Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JonathonSpectre posted:

I used to do commentary on the PA for local middle school football games. One team's band played "The Imperial March" when their D got a 3rd down stop. Every three or four times they'd do it I'd say something like, "Thanks to the band for that sci-fi classic, the Theme to Battlestar Galactica!" or "Star Trek!" or "Ice Pirates!"

At the end of the game a neckbeard came up to the pressbox and bitched at me for not knowing my sci-fi and asked me if I was proud of myself for "confusing the children."

I said, "Very proud. Listen, who do you think is the best captain of the Enterprise, Luke or Yoda?"

No you loving didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Shibawanko posted:

i think i might have posted this before but i'm not sure and it completely summarizes what the older generation is like for me, so here goes: my mom has some friends who are sort of rich cruise ship type people who went on holiday to visit hitler's mountain retreat "to learn about history", the guy is fat and the lady is frumpy and annoying, they live in a countryside mansion. one day an elephant wanders into their garden and starts eating pears from one of their trees and just generally being an elephant. their reaction to this event is to call the police and shout at them over the phone to come and shoot the elephant.

the elephant apparently used to belong to a zoo but was retired after it became illegal to use wild animals in zoos here in the netherlands, it gets taken for walks in the woods but had wandered off somehow and its owner was looking for it. the story made the local news. i think if this had happened to me id probably be a bit worried that the elephant would cause some damage or something and i guess i would call some animal rescue agency or something, but these people just went straight for "loving shoot it" and even afterwards they didnt have a sense of humor about the event or realised how it might be funny or cool to have an actual elephant show up in your backyard, even as just like an amusing anecdote

of course the elephant wasnt shot or anything, the police knew who the owner was and let him know about it, but that reaction the couple had to a big animal walking into their garden and doing nothing worse than stealing pears was the most "boomer" thing i can think of

I adopted my dog from an elephant sanctuary due to a trip I could finally afford because my elephant-loving grandma passed away. I hope Klaus comes back to life and steals their bikes.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No you loving didn't.

That's not really the most outrageously cool or clever story I've ever heard. Seems pretty possible and reasonable to me, and literally the exact thing dickhead highschoolers do for fun.

See also me telling essentially the same story about my high school. It doesn't take a Simpsons writers room to hit on deliberately confusing references to two massively prominent popculture franchises with really excitable humorless fanbases.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Nothing ever happened on the internet so just enjoy the story instead of being oh so clever by going, "nuh uh."

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

A nerd not picking up on obvious jokes and angrily confronting someone about lore is completely believable.

Remind me again why society decided nerds were cool around 2002 again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The North Tower posted:

I adopted my dog from an elephant sanctuary due to a trip I could finally afford because my elephant-loving grandma passed away. I hope Klaus comes back to life and steals their bikes.

...there's a story how you adopted a dog from an elephant sanctuary. Was it raised by elephants? Did it think it was a very small elephant?

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Dameius posted:

Nothing ever happened on the internet so just enjoy the story instead of being oh so clever by going, "nuh uh."

I've, no joke, at a job had someone tell a story at the lunch table about 'his uncle' that I recognized from my elementary school 'become funny by memorizing every jokebook you can find' phase. I even blurted out the punchline to this guy's story and said 'Yea I remember that one.' Which, yes, rude given I thought the guy was telling a joke and I was stepping on his punchline but he looked me dead in the eye and swore this was a real story that really happened and then concluded, blown punchline and all.

So yea, some people have told lame stories that were also made up, but generally unless its something where your rear end would have made the evening news if you'd pulled it off, I'm generally inclined to allow people the benefit of the doubt. Who cares if they ARE lying?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

...there's a story how you adopted a dog from an elephant sanctuary. Was it raised by elephants? Did it think it was a very small elephant?

Reminds me of when I was at the zoo in Canberra, and there was a cheetah and dog sleeping cuddled up against each other in the same enclosure. The cheetah cub was the only one of it's litter to survive birth. Since cheetah cubs need to be socialized to grow up healthy they introduced the cub to a puppy. They grew up as together and still see each other as siblings to this day.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So on the one hand maybe a goon decided to make up a story to impress people on the internet. They invent a story about them making dad jokes at some guy at a middle school football game and somehow concluded that is the most impressive thing they can come up with.
On the other hand maybe a nerd got really mad and insisted on correcting a total stranger about nerd trivia. Which one of those is more likely?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ProperGanderPusher posted:

A nerd not picking up on obvious jokes and angrily confronting someone about lore is completely believable.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when nerds became cool, but I feel it was later than 2002. You can't really point to a specific thing, but if you were going to for the sake of argument, I'd say it would be either "when normal people started playing video games regularly" or "when Game of Thrones".

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
boomers think big bang theory and Nazis are cool, actually

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chomp8645 posted:

It's hard to pinpoint exactly when nerds became cool, but I feel it was later than 2002. You can't really point to a specific thing, but if you were going to for the sake of argument, I'd say it would be either "when normal people started playing video games regularly" or "when Game of Thrones".

drat you for making me look it up, but the Big Bang Theory premiered in 2007.

I feel like nerds becoming popular was a combination of the first generation of nerds from birth aging into adulthood, and the foothold of the internet. I'm not exactly sure if 2002 would be too early, but it wouldn't have been much later.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
And ultimately what really matters in the thread about an aging generation of narcissistic sociopaths, is the veracity of this unrelated story.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Dameius posted:

Yeah, this whole edgy "I've never said anything clever/mildly funny in public so neither did you" shtick got tiring years ago. Let people tell their anecdotes, and if you don't believe it or don't think it's funny, move on.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You really think people are going to do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I’m guessing when they started to make a poo poo ton of money at tech firms.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m guessing when they started to make a poo poo ton of money at tech firms.

Making a shitload of money in tech was a thing as far back as the late 80s and 90s. You still had imagery of nerds as unpleasant awkward autists with big glasses and pocket protectors in those days though, which made tech professions appear a lot less sexy than they appear now.

I grew up in the Bay Area and I feel the pivot came earlier there than the rest of the country, which probably happened sometime in the late oughts. I could still get a ticket at the door at ComicCon as late as 2004, for example. In spite of being ahead of everyone else, I still got my balls busted for liking Star Trek right up until JJ Abrams came along. Tabletop gaming used to be laughed at by almost everyone too and D&D was a sort of shameful secret. I don’t know what did away with that view.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I figured it's because after the great recession hit computer touchers were one of the few groups with disposable income so they started getting pandered to.

Boomers like telling you that comp sci and IT are low status, low wage professions and wouldn't you rather go into something lucrative with a future like law?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Soylent Pudding posted:

I figured it's because after the great recession hit computer touchers were one of the few groups with disposable income so they started getting pandered to.

Boomers like telling you that comp sci and IT are low status, low wage professions and wouldn't you rather go into something lucrative with a future like law?

don't forget doctoring, which is definitely doing just fine and getting half a mil in debt so you can die when your severely understaffed hospital forces you to work without PPE is prestigious as hell

but also all doctors are quacks and my friend from work who sells mary kay says homeopathic lavender oil is all you need to stay safe

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Eldercain posted:

but also all doctors are quacks and my friend from work who sells mary kay says homeopathic lavender oil is all you need to stay safe

I can finally post about my boomer dad! :woop:
For context, he is German and lives in Germany. Last week he posted some long screed by some Doctor lamenting the total overreaction to COVID-19 by the German government and confidently stating there would be no second wave.

The "Doctor" did indeed have a MD, but specialized in homeopathy in a very remote practice in the northern islands off the German coast (Ostfriesland).
:hmmyes: that's the guy I want to listen to when it comes to global pandemics, not those know-nothing ***checks notes*** global pandemic experts!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think this definitely helped. Also with the embrace of nerds as "cool," you have a lot of kids growing up over the last 20 years, that had they had their formative years in the 80's or 90's, might not have embraced nerd things because it was frowned upon by their peers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It started with Fellowship of the Ring. After that you have big series like LOTR, Harry Potter, and the star wars prequels putting out installments constantly for the first few years of the 00s. This was a huge cultural event. Return of the King won best picture. And all this is happening as the first crop of millennials, who are the first generation that has never known a world where Super Mario didn't exist, are entering the world and starting to do stuff. Once capitalism realized how much millennials love their nerd stuff, crossovers, epic stories, etc. it's not gonna let go easily. So once these early "shared universe" franchises are starting to wrap up, the superhero boom starts. Dark Knight in 2008 solidified the idea that nerd stuff was Serious Artistic Works, erasing any remaining stigma that a grown man might have faced for going to a Batman movie. That same year Iron Man came out and the MCU started. At that point I think it's pretty well established as a mainstream thing.

Honestly it started with the tech boom of the Clinton years and a bunch of nerds getting decent jobs. Once nerds had money it was just a matter of time before someone made something for them to spend it on.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I have a friend who is a Director of Support in a very well known software company. His Boomer father always says, "well if you teach all the people how to learn computers, they won't need support and you'll be out of a job!!"

I worked one small software shop where the head of R&D ran a comic book store with a buddy of his. They gave all the in house Devs something like 20% off all merch and these guys were buying hundreds of dollars a month on rare Star Wars/Star Trek/DC/Marvel/etc exclusive toys and replicas.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm guessing the acceptability of being a nerd is tied to millennials/zoomers not giving as much of a gently caress about what the neighbors think(so they're less likely to hide their nerd hobbies out of perceived shame, which also means you'll see more normal people who like nerdy things instead of just socially awkward dudes), the internet making it much easier to get into obscure nerdy poo poo in the first place, and of course

Soylent Pudding posted:

after the great recession hit computer touchers were one of the few groups with disposable income so they started getting pandered to.
creating a lot more mainstream nerdy poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

It started with Fellowship of the Ring.

If we're going to go by media, you could argue that it was the Matrix, or even further back with the Star Wars Special Edition theatrical releases.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bonzo posted:

I have a friend who is a Director of Support in a very well known software company. His Boomer father always says, "well if you teach all the people how to learn computers, they won't need support and you'll be out of a job!!"

I worked one small software shop where the head of R&D ran a comic book store with a buddy of his. They gave all the in house Devs something like 20% off all merch and these guys were buying hundreds of dollars a month on rare Star Wars/Star Trek/DC/Marvel/etc exclusive toys and replicas.

Christ, being able to teach other people skills is one of the best ways to stay employed or get promoted at a reasonable employer.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The moment everything changed was 1993-94 when Screech and Urkel were banished to the pits of Hell by Mulder, Scully, and Lisa Simpson.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Solkanar512 posted:

Christ, being able to teach other people skills is one of the best ways to stay employed or get promoted at a reasonable employer.

Hold everyone else back so you come out looking better is boomer as gently caress though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I mean, I've refused to teach someone something recently, but it was because I didn't have time to teach him how to do it properly so I don't have to go back and fix it later. I'm not opposed to it, because it's nice being able to pawn off some of my work on someone else and still get paid the same.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

It’s always boomer middle managers who treat their underlings as threats to their job rather than teammates, especially if they show any real initiative. I’ve been at offices where nobody shares macros with anyone but their closest buddies because they’re afraid of someone outperforming them. I rarely see anything like this at offices that aren’t run by olds.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

There's no I in team but there is an I in disinformation. I had one boomer lady who so intentionally unreliable that you could not believe a word out of her mouth. She straight up would tell everybody who she came across a bunch of total horseshit. You were better off finding somebody else 99 times out of 100 because whatever she told you would be so riddled with disinformation, lies, and falsehoods that it was functionally as if she opened her mouth and burped for twenty minutes straight.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
There’s a boomer that will print out a blank piece of paper, walk across the office, take it off the printer, look at it, rip it up, and throw it in the trash. I was told about it, thought it was bullshit. Then I saw it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I love imagining their inner life.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was an elephant rescue place in Thailand that picked up a ton of dogs in the 2012 floods and adopts them out to whoever. 10/10 they’re good dogs. Elephant Nature Park

things boomers like: riding elephants, not caring about animals

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Boywhiz88 posted:

There’s a boomer that will print out a blank piece of paper, walk across the office, take it off the printer, look at it, rip it up, and throw it in the trash. I was told about it, thought it was bullshit. Then I saw it.

I once worked with a Boomer who would print out every email he received, even if it was only a few sentences, because he preferred to read it on paper than on a computer screen. He didn't seem to need reading glasses, so I'm not sure what his particular defect was.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I had an employer who loved faxes. He would send a fax (laden with misspellings and inchoate anger) and somehow he made it send the fax repeatedly. We would get faxes every day from this idiot and though I never met him, I could imagine all the spittle that probably covered the initial letter.

These letters were all about how great he was and how much he hated getting in trouble for lovely business practices.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I’ve been at offices where nobody shares macros with anyone but their closest buddies because they’re afraid of someone outperforming them. I rarely see anything like this at offices that aren’t run by olds.

:lol: In 2014, there was a guy where I work who made a dumb little Excel macro that the team used, then shortly after quit because when the supervisor position for the team opened up, he expected to be promoted and wasn't - literally walked out and quit when it was announced who got it.

Anyways, I got hired in 2016, and there was a problem with the macro where if a column of cells were blank, which they commonly were, the whole thing didn't work. I knew I could fix this in five minutes, so I go to open it up and motherfucker password protected the file. I googled around a bit and found a way to crack the password (the method that alternates between lower-and-upper case A's and B's), only to find once the file password was cracked, there was another password on the macro or module itself!

I gave up and redid the entire stupid macro from scratch in an afternoon. Once I fixed that, my coworkers had a bunch of other requests for the macro that they'd always thought would improve it, so I implemented the good ones.

I looked the dude up on LinkedIn, and he's not even a boomer. Just a boomer at heart, I guess.

Ollu posted:

I'm not sure what his particular defect was.

His mind.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ollu posted:

I once worked with a Boomer who would print out every email he received, even if it was only a few sentences, because he preferred to read it on paper than on a computer screen. He didn't seem to need reading glasses, so I'm not sure what his particular defect was.

He hated trees.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Actually being irreplaceable at your workplace while not doing poo poo owns lol y'all should stop being model workers producing maximum value for the boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Actually being irreplaceable at your workplace while not doing poo poo owns lol y'all should stop being model workers producing maximum value for the boss

If you’re not stealing from your boss, you’re stealing from your family.