Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

priznat posted:

I remember when I was 10 being in awe of the kids on my little league team who could pitch. That’s gotta be their peak right there, unlikely they could top that later in life.

My cousin was being scouted by the Dodgers when he was 16 and that was his whole life plan, then he destroyed his ACL and got real depressed cuz his grades were poo poo and there was no back up. He's doing good now but it took about twenty five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Chief McHeath posted:

I know it was me who brought up the boomer timing issue, but I just had a recollection from my Little League Baseball days.

My coach was definitely a boomer, but he was the grew up in the midwest, played minor league baseball for a few years then served in the Army and made a career as a Wonderbread delivery guy type of boomer. Not exactly the handed everything type. Our team was the Phillies, and his policy was that we operated on "Phillie Time." That meant if practice started at six, that was when practice started. You didn't get there at six to start throwing a little bit and run a couple of laps to warm up, you showed up at 5:45 so you could run a lap or two, throw for five or ten minutes, so you were ready for practice at six.

I definitely owe that one boomer for instilling the idea of punctuality in me at a young age.

Dang that’s good. Had a coach who was hitting balls at us accidentally give me a black eye. He correctly realized it wasn’t a big deal and we got back to practice. Nice guy.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

life is killing me posted:

Holy gently caress, I hope your dad did not know about what was going on (meaning he didn’t bother to intervene). JFC like forbid you to leave when your dad was coming?

He didn't know, and when I called him out for ignoring the obvious signs for years, he blamed it on me, the child, for not saying anything. And yeah, my step-father truly hated me. Anytime I expressed any sort of joy, he'd crush it immediately, and he almost killed me a few times. I've been through things, I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I've posted about my lovely dad for awhile now, and I'm still digesting his behavior over my lifetime after cutting him off, and I only recently realized that all he ever wanted was the fun parts of fatherhood, and nothing beyond that, AKA, the Disneyland Dad.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Duck_King posted:

He didn't know, and when I called him out for ignoring the obvious signs for years, he blamed it on me, the child, for not saying anything. And yeah, my step-father truly hated me. Anytime I expressed any sort of joy, he'd crush it immediately, and he almost killed me a few times. I've been through things, I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I've posted about my lovely dad for awhile now, and I'm still digesting his behavior over my lifetime after cutting him off, and I only recently realized that all he ever wanted was the fun parts of fatherhood, and nothing beyond that, AKA, the Disneyland Dad.

That sucks all the poo poo. I’m sorry you went through that.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

BalloonFish posted:

* Until 2003 only members of the Army had to swear an oath of allegiance, because they weren't Royal and therefore might have had other loyalties. The loyalty of the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force was taken as implicit. It's also why traditional British Army officer's commissions were much more friendly and kiss-rear end in their wording than RN and RAF ones, which read like threatening letters - the Army officers are taking the historical place of barons and other aristos who represented an alternative power base to the monarch and had to be sucked up to and won over. Navy and Air Force officers were effectively royal servants and woe betide them if they didn't act as such.

wait I thought this was because the army cut the king's head off

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Duck_King posted:

I had a lovely bio dad, and while he didn’t beat me to within an inch of my life like your stepdad, he was a master emotional manipulator and abuser. He skipped town when I was a teen, and hadn’t spoken to him since. I heard through the grapevine two weeks ago that he apparently died of Covid, and I almost felt guilty for the amount of schadenfreude I felt. Almost.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Haven’t y’all been slowly leeching the monarchy’s power over the decades? Like she can’t even dissolve parliament anymore, she’s becoming more of a figurehead every goddamn day

What is the point of constitutional monarchies if the monarchy itself becomes little more than a celebrity to bring out when it feels right

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Greg12 posted:

wait I thought this was because the army cut the king's head off

That's what he said.

Re boomer parents not telling you anything when I was about 13 we were at a family friend's for dinner when our house caught on fire. My parents just left to go deal with it without mentioning anything. It should be noted I have always been a calm and accepting person, able to deal with whatever crap (admittedly mild compared to the rest of this page) without any problems. But apparently me finding out from other people was better because...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HD DAD posted:

I had a lovely bio dad, and while he didn’t beat me to within an inch of my life like your stepdad, he was a master emotional manipulator and abuser. He skipped town when I was a teen, and hadn’t spoken to him since. I heard through the grapevine two weeks ago that he apparently died of Covid, and I almost felt guilty for the amount of schadenfreude I felt. Almost.

Goongratuldolences?

That's bleak, but you've got a right to feel how you feel.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Boomers assume everyone cares about the less important stuff, though. If they are on the phone with a customer service rep, they will periodically give you updates on how it's going, insist you mute the TV, and generally assume you're as involved in their call to AmEx or whatever as they are. (if you leave the room to give them quiet/privacy, they will follow you so you don't miss an update) Also whenever I speak to my Boomer sister, she will give me updates on my nephew's girlfriend's parents and their problems buying a shed or whatever, or her coworker's daughter's husband's cancer, or something else I couldn't possibly have any stake in regarding people I have never met.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
The first person whose mind I dove into was my boomer father's. I saw nothing but disgust and hatred for me in his heart. My mother died in childbirth... and he despised me for it... I thought my father was going to kill me. That's when my future dissapeared. I lost my past as well. When I came to, the village was engulfed in flames..

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bonaventure posted:

The first person whose mind I dove into was my boomer father's. I saw nothing but disgust and hatred for me in his heart. My mother died in childbirth... and he despised me for it... I thought my father was going to kill me. That's when my future dissapeared. I lost my past as well. When I came to, the village was engulfed in flames..

Are tedious gimmicks a Boomer thing?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Today I was in a grocery store and some boomer wearing an NRA hat was ranting about Joe Biden to the teenager at the register. The kid wasn't responding at all and he looked like he wanted to float out of his body. His light was already off so this dipshit was his last customer so when the guy was all paid up the kid got out of there like the place was on fire.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Duck_King posted:

One of the best things that ever happened to me in my life was getting a DUI and going to a non aa place to fulfil court obligations. During the INTERVIEW the shrink read what I had filled out about my childhood and father and asked, "Do you have any contact with your father?"

I said well no, not for a while

She said, "Good. Don't, and don't ever feel bad about it. He's a pedophile and you owe him nothing, never feel any guilt. Period." [He also beat my mother.]

It was like a light switch. I never did again.
This was 30 years ago. It was like a miracle. I assume he's dead, dunno.

You CAN let go. Oddly I wasn't able to let go of a boyfriend wronging me but I really did let go of that entire side of the family no problem.

Truly evil people, you have to walk away. People that didn't have evil parents will never really know how lucky they are.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Drimble Wedge posted:

Boomers assume everyone cares about the less important stuff, though. If they are on the phone with a customer service rep, they will periodically give you updates on how it's going, insist you mute the TV, and generally assume you're as involved in their call to AmEx or whatever as they are. (if you leave the room to give them quiet/privacy, they will follow you so you don't miss an update) Also whenever I speak to my Boomer sister, she will give me updates on my nephew's girlfriend's parents and their problems buying a shed or whatever, or her coworker's daughter's husband's cancer, or something else I couldn't possibly have any stake in regarding people I have never met.

Your sister is lonely OP :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Ugh, my dad does that "updating random people with personal info" all the time.

The worst I ever experienced it was when he came with me as young teen, as I wanted to buy my own TV with the money I was earning in my first real job. He offered to come and haggle with the guy, so I thought yeah, sounds great. So we're looking at various models, and then an employee comes over to help. Once he starts figuring out what we need, he of course tries to get us to by the extended warranty. My dad then goes into this spiel about "Oh we don't need that. I know this guy, Mike, he works... do you know Mike? He works at the TV shop over on 3rd. He can fix any problem, so we won't need the warranty. Mike owes me too, he got into a jam 2 years back and I helped him out. Of course, that was right around the time I was working two jobs to make some extra cash for this new property we were buying, which the wife was overseeing. See, she wanted to....."

Meanwhile my soul is escaping my body through every orifice, as I tug on his arm trying to tell him this minimum wage slave doesn't care about your friend Mike or what happened years ago. He then replies "Yes he does, he wants to know why we don't need the warranty", which is not something the guy inquired about at all. Finally I get my dad to break off, and I continue with the sales guy. Not 2 minutes later, as I'm trying to work a deal with the guy, my dad, the "master haggler" is looking at some other TV going "Son, this one has a better remote, lets get this one." The TV also happened to be about a $1000 more expensive than the models I was looking at, but yes, lets focus on the remote control quality.

The final indignity was when we finally picked a model, and when we go to pay, my dad suddenly pipes up "Lets get one of the stores credit cards! We can put it on that." So the guy is running a quick credit check, which I have none of as a barely employed teen, and denies the credit application. Queue my dad to start in on another story about me wanting to build my credit to buy a home and move out. Bitch what? I'm 15, home ownership is not even a twinkle in my eye yet. And like the guy is going to be swayed by the tragic story and go "Aww shucks, sure, we'll give your son a free-money card. To heck with what the bank says."

And it continues to this day, just much worse. To an outsider it might seem like dementia, but I know the truth in that my dad is just a loving boomer dumbass who hasn't had a thought more elevated than "what time dinner is?" in his entire life.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Spinz posted:

Truly evil people, you have to walk away.

Heck you should feel free to walk away from people just for being mildly annoying. The easiest way to make the biggest difference to overall wellbeing is generally to prioritize your self.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
My border x-boomer in laws couldn’t understand why a house we saw on Zillow with 1 more bedroom, 1 more bathroom, 1 more kitchen!!, 500 more square feet, nicer build quality, amazing style (they guy who owned it for 30 years had an architecture firm—it looked like what McMansions ape the style from), in a safer area, and with a better school district is worth more than their condo.

It would be a bad buy because it needed 8k in roof repairs. It went up 500k in the last year.

They also didn’t buy in Sunnyvale CA in the early 2000s because the “schools were bad”. They moved to east side San Jose to an unaccredited school district. The house they didn’t buy (900k then) is now worth 2.3m.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 13, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The North Tower posted:

They also didn’t buy in Sunnyvale CA in the early 2000s because the “schools were bad”. They moved to east side San Jose to an unaccredited school district. The house they didn’t buy (900k then) is now worth 2.3m.

Don't the Sunnyvale schools have a vampire problem though?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Only when it’s Cloudyvale

e: I’m sorry, I’ll show myself out

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 13, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Soylent Pudding posted:

Plus 2.3 million isn’t really a true value when the town collapses and it’s sat at the bottom of a gaping maw.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
housing is a basket of attributes

and it sounds like they made a rational decision to value proximity of mexican and vietnamese restaurants over indian and chinese restaurants

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Soylent Pudding posted:

Sunnyvale has a reprobate problem with dope-dealers and gunplay who can't abide by the simple rules of living in a wholesome trailer park.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Greg12 posted:

housing is a basket of attributes

and it sounds like they made a rational decision to value proximity of mexican and vietnamese restaurants over indian and chinese restaurants

Nope. East Side, and they’re Indian. My confusion grows every time they try to give financial advice to us. Oh well, they’re not that bad. Had just been over for a lesson on how the house we had noticed a year ago wasn’t good because :no reason:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mojo1701a posted:

Sunnyvale has a reprobate problem with dope-dealers and gunplay who can't abide by the simple rules of living in a wholesome trailer park.

Yeah, well they've also got a problem with their drunk, smelling like hamburger helper drunk mafucka supervisor.
And his assistant is even worse, that fuckin no shirt wearing 15 cheeseburger eating basketball swallowin' walrus rear end muthafucka.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What are you going on about

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdlIKy2lJ_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFo84MVbVQ8

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 14, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ugh, my dad does that "updating random people with personal info" all the time.

The worst I ever experienced it was when he came with me as young teen, as I wanted to buy my own TV with the money I was earning in my first real job. He offered to come and haggle with the guy, so I thought yeah, sounds great. So we're looking at various models, and then an employee comes over to help. Once he starts figuring out what we need, he of course tries to get us to by the extended warranty. My dad then goes into this spiel about "Oh we don't need that. I know this guy, Mike, he works... do you know Mike? He works at the TV shop over on 3rd. He can fix any problem, so we won't need the warranty. Mike owes me too, he got into a jam 2 years back and I helped him out. Of course, that was right around the time I was working two jobs to make some extra cash for this new property we were buying, which the wife was overseeing. See, she wanted to....."

Meanwhile my soul is escaping my body through every orifice, as I tug on his arm trying to tell him this minimum wage slave doesn't care about your friend Mike or what happened years ago. He then replies "Yes he does, he wants to know why we don't need the warranty", which is not something the guy inquired about at all. Finally I get my dad to break off, and I continue with the sales guy. Not 2 minutes later, as I'm trying to work a deal with the guy, my dad, the "master haggler" is looking at some other TV going "Son, this one has a better remote, lets get this one." The TV also happened to be about a $1000 more expensive than the models I was looking at, but yes, lets focus on the remote control quality.

The final indignity was when we finally picked a model, and when we go to pay, my dad suddenly pipes up "Lets get one of the stores credit cards! We can put it on that." So the guy is running a quick credit check, which I have none of as a barely employed teen, and denies the credit application. Queue my dad to start in on another story about me wanting to build my credit to buy a home and move out. Bitch what? I'm 15, home ownership is not even a twinkle in my eye yet. And like the guy is going to be swayed by the tragic story and go "Aww shucks, sure, we'll give your son a free-money card. To heck with what the bank says."

And it continues to this day, just much worse. To an outsider it might seem like dementia, but I know the truth in that my dad is just a loving boomer dumbass who hasn't had a thought more elevated than "what time dinner is?" in his entire life.

Buried loving lede there.

Do morons really just pick up random credit cards like an extra order of fries?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yes.

My dad told me a story yesterday about how he was running some sort of scam in the 1970s to avoid being charged fees on the very early “credit cards” (not sure it means what he thinks it means), he would get his wages paid into one bank account and kill any interest charges, withdraw the money at the counter and then walk with several thousand pounds in his pocket to the other end of London to pay it into a different bank and kill those interest charges, week later when it was cleared he would take the money back out and put it in the first bank to pay his mortgage.

At no point did he think of getting a taxi or a bus.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Outrail posted:

Buried loving lede there.

Do morons really just pick up random credit cards like an extra order of fries?

Oh hell yes. Cards are usually marketed to people's ego like they are "entitled" to this rare 3.69% opening rate (25.9% after six months) so they sign up.

Remember that banks are in the business of selling you money.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wait, you're saying I can just buy money? What the gently caress am I working for, then?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*mcgruff voice* “it’s called ‘kiting’, and it’s a crime.”

insta
Jan 28, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Yes.

My dad told me a story yesterday about how he was running some sort of scam in the 1970s to avoid being charged fees on the very early “credit cards” (not sure it means what he thinks it means), he would get his wages paid into one bank account and kill any interest charges, withdraw the money at the counter and then walk with several thousand pounds in his pocket to the other end of London to pay it into a different bank and kill those interest charges, week later when it was cleared he would take the money back out and put it in the first bank to pay his mortgage.

Your dad's scam was to pay his bills on time?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Yes.

I don't think I understand all this but it sounds like your dad went through entirely too much effort to dodge what are probably by today's standards very low interest fees.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

insta posted:

Your dad's scam was to pay his bills on time?
It sounds like the banks had some kind of "deposit X per month to avoid being charged fees" thing so he was taking the same X pounds and rotating them through several banks. It's not so much a scam as it is a thing that, when I joined my current bank, they actively recommended I set up with (free) automatic transfers.

Some banks require you to maintain a minimum balance as well/instead.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I had/have a bank account that gets 3% higher interest every month if $100 or more is deposited and there are no withdraws. So you set up an automatic $100 monthly payment from your regular account to that account, then set up a $1200 annual payment from the saving account to your regular one and let the money flow back and forth getting incrementally bigger every year. Or you realise this is stupid and dump the $1200 into a managed fund and get twice the interest for even less work. Money is stupid.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Outrail posted:

I had/have a bank account that gets 3% higher interest every month if $100 or more is deposited and there are no withdraws. So you set up an automatic $100 monthly payment from your regular account to that account, then set up a $1200 annual payment from the saving account to your regular one and let the money flow back and forth getting incrementally bigger every year. Or you realise this is stupid and dump the $1200 into a managed fund and get twice the interest for even less work. Money is stupid.

It was probably considerably less lovely and predatory in the 70s.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The issue was that the tight fucker was doing it to a exact timetable and walking through London with his entire pay check twice every month instead of spending 50p on the bus. “I’m lucky I didn’t get robbed ha ha!”

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sounds like a nice walk to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Splicer posted:

It sounds like the banks had some kind of "deposit X per month to avoid being charged fees" thing so he was taking the same X pounds and rotating them through several banks. It's not so much a scam as it is a thing that, when I joined my current bank, they actively recommended I set up with (free) automatic transfers.

Some banks require you to maintain a minimum balance as well/instead.

Outrail posted:

Yea, theres this thing called kasasa, for a while in the 20teens you could get like 3% interest and ATM fees refunded on a kasasa branded checking account. Obviously interest rates collapsed during the corona crash in March 20 so that doesn't really exist anymore. But yea, I'd do something like that. You had to make so many debit purchases a month etc. I live in a city so I'd just throw a buck on my metrocard whenever I'm waiting and earn $25 by spending $10. Given that I've had broke friends walk four five blocks to find an ATM so they wouldn't have to pay $2-3 there's people for who this makes sense.

Given that you need to have *some* cash on hand, and lots of people don't have enough to dump a grand into a fund where you can end up making no money AND losing your principal AND can't get at it in a hurry, a *guaranteed* return of 3% or so on money you can actually spend isn't bad. Couple hundred bucks worth a year, it's not going to buy you a house, but if you only have a couple thousand or less in the bank, there's nothing you can 'invest' your money in that's going to pay off in a real way (that $1200 at 7% compounded 50 years will buy you six months in a care home, if you're healthy).

Anyway, like someone else said, I set up autodeposits and used my debit and it takes care of itself. I'm not walking across town with a thousand bucks in my pocket during the 70s, the worst decade for street crime ever. 0% chance a boomer in the golden age needed to scrap and budget that hard.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 16, 2021