Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

aside from a little bad CG, it was a good opening episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the manga took a while to pull me in but I think the anime did a better job with the opening than the manga did. I'm pretty optimistic about this adaption atm

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the music from the demon fight kinda gave me a nier vibe. who's doing the music for this show?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So I have to ask -- are the constant admonishments to the protagonist that he has to be more of a stoic, vengeful, and repressed manly man supposed to be damaging and stupid, or are they totally sincere?

Normally I'd watch and find out but if it's the latter I don't actually want to watch this.

it doesn't really matter since tanjiro is never vengeful or stoic. it's just a bit of generic shonen that doesn't really get followed up on

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I'm not sure season 1 will even get to the point where I think the series really hits its stride, so I don't blame anyone for having doubts. it steadily gets better over time tho, so it's worth sticking with if you're at all interested. the character stuff in particular gets way better and my favorite parts are the downtime bewteen big fights when a bunch of the cast have time to just hang out for a bit

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

uhhhh it's gonna be over twenty episodes so i sure hope it does!!

o is it? I thought it was just 12. I had some natural end points in mind but that throws them out the window for sure

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i don't know why they insist on breaking up the selection with pointless flashbacks and cutaways to sabito/makomo as if they have much bearing on anything, but it's kinda annoying. feels like that stuff would've been fine to place earlier on so we can just have the selection happen.

that's how it happened in the manga and you weren't supposed to know anything about them before they were done training with tanjirou

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

should be good on that front since the early fights are way worse than the later ones

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the fights are way way better than they are in the manga and it did a great job with the demon. the character designs are very strong

one thing I appreciate about this series is that the demons always feel like legitimate threats and they do a good job with selling the disadvantage the humans have in fights

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

https://twitter.com/NomiMatsu/status/1121017218576211969

Glad to hear that Tanjiro's VA is also a good good boy.

:allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

I still feel like the story is a tad rushed (Here are three ((secretly four?)) other characters who will def be important later, but none of them are going to talk to nor think about each other or have names right now, just here's your rank, your bird and leave), but i can accept that the Real Kimetsu No Yaiba Starts Here and keep going on.

I liked like everything else in this episode! nezuko just slamming the door off got me good. just wish it would chill a bit

that's how it is in the manga tbf but they did flesh some things out a little more here. the stuff with urokodaki and the demon at the beginning was like one panel and the story just skips right to the end of the test after he dies. tanjiro doesn't meet any other demons on screen and it's just a fade to black with "7 days later"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nezuko doesn't get equal billing to tanjiro but she does participate more now that we're past the prerequisite training arc. she's an important character

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the adaption has done a great job improving the early chapters imo

I think the first 12 episodes will end on inosuke's introduction and the drum demon. right after that is where I started getting really invested in the manga so I'm excited to get there

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Feeling like this arc should have been packed into a single episode.

they prob could if they wanted to but it'd feel really rushed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think the manga will still be ongoing 10 years from now like one piece

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

as dogsicle said, his scar is addressed at some point

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this was the last fight in the manga where I was still on the fence about the series and they've once again seriously one upped the source material here

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm seconding the opinion that the CGI waa actually really good this episode.

the cgi was fine on nezuko because it was too far to really see the model well but hard disagree on cg tanjirou in the house. it was animated well but it's always really obvious when you get a good view of the 3d model's face. it's not a big deal or anything and the fight scene itself was super well done, but I definitely notice the cg every time. it's the kinda thing that'll age poorly

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's no guarantee that muzan stuck around and tanjirou is hurt. he could have told the crow that delivers messages to him about it but don't think about these things too hard

more importantly, it's looking like 1-2 more episodes before the best character is finally introduced

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm inordinately upset that they never mentioned the fate of the human woman and her demonized husband

did they get killed on the attack on the house? are they going to continue to restrain the husband and attempt to treat him? who knows

nezuko brought the woman to safety and the demon was chilling in the basement. the show assumes you know they're alive. they come up again eventually as well, so you'll get your closure

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sindai posted:

Zenitsu is terrible but I'm guessing boar head is the best character people kept hinting about so hopefully he'll make up for him.

zenitsu's the annoying one. he does have moments tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alder posted:

His manga arc is pretty good :sigh:

tbh I don't really agree. he has good moments but on the whole, not a fan of zenitsu

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the fights are so well done

Mulderman posted:

Episode 12:
Tanjirou is such a good boy! SUCH A GOOD BOY!

we haven't even reached peak good boy from tanjirou yet if you can believe it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that whole scene got drawn out a lot and inosuke looks a lot worse for it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It did not seem much longer in the manga. He looked like a right fucker there too.

you get 2 panels of inosuke kicking zenitsu in the manga (1 in ch25 and one in 26). the bit where inosuke is just kicking him after he falls over doesn't even happen; zenitsu falls and it goes right to tanjirou stepping in. I'm not saying he came off as a nice guy in that scene but the anime made that into like half the episode. also tanjirou reacts to it immediately rather than waiting around to say anything

the demon fight was great but I really think they bungled the second half of the episode

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay yeah, just watched the ep and wowzas they made Inosuke look a whole shitload worse here.
Unsure if editorial decision or padding for time.

it's def padding imo. a bunch of scenes get drawn out and stuff gets added but usually it's fine. like the flashback with urokodaki and the demon during the selection was like 2 panels in the manga but they fleshed it out in a good way in the adaption

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the wisteria inn fluff is always good. I liked the downtime between the fights more than the fights themselves in the manga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is true that the super powers of the humans are a little unimaginative compared to the demons. unless you count the sword styles as more than just a cool visual representation

hear good, smell good, breathe good, bend good, head hard

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

Or at the very least the sound and animation when he finally shuts up and cuts something.

this is the problem with zenitsu. he's ok when his gimmick isn't the focus but it frequently is

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nezuko's not zenitsu or inosuke and solo fights aren't really her thing. she's more of an extension of tanjirou. she's really important to the narrative but she's more motivation than person

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the sun's still up so she can't come out of the box when he's beating up zenitsu but she does come out when they reach the inn

that's also when zenitsu first sees her and becomes insufferable for a while

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that fight was hype as gently caress

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the plot is def not the selling point of this series, that's for sure

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

It was a great episode but I have no idea how they plan on adapting some parts of this if they do more seasons if they just adamantly refuse to have a narrator.

idk what part you mean tbh but not having heavy narration now doesn't mean they can't do it later. like how hxh turned into a narrated slideshow in the chimera ant arc

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dipwood posted:

I like the constant escalation in this series, without any build-up. It reminds of me Gurren Lagann. It's almost like an abridged version of other shounen shows. We get to see these amazing moments far more frequently (cough ONE PIECE cough).

if we're comparing animes, one piece is a little unfair since it never has breaks. they're actively trying to stretch it out as long as possible

demon slayer actually does have a fair bit of filler that slows the pacing down but it's benign compared to something like one piece or dragon ball. like the scene where tanjirou spends the day searching for the demon that was stealing girls? yea that's filler. the manga just fades to black after he talks to the guy whose girlfriend was taken and goes right to night time

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't worry comedy zenitsu will replace serious zenitsu for a while and you'll all find him insufferable again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am pretty sure that the Father Spider Demon transformation was possibly him removing the modifications Rui made to him.

they were modified to be more like spiders so they could fit rui's family aesthetic so I doubt it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

none of the demons are forgiven when they die

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know about that. Whether they are actually forgiven is complicated because it's like, forgiven by whom? The victims? Tanjirou? God? Themselves? But I think it makes it pretty clear that they aren't beyond forgiveness, in the abstract.

Also, Tanjirou's attitude of being prepared to forgive murderers and cannibals while also 100% committed to stopping them, by force, from causing further harm -- and the show inhabiting his perspective and reinforcing it with flashbacks that he couldn't have known about -- is a good thing and a much better moral example than like 90% of media.

several demons are pretty explicitly shown going to hell after they die

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mimesweeper posted:

Yea the anime isn't doing poor Zenitsu any favors, he's a lot more relatable in the comic as the normal guy stuck in the crazy world.

They dialed the annoying up to 11 and it's annoying.

they didn't do anything to zenitsu. it's just way more annoying to actually hear him yelling than it is to read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this season's prob gonna end around ch 50 or so and the most recent ch is around 170, so I'm gonna guess the full series will be around 4 seasons