Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ikanreed posted:

Velveeta, at least, is one of those terrible, inedible processed foods that's not the direct fault of boomers.

It's popularity, on the other hand...

Growing up if we had Velveeta Shells and Cheese for dinner it was special. My mom didn't buy them often because they were more expensive than Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

You can make mac and cheese with a Velveeta roux, or you can make it wrong.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

Growing up if we had Velveeta Shells and Cheese for dinner it was special. My mom didn't buy them often because they were more expensive than Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

you're welcome. i gave those to her as tips when she did something nastier than usual

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

TheReverend posted:

The Doors are awesome; I'll fight you.

The Doors had an amazing keyboardist and a good looking lead singer who unfortunately made the most boring white blues rock to have ever existed.

If Jim Morrison wasn’t so revered because he died at the band’s height, I think The Doors would be relegated to a lovely Time-Life CD compilation of late ‘60s rock full of other forgettable bands like Country Joe and the Fish and The Electric Prunes. Perfect for Boomers whose brains were destroyed by LSD and/or leaded gasoline fumes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
UK opens shops today and I've spent months trying to make gammon Prime understand that every other gammon will "just want to pick up [utterly unimportant poo poo he could have got from the supermarket]" and that this isn't going to be " popping down to" just because he wants the narrative in his head to be true. This dipshit has had only had one shot and is the exact demographic of "mild covid will kill you you moron".

I once had to stop him using a hand held fan on a bus during the peak of the first wave.

He's currently super pissed that the hardware store that never shut down, that he could always have gone into, is currently vaccum packed bellypork when "I only wanted to check the price of summet"

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

You Are A Elf posted:

The Doors had an amazing keyboardist and a good looking lead singer who unfortunately made the most boring white blues rock to have ever existed.

If Jim Morrison wasn’t so revered because he died at the band’s height, I think The Doors would be relegated to a lovely Time-Life CD compilation of late ‘60s rock full of other forgettable bands like Country Joe and the Fish and The Electric Prunes. Perfect for Boomers whose brains were destroyed by LSD and/or leaded gasoline fumes.

Yea but they didn't become that.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That's a funny way to spell the Eagles.

The Eagles - Greatest Hits Vol 2 was on almost constant play in the car, and home when I was a kid. I've probably heard the Eagles more than I've heard music I actually like due to my Dad's bad taste, and lack of other music.

When I was learning to play guitar, I started with Hotel California, I think it was some kind of Stockholm syndrome kicking in.

-fake edit- Now it's stuck in my head, ffffffffffffffffuck

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Whitebread boomer music is often salvageable when taken out of the hands of the most boring people on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-M70aFS6s

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Adolf Glitter posted:

-fake edit- Now it's stuck in my head, ffffffffffffffffuck

you can check-out anytime you like, but you can never leave :kheldragar:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

shame on an IGA posted:

Whitebread boomer music is often salvageable when taken out of the hands of the most boring people on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-M70aFS6s

Ah, The Jesus' theme from Lebowski

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ziv Zulander posted:

I have a framed copy of a 9/11 newspaper hung up on my bedroom wall

This year is going to be the 20th anniversary so that's probably a collector's item now.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i can't believe it's been 20 years since obama was in office

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

*In the car after picking you up from your appointment*

I know your “knows everything” doctor told me you don’t have to tell me what you talk about, but if I’m going to keep paying for therapy then I want to know I’m getting my money’s worth. Now, did you say anything about me?

Are we related??

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

Like how Jimi Hendrix fixed Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I could live a rich, full, and happy life without ever again encountering that song about the yellow polka-dot bikini. thank you. jalapeño bacon burger and tater tots, please

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I stopped talking to my boomer family

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Katamari Democracy posted:

I stopped talking to my boomer family

Now they won't help you during the Second Battle for the Hoover Dam.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lib and let die posted:

You can make mac and cheese with a Velveeta roux, or you can make it wrong.

This thread is hosed up.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This thread world universe is hosed up.

:hai:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Boomers don't know what goodbye actually means

It's been said 4 times over the last 20 minutes

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Lib and let die posted:

you've chatted with my mom on the phone

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Solkanar512 posted:

God yes. Dylan should've just hired out as a songwriter instead of trying to perform his own stuff.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Good and accurate update to the thread title

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jim Morrison would be bitching about SJWs and cancel culture were he alive today

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

come on baby light my nikes on fire

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Remember when Guitar Hero 5 came out and had Dylan's version of Along The Watchtower instead of Hendrix? Lmao who thought that was a good idea?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Hello Sailor posted:

God yes. Dylan should've just hired out as a songwriter instead of trying to perform his own stuff.

I have mixed feelings about this but there's no way Blood on the Tracks would be as good as it is if someone else performed it. It's far too personal. And that's probably his best album.

In before, "Raggghhh music my dad likes is icky bad and for boomers only."

PostNouveau posted:

Jim Morrison would be bitching about SJWs and cancel culture were he alive today

And definitely John Lennon. If he was still alive he'd absolutely be the most insufferable prick. He was already terrible enough when he actually was alive.

Bad Purchase posted:

come on baby light my nikes on fire

I'm not saying it would have necessarily remained this way if Morrison didn't croak it, but what's funny about this is that they used a Doors song in a tv commercial when he was still alive and Jim Morrison hated it so much that the band made a contract, which stands to this day, that any use of a song in advertising and media has to be unanimously approved by all band members. So John Densmore spent decades vetoing the other guys attempts to license Doors songs for tv commercials.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

CPL593H posted:

I have mixed feelings about this but there's no way Blood on the Tracks would be as good as it is if someone else performed it. It's far too personal. And that's probably his best album.

I'll meet you halfway and give you that one. But I've seen too many bands adapt his work to their own musical genre to buy that folk music and his reedy voice are the best representation for some of his wonderful lyrics

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dylan's earlier studio work had some good stuff in it.

I've seen him play live in concert at least twice, maybe 3 times, and I have never felt as insulted by a performance. He was incredibly loving awful live. I've seen big names be lazy, I've seen big names be so hosed up they can barely stay upright, but they were all better than Dylan.

Tori Amos appearing so drunk she almost fell off the piano bench was better than Dylan.

Jerry Garcia mumbling through some random Grateful Dead song was better than Dylan.

loving Sugar Ray was better than Dylan.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Dylan's earlier studio work had some good stuff in it.

I've seen him play live in concert at least twice, maybe 3 times, and I have never felt as insulted by a performance. He was incredibly loving awful live. I've seen big names be lazy, I've seen big names be so hosed up they can barely stay upright, but they were all better than Dylan.

Tori Amos appearing so drunk she almost fell off the piano bench was better than Dylan.

Jerry Garcia mumbling through some random Grateful Dead song was better than Dylan.

loving Sugar Ray was better than Dylan.

Yeah I can confirm Dylan being awful live.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Lib and let die posted:

You haven't lived until you talked to my buddy on the phone whose answer to "Hey, I gotta go" is "One more thing, what did you think about the Republican primaries?".

He hangs out with his boomer parents way too much, it's been like this his whole life.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

CaptainSarcastic posted:

loving Sugar Ray was better
misread that as sugar man and was irate

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I missed vegetable chat but you can boil tasty broccoli and brussel sprouts easy. Boil the water first then throw them in as it's bubbling for a couple of minutes and pull them straight out. Delicious crunchy goodness.

I get mad about overboiled greens like other people get mad about overcooked steak.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Apple cider mixed with clear honey makes a fabulous dressing for broccoli.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Splicer posted:

I missed vegetable chat but you can boil tasty broccoli and brussel sprouts easy. Boil the water first then throw them in as it's bubbling for a couple of minutes and pull them straight out. Delicious crunchy goodness.

I get mad about overboiled greens like other people get mad about overcooked steak.

I got some good recipe ideas from Brussels sprouts chat. Good thing, I started nine plants from seed two or three weeks ago that will be set out in the vegetable garden soon, so hopefully I'll have a bunch.

My Mom, too, boiled the absolute crap out of every vegetable she served, and that turned me off vegetables in general for several decades. The Brussels sprouts she made were dismal, stinky mush. It wasn't until I had them roasted with a Maple syrup glaze which swung me around the other direction, and now I love them.

Most of the meats she'd cook ended up coming out of the oven like slightly moist jerky.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also the stalk of the broccoli can go pretty much anywhere carrots can go. Strip off any skin that's too tough (usually only an issue toward the base) then dice it all up and throw it into your ground beef or casserole to simmer, or cut into disks and bake with seasoning. People cutting off the tops and throwing away the delicious stalk is a crime.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I got some good recipe ideas from Brussels sprouts chat. Good thing, I started nine plants from seed two or three weeks ago that will be set out in the vegetable garden soon, so hopefully I'll have a bunch.

My Mom, too, boiled the absolute crap out of every vegetable she served, and that turned me off vegetables in general for several decades. The Brussels sprouts she made were dismal, stinky mush. It wasn't until I had them roasted with a Maple syrup glaze which swung me around the other direction, and now I love them.

Most of the meats she'd cook ended up coming out of the oven like slightly moist jerky.
You probably know this but if you cut the mature sprouts off the stalk and leave the stalk in the ground you'll get a few harvests off each plant.

e: Also lightly cooked cauliflower has a delicious peppery taste to it that gets murdered by overboiling. I basically want to sear the outside with boiling water but only heat rather than cook the insides. It's actually delicious raw but I find it hard to wash properly, so for me the boiling is more of a hygiene thing.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 14, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

Also the stalk of the broccoli can go pretty much anywhere carrots can go. Strip off any skin that's too tough (usually only an issue toward the base) then dice it all up and throw it into your ground beef or casserole to simmer, or cut into disks and bake with seasoning. People cutting off the tops and throwing away the delicious stalk is a crime.

fuckin' a, man, the first time someone told me to use the celery leaves in my beef stew I was like 'really? the little lovely leaves you chop off to get to the real celery?' boy do those little fuckers pack a ton of flavor

re: knife chat, a sharp knife will, if you do manage to cut yourself, leave a cleaner/better healing cut that's less likely to get infected and will hurt (just a bit!) less when you cut yourself.

also it's really fun to sharpen knives when you get the motion down. i feel like vergil every time i pull out my sharpening steel and go to town on my chef's set.

you shall fry

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lib and let die posted:

re: knife chat, a sharp knife will, if you do manage to cut yourself, leave a cleaner/better healing cut that's less likely to get infected and will hurt (just a bit!) less when you cut yourself.

Or do all your cutting, chopping and slicing with a butter knife if you're not scared of a challenge.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can cut a surprising amount of stuff easier with a pair of scissors, steaks and broccoli/cauliflower heads for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

This. I thought "broil them into leather" was how you were supposed to cook pork chops and I just didn't like them. It wasn't until I was 30 that a chef I knew insisted I try his pork chops and I discovered they can be loving delicious.