Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I hadn't seen Angle's farewell tour matches, but watching him in the Corbin match, I'm not sure it even mattered who he faced. It probably just shouldn't have happened. Short of Bret Hart pulling a Tom Magee on him, Angle is... not capable of putting on a comfortable looking match. I mean it felt like watching a sickly person force himself into a match. I respect the hell out of him for performing but it just left me feeling sad, especially as I always thought he was a top 5 wrestler of all time.

Even if Cena came out to challenge him after say, knocking out Corbin, there's not a good way to make either of them look good. Angle standing toe to toe with him wouldn't be a good look for Cena. Cena squashing Angle would also feel pretty lovely.

I think it's probably best to assume Angle's not thinking with the soundest mind these days and WWE (maybe Vince) felt obligated to oblige him for a farewell.

Is he gone from TV or was that just a retirement as a wrestler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kurt hasn't been good for years. The only somewhat fun match he's had was as Shield Dad which only worked because Seth and Dean did the heavy lifting.

Mind you the Corbin thing suuuucked but it was always going to be a bad match.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, they did a classic retirement for Ric Flair and he wasn't exactly a spring chicken.

A compelling story and an opponent who could carry the match could easily have given Angle a decent send off. But they decided to make it about putting over Baron Corbin after a bunch of "showcase" matches Angle apparently couldn't really deliver on anymore, so there you go.

I haven't seen a single Angle match since he returned to WWE so it seems sad to hear how far he's apparently fallen. At the end of his TNA career he was definitely slowing down but was still very much capable of having good matches. I think he racked up a couple of 4* matches even in his final year there. So it sounds like he just fell off a cliff in the last year or two.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
STAC, trust me when I say I genuinely believe Flair was in much better shape against HBK than Kurt is now. Problem is that Kurt has always relied on being a wrestling machine. Flair hasn't. I'm not saying we got as good as we could have, but it was never going to be anything better than inoffensive.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
He was so happy that night

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

I still wish Seth and Dean had dressed up as Team Angle instead of the other way around.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Kurt is broken down and the match was absolutely going to suck regardless of who it was but that doesn’t mean they should’ve picked literally the shittiest choice possible.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Digital Jedi posted:

He was so happy that night

It was adorable. :3:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

STAC, trust me when I say I genuinely believe Flair was in much better shape against HBK than Kurt is now. Problem is that Kurt has always relied on being a wrestling machine. Flair hasn't. I'm not saying we got as good as we could have, but it was never going to be anything better than inoffensive.

Angle's strength was being a wrestling machine but a lot of the reason people loved him was because of his goofy comedy character work and personality.

Like I said, I haven't seen him in his WWE return so I don't know how broken he is. But I have a hard time imagining someone like Cena couldn't have had a fun sports entertainment match with him at the very least.

It just feels like we're accepting that because they couldn't get a good match/story with Baron Corbin out of it it was a helpless cause. I know he send in some apparent stinkers with guys like AJ and Joe he's made magic with before, but I gotta think that a heavily rehearsed, planned, and story driven match could do better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He can't turn his head, he's slow, he can't transition between moves.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Would've been a good opportunity to give him new gear and new music but

Yknow why bother

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I accept Corbin because people already dislike him. I think if you put in a "good" wrestler against Angle at this point, it'll only diminish his opponent rather than give him a good send off. Corbin's a safe sacrifice.

Unless you go with the straight up super gimmick match where Shawn Michaels sells every Hogan attack like he's Loki at the end of the Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Hey now.

That DICK! posted:

you can fake a disease but you cant fake heart

I read this initially as "You can fake a diesel but..." still rings true.