Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Outrail posted:

Cross posting from the Trump thread:
I would have reflexively screamed at this man and probably gotten my dumb rear end arrested. Holy gently caress that dude is more pampered than a diaper factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i saw this and now you have to see it too:

https://boomerflashback.com/

i'm reluctant to enter that rabbit hole

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

dee eight posted:

its kinda like those Time special edition magazines on the grocery store racks, all in one place

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh hell yeah it's the lovely listicle site version of Reminisce magazine.

I think about what it must be like to be a staff writer at Reminsce sometimes and fail to imagine it every time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

I think about what it must be like to be a staff writer at Reminsce sometimes and fail to imagine it every time.

Probably pretty loving easy. Like this 1951 in Review article, Wikipedia just has a page on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951

Copy the good stuff in a day, spend the rest of the month playing video games.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

dee eight posted:

pffftt. Should have made that web 1.0 and ran it optimized for 800x600 resolution

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kenning posted:

My roommate has expressed on more than one occasion the desire to get a subscription to this magazine :shrug:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.everythingzoomer.com/

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

dee eight posted:

quote:

The Boomer Generation
Born after the Second World War, from 1946 up to 1964, baby boomers are well-known members of society. They are people who have unique characteristics, most of which the latest generation may not possess.

According to scholars, baby boomers have such notable traits because they were born during America’s transition. The country was one of the very few countries that the war affected the least. America generated a lot of income as the war went on. After the chaos, it was far richer than other countries that lost their natural resources, manpower, and wealth. During this time, America bloomed, developed, and took over the world. Baby boomers were born during this period of privilege and prosperity. Everyone around them was charmed and the majority of the population was changed. Here are their characteristics:

• Hardworking
• Motivated by prestige and high positions
• Define self-worth by their professional accomplishments and work
• Confident
• Self-reliant
• Independent
• Passionate
• Dedicated
• Resourceful
• Powerful belief in character
• Adaptation
• Open to change
• Unafraid of challenges
• Inclined to start businesses
• Usually switch careers
• Avoid long term planning
• Like listening to rock and roll
• Goal-oriented
• Idealistic
• Competitive
• Change as time changes
• Hold a positive attitude
• Pragmatic
• Concerned with environment and health issues
• Enjoy vacations and free time

While I find ancient pop culture stuff to be interesting in its own right, lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ponzicar posted:

quote:

• Avoid long term planning
• Goal-oriented

These were only 2 items apart.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
• Hardworking

:thunk:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

ikanreed posted:

These were only 2 items apart.

that just means they want it NOW

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Probably not wrong that they will be the last generation to have the characteristics of 'gets a vacation'.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ponzicar posted:

I'm surprised that whoever wrote that can type so well with one hand.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the last time I went on an actual vacation was like 2008

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

my wife and i took a week off two years ago and went camping

e: meanwhile my garbage parents who are retired love talking about how much they like not working and traveling while we struggled to make rent

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

my wife and i took a week off two years ago and went camping

e: meanwhile my garbage parents who are retired love talking about how much they like not working and traveling while we struggled to make rent

Did they buy one of those RVs that's the size of a charter bus?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

i rented an rv for a vacation once. it convinced me that i sure as hell don't want to own one.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

Boomer Mom "Call this number! They are saying they are going charge me 289$ unless I tell them to stop!"

Entire house yelling "It is a scammer! They didn't even tell you the company, let alone confirm that you are the account holder! Do you have an account with them? NO!"

Mom "It might be one of you though!"

My Aunt (Boomer): Gets a call from "Microsoft" that their computer is infected, pays them 500$ to fix it (install spyware).

My grandma (Greatest generation, mother of boomers): Gets a call claiming to be me and that I'm in prison and need her to wire me 1000$ for bail. As soon as she gets off the phone she immediately calls my cell phone to verify that it was a scammer.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The greatest Generation failed to instill their values in the boomer generation.

However the Boomers have the same problem that the privileged children of anyone who had to work hard to get to their position has they are afforded so much luxury and choice that they don't replicate their parents attitudes and abilities.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arven posted:

My grandma (Greatest generation, mother of boomers): Gets a call claiming to be me and that I'm in prison and need her to wire me 1000$ for bail. As soon as she gets off the phone she immediately calls my cell phone to verify that it was a scammer.

My grandparents got this call. They didn't call me, but they called my mom. Apparently I was in a foreign prison.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

quote:

• Change as time changes

That has to be the most obviously wrong one. Every boomer I've met refuses to change as time goes on.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Did they buy one of those RVs that's the size of a charter bus?

no they fly places in stay in hotels and talk about how cool italy is while not understanding that their children's lives will be materially worse than their own

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

My grandparents got this call. They didn't call me, but they called my mom. Apparently I was in a foreign prison.

My grandmother got one for my cousin, who was supposedly being held and needed bail.

She said “Phone your father!” and hung up.

They must use Facebook to target the elderly

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Arven posted:

My Aunt (Boomer): Gets a call from "Microsoft" that their computer is infected, pays them 500$ to fix it (install spyware).

They get these. The Microsoft one they hang up on, neither use computers. The 'I'm in prison' one was my nephew to my dad, who said drat, better call your base commander, and hung up, after they said he was is Georgia, send the money to Texas so he can be bailed out in North Carolina.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Boomer vacations involve imprisoning themselves in gated resorts and city-sized ships because they're terrified of poor people who speak a different language than them

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Outrail posted:

• Hardworking

:thunk:

All but the first one are true though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ikanreed posted:

All but the first one are true though.

Well, they do value hard work. In others. Preferably paired with a suitably subservient attitude.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Arven posted:

my mom gets these in two languages: the korean ones cant speak english without my weird rear end accent and the english ones cant speak korean so lol

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
At this point what use does a phone number have other than two-factor authentication?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not useful for 2fa, either

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Why's that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you have some resources which are not hard to get or an insider, its straightforward to get phone numbers reassigned

they got cloudflare that way and jack dorseys personal twitter account

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Boomer vacations involve imprisoning themselves in gated resorts and city-sized ships because they're terrified of poor people who speak a different language than them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMIvywLO2tw

I wouldn't get on a cruise ship even if it was free.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kenning posted:

So I've been reading how people developing color film need to take special care when processing photos of non-white folks, because otherwise the photos can come out looking very bad.

I'm guessing the photo people at that magazine never need to worry about that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Boomers can't imagine a black person who doesn't look like Mr. Popo anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
However it is that Roku disseminates the channel guide data for over the air TV is currently broken, so that brings boomers out to boom on the support forums to threaten to never buy their products again!

DeanD posted:

Just started for me today, Feb 25, 2021. The fact that this has been an ongoing and recurring issue for so many people with so many different hardware brands, but all RoKu firmware of various builds, indicates that this problem is soley the responsibility of Roku. The fact that they (RoKu) won't address it beyond the advice to basically reboot your TV as if it is some useless Windows PC is ridiculous. If this is not addressed and resolved directly by Roku PDQ, I will never buy another RoKu product and will inform everyone I know not to buy your products either. I am an IT contractor with many customers who also turn to me for advice on the personal technology needs as well as their PC/Network needs.

badtvexperience posted:

I hate Roku, they are so invasive! They just don't know how to leave well alone! They changed the channel guide and made it the streaming guide with the option to hide the streaming guide when all they had to do was leave well alone and let us just use the app. Now we can't do what we used to do with the original Over The Air guide like go back 8 days. And now "No Data Available" issues.

It's like a group of bored programmers decide to re-code stuff just to have a reason for a paycheck; using our television experience for job security. As soon as I'm in the market for a new television I will stay FAR away from Roku!!!!

:rip:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

do not come between a boomer and their TV Guide

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
Wait am I reading that wrong or does that second person want to be able to read the guide from 8 days ago?

Why on earth would you want to read an 8 day old TV guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My mum still buys a physical Radio Times tv guide for the xmas period