Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

RE: Boy Scouts

It's a miserable organization, that my dad pushed me into because he was a boy scout. I was already an outsider, and because I wasn't part of the subset that had been in the troop leader's family's cub scout den, me and a few others were the outsider group.

It was 100% nepotism in that troop, the insiders got everything just signed off, all at once out of nowhere on multiple occasions. My outsider group had to fight tooth and nail to get our badges. They dropped like flies, and I think I was the last one standing when my dad let me drop out. I made it about 2 years I think.

That's why Black Phillip rules!

Every single rank and badge I ever earned in scouts was from my older brother noticing that I was lagging way behind everyone else and would ask me if I did x, y, z. I'd say sure, he'd sign off on it, I'd get the thing. I made it to whatever the level below Eagle was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Second biggest memory was that one of the other counselors practically chopped his foot off while chopping firewood.

I'm reminded of the time NFL coach Jack del Rio put an axe and firewood in the Jaguars locker room as some kind of Boomer logic motivational tactic, and they lost their punter for the year when he cut the gently caress out of himself trying to chop locker room wood.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When I went to Scouts in Scotland, it was a chill hangout group where we mostly played football. No religious poo poo involved. No parents taking it super seriously. It was a good way to meet up with our friends outside of school (lots of us lived on farms so group meetups would have been harder without it)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I quit the cub scouts when the eagle scouts leading our camping trip mixed up the trail and the river. They mocked my dad who grew up in a farm as a useless suburbanite who obviously didn't know the first thing about nature every time he pointed out the trail was supposed to run along the top of the canyon and not the river we were hiking in at the bottom.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

snergle posted:

if this guy knew cobol he could get his entire family line jobs by telling them the pw on his death bed. foundation style.

ive had run ins at old jobs where the guy made his code as obtuse and frustrating as possible as job security and then eventually got fired or quit and makes more as a consultant. loving genius.

My job requires coding knowledge but is hardware based, so really, no one in the group had it when I came in (We're 5, but an old group, so turnover is high. I was one of two new hires and we're hiring two more. I can't imagine I stay the only one who knows Python or C or Labview but its good while it lasted).

I can't tell if the code is deliberately obfuscated or that's just inexpert coding, but I've set myself up as the genius of geniuses by being able to wade into code from like, 1995 that everyone got used to eating poo poo every 2 hours and needing to reboot, and with the help of flowcharts that come to look like astrological diagrams, cutting them down by 75%, speeding them up by 50% and also making them, yaknow work on demand. And I'm the worst coder I know of the people I went to school with, I never had a coding class I just learned it incidentally, but that's what this place's IT is like. I had to literally suggest to our Computers group to have code run signal traps and spawn threads rather than just go to sleep again and again for like a cumulative (no poo poo) 5 minutes so that it could be sure asynchronously stored data would be where it needed to do the next steps in a hardcoded order. If that sounds like gibberish, basically I helped a car mechanic with a broken down car by suggesting he put gas in it.

I've tried to start code review meetings, but no one wants to come, so technically my code is still a black box. I really ought to just start putting random lines in that do nothing, using the same variable for everything and so on, but I also kinda want to get out of here and onto something better and that sounds like the move when you're done looking for the next thing and wanna dig in like a tick the rest of your life.

hawowanlawow posted:

my brother's eagle ceremony was in a church and we got an angry email for not tipping the priest, that's my scout story

And priests demanding tips is the shittiest thing about being Catholic. They measure the art on the walls of the Vatican in MILES and somehow everyone associated with the org always has a hand out. But always tip the altar boys for every wedding and funeral mass, whether or not it's for someone in your family, whether or not you know someone else already had.
They don't wanna be there any more than a boy scout wants to and run just as big a risk of getting diddled so show some fuckin class.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 29, 2020

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Had one of our kids in scouts last year, and aside from a cool tour of a local fire station they did nothing of value.

It's poo poo show

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
We had Explorer Scouts as counselors as well. I always wished there was a troop near me because they seemed more focused on the outdoor stuff and not trying to grind merit badges.

One camp memory I will always have was a troop of about 5 or 6 teens, probably 16-17 years old, all with down syndrome. These guys, including their Scout Master, chain smoked like you would not believe. The Scout Master was the worst and I doubt he lived to see 1990. 30 seconds after he finished a Marlboro Red, his hands would start to shake so he lit up another. He was also 300 lbs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You tip priests? What kind of indulgent poo poo is that?

I still have fond memories of scouts. Whenever a poor conscript comes to my door to sell me popcorn I buy it. Selling those stupid Entertainer coupon books in full uniform and risking accidentally knocking on the door to a home of a girl I liked was torture.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How much do you tip your local priest? I'm thinking 35% of the bill is appropriate

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

In retrospect, scouting was probably good for me. Fishing, backpacking and shooting at scout camp was a blast. I loathed having to wear that dorky uniform and memorize a bunch of slogans and do a whole bunch of merit badges I didn’t want to do to advance rank, but it beat sitting on my rear end playing vidya all day. I won’t stop my kids from joining if they want to.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ProperGanderPusher posted:

In retrospect, scouting was probably good for me. Fishing, backpacking and shooting at scout camp was a blast.

lmao I didn't check thread title and thought this was someone describing an MMO experience for a moment.

I got a case of Millennial Brain.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

imo we shouldn't have to tip priests, the priest should just take enough money from his flock to pay himself fairly

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

imo we shouldn't have to tip priests, the priest should just take enough money from his flock to pay himself fairly

rear end, grass, or gas no one prays for free.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Either none of you have had kids that got married or aren't catholic. Maybe it's an American thing.

but yeah, the "tip" you give the priest just goes into his pocket. That's one way they skim from the churches. Churches are run like really bad family businesses. You ask for a raise and they tell you "Well there's just isn't a budget this year" but then they suddenly build a 50,000sq. ft. facility with basketball courts and weight rooms.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fwiw the priest who got mad he wasn't tipped was Lutheran, which is pretty funny

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In my experience, when you "tip" pastors, that's all they're making. The church might charge for a space rental, but the pastor himself doesn't bill for his time. So you basically have to tip.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah but he draws a salary from the church, right? Hmm, I guess I don't really understand how priests get paid.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

hawowanlawow posted:

fwiw the priest who got mad he wasn't tipped was Lutheran, which is pretty funny

I don't know why but that pisses me off so much. The greasy corruption in the Catholics I get, I was rasied in it. Isn't that whole religion literally founded on nothing more than 'catholic priests are greedheads''?

silence_kit posted:

Yeah but he draws a salary from the church, right? Hmm, I guess I don't really understand how priests get paid.

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-2008-01-03-3946303-story.html
https://www.mcall.com/news/all-a1_5priest.6212103jan04-story.html
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/priest-charged-with-lying-about-mob-ties/

Oh, they have ways.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 29, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

In my experience, when you "tip" pastors, that's all they're making. The church might charge for a space rental, but the pastor himself doesn't bill for his time. So you basically have to tip.

The priest gets his housing and meals paid for and gets a stipend. He also swore a religious vow to a man who specifically instructed his followers to pursue a life of ascetic poverty. So, uh, gently caress any priest who goes begging. And I can also not speak for anyone but the catholics but there is no large, organized church that does not have billions in resources.

Let the priests form a union if they aren't getting paid enough, or uh, heres a thought, let em read a few histories of stylite saints eat a bag of bugs and shut it.

When I lived in Korea, there was a splinter cult of Buddhism, Won Buddhism (won being the word for 'circle' but, you know, also for money). They were based out of my small town so you'd see em everywhere, and after I'd been there a little while my local coworkers basically explained how everyone hated them, they'd come in a bar with their begging bowl 'with Nike sneakers on and drive off in a Mercedes'. It really felt great seeing my contempt for the religion I grew up in reflected exactly in a different culture's attitude towards their own hometown religion.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 29, 2020

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Coming from a country (Germany) where the Catholic clergy gets paid from general tax revenue, I'd actually prefer it if priests had to get by on tips.

(It's me. I'm the boomer complaining about frivolous public spending. :negative:)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Here they just say that about people begging on the street :shrug:

I guess they have boomers in Japan too huh

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Colonel Cancer posted:

Here they just say that about people begging on the street :shrug:

I guess they have boomers in Japan too huh

If you're referring to the Won Bulkyos, nah man. They said this because the priest literally had these sneakers and parked his car just outside. Their gaudy Scientology style complex was just on the edge of town. It's prosperity Gospel for buddhists. Prosperity Buddhavacana

I got no patience for idiots whose 'brother saw a thing on the news where so called beggars have a house in the suburbs.' Like all things, everywhere, the most outlandish claims of the conservatives are things they themselves do.

And foreign anything is eye-wateringly expensive in Korea. 100% tarriff on foreign cars if I recall. Even the local mobsters drove Daewoo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Catholic priests I believe are assigned and paid by the hierarchy. I think it almost always includes living quarters, healthcare, retirement after active preaching. Obviously the organization has a shitload of money.

Lutheran pastors (and most traditional Protestant pastors) are paid by the congregation. In traditional denominations it can be skimpy based on the dwindling church population. It may or may not come with a manse or parsonage. Healthcare and a pension may or may not exist. I've never seen it include meals or anything like that.

Basically the congregation is paying them to preach on Sundays, attend church events, minister to the sick and homebound, etc. If you want him to officiate at a marriage or Eagle Scout ceremony or whatever else, that's an extra duty and tips are all but required.

(None of this applies to evangelical megachurch setups.)

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 29, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My great-aunt is a retired nun and I can attest it's a pretty sweet retirement. She's spent 30 years having a great old time traveling with her close convent friend (um....) and the last couple years unfortunately in a home as her mind has been going. But she never had to worry what to expect after working 40 years.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there were quite a few kids getting eagle at the same ceremony, I assume one or more of their parents was a member of the church and already ponying up every week

let me just play the world's smallest violin for all the untipped priests out there

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The distinctions between Catholic priests and Protestant pastors may seem irrelevant to "lol sky wizard" types, but the structure and compensation are meaningful differences even if you dgaf about theology.

PipHelix posted:

And I can also not speak for anyone but the catholics but there is no large, organized church that does not have billions in resources.
I got curious so I did some diving. ELCA (the main group of Lutherans) has an endowment fund of $683m (pdf -- mainline Protestant churches are usually pretty transparent about money).

They have about 9,000 congregations. If they had a billion in assets total, that's $317k divided by 9k, meaning each site would be worth about $35k. It's safe to say most real estate is more than that, so it looks like they have between $1 and $2b in assets.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

Basically the congregation is paying them to preach on Sundays, attend church events, minister to the sick and homebound, etc. If you want him to officiate at a marriage or Eagle Scout ceremony or whatever else, that's an extra duty and tips are all but required.

(None of this applies to evangelical megachurch setups.)

When you hire a pastor for a wedding or whatever outside of the church, don't you just pay him though? Why does there need to be a tip? Is it considered to be too low class for them to say that they are charging a fee for their services, and instead fees are 'recommended/required donations/tips'?

When you hire the pastor for an event at his church, isn't the church aware of the fact that the pastor is working the wedding, and why wouldn't they include that work in whatever they are charging to rent the place? Presumably, money that they get from renting the place out for weddings and funerals would go into the church budget. I guess who am I to argue with social conventions, but still.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 29, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

The distinctions between Catholic priests and Protestant pastors may seem irrelevant to "lol sky wizard" types, but the structure and compensation are meaningful differences even if you dgaf about theology.

I Do gaf about the theology, and it's one of the reasons I'm so anti-religion. I know some prots don't do all the Sacraments, but I'm pretty sure you all read the same book where the same Jesus instructs anyone who'd be his follower, and by implication commands anyone who'd attempt to set themselves up as an interpreter of his word, to not only not sweat or whine about money but to literally renounce it in its entirety and live in abject poverty. Outside of some mendicant friaries, I'm not sure there's a single christian offshoot where the priests even attempt to live that.

Any priest who would ever ask someone for money out of their pocket, let alone send a pissy email, doesn't know the first thing about the scriptures.

I tip waiters and bartenders and barbers and taxi drivers, (and currently checkout workers), not priests. They do the world a necessary service, hurt no one, and they didn't choose a $3/hour job as a 'calling'.

-e Then again I'd also never have a church wedding. Holding one and stiffing the officiator is tricky. It's a complete lack of class on the part of the wedding party, but a priest getting bent out of shape about it, in public, in writing, after the fact, is so much worse that the priest loses by default.

But, and I'd like to remind everyone listening, because though I was not an altar boy lots of my friends were, anyone over the age of 18 who doesn't slip the altar boy a 20 (scale it based on resources, 5 is fine) on the way out the door of a non-sunday mass is a total waste of life.
ee because I'm Catholic, I'm gonna carve out an indulgence - women in their mid 20s basically spend all their disposable income every summer for years buying ugly bridesmaid dresses out of pocket and flying cross country to friends' destination weddings, so any MAN, over the age of 18, who doesn't yadda yadda and so on...

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 29, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

PipHelix posted:

I Do gaf about the theology, and it's one of the reasons I'm so anti-religion. I know some prots don't do all the Sacraments, but I'm pretty sure you all read the same book where the same Jesus instructs anyone who'd be his follower, and by implication commands anyone who'd attempt to set themselves up as an interpreter of his word, to not only not sweat or whine about money but to literally renounce it in its entirety and live in abject poverty. Outside of some mendicant friaries, I'm not sure there's a single christian offshoot where the priests even attempt to live that.

Any priest who would ever ask someone for money out of their pocket, let alone send a pissy email, doesn't know the first thing about the scriptures.

I tip waiters and bartenders and barbers and taxi drivers, (and currently checkout workers), not priests. They do the world a necessary service, hurt no one, and they didn't choose a $3/hour job as a 'calling'.

Yeah it seems weird and and tacky and un-Christlike to me for churches to structure payments to pastors and priests in that way. It's like tipping your doctor or your judge at your traffic court trial. But who am I to argue with social convention?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 29, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

silence_kit posted:

When you hire a pastor for a wedding outside of the church, don't you just pay him though? Why does there need to be a tip? Is it considered to be too low class for them to say that they are charging a fee for their services, and instead fees are 'recommended/required donations/tips'?
Yeah, in theory it's because he should officiate for whatever his people need regardless of ability to pay (and in practice, in my experience, he does). But he is being asked to do extra work, and it's appropriate to acknowledge that. (And if you're a poor family he definitely shouldn't be an rear end in a top hat if your tip is less than the standard.)

quote:

When you hire the pastor for a wedding at his church, isn't the church aware of the fact that the pastor is working the wedding, and why wouldn't they include that work in whatever they are charging to rent the place? Presumably, money that they get from renting the place out for weddings and funerals would go into the church budget. I guess who am I to argue with social conventions, but still.
Part of the difference is that the rental fee goes to the church, vs. the tip goes to the pastor. If the church has a big year in events, like 50 weddings instead of 20, the pastor's salary doesn't change even though he's doing a lot of extra work. The extra money the church gets can go to repairing the roof or restocking the food bank or anything else that's needed.

Btw, you can also rent out the church fellowship area for a party or something that doesn't need officiating or even the pastor's presence.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

PipHelix posted:

I mean that's true of all followers, not just priests/pastors. We all suck and fall short of what Jesus wants. I don't know about you, but I'm posting from an iPhone and I bought some poo poo I didn't need yesterday. We should all try to be better, but we should acknowledge people are human and going to slip up. Mote/beam.

Fwiw I do think a Catholic priest hunting for a tip is much worse than a pastor, because a priest has such an unbelievable safety net and the Catholic church has unfathomable amounts of money. For me it also depends on how pissy the email is. Is it like "I hope everything was to your liking, we didn't see an envelope so we weren't sure if there was a problem..." when the pastor is worried about his third kid's medical bills? Or is it straight-up rear end in a top hat?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB78Lx7uPi8

edit: The Sopranos is a pretty Boomer show

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 29, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

For me it also depends on how pissy the email is. Is it like "I hope everything was to your liking, we didn't see an envelope so we weren't sure if there was a problem..." when the pastor is worried about his third kid's medical bills? Or is it straight-up rear end in a top hat?

I did not read it, I was only given the jist. We will never know

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

I mean that's true of all followers, not just priests/pastors. We all suck and fall short of what Jesus wants. I don't know about you, but I'm posting from an iPhone and I bought some poo poo I didn't need yesterday. We should all try to be better, but we should acknowledge people are human and going to slip up. Mote/beam.

I never swore an oath before my community and a God I am supposed by that community to sincerely believe in, to renounce material goods. I mean, I still manage to be better about greed and materialism than say that Fr. Sica guy I posted about above, but whether I do or do not, neither I nor you are priests and therefore we don't even have so much as a mote in our eyes.

The combination of 1 having done a lot of time in catholic school which internalized a lot of the rules and theology, then 2 renouncing the faith mainly because of how terrible the institution is at living up to an set of moral guidlines I think are honestly pretty solid, chucking over the bad stuff to come up with my own set of rules for myself to live by and then 3 spending time in lefty circles, it's funny to me how much the morals of even people who are radical atheists or irreligious are informed by if not carbon copies of christian morality. In ways they can't even see and would never admit.

Long story, we can have iphones and be pissy to those who stiff us at work, they can't. Christian morality is only 'normal' for Christians.

Anne Whateley posted:

when the pastor is worried about his third kid's medical bills? Or is it straight-up rear end in a top hat?

I forget you guys let your priests dick each other down. Instinctually it seems shocking but then I remember what our guys get up to when you wall off that outlet...

Anyway, yea if you have mouths to feed at home I can see that becoming a legit issue, but also, and not to turn this into Scripture Chat, I think Jesus also says forsake your family, probably for the exact reason they haven't volunteered to eat bugs and honey with you in a hole in the Sinai desert for the next 50 years and it would be cruel to make them. Maybe that's goalpost move-y, I acknowledge it's something I gotta think more about. But only the protestants, gently caress catholic priests and any other celibate orders who are scrapping around for money like the rest of us.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 29, 2020

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Boomers like to complain on their local paper's Facebook when they report the state having record new infections of coronavirus and ask "Why don't y'all ever post any good news?"

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Unperson_47 posted:

Boomers like to complain on their local paper's Facebook when they report the state having record new infections of coronavirus and ask "Why don't y'all ever post any good news?"

Boomers think that their newspaper is supposed to cheer them up in the morning, instead of their family or friendships, their hobbies or any other experience they have control over themselves. They are uninterested in interrogating why they lack any personal sources of joy in their lives.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

A lot of sincere stuff about religion

Since I've been bringing the heat about religion, and you seem to take this very seriously, I'm gonna try to set up what I'm actually for instead of twatting at anything anyone else volunteers.

In a Preface to Morals, there's a distinction drawn between religion as cosmology and religion as philosophy. Basically in every religion there's an explanation of how the world and things generally came to be, and instructions for how one should be in the world. Each are completely independent and unnecessary to the other and as such, most denominations are divided into people who use their faith to explain and control things and those who use it to inform their behavior and outlook, and again, their approaches are so different as to be essentially two different religions. With the understanding that if you're only looking for the best way to behave, most religions have so much overlap that syncretism is not problem for the latter, Everything That Rises Must Converge and so on. Which generally leads those people to at the very least nonconform, if not go heterodox or defect entirely (depending on the social consequences of course). You can tell which side I identify with.

Anyway, we should behave in a way that creates the minimum additional suffering in the world with the understanding that it's basically impossible to live in the world without hurting some people by some amount. Smart phones are gross, but they're becoming necessary to interface with society in anyway at all, for instance. So we can and should forgive ourselves, but just enough to not get discouraged and not so much we become that FL shitbird a few pages back who killed his wife with the VID but prayed one up to Jesus on it and sincerely believes he's done been forgave. Anyway this is all very airyfairy standard issue 'I'm not religious I'm spiritual' nonsense. My specific addition is I think it's perfectly all right to judge people for their hypocrisies and failings, and to judge with harshness according to how they judge others.

I don't hate Christianity, I think it's a really good religion that if I'm being honest with myself I couldn't possibly live up to. That book has some straight up hardcore straightedge renunciation of the temporal world in it. So therefore anyone who identifies as a Catholic or WASP, and they don't even hit my standards of decent behavior/asceticism? And they've traditionally been VERY comfortable ruining the lives of people they felt weren't living according to their scripture? gently caress em all sideways. I respect the religion enough to get extremely mad on it's behalf when someone degrades it by breaking its tenets while claiming to embody them.

Also organized, coordinated, rape of children. I don't care for that much, either.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 29, 2020

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Somewhere around my earliest days of employment (mowing lawns, walking dogs), I was told by my then-catholic family about tithing. You're supposed to give 10% of what you earn, usually in the collection plate. This is every week, for the heathen among you.
One day the Lord became angry with young phasmid, who was just a boy.

"I remember you telling your mother that you were going to start tithing. That money goes to help the church, everything we do. I noticed you haven't tithed this week."
"I'm sorry, Father. (mumbling) Warcraft 2 just came out."
The priest was just staring now.

I proceeded to tell him how cool Warcraft 2 was and got about thirty seconds in before he used his catholic guiltmagic to make me stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

phasmid posted:

Somewhere around my earliest days of employment (mowing lawns, walking dogs), I was told by my then-catholic family about tithing. You're supposed to give 10% of what you earn, usually in the collection plate. This is every week, for the heathen among you.
One day the Lord became angry with young phasmid, who was just a boy.

"I remember you telling your mother that you were going to start tithing. That money goes to help the church, everything we do. I noticed you haven't tithed this week."
"I'm sorry, Father. (mumbling) Warcraft 2 just came out."
The priest was just staring now.

I proceeded to tell him how cool Warcraft 2 was and got about thirty seconds in before he used his catholic guiltmagic to make me stop.

They want tithes and then they want offerings and then they want everyone to pitch in some cash to build some unnecessary expansion to the church that they never use or to buy some golden candlesticks or whatever.

I think that 10% tithe is supposed to be taken out of your paycheck BEFORE taxes because the Lord is supposed to get the first share or whatever. gently caress that. Boomers hate taxes but love that poo poo I guess.

You made the right choice buying Warcraft 2.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 29, 2020