Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If the world is scaled for 6-foot men, then why aren't stair treads deep enough to hold our entire foot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

If the world is scaled for 6-foot men, then why aren't stair treads deep enough to hold our entire foot?

I mean unless you're injured or trying to get a good workout I don't understand why you'd walk up the stairs with your entire foot touching the stair.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Powered Descent posted:

And why are beds and baths just plain not long enough

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Movies are too long now. Please cut them all, indiscriminately, by 45 minutes

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

I mean unless you're injured or trying to get a good workout I don't understand why you'd walk up the stairs with your entire foot touching the stair.

It's a bigger problem going down -- you either turn your foot a bit sideways or walk on your heels. (Or slip off the front of the step and slide the rest of the way down on your butt.) ~~~Just size 13 things~~~

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

jokes posted:

And why are beds and baths just plain not long enough

:hmmyes:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
WHATS THE DEAL WITH (THING THAT ANNOYS ME)

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Woah dude, speak for yourself. How dare you assume my shoe size.
I'm 6'1" and wear a size 9.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
you guys arguing about a table haven't tried cutting two legs off so that one end is lower than the other? problem solved AND you can roll stuff down to the lower end. easy peasy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

learnincurve posted:

It’s 5 inches higher than a usual table and it’s in my house. What’s an order of magnitude more upsetting is realising that my mother had to deal with this for 20 years, presumably while being told don’t be silly it’s only a tiny bit taller than you like, which the real issue for me here.

this sounds like the issue is your dad is a dick and made a very selfish purchasing decision, not that there was anything wrong or insane about the process of designing and selling the table

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Owning furniture is very boomer, imo

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Yes, one table being too big is the same as pervasive oppression of women

Look, I'm 6'-2", and I'm too big for most beds, my head brushes the roof of most cars I sit in, I have to get custom tailored long sleeves because my arms are too long, I hunch over kitchen counters, and it took getting a desk with an adjustable height to get one that was comfortable. And I'm barely taller.

If the world has been adapted for people 6' high, then where the hell is all that stuff? I've never seen it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Never visit Japan

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

jokes posted:

Never visit Japan

I did, and holy hell I'm glad I was limber.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i'm 69' tall and i live in japan and stomp on the buildings

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Can we go back to the table op for a second?

quote:

“wow finally something designed with me and only me a 6ft white man in mind”

genuine question: what makes a table designed for only a white man? price?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HD DAD posted:

Owning furniture is very boomer, imo

I stole my kitchen table from an employer. It's a round office kitchen table. It's lame but it holds my mail and the cat's food very well, 3/5 stars, would steal it again.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I stole my kitchen table from an employer. It's a round office kitchen table. It's lame but it holds my mail and the cat's food very well, 3/5 stars, would steal it again.

Was your employer a white man?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

butt dickus posted:

Are you able to sit at Japanese tables?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

wesleywillis posted:

Was your employer a white man?

It was a corporate board run by white men. No one there darker than printer paper.

I'm also white. It's white on white crime!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

carry on then posted:

Depends on location. In the US, tables for blacks are 3/5ths off.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

White guys buy tables like this, but black guys buy tables like this

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

butt dickus posted:

Huge fan of your work Mr Zilla.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Mr Zilla was my father's name.

Call me God

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Scratch Monkey posted:

Mr Zilla was my father's name.

Call me God

Are you still feuding with Gamera?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Depends on location. In the US, tables for blacks are 3/5ths off.

:drat:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
my fake leather chair is peeling, and it bothers me

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol. I remember being told every year we had to learn cursive soon, we'd have to use it all the time in high school/university, and by the time we get there everything's typed.

I learned cursive in second grade and never used it again as soon as I go to fifth grade. Basically my teachers made us use it and then were like "Meh.". Teaching kids cursive is a huge waste of time. Schools could better use that time to pretend that racism doesn't exist because the Civil War and Martin Luther King ended that problem.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I learned cursive in second grade and never used it again as soon as I go to fifth grade. Basically my teachers made us use it and then were like "Meh.". Teaching kids cursive is a huge waste of time. Schools could better use that time to pretend that racism doesn't exist because the Civil War and Martin Luther King ended that problem.

There's value in being able to read cursive in case you encounter an old letter or something, but there's no point anymore in doing all that practice and repetition to learn to write it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

butt dickus posted:

lol weeb

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Powered Descent posted:

There's value in being able to read cursive in case you encounter an old letter or something, but there's no point anymore in doing all that practice and repetition to learn to write it.

I kind of agree but how often is it even going to come up? And if it's something historically important it's already been transcribed. What's hilarious about cursive is that to this day I have no idea how to write a cursive lowercase "z" because I was out that day and the teacher just refused to help me.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Cursive has no practical daily use, but it's nice to be able to write in pretty script style. But these days cursive belongs more in art curriculum alongside general calligraphy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In grade school I got taught this kind of semi-cursive poo poo called D'Nealian. I don't remember having to really use it except in maybe 2nd or 3rd grade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27Nealian

Being able to read cursive mostly comes in handy because I can read notes and letters from my parents. Well, cursive and some level of cryptography - some of that poo poo is hard to decipher.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was taught that too, based on looking at your link, but ever since elementary school my writing has turned into something that I can read myself but others have difficulty with.

I basically took the parts I liked from what I was taught and invented letters for the ones I didn’t, namely capital Z, T, Q, and F as well as some lowercase letters which change depending on if they are the first letter in a word or not.

Apparently it looks nice and is somehow distinctive enough that people can identify it as mine from a distance, but it is very hard to read.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Teach Tengwar in schools again

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Barudak posted:

Teach Tengwar in schools again

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Huge fan of your work Mr Zilla.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i was taught cursive in elementary school through the 80s and still use it

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Philthy posted:

i was taught cursive in elementary school through the 80s and still use it
My elementary school stopped teaching cursive starting with my class in 1985.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When do you guys think schools will catch up to the *checks notes* mid 1990s, realise that pretty much everybody works with a computer now and start teaching kids to touch type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We knew “you won’t have a calculator on you all the time” turned out to be incorrect. But no one called the few minutes you have to spend working out how to hold a pen again.