Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I think my never on time for anything dad is probably the reason why I am extremely punctual, almost pathologically so. I start stressing out if it look like I will make it to something less than 10 minutes early.

Also I used to get dragged to a lot of stores that were boring as poo poo (hardware stores before they were somewhat interesting like the big box ones now, etc) and would have to just stare at lumber while my dad chit chatted with some old timer while trying to get him to knock another 2% off the cost of some 2x6s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Pay attention to this dull thing I and this equally tedious man are harping on about, you might learn something”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

learnincurve posted:

“Pay attention to this dull thing I and this equally tedious man are harping on about, you might learn something”

Well, you did learn something.

enomie
Aug 10, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

she technically can veto anything... and, in practice, this power would work exactly once if exercised, and only exactly long enough for Parliament to find a way to take it away (despite the fact that the Queen can technically dissolve Parliament at will, and overrule anything they do)
Something else people often forget is that the British military have swear an oath of allegiance to the monarchy, not parliament. How seriously soldiers take this would vary I guess, but my father and grandfather for example were both British military officers at one stage, and both told me that they would back the monarchy against parliament because of this oath (which I think all MPs have to swear too, technically).

So, parliament finding a way to take away the monarch's powers might not work if the monarch sics the army on them. If the royals were intent on holding on to their position in the face of opposition from their subjects, there could easily be another English Civil War. Plus I'm an Aussie so there was that whole dismissal of our elected government people were talking about. Seems to me the royals are not impotent figureheads, they just pretend to be. Really they own everything and have the beatstick to back it up.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

enomie posted:

Something else people often forget is that the British military have swear an oath of allegiance to the monarchy, not parliament. How seriously soldiers take this would vary I guess, but my father and grandfather for example were both British military officers at one stage, and both told me that they would back the monarchy against parliament because of this oath (which I think all MPs have to swear too, technically).

So, parliament finding a way to take away the monarch's powers might not work if the monarch sics the army on them. If the royals were intent on holding on to their position in the face of opposition from their subjects, there could easily be another English Civil War. Plus I'm an Aussie so there was that whole dismissal of our elected government people were talking about. Seems to me the royals are not impotent figureheads, they just pretend to be. Really they own everything and have the beatstick to back it up.

If attempting to exercise your authority will cause a civil war then you really only have those powers on paper and can only use them if you are allowed to.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah I think my never on time for anything dad is probably the reason why I am extremely punctual, almost pathologically so. I start stressing out if it look like I will make it to something less than 10 minutes early.

I've always been the same way. Get where I'm going at least half an hour early. Always told my supervisors that if I'm ever late to work don't call me, they need to call the police.

The pandemic has taught me to be a bit more lax.

enomie
Aug 10, 2017

Dameius posted:

If attempting to exercise your authority will cause a civil war then you really only have those powers on paper and can only use them if you are allowed to.
I would say that if attempting to stop someone from exercising their authority results in them mobilising troops against you, you don't actually have any authority over them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've always been the same way. Get where I'm going at least half an hour early. Always told my supervisors that if I'm ever late to work don't call me, they need to call the police.

The pandemic has taught me to be a bit more lax.

:hfive: I remember in the days before smartphones I would have a paperback in a pocket just for some reading when I roll up super early to appointments.

Heck I log into zoom calls 5 minutes before they start even.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Dameius posted:

There was an incident relatively recently; big VE Day ceremony in France and all the heads of state were supposed to be there. Tony Blair accepted the invitation on behalf of the U.K. Well big whoops, he’s not the head of state, the Queen is and that was an act of literal treason which hadn’t been seen in hundreds of years.

The Army got ready to arrest him, SAS were making plans in a pub somewhere, and the Palace were throwing out big hints that the Queen can’t just show up, protocol says she has to be invited, but once she’s got that invitation it’s all good. (Invited) INVITED WINK WINK.

Clinton got the hint and invited her to France as part of the US party.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Screw Clinton for ruining what could have been amazing.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And demand their kids pack everything up and stand around waiting for 20 minutes by the door and then 20 more minutes in the car.

Meanwhile they have the car idling the whole 20 minutes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it really explains a lot that these people have never had any sense of urgency in their lives.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We always had to be three hours early for any flight

Also feeling the sads on the “Waiting for Hours” thing. I think I have spent (in total) days of my life waiting for my dad to pick me up. I also remember being 10 minutes late to getting as a teen and getting yelled at because it made him miss part if the hockey game.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

learnincurve posted:

There was an incident relatively recently; big VE Day ceremony in France and all the heads of state were supposed to be there. Tony Blair accepted the invitation on behalf of the U.K. Well big whoops, he’s not the head of state, the Queen is and that was an act of literal treason which hadn’t been seen in hundreds of years.

The Army got ready to arrest him, SAS were making plans in a pub somewhere, and the Palace were throwing out big hints that the Queen can’t just show up, protocol says she has to be invited, but once she’s got that invitation it’s all good. (Invited) INVITED WINK WINK.

This sounds dumb as Hell and the political equivalent to “Picky Eater Tantrum Child”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

This sounds dumb as Hell and the political equivalent to “Picky Eater Tantrum Child”

Welcome to the entirety of politics.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

enomie posted:

But Parliament explicitly controls the existence (and funding) for the Army (hence why it's the British Army, not the Royal Army) and practically control the funding for the RN and RAF*, even if they are supposedly the monarch's personal property. The Queen may be astoundingly wealthy, but the Windsor family funds wouldn't run the navy and air force for very long.

* Until 2003 only members of the Army had to swear an oath of allegiance, because they weren't Royal and therefore might have had other loyalties. The loyalty of the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force was taken as implicit. It's also why traditional British Army officer's commissions were much more friendly and kiss-rear end in their wording than RN and RAF ones, which read like threatening letters - the Army officers are taking the historical place of barons and other aristos who represented an alternative power base to the monarch and had to be sucked up to and won over. Navy and Air Force officers were effectively royal servants and woe betide them if they didn't act as such.

The bit in bold is the reality of the British """"consitution"""" - the monarch has all the power on paper, but none in reality. Parliament has no power on paper, but all of it in reality. It's a balance worked out over the course of 800-odd years.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

learnincurve posted:

lmao that sounds dumb as hell, nice country idiots

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Every example y'all give just reinforces the idea that the entire country is built at this point on a series of useful lies and figuring put where the truth actually is will be so destructive that everyone keeps going along with the lies.

priznat posted:

:hfive: I remember in the days before smartphones I would have a paperback in a pocket just for some reading when I roll up super early to appointments.

Heck I log into zoom calls 5 minutes before they start even.

As soon as outlook gives me my 15 minute reminder for a zoom call I join it and go back to what I'm doing so whenever the host actually launches I won't forget or be late.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dameius posted:

Every example y'all give just reinforces the idea that the entire country is built at this point on a series of useful lies and figuring put where the truth actually is will be so destructive that everyone keeps going along with the lies.

This is Britain in a nutshell ya, last time someone who'd actually want to do things got close to being prime minister his own party and the entire media worked together to throw the election and purge the party of anyone who actually wanted to deal with real problems, and by now it's effectively a one party state

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

life is killing me posted:

Can confirm, anytime we went on vacation my dad would say, “We’re leaving by 7am SHARP.”

Without fail we’d be on our way by 10am if we were lucky

My parents definitely left exactly when they said they would. When we went on those long road trip vacations, the car left at 6 am on the dot. Getting up at 5 (or earlier) when you're 12 is literal hell. On the plus side, aside from any perishables, the car was packed the night before, so the joy of having to help load up the car in the dark didn't happen.

The other thing we always got to early was movies. It was always the first showing of the day, and we were there in line for 20 to 30 minutes before the box office opened. We were always somewhere between first and third in line. Then my mom would take me and we'd get the massive popcorn tubs and drinks, and my dad and brother would go find seats. From there it was about another 20+ minute wait until the movie itself started, but dammit we had good seats. Could never convince my parents to buy us candy at the theater either, it was always just plain rear end popcorn (no butter).

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Professor Shark posted:

We always had to be three hours early for any flight

Also feeling the sads on the “Waiting for Hours” thing. I think I have spent (in total) days of my life waiting for my dad to pick me up. I also remember being 10 minutes late to getting as a teen and getting yelled at because it made him miss part if the hockey game.

I don't mind getting to the airport early and waiting around awhile for the flight because they serve alcohol there. More places that involve waiting should serve alcohol.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

My parents definitely left exactly when they said they would. When we went on those long road trip vacations, the car left at 6 am on the dot. Getting up at 5 (or earlier) when you're 12 is literal hell. On the plus side, aside from any perishables, the car was packed the night before, so the joy of having to help load up the car in the dark didn't happen.

The other thing we always got to early was movies. It was always the first showing of the day, and we were there in line for 20 to 30 minutes before the box office opened. We were always somewhere between first and third in line. Then my mom would take me and we'd get the massive popcorn tubs and drinks, and my dad and brother would go find seats. From there it was about another 20+ minute wait until the movie itself started, but dammit we had good seats. Could never convince my parents to buy us candy at the theater either, it was always just plain rear end popcorn (no butter).

just sneak in the candy wtf

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I don't mind getting to the airport early and waiting around awhile for the flight because they serve alcohol there. More places that involve waiting should serve alcohol.

Not sure if the emergency room nurses would agree or not but I say let's give it a whirl.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I know it was me who brought up the boomer timing issue, but I just had a recollection from my Little League Baseball days.

My coach was definitely a boomer, but he was the grew up in the midwest, played minor league baseball for a few years then served in the Army and made a career as a Wonderbread delivery guy type of boomer. Not exactly the handed everything type. Our team was the Phillies, and his policy was that we operated on "Phillie Time." That meant if practice started at six, that was when practice started. You didn't get there at six to start throwing a little bit and run a couple of laps to warm up, you showed up at 5:45 so you could run a lap or two, throw for five or ten minutes, so you were ready for practice at six.

I definitely owe that one boomer for instilling the idea of punctuality in me at a young age.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My coach had an intellvision and laserdisc. He put me on the mound and I pitched. It didn't go well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I remember when I was 10 being in awe of the kids on my little league team who could pitch. That’s gotta be their peak right there, unlikely they could top that later in life.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trust me on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Y7PD_uBe8

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My little league had the coached pitch until around age 12. I'm sure this was done as some form of, "Oh here! Just let me just do it!" since they were all boomers.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Woke up late on Sunday in the middle of a post-covid vaccine haze and called my mom right about the time she'd be getting out of church to wish her a happy Mother's day. She didn't answer, so I went back to sleep.

Tried again that afternoon and got her. Let her know I was finally feeling better after about 18 hours of feeling crappy and sorry for not getting in touch with her earlier. She let me know that there's "no way I want to be a guinea pig" and she wasn't getting a vaccine. Mom, 100 million Americans are already vaccinated, you're not going to be a guinea pig. Plus I'd take 18 hours of feeling like crap to not die painfully drowning in lung fluid. I told her I really wish she would reconsider or at least promise she wouldn't leave the house. Luckily she "only goes to see your sister, to church, and the store! they bring my groceries out and put them in the trunk, so I don't ever go out in public".

She's really stopped caring about my opinion on things since my sister is the one that gave her grandkids and hung around in good old Texas, instead of moving to the god-forsaken liberal west coast. Boomers!!!!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

BalloonFish posted:

But Parliament explicitly controls the existence (and funding) for the Army (hence why it's the British Army, not the Royal Army) and practically control the funding for the RN and RAF*, even if they are supposedly the monarch's personal property. The Queen may be astoundingly wealthy, but the Windsor family funds wouldn't run the navy and air force for very long.

* Until 2003 only members of the Army had to swear an oath of allegiance, because they weren't Royal and therefore might have had other loyalties. The loyalty of the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force was taken as implicit. It's also why traditional British Army officer's commissions were much more friendly and kiss-rear end in their wording than RN and RAF ones, which read like threatening letters - the Army officers are taking the historical place of barons and other aristos who represented an alternative power base to the monarch and had to be sucked up to and won over. Navy and Air Force officers were effectively royal servants and woe betide them if they didn't act as such.

The bit in bold is the reality of the British """"consitution"""" - the monarch has all the power on paper, but none in reality. Parliament has no power on paper, but all of it in reality. It's a balance worked out over the course of 800-odd years.

The queen is still the head of the army though. She can order around army dudes and is responsible for appointments at the two star general rank and above.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Yup. Airports became a lot more fun once I could drop off my checked baggage and drink, even if it is overpriced.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Back on thread subject.

Article on generation gaps about disclosing serious stuff like medical problems from parents to kids.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dbba5/why-do-your-boomer-parents-never-tell-you-whats-going-on?utm_source=digg

Every loving generation from the Boomers on mentioned, except us.

I think it's because we were Silent Generation's kids, and they were also a baby 'bust' and didn't make a big fuss about it either.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

thoughts and prayers posted:

Back on thread subject.

Article on generation gaps about disclosing serious stuff like medical problems from parents to kids.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dbba5/why-do-your-boomer-parents-never-tell-you-whats-going-on?utm_source=digg

Every loving generation from the Boomers on mentioned, except us.

I think it's because we were Silent Generation's kids, and they were also a baby 'bust' and didn't make a big fuss about it either.

Generation X dropping those extra points into stealth really paying off now.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

My mom dropped this hot one on me one day:

“Can you pick me up from the hospital tomorrow?”
“Uh, sure? Why”
“Oh, it’s a procedure and they won’t let me drive after.”

She didn’t tell me it was loving HEART STENTS until I went to pick her rear end up!

Oh and finding out my parents were divorcees was great when my dad’s ex called the house and she knew MY name. I was 15.

It’s gotten better now that I’ve moved out and are married myself but holy gently caress they never told me ANYTHING when I was growing up.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Half the parents in the Vice piece are Gen X

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ChickenDoodle posted:

My mom dropped this hot one on me one day:

“Can you pick me up from the hospital tomorrow?”
“Uh, sure? Why”
“Oh, it’s a procedure and they won’t let me drive after.”

She didn’t tell me it was loving HEART STENTS until I went to pick her rear end up!

I called my dad a little before Thanksgiving during one of my later college years. Turns out he had just had surgery to get a stent put in. He didn't call me beforehand to let me know what was up, said he didn't want me to worry. Imagine if something had gone wrong and he didn't make it, and I had to get a call out of the blue from my stepmom letting me know he died during a surgery I had no idea about? I'd have rather been a little worried but aware, rather than in the dark. I love my dad and he's been a really good parent my whole life, but it's kinda what that side of the family does and it wasn't great in that instance.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

My dad would insist we load up the night before and we totally would, but it would take forever because he wanted to use rope to lash bags and such to the top of the car. But wait, we needed a tarp in case it rained, and then we had to tie like hundreds of knots and make it really tight. Then the next morning I’d be up and showered and at the table eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch and my dad and stepmom would stumble out of their room like dementia patients, not dressed or showered. Coffee had to be made, but oh no not the night before on a timer. Breakfast was to be had. My dad had to open up a map and meticulously plan a route which was something that could have happened before.

The worst part, and the boomerest thing in all of this, was my stepmom asking my dad, “Are we ready to go?” And my dad saying yes. And then again. And then again. Then we’d get in the car three hours later, and my dad would suddenly need to go take a poo poo, and then he’d remember something we need to bring so he’d go get it and we’d have to undo all the ropes we tied the night before and put it in the suitcase with other suitcases on top of it. Then another thirty minutes tying ropes again. Finally, a trip back inside to refresh his lukewarm coffee, and the trip would proceed at long last, with my sister and me now being subjected to their music, whatever fad they were into. At one point it was Moodswings, some weird ambient music that by my memory evokes comparison to post-rock, something I hate to this day.

It was almost like my dad didn’t even wanna go on vacation, honestly. I dread going on vacations even now, with a family of my own, for all the leftover stress and anxiety it brings me. Thanks, Boomer Dad.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I must be a boomer I guess. Re: not telling people possibly important poo poo.

The last few months "they" (various medical personnel) thought I had Cancer because an ultra sound showed some spots on my kidneys, which after a CT scan turned out to be an "uncountable number of" tumors. I took a bunch of time off work because I had a lot of dr appointments, got a camera shoved in my dick hole, and got a bunch of blood sucked out of me and a biopsy on one of my kidneys. I never said poo poo to anyone, even my best friend who tells me everything (she's got a lot going on and also just lost a friend to cancer so I didn't want to worry her). I finally had to tell my dad because when I got the biopsy, they gave me drugs so wouldn't let me drive home and he had to come get me.
Turns out its Oncocytoma.

I guess my excuse is I didn't want to worry anyone until I knew for sure that it was actually bad. I think my dad and my brother, who came with my dad to drive my car back are the only ones that know. And I'm not even sure my brother *actually* knows what I was there for. He might know, but the only one I told directly "I might have Cancer" was my dad.

I just don't want to worry people or bother them with my problems.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

priznat posted:

Same, and for the same reason, but for me it gave me an extreme amount of anxiety. When he would pick me up from my mom's on Saturdays, he was never early, and often would be 2-5 hours late. I was living in a very abusive home, and so was desperate to escape, because if my step-dad managed to wake up from his hangover from the night before, he'd find some reason to get angry at me, forbid me from leaving for the weekend, and then beat the poo poo out of me in the backyard. When he would finally arrive, I'd be so angry with him and in a hurry to leave, and he'd just laugh and laugh about how impatient his son is. "Calm down son, ha ha!"

I hope they both die soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Duck_King posted:

Same, and for the same reason, but for me it gave me an extreme amount of anxiety. When he would pick me up from my mom's on Saturdays, he was never early, and often would be 2-5 hours late. I was living in a very abusive home, and so was desperate to escape, because if my step-dad managed to wake up from his hangover from the night before, he'd find some reason to get angry at me, forbid me from leaving for the weekend, and then beat the poo poo out of me in the backyard. When he would finally arrive, I'd be so angry with him and in a hurry to leave, and he'd just laugh and laugh about how impatient his son is. "Calm down son, ha ha!"

I hope they both die soon.

Holy gently caress, I hope your dad did not know about what was going on (meaning he didn’t bother to intervene). JFC like forbid you to leave when your dad was coming?