Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So I have to ask -- are the constant admonishments to the protagonist that he has to be more of a stoic, vengeful, and repressed manly man supposed to be damaging and stupid, or are they totally sincere?

Normally I'd watch and find out but if it's the latter I don't actually want to watch this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Spoilers I guess, but Tanjiro very much never becomes that sort of character at all. He remains a very emotionally expressive character that is friendly to just about everyone and spends his downtime thinking of ways to help other people out.

Spoilers are fine, pretty much inevitable with what I was asking. In any case, thank you!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I dunno, I thought it was kind of funny that it went straight for "and then I spent two years getting my rear end kicked" without dressing it up at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yeah that introduction was perfect, i'm totally on board with wherever they're going with this

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

Like he's literally an evil demon lord so maybe trying to puzzle out his rationale for demonizing people is dumb...

I don't believe this for a second. Even the most warped and inhuman demons we've met so far still have vestiges of humanity and human motivations, it's just buried under their hunger for human flesh and the lengths they'll go to rationalize that hunger to themselves. I am absolutely certain there's more to Muzan than just arbitrary evil.

My current best guess is that he's envious of humanity, just based on who his victims and creations have been (I'm including Tanjiro's family in this, because that's the simplest reading of what the show has presented) but I'm sure it'll be easier to get a sense of it once he gets a bit more screen time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

The last demon we saw said that he ate young girls because if they got older, they smelled bad.

Just ... FYI.

Exactly what he said his reasons were is less the point than how desperately defensive he got about it to someone he was planning to kill anyways. It's an excuse for eating them; why would a demon think it needs to be excused?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 22, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

this is the taste smell of a liar

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I still think he's gotta be motivated by the desire to tear down humanity (and maybe families in particular, considering recent events) to constantly prove to himself that they don't have anything he can't.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

Nezuko spending her whole life in the box is probably my biggest complaint about this series

Nezuko is a weird aspect of the show in general. Like, they introduce and then as quickly as possible they come up with bizarre excuses for her to be a total non-character and to avoid ever having to actually write for her except every once in a while as comic relief.

It reminds me of Casca in Berserk a little, although it's better in some ways (not prompted by sexual trauma) and worse in others (Casca was at least an interesting and well-written character at one point until she was written out for decades, Nezuko's been reduced to an odd offstage presence basically from the first five minutes of the show.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

she's more of an extension of tanjirou

this sums up the problem rather elegantly

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

none of the demons are forgiven when they die

I don't know about that. Whether they are actually forgiven is complicated because it's like, forgiven by whom? The victims? Tanjirou? God? Themselves? But I think it makes it pretty clear that they aren't beyond forgiveness, in the abstract.

Also, Tanjirou's attitude of being prepared to forgive murderers and cannibals while also 100% committed to stopping them, by force, from causing further harm -- and the show inhabiting his perspective and reinforcing it with flashbacks that he couldn't have known about -- is a good thing and a much better moral example than like 90% of media.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Someone said it and I think it's accurate that the series is mostly people telling Tanjirou to stop being such a good boy and empathising with demons or they'll end up killing him, then him continuing to be a good boy anyway

I was the one they were replying to, and I'm really glad they were right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There are definite narrative reasons why the pillars are who they are.

If the demons are intended to be vicious mirrors of humanity then the pillars are humanitys strengths in the face of adversity.

Stone!
Mist!
Water!
Wind!
Flame!
Sound!
Love!
Bugs!?
Snakes!?!

By our powers combined, we are Captain OH GOD WHAT IS THAT GET IT AWAY

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Off-model Inosuke was the highlight of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zenitsu is pathetic, and is treated as pathetic by everyone around him. The narrative doesn't ignore or condone his behavior.

Mineta is sexually harassing someone every time he's on screen but it's contextually treated like it's a hilarious joke. He sucks on a level Zenitsu doesn't even approach.