Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Barudak posted:

I feel like it works best in hoodie format

not my style, but yeah i concur.

fashion snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Of note, those garden hoses Facebook Boomers brag about drinking out of? You’re not supposed to do that because the water has lead in it.

Most definitely reminds them of their youth.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

Of note, those garden hoses Facebook Boomers brag about drinking out of? You’re not supposed to do that because the water has lead in it.

Most definitely reminds them of their youth.

All hose water has lead in it? Was this still true in like 1988?

I definitely remember drinking out of some hoses. :ohdear:

Edit: it's true even today. Regardless, I drank a fuckton out of the spring that fed the cow trough, and I'm fairly certain those pipes were ancient, so I'm proper hosed. :(

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 6, 2019

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Edit: it's true even today. Regardless, I drank a fuckton out of the spring that fed the cow trough, and I'm fairly certain those pipes were ancient, so I'm proper hosed. :(

your already lead.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

Old pipes are usually fine since the lead develops a patina that prevents direct contact. Flint had lead pipes for years without problems, but then they switched to untreated water from another source that scoured away the protective coating.

The lead in hoses is from the brass fittings. So it’s an alloy instead of pure lead and isn’t an issue unless you drink hose water all the time like Boomers chasing that giddy high.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Framboise posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/05/jamie-dimon-says-sen-elizabeth-warren-vilifies-successful-people.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/04/leon-cooperman-tears-up-talking-about-america-elizabeth-warren.html

One says "don't vilify successful people"-- translation: "waaaah don't hate me because I'm rich I DESERVE THIS I EARNED THIS"

Another breaks down in literal tears at the notion that making billions and billions off an industry that exploited the absolute gently caress out of my generation is a bad thing that he is guilty of.

Like. I have a student loan with Navient. I've been making payments on an income based payment plan (PSLF, which has only given forgiveness to 1% of people on the plan). I have not missed a single payment in almost 7 years.

My balance is HIGHER than what it started out as. gently caress Navient, gently caress this guy, his wrinkled pruny rear end and wrinkled pruny asses like his can't leave the mortal coil fast enough.

Throwing literal motherfucking tantrums over not being worshipped when you're among the most wealthy people in the world from trampling on the backs of millions of people and being accused of being the blight on humanity you are is quite possibly even more Boomer than Trump being angry that New York praised his departure to Florida.

Like, I don't think it gets more Boomer than this.

What really stinks is that when the student loan crisis hits the breaking point and the loans get forgiven these assholes won't suffer any consequences. The people that will suffer will be the office drones who were barely making ends meet at $10/h that'll be out of work. It's the same with many exploitation industries. :sigh:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Coolguye posted:

if it was part time it's even a worse look for him really. a 30$/hr job that is part time? literally does not exist now outside of some side programming gig or something.
For years I was unable to appreciate how different salaries were in the 60s and 70s. Sure I knew that my parents were able to raise two kids and get loans to build a new house and buy rental properties on a single grocery store produce manager's wage, but it was hard to really connect it. Until I read an interview with one of the members of Devo (if not Jerry, maybe original founder Bob Lewis) lamenting how in the early/mid 70s, when they went to Kent State with subsidized tuition, they could work a part time job and completely paid for the remainder of their tuition as well as room and board, and still have money left over and of course left college with zero debt.

(needless to say, this being Devo they weren't Boomering over it; they were decrying how much it sucks now for young adults)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s an age limit where older people don’t understand that college is going to be expensive no matter what. The cheapest 4 year school in my state is now 12k a year, and I would hear how I just needed to work and save and be more responsible with my money, like it was something you could just save over a summer.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

The lead in hoses is from the brass fittings. So it’s an alloy instead of pure lead and isn’t an issue unless you drink hose water all the time like Boomers chasing that giddy high.

Guess what every faucet and valve in your home is made from? In the last 20 years many fixtures were marketed as "lead-free", but that just means that the lead content is below a certain threshold (usually around 2-3%), not zero. Only in the last few years did they start using things like silicon or copper alloys to replace the lead in the manufacture of brass, which lowered the lead content of brass fittings to 0.25% or lower.

e: In the case a of a garden hose, the lead concern doesn't come from the fittings, it comes from the hose itself, which also contains a smorgasbord of other things you don't want to drink. Some hoses tested had upwards of 6% lead in their hose material composition.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What really stinks is that when the student loan crisis hits the breaking point and the loans get forgiven these assholes won't suffer any consequences. The people that will suffer will be the office drones who were barely making ends meet at $10/h that'll be out of work. It's the same with many exploitation industries. :sigh:

The only people who are going to force student loan forgiveness and not debtor's prison are going to be the people who make the rich assholes suffer. (by making them pay the taxes they were supposed to)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Any eventual student loan forgiveness program will invariably be a government handout to banks. Lenders operated under regulations approved by the government (and lobbied for by banks, but still).

They may get banks to take a haircut (say 10% off the total), but they’ll still make their money courtesy of taxpayers. That’s not to say it’s a bad idea as long as the laws are changed at the same time to prevent this bullshit from happening again. Also there’s the joy of watching Boomers bitch about their taxes going up.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What do you think a solution could be? I'm genuinely at a loss as well.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The only people who are going to force student loan forgiveness and not debtor's prison are going to be the people who make the rich assholes suffer. (by making them pay the taxes they were supposed to)

I think it needs to go a step beyond that. Higher education should be an affordable, if not free, right, not a privilege. The exploitation needs to end on top of forgiveness to end the cycle too.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Framboise posted:

Murder the rich? :confused:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Black August posted:

Murder the rich? :confused:

:hmmorks:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

dee eight posted:

Looking at people by group titles such as silent, boomer, x, y, or omega is really only useful as a chronological tag. Each group has within itself a gazillion bell curves of good/bad, rich/poor, smart/dumb, X/Y. Each individual within each group is a person to be judged on their own merits and not by an arbitrary label over their heads.

It's also seems a bit of compartmentalization which is, um... how many steps from otherizing?

e: that article didn't mention the beat generation or the pepsi generation. wtf

millenials lack the social cachet to otherize boomers because we do not control the capitalist enterprise that profits from otherization.

edit- but like, good work trying to score points for team boomer using some words you heard an SJW use.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

I feel like it works best in hoodie format

I want to me the Uber Millennial. Bring me a combination Ok Boomer/Ahegao hoodie!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Framboise posted:

the primary market based solution would be to remove the protections on the loan class (e.g., crap like it can't be discharged through bankruptcy) and let the loans that are going to fail go ahead and fail in the same way credit card debts and other unsecured loans have done for decades. it'll ruin credit but better credit than entire lives, no?

this will have the bang-on effect of making student loans much more difficult to get and forcing lots of students to leave school because their parents either can't or won't co-sign on their loans but it's possible to argue that the ubiquitous availability of college degrees has made lots of jobs make them an unnecessary requirement while not paying people for having them so perhaps that isn't all bad either.

to be clear, i don't think this is a real solution in that it is both helpful for more people than it hurts (the job market effects of abruptly forcing so many students to leave school would probably do our generation more harm than good, at least in the short term) and would be popular enough to pass a democratic process (as mentioned, the loanholders would have an aneurysm) but it is a path forward that doesn't involve appeasing financial institutions. perhaps we can think about it and come back to it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2019/nov/06/ok-boomer-millennial-mp-responds-to-heckler-in-new-zealand-parliament-video

Beautiful

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

dee eight posted:

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

I feel like this is one of those quotes the needs an even sassier follow-up, kinda like:

'The early bird gets the worm...'
'-But the second mouse gets the cheese'

Trying to figure out what kind of comeback one can have with blindness?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

the primary market based solution would be to remove the protections on the loan class (e.g., crap like it can't be discharged through bankruptcy) and let the loans that are going to fail go ahead and fail in the same way credit card debts and other unsecured loans have done for decades. it'll ruin credit but better credit than entire lives, no?

this will have the bang-on effect of making student loans much more difficult to get and forcing lots of students to leave school because their parents either can't or won't co-sign on their loans but it's possible to argue that the ubiquitous availability of college degrees has made lots of jobs make them an unnecessary requirement while not paying people for having them so perhaps that isn't all bad either.

to be clear, i don't think this is a real solution in that it is both helpful for more people than it hurts (the job market effects of abruptly forcing so many students to leave school would probably do our generation more harm than good, at least in the short term) and would be popular enough to pass a democratic process (as mentioned, the loanholders would have an aneurysm) but it is a path forward that doesn't involve appeasing financial institutions. perhaps we can think about it and come back to it.

Nullify the loans, and drat the consequences!

No loans, no masters.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I feel like this is one of those quotes the needs an even sassier follow-up, kinda like:

So cut their goddamn throat instead

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

“A world without consequences gives us Boomers.”

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Edit: Lol wrong thread sorry

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
My dad is in the boomer generation, but is definitely a pay-it-forward guy, so I don't 'okay boomer' him all the time. I did throw 'Life's not Fair' at him one time when we got served after another table and he said that 'it wasn't fair'. He continued to complain after that, to which I replied 'not my problem'. In his defense he shut up after that and enjoyed his coffee. Felt good.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

make it sound better but basically, if the whole world looks the other way then we might as well all be blind anyhow

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ "Only in blindness can Justice see"

'where we're going, we don't need eyes to see' is good but not really sassy as much as existentially foreboding

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 6, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

e. hopefully the civilisations that come after will be less lovely

If I've learned anything from history, it's that people don't learn anything from history.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What hurts people being on board with student loan forgiveness is the crab in a bucket people that already had to give their pound of flesh their whole life and don't like being the last ones to suffer. Right wingers will absolutely latch onto these outliers with zero self reflection about the bigger problem.

It'll just be "why should I have bothered to save for college when I could've just whined to the government to pay it for me?" all drat day.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
In genuine fairness it does suck for those who didn't get the luxury of super cheap college 20+ years ago who already paid their poo poo off.

On the other hand, they must be doing all right if they were actually able to pay them off. <_<

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Framboise posted:

In genuine fairness it does suck for those who didn't get the luxury of super cheap college 20+ years ago who already paid their poo poo off.
40. You mean 40.

/entered college 20 years ago and the ridiculous inflation was already yesterday's news :negative:

Panfilo posted:

It'll just be "why should I have bothered to save for college when I could've just whined to the government to pay it for me?" all drat day.

Yup it is an extremely Boomer mentality to get hung up on someone else getting something that they didn't "for free."

And before someone tries to :ironicat: me about Millennials acting that way toward Boomers with their lifetime of higher wages and lower costs-- we're not mad that they got a good deal, we're mad about a whole lot surrounding the good deal and how they were absolute garbage people.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
boomers are evil because the ones that survived this long were rich. it's the rich that are all-over evil, in general. let's murder the rich and burn their money.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
As someone about four months away from paying off a student loan for a useless BA I got 10 years ago, I just want to say—what kind of sociopath doesn’t want free college for everyone else? Goddamn. That poo poo sucked.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Its possible to be pro gravy train and a little disappointed that you personally missed the gravy train at the same time

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

I don't know if your average garden hose still contains lead, but it's enough of a concern that as of a few years ago, you could buy hoses that specifically advertise lead free fittings.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgor5b8db_o

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Sure I drank from the hose a few times as a dumb kid, but why the gently caress would anyone brag about drinking water out of a filthy tube that never gets cleaned and lies around rotting in extreme cold and heat year round? Even if there's no lead you're most likely sucking down a bunch of deteriorated rubber and plastic.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
part of the issue with detaching college from costs is that there's not even a real consensus on what college should be for. there's a lot of people who see more education as its own benefit because of the overall civic boon you attain from having a better educated populace (which, in purely clinical terms, tends to boil back to equal parts memetic study in art, literature, and other cultural themes to better equip people to understand others and systemic study in the common institutions that exist, like how government and the fractional banking system works), and others who see it as a time to specialize for whatever economic niche you intend to home yourself in for your career.

the former would rail against liberal arts stuff being de-emphasized for good reason, since working with other people and systems is only going to become more important as the world integrates further, and the latter would rail against career training being de-emphasized because ultimately a good paying job is the point of education. countries that have left this option open to people and just let them study whatever they want have more often than not ended up with regressive systems that penalize the poor for studying at all (scotland is a good example of this).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Time Cowboy posted:

As someone about four months away from paying off a student loan for a useless BA I got 10 years ago, I just want to say—what kind of sociopath doesn’t want free college for everyone else? Goddamn. That poo poo sucked.

Free college is great. However, it's understandable that people, most of whom graduated in the 00s to a series of bursting bubbles and a global recession, are bitter about how they are generally behind in life and still playing catch-up due to factors outside of their control. "Oh look, these kids are graduating debt free while I'm pushing 40, still paying off loans and living in a crappy closet apartment"

Where you draw the line is a legitimate question, because you're basically telling the people on the other side "too bad, gently caress you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The_Franz posted:

Free college is great. However, it's understandable that people, most of whom graduated in the 00s to a series of bursting bubbles and a global recession, are bitter about how they are generally behind in life and still playing catch-up due to factors outside of their control. "Oh look, these kids are graduating debt free while I'm pushing 40, still paying off loans and living in a crappy closet apartment"

Where you draw the line is a legitimate question, because you're basically telling the people on the other side "too bad, gently caress you".

You sound crabby