Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

it's kind of ambiguous but i think it makes more sense that it's like the other poster said that he's reacting to having just been told about it. otherwise i would think he would probably stop giving the kids he cares about masks that mark them for death by a particularly cruel demon

I figured he learned about it before Tanjiro showed up, which is why he was so adamant about not training him or anyone else and set him a supposedly impossible task to complete in order to qualify. He sent him off with the mask because he reckoned that if he could cut that boulder, he could and should kill the arm demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Turning someone trying to protect her family into a cannibal suggests a very specific and very vicious kind of sadism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I'm expecting the doctor and her assistant to die in the next episode. They were death flagging really hard by providing our protagonist with so much hope.

'To cure your sister you literally need to take down all or most of the main bad guy's top lieutenants' doesn't exactly sound like a short-term objective that's extraneous to the plot. I'd assume they're going to have to stay around given how long assembling the ingredients is going to take and how essential they are to it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

The CG was pretty good I didn't even realize it until the scenes were almost over. There does seem to be a weird thing all over this episode that has nothing to do with CG. A few of the scenes felt uncharacteristically wooden, like the part where Tanjirou is defending Nezuko's honour, the scene where Tanjirou kinda repeats to himself to not let his guard down or the part where the kid goes invisible. Those bits are so jarring it almost makes the show feel amateurish or low budget until the next good cut comes on screen again.

Considering they spent like half a minute after the commercials to play a scene from literally the previous episode, the awkwardness of the pacing and dead air could just be them trying to find places they could stretch the episode out for whatever reason.

I think Tanjiro was trying to sound like a professional rather than a kid from the backwoods in that scene, both for himself and for his new friends. Subtitles have trouble when characters switch speech-patterns.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dzhay posted:

So... why are they leaving without killing the demon that makes more demons? That seems like it should priority one for the entire demon-slaying community.

Because two of his weakest recruits crippled and almost murdered them. Muzan is not someone with whom you gently caress.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

The end of the Chimera Ants arc is what makes it tbh

"Hai, hai." :qq:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

frajaq posted:

so loving weird watching an anime with a budget

KNY has roughly the same budget as any other anime (except special cases like Rage of Bahamut, where they actually did throw money at the production). It's just that the staff are really good at their jobs, and maybe had a somewhat more generous/well-structured production schedule than is usual.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worthwhile info here:

https://twitter.com/itsbonedaddy/status/1163875596926984193?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

man these guys are terrible, with maybe the exception of lovestruck and sleepy

I was pretty mad at p-p-p-poison last week but the rest of the pillars make her look soft and cuddly in comparison. I'm sure they're all in line for Vegeta-esque redemption but kinda would rather they get hoisted on their own zealous pitards.

Shinobu is Literally Just Jabami Yumeko With A Sword, though, so it's not her who needs to adjust, it's everyone else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
KNY's producer says Zenitsu is one of his favourite parts of the adaptation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hah, of course a shonen VA uses the Long Sword.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Here’s something funny about the va for Inosuke. In Japan he’s voiced by Yoshitsugu Matsuoka who voices Kirito on Sword Art Online. In English Inosuke is voiced by Bryce Papenbrook, who also plays Kirito on SAO.

He's also Eren Jaeger, for a different flavour of relentless, murderous rage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm like halfway through the movie right now and I swear to god if the demon who puts people to sleep doesn't get hosed up by the guy who kills people when he falls asleep I'm gonna be mad.

Rest assured, the fatal miscalculation that guy makes is much sillier (although putting Zenitsu to sleep is certainly a very bad move for him).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Movie spoilers: I mean, he does do a lot of heavy lifting in protecting the passengers, alongside Kyojuro and Nezuko. He doesn't actively defeat the big nasty responsible, but he does play a key role in ruining his plans.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And it was the intro for a major secondary antagonist who'll presumably serve as a particularly dangerous ongoing rival, so there's that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Verus posted:

i have not read the manga, but as soon as these guys were introduced at the end of season 1 my assumption was that they were just there to get worf'd.

Future manga spoilers if you're curious, don't click if you're not: Not exactly. They're there to level the playing field by serving as teachers and allies to the main characters against the really nasty demons. They have a high casualty rate, but they do regularly accomplish important things and provide valuable assistance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
TBF, 'entertainment district' is probably more accurate. There's plenty of prostitution, sure, but it's tied together with art, theatre, and music of every conceivable variety. They went for a kabuki aesthetic with the new end-of-episode skits, for instance, and while that was an art-form closely tied to the sex trade, it would be misleading to say that it was mostly what it was about.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LorneReams posted:

On the Flashy guy, what does that tattoo represent on his eye? Is it like a clan thing? Just aesthetics?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it serves the same purpose as his jewelled headdress and gold arm-bands. Especially for a Japanese audience, given the social stigma about tattoos - having a big one across your face is a particularly dramatic way to say 'gently caress you, I don't care what you think'.

Honestly, the thing I find most disconcerting about his character design is the bulging veins on his arms. The gently caress kind of 1920s steroids is he on?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

She did that in the first episode as well, though not as much. She can age herself in either direction.

That one was a bit different - she just got bigger and more muscular, not older. Less Captain Marvel, more Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

Is there any special significance to the vine 'tattoos' (for lack of a better word) on her when she's hulked out?

Only that demons tend to develop tattoo-like markings from using their Blood Demon Arts, and the vine patterns are hers. It's like Daki's butterfly or Akaza's bars.