Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If anyone is in the U.K. RBS has a maximum Ł50 a month deposit account that gives you 3% interest on the first thousand and then 0.1% after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My province has been rolling out the vaccines based on age, starting with 90+, then 80+, etc

We entered into the 30-35 yo range this week, 35-40 being last week.

Boomers are super angry because of the inconvenience this has suddenly brought to lives, angry Facebook posting about how unfair it is that they are now having to compete with younger people for appointments, despite literally having a designated week when they could sign up for an appointment at a location most convenient for them with a full range of options of which vaccine they would like to get.

It very much feels like a common “This vaccine is meant for US, idgaf about anyone else!” attitude.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

learnincurve posted:

The issue was that the tight fucker was doing it to a exact timetable and walking through London with his entire pay check twice every month instead of spending 50p on the bus. “I’m lucky I didn’t get robbed ha ha!”
Yeah the free and automatic transfers are kind of a big component. Spending time and risk on it is a whole other bag.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Re: Vaccines, Doug Coupland (writer of the book “Generation X”) has views on how the (Canadian) vaccine rollout has been pretty poo poo for GenX’rs yet again.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-astrazeneca-fiasco-is-the-latest-example-of-the-gen-x-curse/

Basically because :canada: is behind on things like vaccine production we have been beg borrowing and stealing from whoever and got a lot of AstraZenica delivered. After the whole potential for clots things it was limited to certain ages (55-65), and those ages in the younger boomer cohort decided nah I will wait for the good stuff. Then they dropped the minimum age for it to 45 and GenXers absolutely bumrushed it because we knew we’d get hosed over if we waited. And now the provinces have decided well maybe it’s too risky and have stopped giving AZ for all and are musing about mixing 2nd doses etc. So now we’re all “what the gently caress?!?”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's talk about opening the border again, maybe come on down to the states on a day trip for the J&J shot when they open'er up.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's talk about opening the border again, maybe come on down to the states on a day trip for the J&J shot when they open'er up.

Our batshit crazy rich idiot premiere is a step ahead! Said our teachers can just go to ND for their shots.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7820021/manitoba-teachers-covid-19-vaccine-north-dakota/amp/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

As a BCer I find it really weird to not have the craziest provincial government in the country and not even in the top 3 of crazies at that.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
How the hell is it that so much of the rest of the world is doing the vaccine rollout worse than the US? Right now my main concern is about when my 10 year old will be able to get a vaccination like his 12+ year old siblings.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

How the hell is it that so much of the rest of the world is doing the vaccine rollout worse than the US? Right now my main concern is about when my 10 year old will be able to get a vaccination like his 12+ year old siblings.

With Canada it was all due to supply because we don’t have domestic manufacturing and the US/Europe were keeping them for domestic use. But now the taps have opened and it looks like Canada will pass the US in % vaccinated in the next little while because our rate of vaxx hesitant people is much lower because fox news brain isn’t as widespread here.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Most of the vaccines had patents and until recently the US refused ro wave them so other countries with pharmaceutical manufacturing industries couldn't make the vaccines. Add on to that that the US bought up most of the ingredients to make the vaccines and you get your answer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I feel that parts of the US are going to have weird medical reputations and special travel advisories before going near them, like countries that still have Black Plague warnings and poo poo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Plague exists in Colorado, all up in the prairie dog population.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't armadillos carry the plague AND leprosy?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't armadillos carry the plague AND leprosy?

I don't know about plague, but they are one of the few other mammals that can contract leprosy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well thanks for waking me up and forcing me to set up do not disturb on a schedule random boomer from my support group

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The phone will not charge

Because I will have a magical solution to a iPhone cable not working on a phone I suggested he get 3 years ago, because I suggested it is now my responsibility and fault FOR THE REST OF TIME

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

learnincurve posted:

The phone will not charge

Because I will have a magical solution to a iPhone cable not working on a phone I suggested he get 3 years ago, because I suggested it is now my responsibility and fault FOR THE REST OF TIME

You're like the Boomer whisperer. It's eerie.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The fone churches again now

Sent him to the lads who do the phone unlocking and he said it got pushed in for no reason, Yusuf called me 5 minutes later and said it was popcorn stuck in the charger port.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

learnincurve posted:

it was popcorn stuck in the charger port.

New thread title.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Cythereal posted:

In high school and college, I was promised that boomers were retiring and there'd be tons of job openings.

They aren't retiring, and when they die holding their job, the position is simply eliminated and its responsibilities distributed to the remaining workers.

gently caress it.

Figure out way to automate the boomer job faster.
There is no moving up the ladder.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

moderna or bust wouldnt trust johnson and johnson. infact idk of anywhere in rural nc where they have j & j even after they fixed the problem.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I got the J&J shot over a month ago and I'm not getting any better cell signal for it. But otherwise I'm fine. Late 30s white dude though, so it's not like blood clotting was happening much in my age group. Got it 3 days before it was pulled.

Gonna give me a line of catholic drivel about embryonic stem cells like my mother did? Because I'm burning in hell for it, let my mother tell you. The bitch.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao:

Although "can you check in the back?" Was always my favorite, because it gave me an excuse to sit down in the back room for 10 minutes and come back with "sorry can't find any"

I am late to this conversation but I never understood this

Did people working the floors seriously do this and just stop when the wages became awful, or is it just boomers felt magically entitled to their whole lives

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Truniht posted:

I am late to this conversation but I never understood this

Did people working the floors seriously do this and just stop when the wages became awful, or is it just boomers felt magically entitled to their whole lives

How stock is managed and tracked has changed drastically over boomers life times so when they were young it could reasonably happen. They are also insanely privileged and many never worked an actual retail gig and have no conception that someone making 7.25 an hour is making a whole shitload less than a person making minimum wage did when they were younger.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If the millennials/zoomers actually went ahead with the general strike that gets mentioned every now and the what side of the picket like will Gen X be sitting?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Outrail posted:

If the millennials/zoomers actually went ahead with the general strike that gets mentioned every now and the what side of the picket like will Gen X be sitting?

Who cares? Lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Barudak posted:

How stock is managed and tracked has changed drastically over boomers life times so when they were young it could reasonably happen. They are also insanely privileged and many never worked an actual retail gig and have no conception that someone making 7.25 an hour is making a whole shitload less than a person making minimum wage did when they were younger.

Definitely, it's not like the back room of a standalone chain store is neatly organized and everything is within reach. It's more like a warehouse, so sure that thing may be back there, but it's on a pallet 30 feet in the air, and all the forklift operators went home at 5.

Not to mention most of the supply chain is just in time, so most goods literally get put on the floor as soon as they're taken off the truck (or as soon as they can get the minimum wage workers off the floor long enough to stock it). To top it off, what is put on the floor is determined by some algorithm at the distribution center, usually in another state.

There really isn't much location tracking at the store level, so if something is in the back room, it's probably lost, only to be found years later and gets a 90% clearance sticker (I got a nice pair of wireless headphones for $11 this way)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Who cares? Lol

There aren't enough to matter, so this is correct.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Definitely, it's not like the back room of a standalone chain store is neatly organized and everything is within reach. It's more like a warehouse, so sure that thing may be back there, but it's on a pallet 30 feet in the air, and all the forklift operators went home at 5.

Not to mention most of the supply chain is just in time, so most goods literally get put on the floor as soon as they're taken off the truck (or as soon as they can get the minimum wage workers off the floor long enough to stock it).

Yeah poo poo could be on any of a dozen plastic-wrapped pallets and I'm not walking around them all hoping that your dumb item is on the outside of one where I can actually get to it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When a customer asks you to check in back, you treat that as a 5 minute break. Go to the back and have a seat, get a drink, take a smoke break if you can. Then return to the customer and shrug.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Outrail posted:

The older Xers will go with the boomers and the younger ones with the Millennials but yeah no one will care

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Who's GenX?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

insta posted:

Who's GenX?

No body is is.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Boomers love to buy FAGE Greek Yogurt: deliciously rich and creamy, made with only milk and live active yogurt cultures. The possibilities are as endless as your imagination. Fruit combinations. Nuts. Nut butters. Chocolate nibs. It’s a canvas for endless possibilities. Best of all, creating something extraordinary with FAGE Total is something you can do every single day. Whatever time of day you have it—breakfast, late afternoon, after your workout—is the best part of your day. It’s food for imagination. It’s anything but plain. It’s FAGE Total.

But even though Boomers love it so much, can they correctly pronounce FAGE?

DOUBTFUL!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
ah, yes, Fagephagy

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Bonaventure posted:

Boomers love to buy FAGE Greek Yogurt: deliciously rich and creamy, made with only milk and live active yogurt cultures. The possibilities are as endless as your imagination. Fruit combinations. Nuts. Nut butters. Chocolate nibs. It’s a canvas for endless possibilities. Best of all, creating something extraordinary with FAGE Total is something you can do every single day. Whatever time of day you have it—breakfast, late afternoon, after your workout—is the best part of your day. It’s food for imagination. It’s anything but plain. It’s FAGE Total.

But even though Boomers love it so much, can they correctly pronounce FAGE?

DOUBTFUL!

Yes, boomers drop the E.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Plague exists in Colorado, all up in the prairie dog population.

Because some California harbormasters knew infected boats had docked but covered it up until it had made it into squirrels. I learned this almost right after reading 'The Rats on the Waterfront' about this heroic attempt to stamp out a plague epidemic on the NYC docks during WWII - that succeeded, mostly because everyone in a position to react reacted appropriately and without ego - then read about it having already by that point been west coast endemic for a half century because the people in charge just basically shrugged, blamed the Chinatowns for the outbreak and clocked out early for a quick nine holes.

It's eventually going to be countrywide, cats out of the bag, it's too widespread to contain anymore and there's not a whole lot you can do to keep it from moving east with different rodents. Nothing to do with boomers, this was their (great?) grandparents calling shots. But still, the same sort of decision making process they'd craft into a generational ethos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_plague_of_1900%E2%80%931904

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Boomers love feeding dogs table scraps and are amazed that my dogs are svelte and healthy. No, dad, you can't give Skippy your steak fat. No, mom, I don't feed Skippy chips and guac (!). When my FIL dogsits, we have to be explicit. And then he just gives the dog ten treats a day.

Skippy: :cheersdoge:

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Giving dogs table scraps is cool and good.