages people posted sometimes, but it is not what I'd consider a good translation since it sounds more like an attack name. It's a weird thing to shout while just running down a hallway for example. (I know Inosuke is weird, but not that weird.)

I double checked to be sure and in his first appearance they translated it as "Comin' through!" in both the anime and manga. Which is appropriate and snappy, albeit less memetic.

Sometimes catchphrases from scans are good and deserve to be made official like Kaguya's "How cute" but in this case I think dropping it is the right call. It's beloved among fans but it's also essentially made up. If they wanted to try and squeeze the pig joke in then maybe I would've used something like "full bore" to be cute but unfortunately I don't think there's any way to retain that pun without kanji while conveying the actual meaning of the word.

Also side note, when I was teaching in Japan one of my schools' sports day teams once used that idiom for their team banner but they replaced the "boar" kanji with the "deer" kanji. I didn't know the original idiom so I couldn't make sense of it at the time, but now I know! Thanks Inosuke!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 29, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dogsicle posted:

i'd offer pig assault at the altar if it meant the official tl didn't have to keep terms like "hashira" and "hinokami kagura"
I have no idea why these terms aren't translated. There is absolutely no reason I can see why Hashira shouldn't just be Pillar and Fire God Dance is a given.

Also Nichirin Swords should just be Sunlight Swords. There's a lot of weirdness going on. Maybe Shueisha wanted to keep the terms for international brand recognition or something.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Localization anymore is really weird. Hashira and Kizuki don't mean anything to non-Japanese speakers- Pillar and "Demon Moon" kinda get the idea that these characters are a big deal across better I think. They also sound cooler in English at least.
Agreed. The Twelve Demon Moons sound awesome. What the gently caress is a twelve kizuki, it's something that's gonna sound really stupid when this gets dubbed, that's what.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Likewise, canon anime movie is a terrifying prospect because who knows when it'll be avaliable worldwide, so that'd help a lot.
On the plus side, Dragonball and One Piece movies have been coming out within a few months of their Japanese release and My Hero did the same so I think we can hope for a relatively quick stateside showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Oh wow, I think that's the first time I've seen multiple people in a row post in the wrong thread lol
Total Lack of Concentration Posting